Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841816 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #1380 on: May 14, 2015, 04:11:10 AM »
Hey, I've got a writing idea itching at my brain. I need to know how your S'onas would react to this story, How Raven stole fire.

I'm a skald and I overthink (and probably overtalk) everything.  I'd be intrigued, ask you where it's from, how you heard it, and go off on some tangent about parallels in Greek and Finnish myth (until DancingRanger heads for the door, murmuring about Poor Neglected Responsibilities). 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1381 on: May 14, 2015, 05:05:36 AM »
Hey, I've got a writting idea itching at my brain. I need to know how your S'onas would react to this story, How Raven stole fire.
Mine would listen politely, wondering if she had read that before, which would be plausible. She would be more someone who listen than someone who speak, but a part of her mind would still be "As soon as possible, I'll go to sleep". (Yes, she's obsessed.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #1382 on: May 14, 2015, 07:37:17 AM »
Hey, I've got a writting idea itching at my brain. I need to know how your S'onas would react to this story, How Raven stole fire.

Spoiler: show
Long ago, near the beginning of the world, Grey Eagle guarded the sun, moon, stars, water, and fire. But Grey Eagle hated people. He hated them so much that he kept these things hidden away, and the people lived in cold and darkness.

Grey Eagle had a beautiful daughter who fancied Raven, for Raven was a handsome white bird who loved Grey Eagle’s daughter in return. He was invited to the longhouse of Grey Eagle. Raven looked about the walls of the lodge and saw the sun, the moon, the stars, water, and fire.

Raven was ashamed of Grey Eagle for hiding them, and knew what he must do. When no one was watching, he stole all these things from the lodge of Grey Eagle. He flew with them right up the smoke hole of the long house. He flew and he flew, higher and higher.

He hung the sun as high as he could in the sky. It made so much light that he was able to escape all the way to an island far out in the ocean. When night fell, he flew again, this time fastening the moon up in the sky and hanging each star in its own place around the heavens. Then he flew back over the land, still carrying the water and the fire.   

When he reached the right place, he dropped the water, creating the source of all fresh water – rivers, lakes, and streams.

Raven flew on, still carrying the stick of fire in his beak. As he flew, the smoke blew back on him, turning all of his feathers the darkest black. When his beak became too hot, he dropped the fire on some rocks, concealing it within them. Still today when we strike two stones together, drops of fire will spark out.

And still today, we see the black feathers of the raven, darkened forever because he brought good things to this world.

I would probably say something about how my creation story is cooler.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1383 on: May 14, 2015, 10:17:58 AM »
I need to know how your S'onas would react to this story, How Raven stole fire.
(FWIW, you might want to clarify whether the SSSSonas hear it from one/few, have it presented to them as truth / traditional belief from many around them, or actually become entangled in the aftermath, "Hannu vs. Kalevala" style.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #1384 on: May 14, 2015, 10:41:40 AM »
(FWIW, you might want to clarify whether the SSSSonas hear it from one/few, have it presented to them as truth / traditional belief from many around them, or actually become entangled in the aftermath, "Hannu vs. Kalevala" style.)
Ah, I forgot about that, I was having such a hard time posting last night that it was like my posts kinda deleted when I tried to post them. It seems to be fixed now.

The story would be told over a fire by my S'ona, as it's a Native American story. To him it would be more true than Norse legends, but not by much. He still respects both, it's just he very proud of the forgotten culture that he carries.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #1385 on: May 14, 2015, 10:59:10 AM »

Long ago, near the beginning of the world, Grey Eagle guarded the sun, moon, stars, water, and fire. But Grey Eagle hated people. He hated them so much that he kept these things hidden away, and the people lived in cold and darkness.

Grey Eagle had a beautiful daughter who fancied Raven, for Raven was a handsome white bird who loved Grey Eagle’s daughter in return. He was invited to the longhouse of Grey Eagle. Raven looked about the walls of the lodge and saw the sun, the moon, the stars, water, and fire.

Raven was ashamed of Grey Eagle for hiding them, and knew what he must do. When no one was watching, he stole all these things from the lodge of Grey Eagle. He flew with them right up the smoke hole of the long house. He flew and he flew, higher and higher.

He hung the sun as high as he could in the sky. It made so much light that he was able to escape all the way to an island far out in the ocean. When night fell, he flew again, this time fastening the moon up in the sky and hanging each star in its own place around the heavens. Then he flew back over the land, still carrying the water and the fire.   

When he reached the right place, he dropped the water, creating the source of all fresh water – rivers, lakes, and streams.

Raven flew on, still carrying the stick of fire in his beak. As he flew, the smoke blew back on him, turning all of his feathers the darkest black. When his beak became too hot, he dropped the fire on some rocks, concealing it within them. Still today when we strike two stones together, drops of fire will spark out.

And still today, we see the black feathers of the raven, darkened forever because he brought good things to this world.

Hey! I've heard that one! That would be my 'Sona's reaction, too. xD
I am of the firm belief that the First Nations peoples of Canada would still be around and kicking, especially way far up North with the Inuit and such, so stories like that would totally get tossed around the grapevine along with others. :)

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #1386 on: May 14, 2015, 12:07:42 PM »

My 'sona would probably be intrigued, and eager to learn more (but not too verbal about it!).  I have always had a fascination for traditional myths and legends :)
I hadn't heard of this one before, but I can spot some parallels with greek myth in there
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1387 on: May 14, 2015, 12:45:55 PM »
Haiz would be all "oooOOOH COOL THAT MAKES SENSE" and try to fit it like a puzzlepiece into all the other myths ze has ever heard, because ze believes in everything at the same time.

Also I accidentally put wayy to much effort into a thing again

who knows, maybe I'll even do my art trades soon too ahaha ha
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1388 on: May 14, 2015, 12:52:05 PM »
Haiz, one more time, it's gorgeous ! I particularly like the way ze (Am I right ?) sleep. (There is a word for that, but I don't find/know it in english.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #1389 on: May 14, 2015, 12:53:35 PM »

Día would probably think "well, that is a beautiful story, although completely unlikely". She would then proceed to point all the things she finds impractical in the plot.

This is amazing!!
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1390 on: May 14, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »

My sona likes listening to stories a lot, but would probably cut across all the time with thoughts and opinions (and seeing as she's Norwegian and probably hadn't heard this one before she'd speculate at the ending and feel soooooo clever if she guessed something right!). It would probably annoy many people I'm sorry to say  :-\

*Stares at beauty of the thing for hours*……
Well I for one have no problem with you accidentally putting too much effort into a thing, so long as we get to see the results afterwards :D
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #1391 on: May 14, 2015, 02:36:01 PM »
Haiz holy wow what have you done, that's amazing! Everything's so swirly and dream-like and the colours are amazing and excuse me, I have to stare at it for hours now!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 02:39:33 PM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1392 on: May 14, 2015, 02:36:50 PM »
Haiz would be all "oooOOOH COOL THAT MAKES SENSE" and try to fit it like a puzzlepiece into all the other myths ze has ever heard, because ze believes in everything at the same time.

The pleasures of being a mage - so many cool things to paint and draw.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1393 on: May 14, 2015, 03:18:41 PM »

That's it, I'm signing up to be a mage. Where's the recruitment office. What do you mean "you need talent/can't sign up at your age"!?

Well, fine, troll-trouncing is magic enough for me, with or without that incredibly fancy dreamscape stuff.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #1394 on: May 14, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »

She/I would listen to the whole story, and really enjoy it, trying to picture the raven in her/my head while your ssssona told the story.

That is gorgeous, Haiz. Somehow what draws my eyes is the fine line between water and mystic light, that is really well done! The boat is beautiful too, it's like ze is born into the dreamworld (I am overanalyzing I know I know)