Author Topic: Cosplay (non-SSSS)  (Read 46174 times)

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
Re: Cosplay (non-SSSS)
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »
Ohh, Sunny, you are a Jane Austen fan too!!! Eeee!
Amazing costume! You look so pretty!

And Trinka, the 60's girl costume is SO BEAUTIFUL! I can't stop looking at it!
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2015, 01:10:29 AM »
Trinka, the 60's girl costume is SO BEAUTIFUL! I can't stop looking at it!
Thank you, I really enjoyed wearing it around, I got lots of compliments. Plus it was surprisingly comfy and I could justify doing lame 60s dances whenever i wanted to, which was fun  :D

I highly recommend finding any excuse you can possibly think of to dress up in costumes based on a certain time period: it's lots of fun to scrounge around in your stash of accessories for the righ pieces, and browse local thrift/vintage stores for great outfits!
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2015, 03:30:27 PM »
Hey all, I'm just gonna leave some pictures here for your enjoyment. Or not. You choose  :) They are in reverse chronological order, from most recent to oldest, and some of them aren't TECHNICALLY cosplay, but involves me dressing up in period costumes, so what the heck, they're gonna live here now.

My first official cosplay ever was this year, at Wondercon. I can agree with all the others on this thread: cons are wonderful, awesome, nerd-tastic fun for all! You should definitely try to make it to one at least once in your life; it's as experience! I went as Catwoman, and my sister Alethryia went as Black Canary, both DC comics characters

Spoiler: show

I bought the goggles online and my mum made the cap to my specs, in case anyone is wondering

Breaking into your house and stealing all your stuff

This gettup is for a 70s party that I went to. Going for an early 70s-chic look here, none of that disco nonsense  ;) Bought a vintage dress and paired it with accessories from my collection (plus my mom helped me learn how to macrame the hat-band, which was pretty cool!)

You've already seen one of these photos, but here are some close-ups too of my Cindy-Lauper tribute for an 80s party.

Boom, dressing up for St. Patrick's Day

In 2013, I decided my Halloween costume was going to be a 60s girl, complete with vintage dress!

Dressing up as an explorer to traipse around Disneyland for Halloween. It was super comfy and practical, plus I had a working canteen to stash by drinks in (non-alcoholic of course)

This is waaaaay back in 2011, when I went to school for Halloween as Professor Chaos, from the TV show South Park. The premise is that the character is a regular kid who sometimes dons the persona of "Professor Chaos" when he want's to rebel against his restrictive parents and society. All lighthearted fun, plus he makes his own costume out of tinfoil, and little matching costumes for his "minions" (which are just hamsters).

In keeping with continuity, I covered my boots and gloves in tin-foil. Which I HIGHLY recommend you DON'T do; that stuff will tear itself apart SUPER easily, even if you wrap it all in duct tape  :-\

These are all really good! I really like the DC comics universe so the Catwoman/Selina Kyle and Black Canary costumes are obvious favourites. Did you sew the actual suit yourself or is it prefabricated? I don't know much about sewing but I get the impression that sewing leather and leather imitations is somewhat tricky.

I though the Cindy Lauper one was a Culture-Club cosplay :P

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2015, 04:26:40 PM »
These are all really good! I really like the DC comics universe so the Catwoman/Selina Kyle and Black Canary costumes are obvious favourites. Did you sew the actual suit yourself or is it prefabricated? I don't know much about sewing but I get the impression that sewing leather and leather imitations is somewhat tricky.

I though the Cindy Lauper one was a Culture-Club cosplay :P

Hahaha   no.
I do not have those levels of sewing. My sewing skills are like... 0. Level zero. 99% of every costume I wear is stuff I have found/bought in various stores to meet my needs. The catsuit is actually not spandex or pleather; it's a fabric polyester with a black sheen to it. It's actually SUPER comfortable, breathes very easily, is thin and flexible (an all around great fabric. It looks like pleather, without all the hassles.   ;)  I bought it around Halloween time (it was actually SUPER hard to find a basic black catsuit. Like, what the heck? That's a costuming basic, so I was amazed no one was selling them). I actually had to buy mine at a "questionable" store that specializes in rebellious/scandalous clothing. It was the last one available, and it was the perfect size for me. Couldn't be happier! The whip I found at HotTopic, goggles from Amazon, corset from Windsor's, my mom helped me sew the cap, and everything else was stuff I had lying around.

Long story short: if you are looking for cosplay basics, I recommend you plan in advance and start looking around near Halloween. There is lots of costuming gear available that you can easily (and cheaply) edit to your needs   :D

And YYYAAAYYY to the Culture Club! The costume was mostly just inspired by the crazy half-hazard fashion of the 80s, not any one person in particular. I was heavily inspired my Cindy and Boy George, so I'm glad you picked up on that!
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2015, 08:52:11 PM »
Wehehel, I'm actually surprised this thread only just came into existence, I mean, considering how creative everyone here is there would definitely be some amazeballs cosplays about right? (answer is totally yes). I checked out the Laufey video and I am so freaking impressed, both by the costume and by the little skit. I mean, the song choice is so perfect and the outfit is bang on, seriously who knew camping mattresses would look so much like armour  ??? No wonder you ended up representing Iceland ^_^

Ana Nymus - Finland balloon is actually somehow perfect? I actually laughed out loud when I looked under the spoiler :P

Martti - You actually make a really good SATW Finland, as that's a pretty impressive and scary kill-face you've managed to conjure up, and let's face it, the expressions is half of the costume. I can't say much about the Hetalia stuff because I'm not familiar with it, but it looks like you had a lot of fun at the con, and I manage to recognise the where it was from before reading the comments so you must be doing something right :)

Okay, so there's a thing where i'm not too sure where the line between cosplay and regular costumes stops, but I've a series of embarassments I'm willing to have people laugh over, and maybe one or two where I don't think they're too terrible :P Here we go

Princess Mononoke - my first "cosplay" attempt when I'd just started at uni. It was pretty bad but I still like it, feel free to laugh mind, it was basically a modified pillow case and some extra bits,
[spoiler]

Dragon Kid - Still proud of the ear things, even though it was never actually properly finished. It resulted in all the other cosplaying people getting pictures taken wearing it over the course of the night so I've some real happy memories associated with it ^_^

Toph - +10 badass score when you wear this costume

Pabu (from Legend of Korra)

Lemongrab - actually my brother wearing it (getting my brother into cosplay is 100% a miracle), but seeing as I made the entire thing and you can't see his face, figure it should be okay to post it.

Halloween (soon after watching the book of life :P ) - flowery dead Gwenno ^_^ I designed the patterns all myself and really liked how it looked, although it was definitely a lazy ass costume decision

Astrid HTTYD - definitely my favourite, debatably best cosplay. I had no idea who to cosplay for Geek Bop (a dance organised by the sci-fi/fantasy/anime/gaming societies at my uni and the reason for most of the above) and was stressing a bit when my mum just tells be to go as Astrid because she'd basically me anyway and I was like  :o because it was just such an obvious choice once it was pointed out...
[/spoiler]
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2015, 07:58:23 AM »
I fiiiinally finished editing photos so here are all my cosplay-related posts from Närcon:

Cosplay 1: cosplays I recognized.
Cosplay 2: cosplays that I didn't recognize but were too cool to not photograph.
Cosplay 3: my biggest personal weaknesses, cosplay-wise.

Awesome cosplays up ahead, just saying! Närcon is a great opportunity for cosplay-hunting. :3

Gwenno: I may or may not be a super cheap person when it comes to materials, if there's a non-expensive option I'll go for it! :D Besides Dragon Age 2 features some really, REALLY thick armour pieces so I felt worbla or some similar material just would not look clunky enough. A friend suggested camping mattresses, I thought of it for a moment and got myself two cheapo 6mm ones and well, they were perfect.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2015, 08:09:43 AM »
You met the glow cloud!!!! ALL HAIL
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
I fiiiinally finished editing photos so here are all my cosplay-related posts from Närcon:

Cosplay 2: cosplays that I didn't recognize but were too cool to not photograph.

Awesome cosplays up ahead, just saying! Närcon is a great opportunity for cosplay-hunting. :3

Gwenno: I may or may not be a super cheap person when it comes to materials, if there's a non-expensive option I'll go for it! :D Besides Dragon Age 2 features some really, REALLY thick armour pieces so I felt worbla or some similar material just would not look clunky enough. A friend suggested camping mattresses, I thought of it for a moment and got myself two cheapo 6mm ones and well, they were perfect.
Aaaaa all of these are so nice!!! :D Making me want to start cosplaying even more, but... curse my lack of money/sewing skills

It seems like you get a much bigger variety in costumes than conventions I've been to here in North America, which is fantastic! And like, MOOMIN COSPLAY! I've never seen Moomin cosplay ever in my entire life XD This is amazing
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2015, 11:44:16 AM »
Astrid HTTYD - definitely my favourite, debatably best cosplay. I had no idea who to cosplay for Geek Bop (a dance organised by the sci-fi/fantasy/anime/gaming societies at my uni and the reason for most of the above) and was stressing a bit when my mum just tells be to go as Astrid because she'd basically me anyway and I was like  :o because it was just such an obvious choice once it was pointed out...
[/spoiler]

I have to admit: I have not watched that movie. But I can see why it's your favourite cosplay!

That's a lot of great cosplays! The Elf-Quest and Ace Attorney ones made me really nostalgic.

And that Furiosa is very interesting. An aquaintance mentioned she's in the process of making a Furiosa costume. I kind of want to make a Mad Max: Fury Road costume as well.

The woman in the first picture in part two is Juvia Loxar. The guys with the orange pants and a mask are from Borderlands. I think the knight with the antlered helmet is meant to be Robert Baratheon.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:51:33 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2015, 11:58:59 AM »
And that Furiosa is very interesting. An aquaintance mentioned she's in the process of making a Furiosa costume. I kind of want to make a Mad Max: Fury Road costume as well.

The woman in the first picture in part two is Juvia Loxar. The guys with the orange pants and a mask are from Borderlands. I think the knight with the antlered helmet is meant to be Robert Baratheon.

All Furiosa is good Furiosa, and Fury Road cosplays in general make the world a better place. If I had to guts to shave my head I'd go for Furiosa as well but I'm a wimp so... no. Thank you for the help, I added the info to the post (figures, I never followed Fairy Tail so I know Bob-all about it, not recognizing the Baratheon one is a bit more embarrassing :D )!

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2015, 12:04:32 PM »
If I had to guts to shave my head I'd go for Furiosa as well but I'm a wimp so... no.

Eh, I remember your introduction page on NCC said something about Askeladd from Vinland Saga being one of your projects. You won't make a convincing Askeladd without a haircut and a little bit of trimming near the temples  ;)

But yes, no. A total shave is a no-go for me too.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2015, 12:14:55 PM »
Eh, I remember your introduction page on NCC said something about Askeladd from Vinland Saga being one of your projects. You won't make a convincing Askeladd without a haircut and a little bit of trimming near the temples  ;)

But yes, no. A total shave is a no-go for me too.

Stop remembering things I've said and holding me up to my word holy sh- I mean ahem that's very true.  ;D But Askeladden is absolutely wonderful a character and I can always dream...

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »
All Furiosa is good Furiosa, and Fury Road cosplays in general make the world a better place. If I had to guts to shave my head I'd go for Furiosa as well but I'm a wimp so... no. Thank you for the help, I added the info to the post (figures, I never followed Fairy Tail so I know Bob-all about it, not recognizing the Baratheon one is a bit more embarrassing :D )!
You could go as Valkyrie! Her costume is also really interesting :D

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
You could go as Valkyrie! Her costume is also really interesting :D

Or the bullet farmer :P It's one of the most interesting costumes in my opinion next to Furiosa and Max. In principle a little bit like the Bride Story costume.

Stop remembering things I've said and holding me up to my word holy sh-

I have a great medium term memory. Unfortunately I don't really have much long term memory and hardly any short term memory.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:35:06 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2015, 12:41:31 PM »
In principle a little bit like the Bride Story costume.

Dammit Fimby XD you do NOT want to know where my brain went with that... >_>