Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841495 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #4965 on: September 16, 2016, 05:22:41 AM »
Brain: What? You can't make a donut steel! They've got 200 pages of donut steels and you know absolutely nothing about the OC culture here!

Me:

Spoiler: show

I made twins. They're descendants from a small group of Scottish (and Scottish-American) friends who were touring Norway when the Rash hit. They have a lot of relatives, because those friends took it upon themselves to replenish the Scottish race as much as they could. There's some Norwegian in them, but the entire family is still mostly Scottish - Johannes and Karina especially. That weird gun-thing in Karina's hand is my attempt at drawing an Obrez.

Johannes is the calmer of the two Eliott twins, also the taller at just over 6 feet. His belief in the gods mostly consists of 'acknowledging they exist', as evidenced by the fact that runes work. If they didn't he'd probably drop his belief entirely. Somewhat quiet and reserved, he can show emotion, it's just that he usually doesn't. Became a Hunter because he was pretty good at shooting things and it seemed like something interesting to do - and more importantly, something that wasn't tedious, or wouldn't become tedious easily. Almost became a Cleanser like his sister, but his throwing accuracy leaves something to be desired. Speaks English and Scots well enough (mostly with his family/sister), but not nearly as familiar with it as Karina. Nor is he as good a singer. Still lives in Hitra with the family - he claims he just likes the scenery and being close to the rest of the family. Karina knows better - it's because he gets seasick easily, which she teases him about, a lot. A tinkerer, likes to fix things (mostly stuff Karina steals from pre-Rash ruins that she sends him) but occasionally works on designing machinery. Could have been an engineer, but most engineering work in the Y90s is focused on civil engineering, which he finds boring. He'd much rather just design things. His dream? To build an airplane.

Karina is a five-foot-three ball of pure energy. She believes in the gods (unlike most of her Swedish neighbors) simply because the gods are badass. More expressive with her emotions than Johannes, and substantially more excitable - though she can control herself. She just chooses not to, unless the situation is genuinely serious. A Cleanser passing through town when she was seven was what convinced her to go to Sweden and become a Cleanser herself - against her parent's better judgement, they let her go. Turns out she was very good at Cleansing, specifically the burning and exploding things part. Substantially better at English and Scots than her brother, to fluent levels. She is also fluent in Swearing In Gaelic. Listening to Gramma's records both helped with her language skills and her singing skills. Also knows how to play two instruments - the guitar (her father's, she bought an electric one of her own) and the bagpipes (her grandfather's, now hers) After moving to Mora to train at the age of 13, she decided to live there permanently, almost always using what vacation time she gets to return home. A bit of a kleptomaniac - though she doesn't steal from the living. She steals from ruins, taking things that look interesting before the burning really starts. She cleans them of course, and sometimes she gets caught, but not always - among other things, that's how she got her Obrez. She wants to see Johannes's plane fly, though she's pretty sure that all he'll manage to do with it is piss off every Troll from here to Gibraltr with it.

Cool character design, welcome!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #4966 on: September 16, 2016, 01:54:52 PM »
Obrez.

I know a guy who form-4'd a CMP M-1 and made an Obrez'd M-1 out of it (rust pitting had caused a weak point in the barrel that would have ruptured if he tried to fire it), it even cycles properly too.

Also neat characters.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4967 on: September 24, 2016, 08:36:09 PM »
At last, I have finished the next chapter of the SSSS superhero AU fic I've been working on, here for your enjoyment.  It's longer than the other chapters, but Sigrun joins the AU crew, we meet some other familiar characters, and there is a bonus illustration as well.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/18634555

Keeper, I managed to get an appearance by your SSSSona Madeline Christensen in after all!  Also, a chunk of backstory on Piney's Clara and a bit of AquaAurion's Sofie. 

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #4968 on: September 24, 2016, 08:55:49 PM »
At last, I have finished the next chapter of the SSSS superhero AU fic I've been working on, here for your enjoyment.  It's longer than the other chapters, but Sigrun joins the AU crew, we meet some other familiar characters, and there is a bonus illustration as well.

Keeper, I managed to get an appearance by your SSSSona Madeline Christensen in after all!  Also, a chunk of backstory on Piney's Clara and a bit of AquaAurion's Sofie.

Ooh, fun! Loving Madeleine's sheer doggedness, and how even in a completely different universe, something fails to get put on the tank.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #4969 on: September 24, 2016, 10:49:43 PM »

EEeeee! I'm so excited to see Madeline, thank you! I love the idea of her being there to photograph- it's the next best thing, after all. And of course the bit with Mikkel was hilarious as well, Emil will never escape the threat of face cancer! And grrrr, foiling my girl's plans! No, that's probably for the best, but she would try the cling-to-the-truck trick, it's so easy! Unless you have a Madsen watching out for you, of course. ;)
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Solokov

« Reply #4970 on: September 24, 2016, 10:58:11 PM »
Ooh, fun! Loving Madeleine's sheer doggedness, and how even in a completely different universe, something fails to get put on the tank.
Indeed.

Once again wavewright, awesome work.

EEeeee! I'm so excited to see Madeline, thank you! I love the idea of her being there to photograph- it's the next best thing, after all. And of course the bit with Mikkel was hilarious as well, Emil will never escape the threat of face cancer! And grrrr, foiling my girl's plans! No, that's probably for the best, but she would try the cling-to-the-truck trick, it's so easy! Unless you have a Madsen watching out for you, of course. ;)

Undercarriage, they only check incoming vehicles with mirrors to make sure nothing's hanging onto the underside.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4971 on: September 25, 2016, 05:02:08 PM »
Indeed.

Once again wavewright, awesome work.

Undercarriage, they only check incoming vehicles with mirrors to make sure nothing's hanging onto the underside.

*curtsies* Thank you.  Given the condition of the bridge, it's best she didn't try the undercarriage!  But.... her time will come, Keeper assures us.   ::)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4972 on: October 08, 2016, 03:33:19 AM »
Chap 15 is hereby finished: http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/18876842

The crew brave the crap bridge, Reynir braves the crap drunken nobles, and crap nicknames are bestowed liberally.

Solokov

« Reply #4973 on: October 08, 2016, 01:18:23 PM »
*literally stopped what I was doing to read through the latest chapter*

Awesome!

*scurries off to resume reformatting my resume for another job posting*
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4974 on: October 08, 2016, 01:21:13 PM »
Chap 15 is hereby finished: http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/18876842

The crew brave the crap bridge, Reynir braves the crap drunken nobles, and crap nicknames are bestowed liberally.

Ah, the idiot nobles. A staple even after the apocalypse.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4975 on: October 15, 2016, 12:59:44 AM »
The next chapter is up - Reynir and Lalli both get to run again. 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/18981464

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4976 on: October 15, 2016, 03:53:48 PM »
The next chapter is up - Reynir and Lalli both get to run again. 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/18981464

Excellent as always, wavewright. And poor Renate. Let's hope nothing bad happens to her...

Solokov

« Reply #4977 on: October 15, 2016, 04:58:05 PM »
*shakes off sand like a wet dog and notices a new chapter* EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4978 on: October 15, 2016, 07:23:49 PM »
Excellent as always, wavewright. And poor Renate. Let's hope nothing bad happens to her...
*shakes off sand like a wet dog and notices a new chapter* EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Thank you, you know I appreciate the feedback! 
*puzzled* Solokov, I just went back and read the last few pages of the RPG threads, and still don't know what the sand refers to?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:29:49 PM by wavewright62 »

Solokov

« Reply #4979 on: October 15, 2016, 10:31:48 PM »
Oh right I never really mentioned where I was going when I told the people in spamadventure that I wouldn't be updating yesterday.  I was off camping at oceano dunes state park in california.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,