Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 843278 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #330 on: April 02, 2015, 02:07:48 PM »
Here is my drawing of Sunflower

*blushes*  Wow!  You made me look a lot cuter than IRL (and left out the circles under my eyes), but... thanks so much!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #331 on: April 02, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »
That was quick. I approve of everything but the distinct lack of sharp implements  ;D
And the Trond interview idea is pure genius!

Thank you! For sharp implements I will need to find some reference pictures. I tried putting in a big nice 10 inch knife but the angle turned out to be all wrong, clutched like a teddybear instead of all menacing-like..

Oliga

« Reply #332 on: April 02, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »
THE COLORS!  :o
Did you use pen or paint? TELL ME YOUR SECRETTSSSS
(P.S. those are so awesome!)
Can you or someone else draw me SSSS? I can't draw myself/close friends. Here's a pic for reference brace yourselves it'll probably come out humongous:
Thank you, it was copic marker  :)
I'll draw everyone (hope so) in turn, so later I'll draw you too. Is your icon your SSSS-sona?

SolarPoweredGirl

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • A normal kid who isn't that normal
« Reply #333 on: April 02, 2015, 02:37:16 PM »
Is your icon your SSSS-sona?
No I haven't quite finished mine yet but here's some of it:
Name: My real name is hispanic, so I can't use that. Maybe if I modify it like this? Maja Yaranssen
Age: I don't know, I guess between 14-18.If I was the age I am now I wouldn't have a job or travel anywhere on my own.
Profession: Mage / Author. I would write spellbooks and illustrate them.
Pets: Barn Owl
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:48:02 PM by SolarPoweredGirl »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #334 on: April 02, 2015, 02:43:17 PM »
Thank you! For sharp implements I will need to find some reference pictures. I tried putting in a big nice 10-inch knife but the angle turned out to be all wrong, clutched like a teddybear instead of all menacing-like..

Well, that could be appropriate.  Don't all future Norwegian warriors and shield-maidens toddle off to bed clutching their pet 10-inch knife instead of a wimpy stuffed animal like a teddy bear?   ;)
(Besides, everybody knows bears are just a mythical animal from the Before-Times, like unicorns.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #335 on: April 02, 2015, 03:33:39 PM »
Well, that could be appropriate.  Don't all future Norwegian warriors and shield-maidens toddle off to bed clutching their pet 10-inch knife instead of a wimpy stuffed animal like a teddy bear?   ;)
(Besides, everybody knows bears are just a mythical animal from the Before-Times, like unicorns.)
Well, the one I had in mind does have animals on the sheath, now that you mention it:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:47:28 PM by Unlos »

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #336 on: April 02, 2015, 03:44:19 PM »
@ Sunflower

I do not know if someone has risen to the occasion yet, but I can try to draw your oc.

It will not be great. In fact, I have been struggling with drafts last evening, but it will... exist.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #337 on: April 02, 2015, 04:02:53 PM »
Psst @SolarPoweredGirl, I think your last should end with -sdatter rather than -ssen if it's supposed to be a patronym.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #338 on: April 02, 2015, 04:19:50 PM »
Semi-self-insert... Meet Lara Arnadottir!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:53:13 PM by RandomTexanReader »
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #339 on: April 02, 2015, 04:38:29 PM »
Semi-self-insert... Meet Lara Arnadottir! (Assuming that Iceland went back to a Patronymic naming system)

We never gave up on it in the first place, actually. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
« Reply #340 on: April 02, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »
We never gave up on it in the first place, actually. :D
WHAT??? The internet lied to me??? Oh dear.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #341 on: April 02, 2015, 04:56:34 PM »
Psst @SolarPoweredGirl, I think your last should end with -sdatter rather than -ssen if it's supposed to be a patronym.
only if she's icelandic! lotsa -ssen names around in norway, for example *points at own name* mine means 'son of olaus' despite me not really being a son - nor is my dad, grandfather or even great-grandfather named olaus. i don't think anyone in the whole of norway is still called olaus. what a ridiculous name.

also wow so many great new self-inserts!! i don't have the brain juices to comment on everyone right now but WELCOME TO THE CREW(s)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 03:11:50 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #342 on: April 02, 2015, 05:18:15 PM »
Icelandic has -dóttir and -son endings and they do mark whose child you are, true. One note though - Icelandic has more genitive endings than just -s, so you get all sorts of patro- and matronymics, our Árni being a good example: his son is not Árnisson but Árnason. Likewise if a woman called Laufey had a baby and decided to give it a matronymic last name it would be called Laufeyjarson/Laufeyjardóttir, all depends on the declination of the particular name.

Icelanders are not allowed to have actual surnames as per the naming committee's rules, unless you're born into one of those few families that took a surname during the short time window when that was possible. That's why Jón Gnarr had to leave country to officially change his name to Jón Gnarr. These families are really rare however and I think their names must all be listed somewhere... plus since Icelanders don't take on the spouse's last name when they marry (for obvious reasons) some of these names may even have died out long ago.

I can help out with Icelandic names if it's needed by the way, just PM me. :)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #343 on: April 02, 2015, 09:41:05 PM »
Newly sketched up. I started an hour and a half ago, and that includes the time spent arguing with the scanner and fireworks.

I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
« Reply #344 on: April 02, 2015, 09:54:55 PM »
Newly sketched up. I started an hour and a half ago, and that includes the time spent arguing with the scanner and fireworks.

I think my favorite part of this is the note: "Do not leave unsupervised when repairing vehicles..."
I want to know the story behind that one. :D
John Steinbeck