Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841211 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #2985 on: July 07, 2015, 04:25:34 AM »

Oh no, losing hours of work sucks. D: This looks really promising and the Curry way of animating blood definitely works, I'm loving it already! Besides whooooo Lauftroll is moving!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #2986 on: July 07, 2015, 04:34:36 AM »
It moves?
Awwww I can't see it :/ *curses old technology and spotty subway station wifi*
One more month until I get a new phone and computer. One. More. Month.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #2987 on: July 07, 2015, 06:40:25 AM »
Ehehe, I was working on a concept gif for one of my OCs, but then my computer crashed, deleting 17 pages of animation, and I couldn't bring myself to go back and redo them so soon after losing them, so I did kind of a warm-up doodle for something I'll eventually do with Laufey's troll.

How to draw blood (by Curry):
1. dark red
2. SEIZURE
3. nice job you did it

Sorry for the lazy animation but I really needed to comfort myself after losing 3 hours of work :__3c
This somehow remind me of Jurassic Park and it looks awesome! The horror! =O
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #2988 on: July 07, 2015, 08:11:30 AM »
Ehehe, I was working on a concept gif for one of my OCs, but then my computer crashed, deleting 17 pages of animation, and I couldn't bring myself to go back and redo them so soon after losing them, so I did kind of a warm-up doodle for something I'll eventually do with Laufey's troll.

1. dark red
2. SEIZURE
3. nice job you did it

Sorry for the lazy animation but I really needed to comfort myself after losing 3 hours of work :__3c

Awesome! I can't wait to see the full thing.  By the way I can't remember how to code the resizing of a picture in HTML. That way my pic doesn't swallow the page.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #2989 on: July 07, 2015, 08:19:56 AM »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2990 on: July 07, 2015, 09:12:50 AM »

1. dark red
2. SEIZURE
3. nice job you did it

That is amazeballs, especially the "fluid animations"! Gotta wonder whose blood it is though.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2991 on: July 07, 2015, 10:06:12 AM »
Maybe I should write something-between-the-last-time-we-saw-your-character-and-team-2-missions...
I wouldn't be opposed to this :P but be warned, my artistic integrity would probably require for me to draw something else for you as well if you did....

1. dark red
2. SEIZURE
3. nice job you did it
There's something strangely hypnotic about this, some kind of attempted mind control maybe? I'm so impressed with people who can animate, and this looks really good, even for a quick thing. I'll be sure to keep your tutorial in mind for the next time I draw blood :P

Ooh, I really like this one! The posing of the figure and the tent drapery are good, and the troll-things are rather... might I say pretty?
Yayyyy, happy times ^_^ I really feel I'm starting to get the hang of people and fabrics a lot better now so I'm glad it shows (troll things are waaaaay too much fun to design)

I finally finished Katja Svannudattirs picture. Wow that was bigger than I thought. I'll make the next one smaller

Ooooh, that's some real swell shading there, there's some great fabric detail and all in all it looks very realistic and such a nice smile to boot ^_^

As for scanning software it's just the stuff that came with the printer (Epson), the thing is a little over ten years old I think and crashes 3/4 times when I try to scan something colour greater than 50dpi). I've accepted I won't get the colours I want (after trying for ages with Solokov's pic) so have been using more vibrant shades to try and counter it, but it still makes me sad to see the difference between the original and scanned versions  :-\
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2992 on: July 07, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »

1. dark red
2. SEIZURE
3. nice job you did it

That. Is. Terrifying. Great job!
Now I'm wondering what you'll do for Karri....
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #2993 on: July 07, 2015, 10:21:12 AM »
this is like, the third time alexis has been retconned
i need to stop(i swear this is the last time)

Alexis a few months into cleanser training.(i spent 50 million years on this. please don't ask whats happening to the hands)

and the bio yay

Alexis Eklund
(will take alex, or kick, but doesn't really like nicknames. tends to use not use nicknames for people, even if thats what everyone else calls them)

Nationality: Swede
Area of Birth: Inner Mora
Immunity: Yes
Profession: Cleanser-in-training, Untrained Finnish mage
Languages: Speaks/reads Swedish, speaks French, reads English

History: Alexis grew up on the rim of Inner Mora, living a cushy, if somewhat pressured and lonely life. By the age of ten however, she had become became completely fed up with her current situation, with her older twin sisters having fled to the four winds, and his mother not trusting his scatterbrained brother with anything. The pressures begin unloading to learn her heritage and keep it going, even though she doesn’t really want to. But with her academic parents, she did learn two old world languages, French and English. She begins dreaming about running away and joining the (a highly romanticized version) cleansers. Then she does it. She may have not thought this through enough. But its too late to go back now, and hey, it might be an adventure! And there is no way in hell she's going back.

Personality:

Spoiler: show

exuberant or angry there is little in between
nvm that fact actually i feel neutral most of the time with an undercurrent of annoyance running though everything

actually fairly good at controlling her emotions but just doesn’t bother

does attempt to make a good first impression?? i feel like this needs to be said

is trying to become a better person
is failing

do not flirt with her this is your only warning

meet me in the pit and yo chill could probably sum up her personality easily

believes strongly in justice but will also throw you under the bus if it means not getting in trouble
ok not all the time but most of the time

s t u b b o r n

will respect your personal space if she likes you
will not respect your personal space if she doesn’t like you

has snarky commentary running in her head 30% percent of the time
usually during fights

speaks the truth but will lie if it is needed
tends to lie a lot oops

finds many things amusing, mostly things that are not at all amusing
“why are you laughing. someone almost died. why.”
^ actually happened in real life

really loyal actually. will fight the sun for his friends.

puns everywhere

likes to start fights and thrives off conflict

jeez that’s a really long list of negative personality traits
is actually pretty thoughtful about things and tries to see things from the person’s point of view(when she calms down)

honestly her friends(all three of them) say entirely different and positive things about her for some reason
seriously im an entirely different person with people i like

gets attached super easily but trusts less easily

forgetful and is confused a good amount of the time

bad at empathy and is apathetic to a lot of things
but tries really hard when it comes to people i like

if you touch him without his permission Bad Things will happen

there’s probs something i’m missing but ok

Skills:
she’s only really been in the Cleansers training since February so lets see...
Spoiler: show
resistant to pain for some reason?????? like not super resistant but shes no baby(if she gets major damage, she will be screaming)

is actually pretty fast and can run for a long enough time not to die

has glasses that he never wears, but his without-glasses eyesight isn’t awful, so he goes without most of the time

good at lying

has magic that she has no idea how to use or that it’s even Finnish magic but she does know it is magic she doesn’t think she’s insane or anything

so it tends to express itself when she is really angry or scared.

but not really in a super harmful way unless she intends to harm

can do like 3 acts of magic before going out like a light

agile

likes jumping around on things and is jittery and finds it impossible to stay still

can use rapiers, but is self-taught and his style is wild and uncoordinated because he's only been fighting trolls in the dreamworld

And the reason she understands English in this recton is so i could get her on the expedition without anything illegal happening. What basically happened was  -something something Alexis volunteered that could read English and signed on to the expedition but some skald read "Cleanser-in-training" on her form and signed her up to group two instead of group three.
so

Does her overwhemling amount of negative personality traits make up for the mary sue-ness? And this the skill stuff is based upon skills i have in real life, except the magic.

old bio

his/story (geddit?) is told (written before the recton, but it still applies, thankfully)

extra personality deatils

more extra personality details

will be updated as needed!

family tree thing
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:46:25 AM by KicknRun »

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2994 on: July 07, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »

Does her overwhemling amount of negative personality traits make up for the mary sue-ness? And this the skill stuff is based upon skills i have in real life, except the magic.

Not sure how she's a sue....
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Kizzy

• Not online everyday :c
« Reply #2995 on: July 07, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »

OH MY GOD. I have been staring at this for 10 minutes just admiring all of those tiny little details and I'm just, amazed. I love the makeshift tent (which is what she would totally do. She's not really equipped for living in the"wilderness"). And you've captured her body type nicely :D
The trolls...actually look pretty? I really like the fact that you've used dark, more muted colors on them while the middle has all of the bright colors; your eyes get immediately drawn to the center, the focal point of the drawing.
You've really put a lot of effort into this I hope to do the same thing with my part ❤
Fluent: :usa:
Decent:
Should know but doesn't: , Visaya
Wants to know: :finland: :iceland:, Persian, Navajo
Forgot: :spain: :france:

Chapter Survive
:chap7:

Instagram (=ↀωↀ=) Tumblr

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2996 on: July 07, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »

Arbet Adamsson
Known Aliases:
Arbet Skugganotandi
'' Fordaemus (current alias)
Jack O' The Shadows

Height: 6'4
Weight: 192 lbs
Nationality: Icelandic
Languages: Icelandic, Swedish, German, Latin
Religion: Christian
Backstory:
Dagrenning program child. Joined cleansers at age of 15. Served with distinction, attaining rank of 2nd Lieutenant. Squad wiped out in year 88 by Giant, wherein he was badly wounded. Spent most of the next year recovering from his injuries. Was placed on psychological probation during this time. Eventually released from hospital halfway through Year 89, and given a new squad to command. Disappeared on first mission with new squad, presumed dead.
Rediscovered by Team Two of the 2nd Expedition. Interviewed by Sara Hallander, and allowed to join Team Two. Has made no attempt to reclaim former rank, and has made little mention of former life as a soldier.

Known Abilities:
Standard Cleanser marksmanship and demolition training.
Standard officer training
Alchemic matrix allows shadow manipulation and teleportation, at the cost of being unable to perform normal Icelandic magic. Considers this a fair trade.
His known powers:
Being able to generate wings.
Summoning a huge broadsword for close-quarters combat.
Utilizing shadows as stabbing weapons or throwing bolts of shadow at the enemy.
High level of both swordsmanship and hand-to-hand skills.

Distinguishing Features: Scarring on left side of face. Runes tattooed on forearms and back.

Equipment:
An AK-10X rifle with the words JOSHUA 1:9 etched into the stock
a .45 caliber pistol
a christian cross, forged of iron on a leather thong around his neck
A pocket Bible

ATTACHED FILE:
Subject's runes appear similar in style and function to that of the Cult of Memory, a former Icelandic mage group. However, subject has no ties to said group.
Runes are bound by unknown magical elements, referred to as an 'alchemic array' by subject.
Runes operate on the principle of 'strength compression'. In short, subject could level a building with one punch, but be unable to walk for several hours afterwards. Therefore, he very rarely does anything overt.

Psychological Profile:
PTSD likely.
Shows keen interest in Old World knowledge.
Has made mention of 'raiders' from farther south. Possible civilizations beyond ours?
Has shown fanatical determination in protecting former churches and other places sacred to 'Christian' religion.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:21:36 AM by Ragnarok »

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #2997 on: July 07, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »

1. dark red
2. SEIZURE
3. nice job you did it

Huh, creepy...a nice compensation for us, but not so great that you lost so much work...

I finally finished Katja Svannudattirs picture. Wow that was bigger than I thought. I'll make the next one smaller

This is really beautiful!

this is like, the third time alexis has been retconned
i need to stop(i swear this is the last time)

Alexis a few months into cleanser training.(i spent 50 million years on this. please don't ask whats happening to the hands)

Seems that you are fleshing her out quite nicely! And it is a very pretty picture!

And blanket appreciation for all the other efforts! This thread moves so fast...
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #2998 on: July 07, 2015, 03:57:35 PM »
*climbs onto soap box*
I've been seeing a lot of people concerned about whether or not their characters are 'Mary Sues' and here's the thing:
A Mary Sue character is still a legitimate character. Heck, a Mary Sue character can even be an appealing character. Wish fulfillment is one of the primary reasons that humans tell stories, so don't feel bad if your character is along those lines.
So y'know. Keep being awesome and all that.
*awkwardly clambers down from soap box*
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2999 on: July 07, 2015, 04:00:58 PM »
*climbs onto soap box*
I've been seeing a lot of people concerned about whether or not their characters are 'Mary Sues' and here's the thing:
A Mary Sue character is still a legitimate character. Heck, a Mary Sue character can even be an appealing character. Wish fulfillment is one of the primary reasons that humans tell stories, so don't feel bad if your character is along those lines.
So y'know. Keep being awesome and all that.
*awkwardly clambers down from soap box*

Eh Mary Sues aren't what you need to watch out for. It's Black Hole Sues. That said, I've created a thread that's pretty much designed to have those all the time so *shrug*