Author Topic: The Forum's Scriptorium  (Read 88856 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: The Forum's Scriptorium
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2015, 11:02:45 AM »
??? Alright, my bad then. However, that's still more than ten, and making a functioning cure requires more of more complicated know-how, time and study than designing a robot.
indeed. I think the guy who designed the proteinbased strip for recognizing cancer in the US was 15 when he won the prize for his method (way more effective than before and way cheaper). But then who knows where humanity will go during the next few years...

It does not say that Brook acted entirely on his own though. Also at the age of ten he could have found out about the government as source of the disease because maybe his childish naivity did not allow fear of a government. If he really "learned" about corruption or just learned that trusted people cause suffering is another matter though.

If he was too naive to be afraid of the government he never would have experienced corruption as the cause of adults being not trustworthy because that requires a theory of mind level that would cause fear of your government.

eh the robot acutally identified balls by colour in different shades of light and thus shortened work processes ;) that is still not curing a disease but to know about that stuff, design, built it and use the right colour identifying software is really awesome. Though that is one of those projects the industries will never buy and actually use.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2015, 11:18:35 AM »
Well I have kids in school who could read well at the age of four.
then the contest "Jugend forscht" (youth researches) has an 11 year old in the winning categories. She had designed a robot that helped people putting stuff in storage technical environment into order. She won against many people older than her. And she was alone on her project...

Yeah, I could already read on my own at four too, and learned how to write before other kids. And yes, there are some very young geniuses. As Aier said, I don't believe that someone could outright invent a cure (programming is one thing, medical research another, I'd say, but then again I may be mistaken. I'm not a programmer nor a researcher.)

Anyway, as said it's their(her?his?) story, so they should do what they prefer - but maybe specifying all these reasons they mentioned.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Marienara

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »
Another reason Brook was able to so easily "find" the cure for the disease is because it had been artificially been created in the governments labs. Labs that he had free access to use at the time. That was also how he discovered that the government was responsible for creating and distributing it.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2015, 11:40:21 AM »
Another reason Brook was able to so easily "find" the cure for the disease is because it had been artificially been created in the governments labs. Labs that he had free access to use at the time. That was also how he discovered that the government was responsible for creating and distributing it.

I should send ahead that I like your setting and the story. My head just keeps asking questions like: How could a government hold a girl in custody without a genius knowing while this genius discovers so much inside stuff in their labs. If the kid had free access, how did the parents not know anything about stuff going on there?. And how on earth could that dumb government evacuate an entire planet if they manage to get caught by someone they have allowed access to the lab while knowing that this person is pretty smart?

Also shouldn't it be possible to clone enough cells with Brooks gen material to let a 3d printer produce some genetic material which lets them enter his realm? (OK, dunno if there is 3d printers invented in your universe).

Actually I am pretty interested in what happened before AR1 XD.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Marienara

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2015, 12:07:04 PM »
The government didn't hold Brook's sister in custody, they threatened to take her from her parents should they ever step out of line, and that included them disillusioning their son. The parents knew exactly what the government was doing, but fear for their daughter kept them in line. The government was caught by Brook because they grossly underestimated him. They saw him as just some ignorant child who happened to be good with machinery. They didn't think he was mature enough to make the needed connections to recognize what was in the biology labs, let alone be able to deduce that they had created it instead of thinking they were searching for a cure. As far as the 3d printing of his genetic materials is concerned. They would have had to clone his entire body, including his neuron network. The teleporter was powered on when he stepped on it and a scan of his body was complete. If all they had was a hunk of flesh with his dna on it, it would not have been enough.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2015, 12:13:15 PM »
The government didn't hold Brook's sister in custody, they threatened to take her from her parents should they ever step out of line, and that included them disillusioning their son. The parents knew exactly what the government was doing, but fear for their daughter kept them in line. The government was caught by Brook because they grossly underestimated him. They saw him as just some ignorant child who happened to be good with machinery. They didn't think he was mature enough to make the needed connections to recognize what was in the biology labs, let alone be able to deduce that they had created it instead of thinking they were searching for a cure. As far as the 3d printing of his genetic materials is concerned. They would have had to clone his entire body, including his neuron network. The teleporter was powered on when he stepped on it and a scan of his body was complete. If all they had was a hunk of flesh with his dna on it, it would not have been enough.

smart child indeed. 3d prints are "only" able to provide mice with artificial kidneys as far as I read.

If people just had known how inept their government has been...

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Marienara

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »
Yes, if they had known how inept they were indeed, things would have gone differently, but they were extremely cowed and ruled by fear at this point. Remember that the government had been killing off all opposition for over a decade.

I also think there is some confusion as to the teleporter. Brook did not have it when he was ten, he began developing it after the first raid on his lab. He completed it when he was twelve.

Marienara

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2015, 02:17:25 PM »
After further work, the timeline is now 20 pages long and stops just before the War of Cleansing begins. There's still a lot to go, but I've been awake for over 24 hours now and my boy needs lunch soon. Then it will be time for a nap. Please feel free to make comments and ask questions. You've all helped me tremendously. I honestly hadn't even thought of some of the things you asked about.

I will continue to spit forth content until I come to the end of the timeline, and over time you'll probably see some of the gaps (like most of Brook's travels) filled in, but I need to call it quit for now, and probably won't get back to it for at least another 24 hours.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2015, 04:04:43 PM »
Marienara, you've had a very impressive debut.  Can I persuade you to introduce yourself properly in the Introduction Thread? I'm sure we'd all love to learn a bit more about you.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Marienara

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
Okay, my introduction is complete. I'll make another post here when I've got more added to the timeline, but I'm at the point where it starts to get somewhat detailed and complicated, so it may take a bit.

Marienara

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2015, 06:11:46 AM »
New information has been added to the entry 3142 GE. The first information outlining the events of the War of Cleansing have been added, including the introduction of Tekesh and Sarah. Most of the details of the war have yet to be chronicled, and so information following the first events will likely be sparse. I'll let you know when I have more written down, in the meantime, I hope you enjoy the passage I have included in this section.

Marienara

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2015, 01:19:24 PM »
The entry Before Rebirth has been edited to include a passage from Brook's memoirs explaining his unusual intelligence and shedding light on the fate of his native people.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2015, 02:44:15 AM »
I'm posting here as an assessment of interest (or, more probably, lack thereof): Would anyone like me to start posting (links to) two "ghostly" love stories I've been contemplating for some time?
or
If I posted said links, would readers mind critiquing/commenting on the stories?

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2015, 08:43:58 PM »
Hi Looney! I've just found this thread, in my slow and cautious explorations of the forum. And, I'd love to see what you've written. Don't know how much use my critiques would be, but I'm game!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2015, 10:25:16 PM »
So, here's two I started a long time ago. Most common criticism: too wordy.

I'll try to have the first bits of the two I mentioned earlier up and linked soon.