Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 843157 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #2955 on: July 06, 2015, 04:19:55 AM »
Love how so many self-inserts are, like, highly-skilled/trained/modified/etc super-soldiers or freaking mages and mine's just bumbling around tripping over things and being awkward.
Skald of the year.
Are you joking ? My character won't be helpful if something require "mage's things" ^^ And a lot of us are shy/not very sociables with others/awkward/with some others problems. (Which is better to my mind because if everyone is always perfect, how to write a story ?)

A christian prayer? Well, now Team 2 will just be overrun by trolls...
*After reading why, is now waiting to see if it will happen or not* Team 2 is full of cleansers and they have Fimbulvarg as captain, they might be... errr... they might manage to stay alive. Some of them. Maybe.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2956 on: July 06, 2015, 05:23:58 AM »
*Pops out of the shadows* Sorry for not being so active here recently - my parents are visiting, so I have had my mind on other things ^^'
I just wanted to say that I love the art trades you guys have been posting!! :D

Love how so many self-inserts are, like, highly-skilled/trained/modified/etc super-soldiers or freaking mages and mine's just bumbling around tripping over things and being awkward.
Skald of the year.
Clumsy and awkward skald over here as well xD Let's be friends!

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2957 on: July 06, 2015, 09:01:41 AM »
Skald of the year.

It makes sense actually. This expedition is far better funded, so they get all the cool people. Of course with the research guys they had to take what they could get: it's a lot easier to pay a bunch of tough guys to burn things down than to pay smart people to retrieve them intact.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:36:53 AM by Ragnarok »
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2958 on: July 06, 2015, 09:39:25 AM »
Hee, hee, I like the sketch.  Is that super-soldier Arbet whimpering about "madmen" * while Alexis tries to talk some sense into him?  (* Or "madwomen" or "mad-agender-persons"... however that goes...) 

Even Arbet has limits....plus, being a veteran, he's not exactly used to how random this team is. So this might actually be a likely reaction.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

freddiethefantastic

« Reply #2959 on: July 06, 2015, 10:58:09 AM »
I love it! And the overalls are so great, I want them! And the cutest hat, too, thank you! Skin color is right, hair is a teensy bit lighter but I may have had Haiz darken it to try it out?

Omg I'm so glad!!! Thank you so much!!!
Hair is a really quick fix, so hopefully this is a bit better?

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #2960 on: July 06, 2015, 11:24:49 AM »
It makes sense actually. This expedition is far better funded, so they get all the cool people.
Oi.

Of course with the research guys they had to take what they could get: it's a lot easier to pay a bunch of tough guys to burn things down than to pay smart people to retrieve them intact.
Oiiiiiii.
*geek rage is heard in the background*

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2961 on: July 06, 2015, 11:57:46 AM »
Nononono.....gah I need to write better....
What I mean is that they can afford more mages and veteran soldiers than our guys from the comic, but, since people who are actually interested in the Silent World are rare and probably expensive, they cost more than guys like cleansers and hunters who would just be like 'oh yay more things to blow up'.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #2962 on: July 06, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »
Beautiful work Unlos!

Anna will do everything in her power to keep group 2 alive... if she doesn't die from the stress of attempting to do so first!  ;)
Thank you! And good luck Anna, she'll need it!

Omg I'm so glad!!! Thank you so much!!!
Hair is a really quick fix, so hopefully this is a bit better?

I'ts perfect, and so cute, thank you so much! Unexpected art is the best!

*EDIT* I wanted to make a thank-you-sketch, and looked up your ssssona, and I did notice the duck!
Spoiler: show
 But when I tried to draw it it turned kind of creepy instead of funny as was my intention. So it doesn't count in my draw-everyone-marathon. This is why it might be a bad idea to start new drawings when you're super-tired:  [spoiler]
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:52:04 PM by Unlos »

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2963 on: July 06, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »
And a lot of us are shy/not very sociables with others/awkward/with some others problems. (Which is better to my mind because if everyone is always perfect, how to write a story ?)
Sonja's a mage, but she's also flaking out and running for the nearest tree if there's even the slightest hint of danger. And she'd so much rather read a book than talk to people.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #2964 on: July 06, 2015, 02:33:35 PM »

Owl is leaving.
This might be a bit mad, but I really enjoy making these, and want to draw everyone! Famous last words I know, I've done 17 - 23 if I count the art trades, and we're 80 ATM. But it's good practice.

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #2965 on: July 06, 2015, 02:38:14 PM »
Sorry I never responded saying thanks to the kind words about my trade with Mith the other day!

I am glad the idea behind the spirit-dragon-thingy was communicated so well to you all, and that you thought it looked good.

EDIT: I moved the tutorial originally attached to this post to the tutorial thread. Check it out here ...
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=505.30
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:11:23 PM by Trinka »
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #2966 on: July 06, 2015, 02:41:07 PM »
Skald of the year.

And a lot of us are shy/not very sociables with others/awkward/with some others problems. (Which is better to my mind because if everyone is always perfect, how to write a story ?)

Karoliina may be a fairly powerful mage, but she's definitely a skald at heart ("who needs sleep when there are new books and texts to look at???") and will avoid confrontation, combat, the Silent World, mage stuff, and most people like the plague, as her friends in Keuruu will tell you. I imagine she had some good hiding spots/people who would cover for her and basically disappeared whenever she didn't want to learn magic, which was a lot of the time. She's totally regretting that now.
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2967 on: July 06, 2015, 05:11:53 PM »
Skald of the year.
Heh, and my SI limps, isn't Immune, and stays behind a desk in nice safe Mora.  You kiddies go have fun, now.   8)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2968 on: July 06, 2015, 05:17:11 PM »

Wow sorry, this turned into a full blown art tutorial  :-\  I guess I just got overly excited about toned paper and charcoal: sorry for hogging the thread guys! Maybe I'll put this in the tutorial thread too?

Would you, please?  It's a great tutorial (and beautiful drawings), but the Self-Inserts thread is really crowded.

I'd suggest pasting your content into a new post in the tutorials thread.  Then erase most of it from your original post, replacing it with just a pointer to that tutorials post.  OK?  (Then I'll delete this post.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #2969 on: July 06, 2015, 06:22:23 PM »
Some of you may have noticed I've got a bit of a thing for writing stories from the infected point of view. Not sure why, but hey, there you go. So, with Laufey's permission and guidance, I've written a little story about everyone's favourite troll:

The Lauftroll!

Hope you all like it!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:28:53 PM by SectoBoss »
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3