Author Topic: The Forum's Scriptorium  (Read 88842 times)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: The Forum's Scriptorium
« Reply #285 on: February 04, 2020, 06:51:50 AM »
If anyone would be so kind as to follow this link (et seq), read the content, and fill out the questionnaires (yes, plural--one for each doc you look over), I would be much obliged to you.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:21:25 PM by LooNEY_DAC »

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #286 on: February 04, 2020, 08:15:15 AM »
Looney, I’ve read and thoroughly enjoyed both introductions (and done the questionnaire), but there’s one thing that made me laugh a little that I thought I’d mention here - you obviously have a different accent from me, and thus pronounce ‘dog’ ‘dahg’. I found this amusing. What can I say.

But yeah, it’s really great! I love the historical and linguistic(al?) commentary.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #287 on: February 04, 2020, 06:23:02 PM »
* LooNEY_DAC notes use of singular in "questionnaire"
* LooNEY_DAC goes back to edit prior post for clarification
Thank you!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #288 on: February 09, 2020, 05:01:49 PM »
Thinking about it, I think I should mention that the first few documents are substantially expanded from what I put on AO3 (not that that improves them that much, but still).

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #289 on: March 03, 2020, 07:15:19 AM »
I, uh, I wrote a poem. It's only the first part of a series - I think there will be four or five. Maybe. But here it is, anyway.

sand grains are rough between your fingers.
sitting above the high-tide mark, salt-stiff towel around your shoulders

you pull your knees
to your chest
and wait.

they return with tales of wonder
green fish darting through the seaweed, velvet-black ghosts beneath the rocks
spied through the glass of a snorkel-mask
they drip salt-bitter water onto your towel

you wish you were brave enough to follow
as they run back into the ice-cold water
faces lit by the summer sun
you wish your face could light up like theirs
wish that the churn of the waves
didn't turn your throat
to stone

fear swirls in the purple-dark patches of seaweed
tossing you over and under, salt-water filling your lungs
spluttering and gasping for breath

in your dreams, you fall off the jetty
and sink down
down
through the green-glass water
until you lie on the sand-smooth floor.
there is no point swimming upwards
you were never a good swimmer, anyway

you wake up
you wake up and they bring you back down to the ocean
you sit on the sand, and it is rough between your fingers
you wrap a towel around your shoulders
pull your knees to your chest
and wait

Ruler of Changi Airport

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2020, 08:04:38 AM »
wow, this is beautiful. Your descriptions totally plunge me into the world and emotion of this poem ("fear swirls in the purple-dark patches of seaweed", "wish that the churn of waves didn't turn your throat to stone"). Whether this is based on personal experience or made up, it's very evocative. I can't wait to see more!!
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #291 on: March 03, 2020, 10:06:39 AM »
Wow. Just wow! Is the drowning a thing you have lived? I have experienced near drowning three times, and that is a good description of how it can feel.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #292 on: March 03, 2020, 02:36:37 PM »
I agree with Alkia and Róisín! It’s feels very very real, I also immediately assumed it’s based on personal experience or one that has been told you, repeatedly, by someone close. It’s also beautiful although sad. Well done!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #293 on: March 04, 2020, 06:03:50 AM »
Thank you! Yes, the poem is based off experience - I had a couple of near-drowning experiences as a young child, and it gave me a fear of the ocean (coupled with nightmares about falling into deep water), which was difficult as my family would often go to the beach. I'd be too scared to swim out deep and I'd sit on the sand feeling a mixture of guilt and regret - why can't I just get the guts to go out there? how am I such a coward? it seemed so fun when they talk about it but any fun I might have had out there was swamped by the fear and the intense desire to swim very fast back to shore.

Anyway. I think the poem's going to be part of a series - my personal growth relating to the ocean as a metaphor for my personal growth as a whole? Something like that. It's taken me a lot of time and effort to face my fears regarding the ocean, and I still feel guilt sometimes that I'm not confident enough to go deeper or further. But like... that's okay, and y'know? I've come a long way from being the child sitting on the sand.

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #294 on: March 04, 2020, 11:25:55 PM »
Sounds like a good series. Hope to read it.

And I understand about the near-drowning bit: nothing else feels quite the same. I’ve had three such experiences. First was in my teens, when my dad asked me to help him to teach my new stepsister to swim. My own mother had died when I was a very small child and my brother only two years older, and long afterward dad had married a cousin of my mother who was a war widow with one child, who was younger than we were. She and dad then went on to have  three more of their own. I already knew the stepsister as a cousin, but had never realised that she couldn’t swim.

She was a hefty eight year old. I was small for my age of about fifteen. My job was to stand in the river between her and the deep water, catch her as she swam between us and turn her back to dad, and stop her from going into the deep part of the river. That should have been doable. But she was flailing, reached me, flung her arms around my neck, pushing me back into the deep water, and sank like a rock. If I kept her head above water, given the amount of thrashing going on, I couldn’t hold mine up. Dad rescued us both.

The next time was in your part of the world, off the coast of WA. I was helping a mate who was trying to document and photograph an old wreck there, before it tipped completely over the edge of an underwater cliff and went down too deep to be reached. I’m useless at photography, but fairly good at carrying extra cameras and gear and doing shark watch, so that was what I was doing when a freak wave rolled in, picked us and our gear up as if we weighed nothing, and flung us randomly between rolling along the seafloor and popping up to the surface. Somewhere in the process I blew an eardrum, the one that still gives me trouble nowadays, which added nausea and disorientation to an already unpleasant situation, and again very nearly drowned.

Final time was at a swimming pool in a mining town in outback Queensland. I was standing at the edge of the pool with my toddler son on my shoulders, watching his three big sisters play in the pool with their dad, when one of the local louts thought it would be amusing to grab my ankles and pull me in. My son went flying, and landed in the water where his sisters rescued him, but I hit my head on the lip of the pool as I went down hard, and concussed and bleeding, nearly drowned before I was got out. Oddly enough, that son was the one who grew up to be a mad keen swimmer and surfer.

So yeah, all too familiar with the sensations of drowning.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2020, 03:51:31 AM »
I can definitely see how the freak wave event would happen. A lot of our coastline is pretty rough and rocky, and you always see the signs warning about freak waves, and how they can happen any time. At this point it's ingrained in my brain. For a couple years there was also an ad on tv about rock fishing safety. The danger of our coast was probably another thing that contributed to my fear/apprehension towards the ocean as a child - the ocean was always unpredictable and dangerous. Now I've moved up to the city where the coastline is smoother, the waves are smaller and the water is warmer, it's weird not to have all that potential danger surrounding the ocean.

Also, did you know that in swimming lessons nowadays, they teach people that when they're trying to rescue someone that's thrashing, they should do this weird feet-first kick thing so the person doesn't grab onto them and drag them down? Of course, that knowledge probably wouldn't've helped much in your particular situation, but I can see why they'd want to teach it.

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #296 on: March 05, 2020, 06:02:41 AM »
Teaching that kick is a very good idea!

I was familiar with unexpected waves, having lived part of my childhood on the west coast of Ireland, and done rock fishing there as well as in Victoria and Tasmania, but wasn’t expecting one a mile or so out to sea, especially when I was underwater at the time. I did wonder if it came from a tsunami or an underwater rockslide.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #297 on: March 20, 2020, 09:16:47 PM »
If anyone would be so kind as to follow this link (et seq), read the content, and fill out the questionnaires (yes, plural--one for each doc you look over), I would be much obliged to you.
Reposting for those with unexpected free time on their hands.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #298 on: March 21, 2020, 01:18:02 PM »
Looney_DAC, the questionnaire didn’t open for me, I’m sorry!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #299 on: March 21, 2020, 08:04:50 PM »
Looney_DAC, the questionnaire didn’t open for me, I’m sorry!
OK: I rushed off to my other computer where I'm not logged in, and it looks like GoogleDocs made the process of following links unnecessarily complicated (unless I just messed it up somehow). To follow the links, single click them and click on the blue alt-texty thing that (hopefully) pops up (or copy and paste if you want to be really convoluted).