Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841784 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #3225 on: July 16, 2015, 07:56:07 PM »
The rest of the group apart from like, 3 or 4 people is pretty introverted and/or quiet and/or "'"'sane'"'" (my family has a huge history of mental illness and I get touchy about implied "'"'"'"'insanity'"'"'"'"'") so yeah, I don't know where I'm going with this but Karri =/= crazy and I'm just a little uncomfortable/miffed about constant categorizations as such when for once a character is not as introverted as the rest of the group

I apologize if my use of the word was offensive. I just meant it in the way Fim's talking about; my character wouldn't think that the people she worked with were actually mentally ill. (the second definition for 'sane' in the dictionary is in fact 'sensible/reasonable') Also I assumed Clara would be working mostly with the other cleansers and some of the hunters - the ones that seem to be most enthusiastic - so meeting people who are more introverted and maybe calmer would be a relief to her. (I'm not very comfortable around really enthusiastic people IRL so I was just reflecting that on her)

Oh dear Fimby & Curry! I would hope that it's not being interpreted as actually thinking any teammates are insane vs sane, it's more daredevil vs cautious to me!

^Also this.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

callipygous

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • im gonna appropriate bro culture and make it gay
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her+they/them
« Reply #3226 on: July 16, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »
hi guys! karma here just to say i completely agree with curry, and it would be great if people stopped throwing around the terms 'crazy/insane' and the like to describe characters! it can be incredibly hurtful to those who have had troubles with mental issues, whether personally or through friends and family. please be mindful that even though it doesnt bother you, it can be offensive and upsetting to others. i see that theyve been used to mean more like 'reckless' or 'enthusiastic', and if thats the case, its far better to use those terms or synonymous ones to get your point across. im sorry if i come across as harsh or anything, but its really a rather serious issue that i have personal experience with, and as such i have pretty strong feelings about it and its been bothering me for some time

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #3227 on: July 16, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »

Here's Trinka's Mimmi and Swagger!

this is as much bike i am willing to draw

EeeeeEeeEEEeee! Mimmi's been Haiz'ed! I love how confident she looks on her little bike... Like she's saying "No thanks needed ma'am. It's all in a day's work!"

And that wink tho, what a little cheek! And Swagger looks so darn excited to be doing deliveries, such a cutie! :D

I love it Haiz! Thanks a bundle!
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3228 on: July 17, 2015, 01:02:01 AM »
yeah the calling people crazy/insane has been bothering me for a little while too i'm glad i'm not just overly sensitive on this

I already know Haiz has friends in group 2 (and the other groups, too), so it's not like they stay completely separated all the time? ......though what does it say about Haiz if ze keeps hanging out with "that rowdy bunch".
and what resulted in Haiz doing... whatever lead to the blart incident, anyway? They needed a group 3 mage and nobody else volunteered?
"I don't see how any of the rumours surrounding the team 2 captain can be true, they sound ridiculous"
*two hours later*
"... I can attest to maybe some of the rumours probably having some truth in them no i dont wanna talk about it."

EeeeeEeeEEEeee! Mimmi's been Haiz'ed! I love how confident she looks on her little bike... Like she's saying "No thanks needed ma'am. It's all in a day's work!"

And that wink tho, what a little cheek! And Swagger looks so darn excited to be doing deliveries, such a cutie! :D

I love it Haiz! Thanks a bundle!
EEE!!! I'm glad you like it, I had a lot of fun drawing it ^______________^
you'll know where to find me.

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3229 on: July 17, 2015, 04:28:26 AM »
ClarityKoi/Claire:
I tried expressions. And hair! Sumeris tutorial on hair was really helpful.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #3230 on: July 17, 2015, 05:43:19 AM »
Double posting today but I was browsing for more parkour poses from the remaining scouts and stumbled upon an image that absolutely had to be adapted.
Group 5, two minutes after Daéas picture (when everyone went to see how much of Julians chicken was salvageable):
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:45:57 AM by Unlos »

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #3231 on: July 17, 2015, 06:28:15 AM »
Double posting today but I was browsing for more parkour poses from the remaining scouts and stumbled upon an image that absolutely had to be adapted.
Group 5, two minutes after Daéas picture (when everyone went to see how much of Julians chicken was salvageable):

Delightfully amusing! Cats are such acrobats. ;)
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3232 on: July 17, 2015, 09:04:57 AM »
I'M SORRY FOR BRINGING UP THE BLART INCIDENT ALL THE TIME but i accidentally played out an entire dialogue in my head while at work today, and then my art reflex went a little rogue with it.

I'm sorry if there's any mischaracterization

Spoiler: it got a little long • show

you'll know where to find me.

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #3233 on: July 17, 2015, 10:19:31 AM »
I'M SORRY FOR BRINGING UP THE BLART INCIDENT ALL THE TIME but i accidentally played out an entire dialogue in my head while at work today, and then my art reflex went a little rogue with it.

GOSH DANG IT ALL TO GOLDURN PIECES NOW I'M TEARY. WHY DO YOU DO THIS.
(No offence but you make a terrible mace, pffft.)
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3234 on: July 17, 2015, 11:07:39 AM »
I drew pen doodles of Haiz on one of my many recent bus rides, and I like how this one turned out:

OH AND
ART TRADES HAPPENED
yes, art trades. plural.

Here's Trinka's Mimmi and Swagger!

this is as much bike i am willing to draw

aaand Gwenno! I've already drawn a little Gwenno here and there, always grinning... so I drew her a little more serious for a change:

I really like your Haiz sketch, there's something about hir expression that I like :)
The two art trades look amazing! You can move me to the bottom of the list if you want, I'm going to be busy with reports and preparations for going home during the coming 3 weeks :)

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #3235 on: July 17, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »

Very good! More, more!
(And no, I don't follow follow your tumblr, but I try to pin directly from there when I'm updating the self-insert pinterest board, and sometimes I linger. It's good! Me seeing the art-trades there first was a lucky coincidence. (And I'm starting to expect pinterest to autocomplete unicorngender.tumblr.com for me, but strangely it never does...)
Silent fox: Thank you! Bosse has turned into my favourite cat to draw ;)

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #3236 on: July 17, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »
Unlos: Claire looks so happy doing parkour! And Bosse is so focused... I love it!

Haiz: Is Fimby our expedition's version of Sigrun? ??? (The comic is amazing, obviously)
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #3237 on: July 17, 2015, 12:54:02 PM »
Haiz that is wonderful and also hilarious :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #3238 on: July 17, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »
(in reference to that whole mental health debate, my original post referred to the enthusiasm of the cleansers in contrast to the reserved, probably fairly inexperienced skalds, apologies for any inadvertent offense caused)
That said, Haiz, your hair-trigger art reflex just keeps improving!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3239 on: July 17, 2015, 01:34:58 PM »

Aw, that's adorable!  Insightful, too.  I think a lot of us have been in Helen's position of being pushed out of our comfort zones and finding it refreshing -- I know I have.  (I've never served as a troll mace, though.  Anyone trying to do that with me would need to be *extremely* strong.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: