Author Topic: Finnish learning thread!  (Read 69304 times)

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
Re: Finnish learning thread!
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2015, 03:10:28 AM »
Hei Pessi!  Mitä kuuluu?  You haven't been here much lately.

Kiitos kysymästä, kuuluu ihan hyvää. On vain ollut kiirettä ja sitten sain kevätflunssan enkä jaksanut tehdä oikein mitään.

Thank you for asking, I'm fine. I've just been busy and then I got ill and didn't have the energy to do anything.

Tytärnija hyväksyttiin laulukurssi.

Onnittelut! Toivottavasti kurssista tulee maanmainio =)

Congratulations! I wish the course will be superb =)

(Älä sure suomen kieliopin hankaluutta, harva suomalainenkaan sitä osaa muuten kuin näppituntumalla. Tärkeintä lienee tulla ymmärretyksi.)

(Don't worry about the difficulty of Finnish grammar, very few Finns themselves know it exept by gut feeling. The most important thing is that you get understood.)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:33:12 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2015, 07:01:34 PM »
Kiitos!  I'm sorry you've been sick.  I hope you feel better now?

Anteeksi, I'm feeling too dull today to even attempt finnish.  Maybe after I've had some coffee.
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #152 on: May 27, 2015, 10:34:32 PM »
I iz a MURICAN, and apparently its really hard to learn Finnish for Americans, but I really want to! A friend and I want to learn together. I need help on where to start.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2015, 12:23:39 AM »
I iz a MURICAN, and apparently its really hard to learn Finnish for Americans, but I really want to! A friend and I want to learn together. I need help on where to start.

Start at this post early in this very thread:  https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=313.msg21294#msg21294

And consult this very helpful list of resources shared by another poster in this thread:
http://anttilearnslanguages.tumblr.com/post/79749633621/learning-finnish-online

And, of course, there are the Moomins.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2015, 02:01:14 AM »
If the Moomins is not yoor thing (I personally hate that anime version), youtube is full of good quality Finnish dub clips of Disney movies and other stuff like that. Here's one from Disney's Mulan.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2015, 02:17:59 AM »
If the Moomins is not yoor thing (I personally hate that anime version)

Why do you hate the anime version?  And what version do you like, if any?

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2015, 06:52:38 AM »
The anime is visually too cute: all pastell coloured and rounded and syrupy. It also has all kinds of weird events and characters added to the original, most visibly the witch and her granddaughter. To top it all the Finnish dubbing makes it sound like almost all characters are idiots or speaking to little babies.

As a kid I used to watch and love a Polish piece animation originally called Opowiadania Muminków, known in Finland as Muumien maailma. The episodes I found in Youtube had very bad sound quality, but in 2010 a new movie Muumi ja punainen pyrstötähti, "Moomin and the Red Comet" was produced in Finland in the same style (looks like I wasn't the only one who loved the 70's - 80's Polish series ;)). You can watch the trailer here to get an idea of what it looks like.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2015, 09:08:11 AM »
Since Mumins were mentioned I would like to share two soviet versions of animation. They are not dubbed unfortunately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgABDocRd0o Design of this one has nothing in common with original Tove Jansson's art. I still like it, though, because the artist is Евгения Стерлигова (Eugenia Sterligova) and I like Sterligova.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLaRUgEfseQ And this puppet animation is more accustomed
majavanainen

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2015, 01:16:20 AM »
Oh gosh all the Moomins!  I would watch any of those, though I suppose subs would help with the Russian.  I will see if I can find the comet movie.

The anime moomins were the first we were exposed to, so I guess we don't know any better.  I like it, and my younger daughter loves it, but will only watch in English so far.  I think I like the English voices better than the Finnish. 

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2015, 01:43:31 AM »
Thanks for the links Bobriha, especially the first one is delightful. There's a lot in it that reminds me of Myyrä, The Little Mole, one of my kid's favorites (and one of mine as a kid as well) =)

Ann Marie, I guess it's just natural to feel the first animated version you've seen is "the right one" and then compare every other version with it. I liked the Polish animation so much in my childhood that the Japanese felt lame, unmagical and overtly sweet compared to it, but I could well imagine that for someone who has seen the anime first the Polish style piece animation may in turn seem clumsy and weird.

(Wooops, this was supposed to be The Finnish Learning Thread. Hope it helps if I write everything in Finnish as well...)

Kiitos linkeistä, Bobriha, varsinkin ensimmäinen on mainio. Muistuttaa paljon Myyrää (The Little Mole), joka on yksi lasteni lempiohjelmista (ja oli minunkin lapsena) =)

Ann Marie, lienee vain luonnollista, että ensimmäinen animoitu versio jonka näkee on "se oikea", johon sitten vertaa kaikkia muita versioita. Pidin puolalaisanimaatiosta lapsena niin paljon, että japanilainen tuntui kesyltä, lumottomalta ja ylisöpöltä verrattuna siihen, mutta voin hyvin kuvitella, että animeversion ensin nähneen silmissä puolalaistyylinen pala-animaatio saattaa vuorostaan näyttää kömpelöltä ja oudolta.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »
Kyllä on, suomeen takaisin.
Pessi, kiitos vastauksesta! Totuudeksi, tässä monet moittivat sitä elokuvaa, koska "on ihan väärää näköistä" :(. Sitä, että Mumin isänmaasta ihminen pitää siitä, on mainioakin. Ja puolalaisen animaatio on kivaa!

Ja, tänä keskiviikkona me (minä ja isäni) ovat poimineet ensimmaista sientä. Tattia :o. En minä koskaan tavannut ne niin aikaisin enkä jopa uskonut ne voivat kasvaa toukokuussa.
majavanainen

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2015, 11:30:32 PM »
Hello all you brave souls learning Finnish! You all have earned my highest respect.

I have a link for you: http://www.suberic.net/~tahnan/finnish.html
I don't think it's been posted here, but I could have missed it. It could also be somewhere else.

As for me, I can recognize the meaning of three Finnish words: ei, kiitos, and hyvää yötä (actually that's four words... math is my worst class). I can also sing along with the chorus of the song Kiitos ei ole kirosana, so I guess that counts for something.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »
We actually had two transfer students here that i met. One from Serbia and another from Japan and both managed to hold up a conversation in the end of a school year quite well.

The japanise girl even talked about how when she told her friends that she was to go to finland who then said: "Don't go to Finland it's gold and dark over there!"... Good advice  ;D

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2015, 08:15:33 AM »
Hei kaikki!

Minä aloitin opiskella suomen kielen! Se on erittäin vaiken! Jos teen vihreen, kerro minulle!
Native - :serbia:

Fluent - :uk: / :usa:

Moderate? - :sweden:  :italy:

Bits and pieces - :turkey:

atm? -              ^

Want to learn - pretty much anything, but mostly :latvia:, :greece:, Georgian, Modern Standard Arabic, Kalaallisut

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2015, 12:23:59 PM »
What is the difference between voida and pystyä?
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: