Author Topic: Finnish learning thread!  (Read 69351 times)

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • i am just a littol creachur
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Finnish learning thread!
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2015, 03:04:58 PM »
I ran into a funny picture about the multile ways we Finns use the phrase "no niin" and thought I'd post it here:

Happy learning everyone ;)

Oh my land I can't stop laughing....
fluent - :usa:
decentish - :mexico:
starting to learn - :finland: :japan:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »
Anton, you'll learn faster if you challenge yourself!  Or at least I keep telling myself that.  It doesn't quite seem to follow into actions, though.

http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/4262015024359.jpg

Just... shoot me now.

Hi,

I've been lurking around in the forum but never posted before :) I'm native Finn, originally from Häme-region, currently living in Espoo (next to Helsinki).

I ran into a funny picture about the multile ways we Finns use the phrase "no niin" and thought I'd post it here:

Obviously the next step in my learning process is to memorize this.
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2015, 04:33:57 AM »
For my facebook friends that list has recently been a source of merriment as well as serious discussions about the actual meanings of different stresses ;)

Facebook-kavereitani tuo lista on viime aikoina innoittanut niin hilpeyteen kuin vakaviin keskusteluihinkin eri painotusten oikeasta merkityksestä ;)

It's interesting how Finns and Russians by saying their hearts moved in directly opposite directions express one and the same feeling :)

Well, English speaking people write things down but we Finns write them up.

No, englanninkieliset ihmiset kirjoittavat asioita alas mutta me suomalaiset kirjoitamme niitä ylös.

My dialect is the metropol area variant of South Tavastian dialect - spiced with a bunch of old Helsinki slang words and newer loan words -  since I've lived all my life in Vantaa and Espoo. This means my S sound's hissing and my Ä has a strong tendency towards A, or so I've at least heard my dialect characterized in addition to the actual wording.

Minun murteeni on pääkaupunkiseudun muunnelma etelähämäläisestä murteesta - maustettuna nipulla Helsingin vanhan slangin sanoja ja uudempia lainasanoja - koska olen asunut koko ikäni Vantaalla ja Espoossa. Se tarkoittaa, että S:ni kuulostaa sihisevältä ja Ä:ni taipuu A:n suuntaan, tai niin olen ainakin kuullut murrettani luonnehdittavan varsinaisen sanaston lisäksi.

Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2015, 08:27:47 AM »
So whatever Finn does and wherever Finn (or at least parts of the Finn) goes, it is always upward :) . Kind of a good habit.
Speaking about this write down thing, in all dictionaries available to me including ungodly Google translator kirjoittaa muistiin goes first. Is there any difference between kirjoittaa muistiin and kirjoittaa ylös?
majavanainen

olavi

« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2015, 09:32:16 AM »
So whatever Finn does and wherever Finn (or at least parts of the Finn) goes, it is always upward :) . Kind of a good habit.
Speaking about this write down thing, in all dictionaries available to me including ungodly Google translator kirjoittaa muistiin goes first. Is there any difference between kirjoittaa muistiin and kirjoittaa ylös?

Not really. It's just a more direct way of saying it (muisti = memory; muistiin = into memory).

I did a quick search for the writing things "up" in Finnish and it seems it's a loan phrase from Swedish (skriva upp). The language board keeping the official guidelines recommends using "kirjoittaa muistiin" although both are understood and used widely.
Native :finland: > :usa: > :sweden: > :italy: > :france: > :netherlands: > :iceland: "Hello"

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2015, 12:29:37 PM »
Olavi, thank you very much for explanation and in whole for this great amount of participation in us lazy learners!
And here goes another question that concerns me a lot. And I think I'll try it in Finnish.
Jos minä haluan kiittää jonkin kuin ylempänä (i.e., thank you for smth.) suomeksi , millainen sija on tarvis?
Hope the phrase doesn't sounds too odd...
majavanainen

olavi

« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2015, 04:08:06 PM »
Olavi, thank you very much for explanation and in whole for this great amount of participation in us lazy learners!
And here goes another question that concerns me a lot. And I think I'll try it in Finnish.
Jos minä haluan kiittää jonkin kuin ylempänä (i.e., thank you for smth.) suomeksi , millainen sija on tarvis?
Hope the phrase doesn't sounds too odd...

Ei kestä! :) It helps my own language studies too to finally figure out what's going on in my own language. I was a lazy student when I was younger.

The usual way to say thanks uses elative: Kiitos jostain = Thanks for something (jostain is the elative of jokin = something)

Apart from special cases like above (right now I can't even think of an another) the suffix is -sta/-stä. Kiitos avusta = Thanks for the help; Kiitos kyydistä = Thanks for the ride; Kiitos lahjasta = Thanks for the gift.
Native :finland: > :usa: > :sweden: > :italy: > :france: > :netherlands: > :iceland: "Hello"

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2015, 10:29:39 PM »
Hello! I'm new here (I have recently received squirrel cookies) and am attempting to learn Finnish. Do any of you know where I can find information about Finnish cases? They're very confusing to me, and while I've found plenty on how to form them, an explanation on how to use them still escapes me. If anyone has links to share, they would be much appreciated!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2015, 12:28:42 AM »
Hello! I'm new here (I have recently received squirrel cookies) and am attempting to learn Finnish. Do any of you know where I can find information about Finnish cases? They're very confusing to me, and while I've found plenty on how to form them, an explanation on how to use them still escapes me. If anyone has links to share, they would be much appreciated!
ll

Squirrel cookies!  I hope you got the kind that don't bite back. 

I've been using this page, but there could be better ones:

https://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/finnish-cases.html

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2015, 03:40:08 AM »
http://www.uusikielemme.fi/grammar.html Has some information about cases and the ways to use them as well.
Olavi, kiitos selityksestä! Minun täytyy lukea paikallisijaista muuta kertaa...
majavanainen

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2015, 04:14:47 AM »
Yritän kirjoittaa kirje.

Suomi on vaikea. 

*itkee*

eta:  Well, I managed one sentence, and wrote the rest in English.  Hopefully didn't embarrass myself too badly.
Now, bed!  zzzzzzzz

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 06:26:04 AM by Ann Marie »

Divra

« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
Hi,

I've been lurking around in the forum but never posted before :) I'm native Finn, originally from Häme-region, currently living in Espoo (next to Helsinki).

Hi, fella! Have some squirrel cookies!

Now, while you're munching, would you mind popping over to the Introduction thread and telling us a bit about who you are?

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2015, 04:01:29 PM »
Yritän kirjoittaa kirje.

Suomi on vaikea. 

*itkee*

eta:  Well, I managed one sentence, and wrote the rest in English.  Hopefully didn't embarrass myself too badly.
Now, bed!  zzzzzzzz

Well not too bad honestly. Really you only at least here missed the Imperfect form of "Yritän" which would be "Yritin", You should use the genetive form to signify that you were writing a letter so "Kirje" turns to "Kirjeen" and lastly "Vaikea" should be "Vaikeaa".

Really these are pritty minor mistakes that just get ironed out after hearing and using the language more so you shouldn't be troubled.  :)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2015, 05:05:38 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions! I think they will come in very handy :)
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2015, 06:03:34 PM »
Well not too bad honestly. Really you only at least here missed the Imperfect form of "Yritän" which would be "Yritin", You should use the genetive form to signify that you were writing a letter so "Kirje" turns to "Kirjeen" and lastly "Vaikea" should be "Vaikeaa".

Really these are pritty minor mistakes that just get ironed out after hearing and using the language more so you shouldn't be troubled.  :)

Wait wait wait, why would I use the imperfect?  I hadn't written the letter; I was still writing it. 

Obviously I don't understand cases at all.  *hangs head*  Must study more, if I can find the time.  And actually use Finnish more instead of just trying to memorize stuff.

I mean, thank you for the feedback!  I really appreciate it.