Author Topic: The Forum's Scriptorium  (Read 88848 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The Forum's Scriptorium
« Reply #375 on: October 26, 2020, 10:21:29 AM »
                                              THE END OF THE WORLD:

It was bad enough, she thought, to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, with nowhere to go and no money to get there. It was worse to have agreed to take a job that involved teaching three monstrously ill-tempered and bad-mannered brats, after their last boarding school had informed their doting parents that no amount of money would induce the school to take those children back for another term. They had advertised for a governess, and in desperation she had taken the job.

Worst of all was that a condition of her employment was that as well as teaching and supervising the children, she should be 'willing to assist with farm tasks as and when needed'. When her employers had learned that she could ride they had been delighted. So now the children had gone to visit their grandparents down in Adelaide for a fortnight over Christmas, and she was about to set out into the Outback wilderness on a nervous quarter-horse far taller than the ponies she had been used to ride in Yorkshire, to check dam levels, pasture condition and fences. None of this should be a problem; she had come from a farming family back in England, but it was six in the morning and already the temperature was climbing toward the century. She knew there were snakes, bushfires, half-wild natives, sandstorms and for all she knew about the bush, the bloody bunyip out there, but when she contemplated going back to Adelaide, and the husband who had turned into a very different man once she was alone with him, thousands of miles from their families and her friends..... She shivered, even in the heat. No, she would rather take her chance with the bunyips.

She rode through light and silence. Once the first shock of heat passed, she began to relax. A little niggle of pain in her lower back eased in the warmth, for the first time since her childhood.

Around noon she paused at the lowest one of three dams to eat lunch and to water the horse. The water looked clear and tasted sweet. She drank from her cupped hands and listened to the silence.    Sand whispered in small puffs of wind, insects chirred, a raven complained, a tiny finch-like bird chirped on a grass stem. Just on the edge of hearing, some small creature scraped and burrowed in the hot loose soil. Under the noises was silence, and under the silence ran a song. She listened, solemn and attentive, reminded of the silence she had heard as a child, on her Yorkshire moors.

When she rode to the top dam and found the dead roo decaying in the water she laughed and made a note to report it. She knew that water poured straight down into the bottom dam, but she felt fine. The land sang to her like a lover all the way home.

Coming back to the house she paused by the name plate on the gate. In heavy letters of  black and white enamel it proclaimed 'Worlds End Station'.

She sighed, happily. It may have been the end of the world, but it was also the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

*True story. This happened to a friend of mine.*

Yastreb, you might recognise Judith’s story? She has been dead for a few years now, but she gave me permission, way back, to write the story of how she fell in love with the land and came to settle here in Australia.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Róisín

« Reply #376 on: October 26, 2020, 10:47:55 AM »
Another short story, based on some of the stones on children’s graves in pioneer graveyards around here. Many of the early settlers in our area were Lutheran refugees fleeing religious persecution, such as those who founded Blumberg (later rechristened Birdwood), Lobethal and Hahndorf. Some of them married into Irish families (refugees from the famine) or Scottish ones (refugees from the Clearances). The names in the story aren’t.....quite......those on a stone I remember.

“When did you come in, I didn’t see you last night?”.

“Not until late, love. Or early, it was getting light. I’m sorry. You were asleep, finally, when I looked in so I slept on the couch by the fire. Or tried to sleep. It’s hard, just now. I didn’t want to disturb you - you desperately need the rest. It was good to see you sleeping.”

His broad shoulders shook a little as he bowed his head in relief. The big hands clenched in his lap, and she saw new cuts and bruises on his work-hardened palms and fingers. She crossed the room, knelt and took his hands in hers, stroking the scarred and calloused skin.

“Oh, your poor hands! Whatever have you been doing?” She saw the residue of grey stone-dust in the cracks of his skin. “Oh. Your masonry tools? You should have woken me.”

“No, sorry love, I couldn’t have borne to do......that work..... with you by me. Hard enough as it was. Sorry.”

“No, you’re right. I would have cried, and distracted you so you cut yourself with the chisel. Or spoiled your work.” Her voice shook as she bowed her head against his battered hands. Tears stood in her eyes, but after a moment she shook her head. “No. Not now. I’ll make a cup of tea, and you need some breakfast, and to get cleaned up. We’ll do her proud.”

From the small window she gazed out across the expanse of newly ploughed paddock which they had hoped in a few months to see covered with waves of wheat: their first crop. Their little girl had been so much looking forward to seeing ‘my dad’s wheat garden’ and to helping her mum to make bread from that first crop. Now......

Blinking back tears, she steeled herself to go to work. Stirring the fire in the woodstove and feeding it a few dry twigs ahead of loading in the split wood, she blew on the flames, filled the big kettle and put tealeaves in the pot, and put the frying pan on the stovetop to heat for making her husband’s breakfast. She should start making some scones. The neighbours would be over soon, and the pastor had promised to consecrate a small patch of their land to be their family graveyard. Her eyes filled again at the thought of the first small grave. She knew what her husband had been making, and what the inscription would read.

‘Anna Schultz. Loved and loving daughter of Helmut and Caitlín (nee MacNeil) aged 3 years. 1 February 1870 to 21 June 1873’.

Róisín

« Reply #377 on: October 26, 2020, 10:57:37 AM »
One last story, which I hope is somewhat funny. As I find other pieces I think suitable I shall put a few up.

From Prompts.

“Doctor! Help!”

James looked up in confusion at the girl screaming his name. What was going on here? He had stopped in the small coffee shop to get breakfast on his way home after an exhausting night of work, but before he had taken more than a sip of mocha and a single bite of egg and bacon roll she was there, right in his face, shaking his shoulder and yelling. For a moment he was disoriented. His mind had been far away from the café in its Paddington back street, lost in trying to memorise script changes and strange American pronunciations (why did script writers insist on making their characters American, he wondered, even in a series set in Sydney?). He tried to interrupt her, or at least to get a word in among her not very coherent pleas, but nothing seemed to catch her attention. Not even when he finally yelled back: “I’m not a doctor! I just play one on TV!”.

“No you don’t” was her  reply. After which she stuttered, blushed, stopped herself, and finally came out with: “Oh, yes, of course you do, no wonder I called you doctor! But the situation is not a medical problem, I need help with something quite different, and you just looked so calm and competent.....”. Once more she ground to a halt, stuttering, then seemed to pull herself together. “The fact is....... oh, this sounds so silly now I say it! But there’s a spider in the kitchen!

“But I’m an actor!” James was now becoming a little incoherent himself. “Not a spider wrangler! An actor, and a good one! And anyway, I’m terrified of spiders myself.”

She now looked slightly less frightened and more interested. “What do you mean ‘a good one’? How does an actor even tell how good he is?”

James calmed a little as he tried to explain. “Well, a really good actor can play anyone convincingly. Anyone.”

“ What, you think you could play an old man? Or a woman? People would notice! Don’t be silly!” She was getting louder, and people were beginning to stare.

“Hush! I can be the queen of England for all they know.”

“What? You don’t even have a British accent and no, don’t you dare try! You will not get it right.”

Suddenly they were both struck by the absurdity of the situation and of their conversation. For several minutes all they could do was hold onto each other and try not to fall over laughing. By the time they trailed off into random giggles they were much better friends.

They looked at each other and said as one: “Alright! Now let’s go and deal with that spider!”

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #378 on: October 26, 2020, 11:02:36 AM »
Hello Autarch!

Very intriguing. The setting seems very original and you paint a picture of suffering without going into too much disgusting details. Well done! You say this is an excerpt, so maybe things such as the Hanged God were explained earlier, but I personally like this sort of style where there isn't too much explanations, the reader just picks things up. Your idea of sermons (religious sermons of the Hanged God, I understood? English is not my first language) used to break the siege is fascinating!

On the vein of possibly helping you along, there was one part where I was confused a little. In the following:

Our band of Mercenaries was brought in to handle it. The Valentians were surviving with what must be hidden food stores, hidden water, mayhaps some aid from some outside helper. There was no other way short of divine intervention that allowed them to continue fighting, continue living.

Some of their men searched for points of ingress, places where they could fight their way through, waste tunnels, waterways, catacombs, each of them armed with too many cultists holding scourges and crossbows. When I first laid eyes on them I saw the face of death beckoning me to join him in those eyes.

From context I assume their men means men of the other Mercenary bands? Or is it the Valentians? I would understand this to mean that the (other) Mercenaries are trying to break in via the tunnels etc, but there are too many Valentian cultists guarding every way. You may wish to clarify here a little.

Otherwise, your language is great! It looks like a very interesting story.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

AndrogynousAutarch

• Preferred pronouns: He/ Him/ They
« Reply #379 on: October 26, 2020, 07:12:15 PM »
I'm glad you liked it.

From context I assume their men means men of the other Mercenary bands? Or is it the Valentians? I would understand this to mean that the (other) Mercenaries are trying to break in via the tunnels etc, but there are too many Valentian cultists guarding every way. You may wish to clarify here a little.

Alright, my bad.  :'D

I meant the previous mercenary bands. it didn't cross my mind to edit that. I'll keep that in mind. I'll keep working on it.
The king of all creation fell out of heaven, usurped by a seven headed beast. But the old king shall choose a new, and he will ignite the Third Conquest. He will be flanked by a white and a black flame, His coming will be followed by 108 burning stars. He will bear the terrible heat of the voice in his brow, the mark of his lordliness. He will face the beast—and he will annihilate it.
He will wield the terrible blade of Want, and the pillars of heaven will quake with his coming.
And his name—his

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #380 on: October 26, 2020, 07:15:32 PM »
Yeah, I had a problem figuring out that one too.

Anyway, good story. Hope to see more from you, Autarch.

AndrogynousAutarch

« Reply #381 on: October 27, 2020, 04:47:20 AM »
This is continued from the previous excerpt. It takes place in what is described as a special prison for a certain type of prisoner.

This letter was found folded up and torn slightly in what could be identified as the body of Andruz Dunnaz, leader of the latest band of mercenaries to attempt the siege of Valentia, a city situated at the border dividing the Dominion of Fasca and the Kingdom of Tunvoss. A copy of this letter was found in the hands of Dunnaz’s courier who sat in a cell at WhiteStone Prison, officially named St. Veneration’s prison.

The messenger boy, Deybid, stared back at the two prison guards opening the cell door, ignoring the man to come to interview him. Unlike the guards, who were clad in pure white uniforms, matching the pure white walls of the prison, Deybid could hear the sound of the man’s feet hitting the carved stone floor. That was a beautiful noise indeed. The guards at St. Veneration wore softened shoes to come as quietly as possible when moving throughout the prison.

Already for weeks, Deybid had been contained within his blank white cell. Though it didn’t matter for him. His cell was lit from the inside by pure white light, kept on at all times, there was no passage of time in St. Veneration. Whenever guards would come inside they would speak news of the outside, occasionally ask questions, or stay silent. The silence was unbearable. They would come in sometimes bearing white trays of white food, nearly flavorless and lukewarm, but able to keep him alive. When the man came in, Deybid’s heart was already pounding harder than the day he was sent here.

The man, dressed in a gray cloak, drenched in water, removed his hood. His face was that of a handsome northern specimen, possibly from Escoras from where some similar-looking squadmates hailed, blonde-haired and clean-shaven, looking younger than Deybid did when he first joined the mercenaries.

Deybid did not fear when the man spoke in front of him.

Facing Deybid, he said, “Simply barbaric, what you do to these people. How do you sleep at night, when this is your employment?”

One of the guards responded, “M’lord, we don’t sleep well. The screams and words of the prisoners don’t leave us, even after leaving the white halls. Folks like this one, are the lucky ones, getting visitors and all. The whispers and noises coming out of the other cells at night are simply something out of hell”

The other guard remained silent.

“My name is Alexis,” the man said. “I have come to ask you a few questions about what you saw back then, young man.”

“I don’t remember, that’s what I told the others who came! I don’t know!”

“I’m sorry you feel that way.”

“I would tell you if I could, I swear! I can speak and think and everything like a normal man, but to even remember anything from before I came here is impossible, I swear by the Hanged God!”

“Hanged God?”

“Ah, I’m sorry, I mean--”

“No, no that will be alright.”

“No, it’s not alright! Since I was taken here I have had no answers, no help, or kindness from anyone! They come and go silently and refuse to listen to anything that I say! I know I had a life outside of this prison and deserve more than what you’re treating me with!”

“How can you be sure, that you were not simply born here and that the rest of your life won’t be spent in this cell?”

“I can’t believe that. I know that there’s a world out there.”

“If you can’t remember it, how can you be sure? There are no windows leading outside nor doors through which anything comes inside that you can see.”

“Because I remember.”

“What do you remember, really?”

“I remember what I was taken in for and I remember that there is something outside.”

“Alright, what?”

Deybid could not say with certainty. He knew that there were plains, but questioned that when he thought of the craggy hills he was in, but failed to reconcile the forest of trees with that.

Deybid fidgeted around stressed and one could almost hear a whimpering sound come from him as he desperately tried to remember. Alexis touched his hand to Deybid’s head and pulled in close to his ear, whispered something, and pulled away.

“Do you remember now?”

Surprised that now he could easily remember, Deybid said, “Yes.”

“Now tell me what happened in Valentia, what happened to your group. Alright? This is very important.”

Alexis moved in even closer, close enough to have breathed on him.

“Alright. You’re going to tell me everything about what happened here and if you cooperate, you can go free. Do you understand?”

Shocked out of his mind, Deybid whispered in the affirmative.
The king of all creation fell out of heaven, usurped by a seven headed beast. But the old king shall choose a new, and he will ignite the Third Conquest. He will be flanked by a white and a black flame, His coming will be followed by 108 burning stars. He will bear the terrible heat of the voice in his brow, the mark of his lordliness. He will face the beast—and he will annihilate it.
He will wield the terrible blade of Want, and the pillars of heaven will quake with his coming.
And his name—his

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #382 on: October 27, 2020, 07:00:09 AM »
Soo, I suppose the psychomancer didn’t get there in time. Another intriguing scene and setting, Autarch! I can see you have strong world building skills! If you can keep this level of imagination and originality also coherent within itself, this has the makings of a remarkable creation!

On the first chapter... the letter was found IN the body. That does not bide well. Definitely not for Andruz, that’s for sure.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
« Reply #383 on: October 27, 2020, 07:40:31 PM »
A Smile In Your Heart

Noschyre, Province of Rethira, Irthiron
March 17th, 1287 AU/2477 LC

The Irthironians were among the most emotionally stilted people in the world. A proper man or woman had no time for flights of fancy, no fairytale ideals, no elves at the bottom of the garden. There were the stories in the Attestation, of course, but they were just that–stories. Parables. Explanations of good behaviour, with reference only to things that might happen. There was no time for Nonsense.
There was no patience for Fantasy.
And imaginary friends Did Not Exist.
Which is why it so disturbed Mister Cenric Fernburn, 24 Market Lane, to see a small boy, ten and timeless, creep into the bedroom window of his children from out of thin air in the early evening.
Because such things did not happen.
Children were not taken away by flying boys. Children were taken away in the middle of the night by monsters of a much more conventional kind. Rapists. Slavers from the barbarian lands to the far east. Drug addicts. Travelling sorcerers. This was what he'd been told, all these years, and this was what he believed.
And it was with all the speed a father could muster that he tore open his front door, pushed past Cook and Aeda, and bounded up the steps three at a time, screaming at the top of his lungs, "Leave them alone you bastard I'll kill you I'll kill you keep your hands off my children–"
But he was too late. The room was empty. That bay window was open wide, and that big room, with the blue walls and the three four-post beds and the old rocking horse in the corner, was silent and lifeless.
All except for the child.
It smiled at Cenric, like a doll. An expression of mirth painted on his cherubic face like a factory toy, golden curls tousled about his head, eyes as pale and cold as stars, dressed in leaves. Oak leaves, like the ones in the park, the only trees his children really spent any time with.
"I came to see you for myself," it said. Cora's voice.
No. Not Cora's voice. When Cora told the story of Girrah-Goorrah, the flying boy, to her brothers, she gave him a voice full of victory and daring. A voice like a hero.
This was that voice, coming from this mockery of a boy. An illusion.
"Where are my children?"
"You're not even afraid of me," said Girrah-Goorrah, and there was a hint of anger in his voice now. Anger like the Children's Mother had had, at the world, at everyone. Hateful anger. "You're supposed to be afraid of me."
"I'm not afraid," whispered Cenric. "Not of you. You're not real. You can't be. You're a monster, and you stole my children, and you have the gall to wear the face of my daughter's imaginary friend."
"Oh, so you know about me?" said the boy. He rose into the air, sitting cross-legged at head height. "You actually listened to your children, then? All those nights spent sitting on the steps outside the nursery?"
"How would a kidnapper know about that?" snarled Cenric.
There. The shape flickered, just for a minute. Again.
"I'm no kidnapper!" shouted the timeless child. "I'm not! I'm not! I'm not!"
"And now you're mocking my Warraen. That's what he does when he says something I don't believe. You're no child. You're copying my children. You stole them from me, and God knows I can't think of what you want to do with them without vomiting, but you're not Girrah-Goorrah. You're a sick, disgusting person who stole my children from me."
There it was again! A shabby old man, in a raggedy coat, with a leering face. Whatever it was scrunched up its face tight, like it was in pain, and the boy was back.
"Stop! Please!"
"And now that's my Persi when he and Warraen fight," said Cenric, moving forward. "You took my children, I don't know where you've hidden them, but I will find them."
And the ageless child laughed, and this time it wasn't the laugh of his children, or his wife-of-late. It was like the barking of a dog. The family dog. Bryne. And she'd been dead for years.
How long had this creature been watching his family?
"I wanted to see you," said the boy, "because I was afraid you'd forgotten me. So many people do, these days. Because you're all so clever, now. You don't watch out for us, you make it so we don't exist. You tell us you don't believe, and every time you do one of us disappears." He floated closer. Cenric backed away, but came up against the wall. And the creature reached out, touched him with a hand not much larger than a baby's.
And when he reached out to grab the hand, it stayed that size.
And suddenly it was Warraen's hand, the first time he'd ever reached out to Cora and wrapped his little fingers around hers–
He tried to pull himself together.
"Where are they?" he asked, real fear in the pit of his stomach. "How do I make you give them back?"
"You can't," said the boy. The stars in his eyes pierced Cenric like ice.
"They're not yours," said Cenric, in a low voice. "I don't care who you are, who you are to them, they're not yours. You can't have them for yourself."
"She let me in. She gave me a body, a voice. Her brothers' bodies, her voice. These are such precious gifts, Papa."
"Don't call me that–" he cried in despair, but the voice went on, "But you don't want me to be here, to have those gifts. Nobody on this island wants that, anymore. Except the children. You haven't taken them yet. Their minds are still open. And they will believe anything."
And now there were other forms, mixed in with the baby and the kidnapper. A hundred creatures, of all shapes and sizes, some of them innocent and some of them demonic, but all with that painted expression on their face. Like they didn't know how to move their muscles properly.
"So," whispered the boy, "I'll make you a deal, Cenric. You like deals, don't you, you grown-ups? You know where your children are. You know, if you've listened to your children's stories. You'll have to stop being a grown-up, and let yourself believe in us again. And if you can find them, you can have them back. It's a little game. If not, they'll stay with me, and eat pretend food and feel full, and fight pirates and listen to the elephants talk, and will never grow up. It's your choice."
"What do I have to–"
"You already know."
He patted Cenric's cheek again, and Cenric flinched, because that was what Cora used to do when she was all of eleven months old and everyone was happy.
And Girrah-Goorrah was gone.
And the room was empty, but for him. And but for a shadow on the window-frame, outlined in the light of the street-lamps, of a child, watching curiously.
Waiting for him to jump.
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

AndrogynousAutarch

« Reply #384 on: October 27, 2020, 09:47:52 PM »
Quetanto, that was pretty good. Do you know where I can find the rest of this or is this the beginning?
And his name—his

Róisín

« Reply #385 on: October 28, 2020, 03:49:20 AM »
RAIN ON THE ROOF

Close yours eyes and hear it whisper
Slipping down the windowpane.
Stifling air turns colder, crisper.
Listen to the falling rain.

Harder still the rain is beating
Lays the dust and cools the sky.
Now: Hooray, it's started sleeting!
Weather bureau can't tell why.

On the roof the rain like thunder
Hammers on the rattling tin.
Lightning splits the sky asunder
Gaping like some stormgod's grin.

Let us raise a shout together
Cheer the sound that keeps us sane
In our baking desert weather:
On the tin roof hear the rain!

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
« Reply #386 on: October 28, 2020, 06:36:56 PM »
Quetanto, that was pretty good. Do you know where I can find the rest of this or is this the beginning?

Glad you liked it!
Honestly this was all there was of this story up to this point, but I can certainly write more of you’re interested!
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

AndrogynousAutarch

« Reply #387 on: October 29, 2020, 05:25:26 AM »
I also have a wattpad account. I haven't uploaded everything I've written though there:

https://www.wattpad.com/user/KennichiNitta

My top story is Justice Inverted. A story split between the 1940s and the present in my country of the Philippines. It's in english with some easy to translate portions.

Glad you liked it!
Honestly this was all there was of this story up to this point, but I can certainly write more of you’re interested!

oh, don't rush yourself. Do what you want.
And his name—his

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #388 on: October 29, 2020, 04:30:33 PM »
Quetantano, that is fascinating. And scary!

AndrogynousAutarch

« Reply #389 on: October 30, 2020, 04:54:42 AM »
Alexis left the cell, happy in the knowledge that Deybid would be let out soon. “Honestly, I don’t know how they can stomach keeping these people here,” he thought as he walked the featureless smooth white halls to the exit. He thought how easy it could be for every guard to die trapped if a small cave-in took place, collapsing the one exit, yet sparing the air vents, leaving them alive to suffer until they starved. It would be ironic that kind of fate.

Alexis did allow himself such thoughts, yet was claimed by the simple fact that he was thinking as an outsider; these guards had to stay in here all their lives. It was easy to think and a little more difficult to imagine what must be happening here.

He met with the prison’s warden at the steps leading up to the prison’s lone door. The warden, looking worn and stretched thin, stood tall in front of the doorway, making a stern face and expectant of answers as previously agreed.

“I couldn’t get anything out of him, I’m sorry. I think he’s clean.”

“As a psychomancer, is that your professional opinion or is that a mere guess?”

“I would stake my career on what he said, sir. Nothing less than that.”

Stepping out of the pale white light of the prison halls and into the moonlit darkness of the night outside, Alexis turned his head and saw the two guards outside the gate close it shut and stand silently as he walked away.

And his name—his