Author Topic: The Forum's Scriptorium  (Read 88740 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The Forum's Scriptorium
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2016, 02:02:12 AM »
Thanks! Glad you like it. I should put up a bit more poetry, I suppose. Did you guess the answer?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2016, 02:40:14 AM »
Thanks! Glad you like it. I should put up a bit more poetry, I suppose. Did you guess the answer?

Spoiler: show
Yes! The moment I got to the bit about the mountain breaking down to dust I thought "the answer must be time."
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2016, 09:13:34 AM »
Yes, got it!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

BlueSkyVail

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Became too obsessed in too little time.
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2016, 01:17:39 PM »
So I was listening to some really awesome music that I love a lot, and I found myself writing a somewhat rant-y bit of prose about music.

The way the melodies rise and fall, carrying your upon its shimmering waves, and you float through the beautiful images your mind dreams about. As you soar through the rippling scenes, but it’s all something only you can see. And everyone will see something different. The notes tell but one story, but also all the stories imaginable at the same time. The notes rise and the harmony fills in underneath it and the music grows and you inhale to take it all in- while all the wonder of the lyrical music washes over you. A song feels like the ocean. I can imagine reaching out with my fingertips, like you would skim the surface of a pool, and running my hands through the shimmering waters of a song, watching the ripples fan out from my touch and echo back eventually. The waves of sound rise up, filling more and more as it grows and the white water breaks over your head, and it pulls you under and washes you ashore before calmly motioning you back to its endless depths. A song feels like the sky, lifting you up effortlessly on melodic wings. And you can see millions of glowing sunsets and endless blue skies or twist and turn through storms as lightning crashes down beside you. And as the wind whips by, it takes your breath with it because you can’t think to take in another one. Or, you can stop and take in the endless calm or marvel at landscapes spread out around you. A song feels like stepping along the line of a shadow fading into the light. A song feels like balancing on the edge, that feeling of freedom and temptation to just let go. A song is like a reflection off a deep lake, showing you the deepest, most true parts of yourself. A song is a plane ride, watching everything become small and insignificant and fast-forwarding through the distances. A song is a road, worn and aged, that has seen many rainstorms and sunny days, that can take you anywhere as long as you’re willing to travel its path. A song is an adventure, filled with joy and discovery and wonder and breathless fascination. Of new sights and sounds and things you never imagined. A song is you taking a piece of something so much larger than yourself, having a few moments where you are here and there and everywhere else. Suddenly, the song encompasses everything. From your tiny perspective, the world is in tune with the song and you feel like more than just one small human. A song  makes you feel, and it stirs up all the emotions that sit quietly, unnoticed, buried deep within you.

Or when you play music. When you yourself are breathing out the melodies that can carry the minds of others with it. When all that emotion built up by music can be released, expressed. When you lose yourself, you become part of the music, when it seems to carry itself along and pull you along eagerly behind it. When it’s not only music, but a dynamic being. When splashes of color come out and make their way to the foreground or waves of deeper sounds lift up a sparkling melody. It builds a tension in the air, telling a story that doesn’t need words or visuals. It feels like it glows with some sort of quiet energy, it’s something to be marveled at. Playing music feels like being swept up and tumbling through currents that are carrying it. Dancing through the complexity, seeing the inner workings of a song. A feeling of creating something so much larger than yourself. Music transforms. Music inspires.
“Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination.”

Native: :usa:
Pretty okay I guess: :france:
:chap12:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »
So I was listening to some really awesome music that I love a lot, and I found myself writing a somewhat rant-y bit of prose about music.

The way the melodies rise and fall, carrying your upon its shimmering waves, and you float through the beautiful images your mind dreams about. As you soar through the rippling scenes, but it’s all something only you can see. And everyone will see something different. The notes tell but one story, but also all the stories imaginable at the same time. The notes rise and the harmony fills in underneath it and the music grows and you inhale to take it all in- while all the wonder of the lyrical music washes over you. A song feels like the ocean. I can imagine reaching out with my fingertips, like you would skim the surface of a pool, and running my hands through the shimmering waters of a song, watching the ripples fan out from my touch and echo back eventually. The waves of sound rise up, filling more and more as it grows and the white water breaks over your head, and it pulls you under and washes you ashore before calmly motioning you back to its endless depths. A song feels like the sky, lifting you up effortlessly on melodic wings. And you can see millions of glowing sunsets and endless blue skies or twist and turn through storms as lightning crashes down beside you. And as the wind whips by, it takes your breath with it because you can’t think to take in another one. Or, you can stop and take in the endless calm or marvel at landscapes spread out around you. A song feels like stepping along the line of a shadow fading into the light. A song feels like balancing on the edge, that feeling of freedom and temptation to just let go. A song is like a reflection off a deep lake, showing you the deepest, most true parts of yourself. A song is a plane ride, watching everything become small and insignificant and fast-forwarding through the distances. A song is a road, worn and aged, that has seen many rainstorms and sunny days, that can take you anywhere as long as you’re willing to travel its path. A song is an adventure, filled with joy and discovery and wonder and breathless fascination. Of new sights and sounds and things you never imagined. A song is you taking a piece of something so much larger than yourself, having a few moments where you are here and there and everywhere else. Suddenly, the song encompasses everything. From your tiny perspective, the world is in tune with the song and you feel like more than just one small human. A song  makes you feel, and it stirs up all the emotions that sit quietly, unnoticed, buried deep within you.

Or when you play music. When you yourself are breathing out the melodies that can carry the minds of others with it. When all that emotion built up by music can be released, expressed. When you lose yourself, you become part of the music, when it seems to carry itself along and pull you along eagerly behind it. When it’s not only music, but a dynamic being. When splashes of color come out and make their way to the foreground or waves of deeper sounds lift up a sparkling melody. It builds a tension in the air, telling a story that doesn’t need words or visuals. It feels like it glows with some sort of quiet energy, it’s something to be marveled at. Playing music feels like being swept up and tumbling through currents that are carrying it. Dancing through the complexity, seeing the inner workings of a song. A feeling of creating something so much larger than yourself. Music transforms. Music inspires.

Wow, that's beautiful! Very good metaphors! :D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2016, 01:36:51 PM »

This is gorgeous!
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2016, 12:26:39 PM »
And here's my latest dreck.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2016, 02:43:59 PM »
So this isn't quite as dreck-y.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »
LooNEY, you couldn't write dreck if you tried - you have too much innate skill at storytelling!

Please don't take that as a challenge - too much waste of time and talent!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2016, 06:06:09 PM »
The last bit (for Story 10, anyway). On to Story 11!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2016, 02:40:03 AM »
Story 11 begins.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2016, 01:51:13 AM »
Here's the next bit.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2016, 09:46:09 PM »
More here.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #148 on: July 29, 2016, 03:16:03 AM »
LooNEY, I like the fact that not everything in this tale has to be the next step on a pell-mell rush from the beginning of the story to the end. There can be events that may have a bearing in the eventual outcome, or maybe not; in any case, they are significant to the characters, and that's what matters.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #149 on: July 29, 2016, 06:34:02 PM »
And now, some action.