Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841581 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #855 on: April 24, 2015, 07:33:56 PM »
Oh my gosh! I love my Piney-fication!

Yay, I'm glad you do! Let's see how many Piney-words people can come up with

I'm totally OK with that!  18 -- count 'em, **18** separate portraits!!  That's a lot to draw.  Very impressive!  Everyone looks "Piney-fied" and yet totally themselves.

Besides, I already have Unlos' lovely drawing, featuring me at the prettiest desk I've ever seen (hopefully strong enough to stand up to my wrapping my feet around its legs, as I often do) and something cute in my hair.  (Is it a scarf?  A snood?  Anything like that would certainly work to restrain my mass of insanely fluffy hair.)

It's the same number I did last time - drawing headshots is second nature to me, so it really wasn't a lot of work, heh. :)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #856 on: April 24, 2015, 07:40:19 PM »
Yaaaay! I got Pineyated! She's/I'm so adorable! And all the other people too! <3 <3 *adds Piney to to-do list*
And also all the other things that are new here! That Sunflower is BEAUTIFUL.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #857 on: April 24, 2015, 07:45:22 PM »
Yaaaay! I got Pineyated! She's/I'm so adorable! And all the other people too! <3 <3 *adds Piney to to-do list*

Is this a contest now? ;)

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #858 on: April 24, 2015, 08:00:28 PM »
Is this a contest now? ;)
Is it? [Stuffs a Pineyta with loads of small, quickly scribbled paper snippets and picks up an amazingly huge baseball bat]
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Latiep

• Gets distracted by EVERYTHING. Lurks in spare time
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #859 on: April 24, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »
My opineyon on pineytas is mixed
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:08:10 PM by Latent Leprechaun »
Native :usa:
Learning :norway:
Is planning on learning :iceland:
Knows a bit of :france:
Knows tidbits of :germany:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #860 on: April 24, 2015, 08:49:34 PM »
And here is the bio for my character. Wooooooo. * lets out puff of air.*

Alexis Eklund

Nationality: Swede
Area of Birth: Mora
Immunity: Yes
Profession: Cleanser (Trainee)
Languages: :sweden: :france: (Its a long story, but the layout of it is that there are more french speakers than creole speakers in the new world. She does know the basics of creole however, so its not too bad.)

History: Alexis grew up on the reaches of Inner Mora, living a cushy, if somewhat pressured and lonely life. By the age of ten however, she had become became completely fed up with her current situation, with her older twin sisters having fled to the four winds, and her mother not trusting her scatterbrained brother with anything. The pressures begin unloading to learn her heritage and keep on going, even though she doesn't really want to. She begins dreaming about running away and joining the (a highly romanticized version) cleansers. Then she does it. She may have not thought this through enough. 

Personality: Alexis is an inconsistent kind of person, and she tends to think in extremes. Despite her "I don't care" attitude she is actually somewhat afraid of judgment. Not too afraid of judgement. She's overly exuberant, too the extent that she tends to drain the energy from other people. Makes bad jokes at people she likes. Snarks rudly at people she doesn't. Alexis doesn't have much of an idea about personal space, but she will respect your wishes about it if she likes you enough. If she doesn't, she will make you uncomfortable. Intentionally. She is a good liar , but prefers blunt honesty, and can be afraid to speak her mind sometimes, but only if its really personal. Pretty clingy. Forgetful, so she tends to use other memories to reference for something she forgot. If she  gets in trouble or just hates you very much, she will shift into a stone cold,'you are beneath me' demeanor. She'll start speaking in clipped, short sentences like this, or just not speak at all. This also appiles to photos.  Is angry at many people and gets angry easily. Is trying to fix this

Skills: Alexis isn't suited to the cleansers. She can't throw charges, believes in magic, and is doing nothing to build camaraderie with her fellow teammates.  She does have an eye for precision, and she does have magic.

She has magic, but it is mostly wild and untrained, because there are no magic schools in Sweden, and her grandmother, who could have taught her, died soon after Alexis was born.

Spoiler: show
 EDIT-REDACTED:Its just  she considers Voodoo overly complicated, and a waste of time and resources. It doesn't mean it she won't use it if she consideres it  necessary.

Batch no.2 is done !
EDIT: Didn't get to 'S', sorry Sunflower - next time! ;)

Yeah! I'll draw you too! (Everyone is drawing me much cuter than I really am, wow.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:14:36 PM by KicknRun »

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #861 on: April 24, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »
Yeah! I'll draw you too! (Everyone is drawing me much cuter than I really am, wow.)

Every person I draw turns cute by default anyway :>

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #862 on: April 24, 2015, 09:11:40 PM »
And here is the bio for my character. Wooooooo. * lets out puff of air.*

Alexis Eklund

Nationality: Swede
Area of Birth: Mora
Immunity: Yes
Profession: Cleanser (Trainee)
Languages: :sweden: :france: (Its a long story, but the layout of it is that there are more french speakers than creole speakers in the new world. She does know the basics of creole however, so its not too bad.)

History: Alexis grew up on the reaches of Inner Mora, living a cushy, if somewhat pressured and lonely life. By the age of ten however, she had become became completely fed up with her current situation, with her older twin sisters having fled to the four winds, and her mother not trusting her scatterbrained brother with anything. The pressures begin unloading to learn her heritage and keep on going, even though she doesn't really want to. She begins dreaming about running away and joining the (a highly romanticized version) cleansers. Then she does it. She may have not thought this through enough. 

Personality: Alexis is an inconsistent kind of person, and she tends to think in extremes. Despite her "I don't care" attitude she is actually somewhat afraid of judgment. Not too afraid of judgement. She's overly exuberant, too the extent that she tends to drain the energy from other people.

Alexis doesn't have much of an idea about personal space, but she will respect your wishes about it if she likes you enough. If she doesn't, she will make you uncomfortable. Intentionally. She is a good liar , but prefers blunt honesty, and can be afraid to speak her mind sometimes, but only if its really personal. Pretty clingy.

Forgetful, so she tends to use other memories to reference for something she forgot. If she  gets in trouble or just hates you very much, she will shift into a stone cold, 'you are beneath me' demeanor. She'll start speaking in clipped, short sentences like this, or just not speak at all. This also appiles to photos. 

Skills: Alexis isn't suited to the cleansers. She can't throw charges, believes in magic, and is doing nothing to build camaraderie with her fellow teammates.  She does have an eye for precision, and she does have magic. Its just  she considers Voodoo overly complicated, and a waste of time and resources. It doesn't mean it she won't use it if she considers it  necessary.

Wow, this is sophisticated (and rather dark) character analysis.  A lot of us make the mistake of going way too Mary-Sue with our characters (I've been there, done that). 

While this level of complexity and rich character detail will make for *great* interaction (I'm curious to see veves in action like Icelandic runes), I hope you don't think this harshly of yourself IRL. 

OTOH, I don't use a cane IRL -- I just thought it would be an interesting character detail, and possibly reflective of how various IRL injuries could have handicapped me with Known World-level medical care.  Nor have I been divorced and widowed; those are just cameo roles by IRL ex-boyfriends.  The nicest one earned a heroic death in-story.   ;)

ALSO:
Alexis, since both you and Sara (me) live in Mora, is it plausible that we would have met?  I work evenings as a baby-sitter, after all, so I might have known you and your parents when younger.  I'm sure the Voodoo belief system would interest Sara, who's curious about all kinds of Old World beliefs.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:16:43 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #863 on: April 24, 2015, 09:32:39 PM »
Wow, this is sophisticated (and rather dark) character analysis.  A lot of us make the mistake of going way too Mary-Sue with our characters (I've been there, done that). 

While this level of complexity and rich character detail will make for *great* interaction (I'm curious to see veves in action like Icelandic runes), I hope you don't think this harshly of yourself IRL. 

OTOH, I don't use a cane IRL -- I just thought it would be an interesting character detail, and possibly reflective of how various IRL injuries could have handicapped me with Known World-level medical care.  Nor have I been divorced and widowed; those are just cameo roles by IRL ex-boyfriends.  The nicest one earned a heroic death in-story.   ;)

ALSO:
Alexis, since both you and Sara (me) live in Mora, is it plausible that we would have met?  I work evenings as a baby-sitter, after all, so I might have known you and your parents when younger.  I'm sure the Voodoo belief system would interest Sara, who's curious about all kinds of Old World beliefs.

I probably wouldn't have met your SI in Mora, my sisters were my baby-sitters. And no, I don't think of myself this negatively in real life, but my SI's baseline personality is me  IRL, and the rest is " Who would I be in Y90?" (For instance, my sarcasm and disobedience is gone, and the lack of camaraderie is just something adapted from how my most  of  my classmates treat me. Me and my SI don't try to be anti-social, and she and I do have friends.) And the think in extremes is a Y0 attribute amplified into a Y90 one,because my SI is kinda sheltered .

Icon drawn by Piney

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #864 on: April 24, 2015, 09:33:13 PM »
@KicknRun: thoughts on my rendition? Kinda waiting on opinions from everyone I drew before making another WIP post.

@Sunflower: I hope I didn't go too gary stu on Strelock.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:09:05 PM by Solokov »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #865 on: April 24, 2015, 09:44:54 PM »
I think everyone who make self-inserts or even characters based on themselves (but not intended to BE them) have phases they go through. Being a bit negative is one of them.
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #866 on: April 24, 2015, 10:54:30 PM »
@KicknRun: thoughts on my rendition? Kinda waiting on opinions from everyone I drew before making another WIP post.

@Sunflower: I hope I didn't go too gary stu on Strelock.

Its fine! She doesn't like smiling for cameras, but she might have been wanting to make a good impression. Or she might be glaring at the camera. Either or, honestly.

Icon drawn by Piney

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #867 on: April 24, 2015, 11:00:16 PM »
Yup, still amazing, but Mith in particular is outrageously well drawn. Made me laugh :D

Hehe, I agree completely. Very accurate, too. Actually, I kind of like all the Piney-expressions...

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #868 on: April 24, 2015, 11:13:03 PM »
Hehe, I agree completely. Very accurate, too. Actually, I kind of like all the Piney-expressions...

Facial expressions are my favorite thing to draw, thanks! >v<

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #869 on: April 24, 2015, 11:18:14 PM »
Batch no.2 is done !
EDIT: Didn't get to 'S', sorry Sunflower - next time! ;)

All these expressions make me happy ^^

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3