Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841590 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #2910 on: July 04, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »
AAAAHHHH YAY!!! I love it!!! :D :D So wonderful! I like how the kitties look, very nice. And that is a really cool rune I agree. I wonder what it does...
I'm glad you like it!!

as for the rune, WELL, Iiiii know very little about runes and i'm too lazy to do actual research, so I usually just scrawl something runelike. It's not the first time I do this^^"
but I like to think that maybe the way icelandic magic works, a rune might have a bit of a "fluid" shape before it settles, depending on how you summon it. Like a bunch of writhing lines or something.
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #2911 on: July 04, 2015, 11:08:07 AM »

This is so cute. I love to watch how people's art trades further develop the characters along and I think you've got something very new but also entirely Sóley-ish in this picture!

(btw, standing by what I said earlier, I still think you're ok with the gore going by the dog picture :) )

Ahahahah I know.

Forum rules: don't do anything Minna wouldn't do.

Minna: *draws a giant breaking a man's arm*
Minna: *draws a corpse almost torn in half in the troll room*
Minna: *draws a dog beast tearing its own skin off*
Minna: *draws horrible injuries on a cat*
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #2912 on: July 04, 2015, 11:54:43 AM »
Neat! Just.. no there's no jackals in Scandinavia. Would wolf be ok instead?
weird, i specifically looked up animals up that way. i was trying for something small and normally not too dangerous. first thought was something like a groundhog, but those definitely don't live in Scandinavia. this is what i get for trusting wikipedia *shakes fist*

Sketch of the day:

*EDIT*: Jón Llewelynson AKA ParanormalAndroid
really nifty
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #2913 on: July 04, 2015, 01:07:30 PM »
Sketch of the day:

*EDIT*: Jón Llewelynson AKA ParanormalAndroid
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*incoherent squealing*
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:16:25 PM by ParanormalAndroid »

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #2914 on: July 04, 2015, 02:18:46 PM »
*Dries single tear* that's my First Officer right there!

Step 1: Kidnapping Eich from Group 3. They need to attach a bard to our war rig to herald our coming as they ride into battle.
What a coincidence, I was just planning the same thing. Eich better be practicing his sick guitar solos because a team this deranged awesome will need REALLY COOL ACCOMPANYING MUSIC

They are counting on a severe lack of fiscal oversight from the higher ups.
Considering Karri already blew half the cleanser's budget on some really swanky glasses in Sectoboss' fic, I don't think they'd have any moral scruples repurposing the rest of the funds for something even better, and nobody would need to know, riiiight

Unlos that's a really pretty picture!! I love where your art style is going :O

Laufey, GOOD LORD THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL! I really, REALLY love the fractures, and it's not just because I have a deep fondness for blood, I promise  ::) Your watercolors give me life!

Haiz that's a really cute Soley! Time for me to... run away from my art trades some more... YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME ALIVE
YEET

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #2915 on: July 04, 2015, 02:51:54 PM »
weird, i specifically looked up animals up that way. i was trying for something small and normally not too dangerous. first thought was something like a groundhog, but those definitely don't live in Scandinavia. this is what i get for trusting wikipedia *shakes fist*
really nifty
Then badger would be perfect! In norway, there's a myth that badger will bite your legs until they hear the bones crushing, so that you ought to put coke (stone coal) in your boots, to trick the badger into believing it had done just that. Completely untrue (they can be pretty fierce but coal in your boots won't make a difference), but fitting for this kind of story?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*incoherent squealing*

*Broad smile*

Laufey, gorgeous work. Hopefully someone knows about cleaning wounds and setting (missing! where did part of that bone go, did the giant eat it?!) bones, otherwise those nasty breaks will kill or cripple the most effective trollhunter we have! (I don't for a minute question whether she'll be able to put down the giant, mind you) Haiz, what a cute version of Sóley!

Curry, thank you! I love drawing actively, something I haven't done for years, and this forum is so great for confidence-building and inspiration!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #2916 on: July 04, 2015, 03:29:54 PM »
Thank you for the nice comments everyone!

Laufey, GOOD LORD THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL! I really, REALLY love the fractures, and it's not just because I have a deep fondness for blood, I promise  ::)

It's quite alright, I know that feeling. :D You could say I was sort of looking for an excuse to paint injuries.

Hopefully someone knows about cleaning wounds and setting (missing! where did part of that bone go, did the giant eat it?!) bones, otherwise those nasty breaks will kill or cripple the most effective trollhunter we have!

Oh it's still in there, the leg's just so badly messed up you can't see it. I can actually say for sure that this is a survivable condition IF you survive the initial part that is, a friend of mine sustained similar damage when she was trampled by a horse.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2917 on: July 04, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
Oh I'm fine with it, just don't expect them to be 100% goof-free. That being said I'd like them to have a second-in-command. A yes-person (this is the most important qualification) who knows how to motivate, shows initiative, can handle pesky correspondence with skalds/scientists and the likes, can direct the cleansers in a meaningful way .... oh, and if they can communicate with the puffins (Icelandic) that would also be kinda cool.

Maybe that would be something for Karri?
Sure, sounds good! Karri's Icelandic might not be the absolute best but they understand it fine and can speak it pretty well and will remember more of it as they use it. Definitely yes-person material 8)

Also, goof-free would be boring! Who wants completely businesslike leaders?? not me that's for sure
*Back in Mora, Sara facepalms.*  She's been cc'd on the expedition organization memos (and has been kiiinda eavesdropping on the radio traffic), and she's got a very clear picture of how this is going to go down.  She'd better start drafting condolence notes right now. 

She's heard about this "Fimbulvarg" person -- very much in the "punch trolls and blow s*** up" school of Capt. Eide from the Y90 expedition.  Well, that kind of gung-ho combat leadership has its place as long as it's counterbalanced by someone prudent and cool-headed (like that nice Dr. Madsen), with all the *other* necessary qualities to get an expedition out and back safely, recovering not just things but knowledge. 

Fimbulvarg's draft job description for a second-in-command isn't bad, even if it leaves out all the "prudent" and "level-headed" parts:

A yes-person (this is the most important qualification) who knows how to motivate, shows initiative, can handle pesky correspondence with skalds/scientists and the likes, can direct the cleansers in a meaningful way .... oh, and if they can communicate with the puffins (Icelandic) that would also be kinda cool.

But that is *not* the impression she's getting of Karri, the person who volunteered for the post.  Young, over-energetic, poor impulse control, spendthrift, speaks "some" Icelandic (in Sara's experience, all resumes are inflated)... and if they're a yes-person, they'll be aiding and abetting some crazed Norwegian adrenaline-junkie (with a nom de guerre like that, she has to be a crazed adrenaline-junkie) who probably believes in Valhalla and has no problem taking dozens of valuable young people with her.

Sara rolls her eyes. 

On the other hand, Karri does seem to be staying on top of the correspondence (if not necessarily the financial record-keeping).  So there goes one stereotype, about Norwegians being barely able to read. 

And if she's cut from the same cloth as Captain Fimbulvarg, at least they'll get on well together.  Sara's heard depressing stories of expeditions, research teams, and businesses collapsing because their leaders just couldn't get along.  Or the leaders got on just fine, but they weren't respected by their underlings.  Presumably Cleansers would do better under the direction of one of their own than a toffee-nosed, aging civilian like herself. 

Well, it's their lives on the line, not hers (as Swedes are reminded every Memorial Day and Armed Forces Day).  Sara sighs deeply, leafing one more time through the sheaf of personnel reports and shoving them back into their folder.  How many of those bright faces won't come back?

Note to Curry and Fimby:  Sorry for the less-than-respectful descriptions.  This doesn't reflect my actual opinion of either of you, just Sara's rather jaundiced view of your SSSSonas. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:36:26 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #2918 on: July 04, 2015, 03:40:08 PM »
Unlos: Yaay! This is really great! Unlos, you're the one providing me with references everytime I'm stuck on a group picture because I don't know how to draw someone. I thought you should know that.

Laufey: I love this! That would be such an heroic death. I swear, this fandom has made me much more stronger, I didn't have a lot of stomach for blood before.

Haiz: So cute! I really like how the cats are actually behaving like cats here, even though they are not "normal" cats.

How many of those bright faces won't come back?

Are you telling me that there's a chance some of our inserts won't survive??

AWESOME. But I doubt there will be a lot of volunteers for this dying thing, even if it's for the sake of drama.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #2919 on: July 04, 2015, 04:09:11 PM »
Unlos: Yaay! This is really great! Unlos, you're the one providing me with references everytime I'm stuck on a group picture because I don't know how to draw someone. I thought you should know that.
Thank you! And I'm looking forward to seeing your next group picture, they're fantastic!

I somehow had Ilmari figured for a teenager, and when rechecking the infodump on his occupation (after I had drawn him, duh) I noticed he's 26! Aghagh, sorry about that.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2920 on: July 04, 2015, 04:33:47 PM »

Well doesn't this picture kind of fit the mood here now

"People are making Mad Max references, the time has come!"

I'm kind of tempted to put a censor-bar over the left hand too, just to imply rude gestures :P

What a coincidence, I was just planning the same thing. Eich better be practicing his sick guitar solos because a team this deranged awesome will need REALLY COOL

Somewhere in the group 3 4 camp Eich feels a chilling premonition.

Well, that kind of gung-ho combat leadership has its place as long as it's counterbalanced by someone prudent and cool-headed (like that nice Dr. Madsen), with all the *other* necessary qualities to get an expedition out and back safely, recovering not just things but knowledge.

*Snickers* I took care of the naysayers preemptively. Such smart, very foresighted.
(No offence taken)

AWESOME. But I doubt there will be a lot of volunteers for this dying thing, even if it's for the sake of drama.
No casualties, that's a team 2 promise (besides, you're in group 4. The odds of you even seeing a grossling are low).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:40:22 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2921 on: July 04, 2015, 04:47:17 PM »
*Back in Mora, Sara facepalms.*  She's been cc'd on the expedition organization memos (and has been kiiinda eavesdropping on the radio traffic), and she's got a very clear picture of how this is going to go down.  She'd better start drafting condolence notes right now. 

Sara sighs deeply, leafing one more time through the sheaf of personnel reports and shoving them back into their folder.  How many of those bright faces won't come back?

Shhh, I'll tell you a secret:  All participants will be protected by plot armor.  But Sara doesn't know that...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:49:16 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2922 on: July 04, 2015, 05:20:54 PM »

She's heard about this "Fimbulvarg" person -- very much in the "punch trolls and blow s*** up" school of Capt. Eide from the Y90 expedition.  Well, that kind of gung-ho combat leadership has its place as long as it's counterbalanced by someone prudent and cool-headed (like that nice Dr. Madsen), with all the *other* necessary qualities to get an expedition out and back safely, recovering not just things but knowledge. 

Fimbulvarg's draft job description for a second-in-command isn't bad, even if it leaves out all the "prudent" and "level-headed" parts:

A yes-person (this is the most important qualification) who knows how to motivate, shows initiative, can handle pesky correspondence with skalds/scientists and the likes, can direct the cleansers in a meaningful way .... oh, and if they can communicate with the puffins (Icelandic) that would also be kinda cool.

But that is *not* the impression she's getting of Karri, the person who volunteered for the post.  Young, over-energetic, poor impulse control, spendthrift, speaks "some" Icelandic (in Sara's experience, all resumes are inflated)... and if they're a yes-person, they'll be aiding and abetting some crazed Norwegian adrenaline-junkie (with a nom de guerre like that, she has to be a crazed adrenaline-junkie) who probably believes in Valhalla and has no problem taking dozens of valuable young people with her.

Sara rolls her eyes. 

On the other hand, Karri does seem to be staying on top of the correspondence (if not necessarily the financial record-keeping).  So there goes one stereotype, about Norwegians being barely able to read. 

And if she's cut from the same cloth as Captain Fimbulvarg, at least they'll get on well together.  Sara's heard depressing stories of expeditions, research teams, and businesses collapsing because their leaders just couldn't get along.  Or the leaders got on just fine, but they weren't respected by their underlings.  Presumably Cleansers would do better under the direction of one of their own than a toffee-nosed, aging civilian like herself. 

Well, it's their lives on the line, not hers (as Swedes are reminded every Memorial Day and Armed Forces Day).  Sara sighs deeply, leafing one more time through the sheaf of personnel reports and shoving them back into their folder.  How many of those bright faces won't come back?

Note to Curry and Fimby:  Sorry for the less-than-respectful descriptions.  This doesn't reflect my actual opinion of either of you, just Sara's rather jaundiced view of your SSSSonas. 

Ha, Sara sound like someone who would understand Clara's problems...
Clara, calling in to base: "WHO CHOSE THESE LEADERS?? They are so rash and irresponsible with record-keeping and Karri says they can speak Icelandic but they speak it kinda terribly, like y'know, I can help translate, but no, no one listens to me, and- and- and- ...Can I go home? Please?"

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #2923 on: July 04, 2015, 05:47:38 PM »

I imagine Team 5 might have a betting pool on which of the other teams will come back the most intact. My money'd be on Team 4, if only because they're not supposed to get anywhere near any trolls, but then again Murphy and his Law are not to be underestimated.
(I'm genuinely unsure whether my own self-insert's actions in the other thread has raised or lowered Team 2's chance. I like to think raised.)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2924 on: July 04, 2015, 06:11:05 PM »
(I'm genuinely unsure whether my own self-insert's actions in the other thread has raised or lowered Team 2's chance. I like to think raised.)

Seems like you have the premise of another fic right there.