Author Topic: Finnish learning thread!  (Read 69351 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: Finnish learning thread!
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2015, 05:09:19 AM »
Sunflower: funnily enough I've never thought of ice hockey as "one of the roughest, toughest team sports", certainly a team sport but more to do with skill and precision. I have no actual, good explanation for the song choice but the song choice sounds nowhere near unusual in other Nordic countries either. Have you heard Den glider in, as an example? It was originally composed to celebrate a Swedish ice hockey victory but alas that one time it was a bit too soon - Finland won. The song was immediately appropriated for Finnish use of course.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
another reference link
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2015, 07:31:46 PM »
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: another reference link
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2015, 11:54:27 PM »
https://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/Finnish.html

Great resource -- thanks for sharing it!  I have no intention of actually learning Finnish, but I'm interested in how languages work.

One of the links on that site led to www.finland.fi, a site run by the Finland Promotion Board.

Of particular interest:  "How the heck did you learn Finnish?" a 2-part article (in English) interviewing various Europeans on what worked for them to learn Finnish. 

BTW, I'm amused to see that links to actual lessons are titled:

Starry-eyed study of Finnish (Intermediate Finnish 101)
Your honeymoon with the Finnish language (Intermediate Finnish 102)
The unbearable beauty of Finnish grammar (Intermediate Finnish 103)

If this post is redundant, I'll take it down. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • i am just a littol creachur
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2015, 07:45:14 PM »
*hesitantly waves*
I just started learning Finnish last week, and I'm really excited, kind of intimidated, and kind of overwhelmed. But mostly excited.
Finnish is such a pretty language oh my word ^.^
fluent - :usa:
decentish - :mexico:
starting to learn - :finland: :japan:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2015, 02:31:14 AM »
Sunflower, the Finnish hockey teams have all kinds of songs they've adopted as their "own". There are also lots of people who follow the US sports, so no wonder if our sports scene's musical taste is influenced by it.

1995 was in the hockie circles the year of great celebration for the realisation of a long held dream: our national team Leijonat (Lions) finaly beat Sweden's national team Tre kronor (Three Crowns) in a world championships final. That CD is part of the hype, so they've collected on it the most loved "team songs". (It has also such a glaring grammatical error on it's cover that I don't know whether I should laugh or cry. Perhaps the best way to deal with it is just shrug and remember that grammar is not something the hockey scene is usually very interested in ;))

Auringonkukka, suomalaisilla lätkäjoukkueilla on kaikenlaisia "omiksi" otettuja lauluja. Täällä on myös paljon ihmisiä, jotka seuraavat jenkkiurheilua, joten ei liene ihme, jos meidän urheiluympyröidemme musiikkimaku on saanut vaikutteita sieltä.

1995 oli jääkiekkoympyröissä vuosi, jolloin juhlittiin isossa mittakaavassa pitkäaikaisen unelman toteutumista: meidän maajoukkueemme Leijonat voitti vihdoin Ruotsin maajoukkueen Tre Kronorin lätkän maailmanmestaruuskisojen finaalissa. Tuo CD on osa sitä hehkutusta, joten sille on kerätty kaikki rakkaimmat "joukkuelaulut". (Sen kannessa on muuten sen luokan kielioppivirhe, etten tiedä itkeäkö vai nauraa. Ehkä paras ohittaa asia olankohautuksella muistaen, ettei kielioppi ole kovin korkeassa kurssissa jääkiekkoympyröissä ;))

Ann Marie, the Moomins that I presume you are watching, the 90's anime version Tanoshii Mumin Ikka, was originally produced in Japanese. It has been shown on Finnish TV dubbed both in Finnish and in Swedish. Our eldest goddaughter used to watch it in Swedish as a small child and was then in raptures when she met Finland's Swedish children for the first time in her life, for they were speking the Moomin languge!

Ann Marie, se muumisarja jota oletan sinun katsovan, 90-luvun anime-versio Tanoshii Mumin Ikka, tuotettiin alkujaan japaniksi. Sitä on näytetty Suomen TV:ssä dubattuna sekä suomeksi että ruotsiksi. Vanhin kummityttömme katsoi sitä pienenä ruotsiksi ja oli sitten ihan haltioissaan tavatessaan ensimmäistä kertaa suomenruotsalaisia lapsia, koska he puhuivat muumien kieltä!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:40:24 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2015, 02:44:36 AM »
Our eldest goddaughter used to watch it in Swedish as a small child and was then in raptures when she met Finland's Swedish children for the first time in her life, for they were speking the Moomin languge!

Sneaking into this thread to say that that is the cutest thing I have ever heard!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2015, 02:06:56 AM »
Sunflower, the Finnish hockey teams have all kinds of songs they've adopted as their "own". There are also lots of people who follow the US sports, so no wonder if our sports scene's musical taste is influenced by it.

1995 was in the hockey circles the year of great celebration for the realisation of a long held dream: our national team Leijonat (Lions) finaly beat Sweden's national team Tre kronor (Three Crowns) in a world championships final. That CD is part of the hype, so they've collected on it the most loved "team songs". (It has also such a glaring grammatical error on its cover that I don't know whether I should laugh or cry. Perhaps the best way to deal with it is just shrug and remember that grammar is not something the hockey scene is usually very interested in ;))

Auringonkukka, suomalaisilla lätkäjoukkueilla on kaikenlaisia "omiksi" otettuja lauluja. Täällä on myös paljon ihmisiä, jotka seuraavat jenkkiurheilua, joten ei liene ihme, jos meidän urheiluympyröidemme musiikkimaku on saanut vaikutteita sieltä.

Thanks for the explanation, Pessi!  You know you're an SSSS addict when...

Am I right that "Auringonkukka" is "Sunflower" in Finnish?  Does it literally break down as "sun" + "flower," or is the "auringo-" part a cognate with other European languages' terms for "orange" or "gold"?

And what's the big honking grammatical error?  You've got me curious.   :)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Cancvas

• Middle aged potbellied grump.
  • Preferred pronouns: hän
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2015, 03:23:18 AM »
Well Auringonkukka would be Suns flower (flower owned by sun). Somebody else can give proper grammatics to that :)

... wont translate 1st part. Joku muu voi tehdä asianmukaisen kieliopituksen tuolle.

-C
Native: :fi:
Adequate: :gb: / :us:, Administrative: :se:
Studied: :de:
Considering :fr:
Being friendly cost nothing and often pays off. Just spice it with grain of salt.

Lalligaattori

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2015, 04:18:50 AM »
Am I right that "Auringonkukka" is "Sunflower" in Finnish?  Does it literally break down as "sun" + "flower," or is the "auringo-" part a cognate with other European languages' terms for "orange" or "gold"?

ooooh i can do this one!

aurinko = sun, auringon = sun's (genitive case), and kukka = flower

so yeah it's 'sun's flower' (as above)
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

native: :uk:
ok: :germany:
not learning: :finland:
rusty and woefully neglected: :france:
the start of something beautiful: :spain:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2015, 08:24:56 PM »
*hesitantly waves*
I just started learning Finnish last week, and I'm really excited, kind of intimidated, and kind of overwhelmed. But mostly excited.
Finnish is such a pretty language oh my word ^.^

It is!  And welcome!  How is it going so far?

I remember a couple occasions from youth, when visiting elderly people on various places in Finland, they actually switched to speak 'youthwise' or 'properly', when they saw me not getting them. This happened even with my own granny when she was (with me) visiting more distant family in the southeast coast. :-)

Oh please I hope this means people will speak clearly for me, too!

Ann Marie, se muumisarja jota oletan sinun katsovan, 90-luvun anime-versio Tanoshii Mumin Ikka, tuotettiin alkujaan japaniksi. Sitä on näytetty Suomen TV:ssä dubattuna sekä suomeksi että ruotsiksi. Vanhin kummityttömme katsoi sitä pienenä ruotsiksi ja oli sitten ihan haltioissaan tavatessaan ensimmäistä kertaa suomenruotsalaisia lapsia, koska he puhuivat muumien kieltä!

That is adorable.  <3  Are there other Moomin cartoons?  Oh, never mind, I see there have been several.  I'm sure we are watching the newest one, and the kids love it.  I have in fact been informed that we will be visiting Muumimailma this summer.

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2015, 08:57:28 PM »
For reasons, I'm wondering what the differences between different greetings are. Like there are all the greetings for different times of day, hei, moi, moikka(?), etc.... I'm sure it's not a huge change, but I guess like, do they feel different? I really only started and probably shouldn't worry, but I over analyze things.
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
Re: another reference link
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2015, 02:10:50 AM »
BTW, I'm amused to see that links to actual lessons are titled:

Starry-eyed study of Finnish (Intermediate Finnish 101)
Your honeymoon with the Finnish language (Intermediate Finnish 102)
The unbearable beauty of Finnish grammar (Intermediate Finnish 103)

If this post is redundant, I'll take it down.

*snerk* 

Not redundant at all that I can tell, but I have a poor memory, so I really don't mind repeats posts.

I think you secretly want to learn Finnish.  ;-)

Cancvas

• Middle aged potbellied grump.
  • Preferred pronouns: hän
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2015, 05:26:24 AM »
Here is some formal greetings:
Huomenta = good morning (huomen(na) = tomorrow)
Päivää (less formal) or Hyvää päivää = good day
Iltaa (less formal) or Hyvää iltaa = good evening
Öitä (less formal) or hyvää yötä = Good night, usually used when going to sleep

"Hei" is older form than "moi" and they're informal greetings, "heippa" and "moikka" are more of good byes than greeting, but can be used as greeting also. "Hei" is also generic exlamation of (most often) suprise. There are also dialect variants like "Moro" at Tampere region (Häme).  Also "terve" (=healthy) can be used (I often do) as greeting. Note that tervehdys translates as greeting or salutation.

-C
Native: :fi:
Adequate: :gb: / :us:, Administrative: :se:
Studied: :de:
Considering :fr:
Being friendly cost nothing and often pays off. Just spice it with grain of salt.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2015, 08:02:45 AM »
And what's the big honking grammatical error?  You've got me curious.   :)

Sankari lauluja. It should be sankarilauluja. Mistakes with compound words are something that only children and badly educated people (and of course non-natives, but that's a different story and totally ok) do and there really shouldn't be one on the cover of a CD. And that one is even such a simple and obvious one as compound words go.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • i am just a littol creachur
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2015, 08:00:29 PM »
It is!  And welcome!  How is it going so far?
Thanks! It's going pretty well, all things considered. I've been super busy, so I haven't had much time to spend on it. :/
fluent - :usa:
decentish - :mexico:
starting to learn - :finland: :japan: