Author Topic: Rock Geeks  (Read 7515 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Rock Geeks
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »
What's in the tumbler this time?  Assorted jasper etc, and a batch of NZ petrified wood 30x40mm cabochons that didn't make the cut to progress to the Nationals last year.  These were put in to accompany a commission for a slice of home-found moss agate from the South Island that was wanted for a wind chime, but I don't have a picture of that.
Spoiler: pretties • show

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:32:53 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 04:32:55 PM »
Pets the pretties, they look so good! Rock tumbling is like magic tbh
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 05:54:36 PM »
I miss having a rock tumbler.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 02:59:21 PM »
Me too, urbicande, although I will say that studying more formations has made me appreciate rocks when they're all craggy and rough.

Since I've been in the midwest, not many exposed rock formations, but I got some good pics of both some quartzite cliffs near Sioux Falls, South Dakota, & also a roadside attraction called the grotto, in Iowa.

I'm torn on the grotto because on one hand, it's pretty cool, but on the other... it's a massive outdoor temple made out of fossilized wood and minerals taken from mexico & south america and something about that just feels weird. I know it was made in the 70s, but still! The thought of so much fossilized wood being displaced makes me a little sad :((

Spoiler: show

<<- only image of the quartzite where I wasn't in it, HA!

aaaaand the grotto, but only a small portion of it.

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2018, 02:10:24 AM »
So I posted about it in the general discussion thread already but I found
Spoiler:  this • show
off in the woods near a site that someone tried to use nukes to frac for oil and gas.

Pretty sure it's silica carbide (no idea how it even got there and it's unlikely it formed there, if anything I'd expect trinitite from that kind of experiment) but the guy at work who went to school to study geology has been on a fire assignment for two weeks now, and hasn't had a chance to take a look at it yet.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2018, 10:16:37 AM »
So I posted about it in the general discussion thread already but I found
Spoiler:  this • show
off in the woods near a site that someone tried to use nukes to frac for oil and gas.

Pretty sure it's silica carbide (no idea how it even got there and it's unlikely it formed there, if anything I'd expect trinitite from that kind of experiment) but the guy at work who went to school to study geology has been on a fire assignment for two weeks now, and hasn't had a chance to take a look at it yet.

Oooh, a mystery! Wish I was there to get my hands on it. You should update us when your coworker gets a look at it!

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2021, 12:18:54 PM »

Oooh, a mystery! Wish I was there to get my hands on it. You should update us when your coworker gets a look at it!

So, to follow up on this, it was silica carbide, but also potentially an artifact, so I had to surrender it to the district archeologist, who then had to surrender it to the Department of Energy due to its tenuous relationship with a nuclear test (I found more of it at other active gas sites so I think it actually came off an oil and gas rig).

Anyway, I'm in a different part of NM now, and I'll post some of the additions to my collection once I'm off work.

All various types of quartz in one way or another. The cube in the back is about 3/4 of a banana wide.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:11:39 PM by Solokov »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2021, 03:40:39 PM »
I can't believe this thread exists, this is awesome :D

I'm very, very slowly starting to get interested in geology (from a physics/math background, no training since freshman year earth science class which was, well, more than a decade ago). The thing that first blew my mind was the Columbia River Gorge on the OR/WA border -- I grew up on the East Coast where glaciation was really slow and uneventful, so visiting my WA family for the first time in 2015 and learning about the busting ice dam and all that rock scouring was completely stunning. It's so cool to hear people talking about Washington State in this thread!

One question, since I'm taking things slowly: does anybody have any recommendations for good resources to help me strengthen my rock identifying skills? I have the Audubon book of rocks and minerals, but it's an old edition and the photos aren't very good. The ID guide is a little better but it would be nice to have a second source. Something better than one of those rock/mineral identifying apps that have no brains in them at all and can't tell basalt from shale (for real).

You guys should come to Acadia National Park. There's this little peninsula, Schoodic, in the upper eastern corner of the park that has these huge pink granite exposures with black basalt fingers in between -- when Pangaea separated and Maine and Europe ripped away from each other, the crust on the coast became deeply fractured and you got these young basalt intrusions. You can even see the contrast between large-grain crystals in the basalt that cooled slowly, and the crystal-less basalt that cooled quickly because it was in contact with the ancient granite. It's so cool. Also there's something called the shatter zone in the Acadia area and I have a rock from that -- pieces of shattered volcanic bedrock embedded in younger plutonic rock:

Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2021, 05:02:06 PM »
Ah, so it's not about music? Allright.
Any paleontologists here?)))
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2021, 07:54:09 PM »
Hey maglor, I meant to reply much earlier, but entirely forgot. Not a paleontologist, but I used to go looking for fossils as a way to get outdoors with a "purpose". I still have some kicking around, although moving between provinces, and from a large house to a small one, encouraged me to trim my collection considerably. We were close to a lot of nice sites around the Bay of Fundy (Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) and on the Northumberland Strait area of Nova Scotia. Here in Newfoundland there are a few interesting spots, but I spent a few years drowning in work and haven't really got back into it.

I mentioned elsewhere that I had some nice rocks, and said that (1) the weather was not conducive to photos and (2) I was busy with other things, so I'd post photos here later... well, (1) the sun came out, and (2) I am a champion procrastinator, so here are some photos, under a spoiler to avoid clutter.

This is a piece of schist (haha) full of finger-tip sized garnets. There's stuff like this all over the area. The coin for scale is a Loonie, 26.5 mm diameter. We hauled this one across the snow for a few hundred metres on an old snow scoop. Some day I must get a kiddy sled and make a simple pulk.

Slightly out of focus closeup of some of the garnets. Darn cellphone camera!

This is the one we picked up today. Limestone beautifully sculped by water. The photo really can't do it justice. Same Loonie for scale.

This might give some idea of its three dimensionality.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

catbirds

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2021, 12:35:44 AM »
Vulpes, wow!! Those are some cool rocks! I like the tiny garnets even if they're not gem-quality. The blood-red (or wine-red?) colour... nice.

The limestone? Ummm... I don't know much about rocks but if it were bigger it'd make for a nice slide. Very climbable. Is it the waves along the beach you got them from that carved the shape out?

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2021, 09:57:01 AM »
Ooh, wow, these rocks are really cool! I'm not a geologist but I find it really interesting to notice how the type of rocks in an area have such big effects on the landscape and the ecology - for example, limestone ridges have a very different shape and ecosystem to granite-based hills, and you can really see how different a coastline made up of sedimentary rock like limestone looks and behaves from a coastline made up of igneous or metamorphous rock - limestone makes the coast all pitted and rough with cliffs and overhangs and weird little coves, whereas with harder, volcanic rock you get smoother curves with headlands jutting out and massive boulders and curving slopes of rock slowly shaped by the sea.

A few cool places with rocks that I've been to:
- Parts of central and northern Vietnam where these tree-covered hills and spires of marble rock jut almost vertically out of the landscape, everything is jagged with all these steep cliffs and sharp valleys and it looks really, really cool.
- The gorges in Karijini national park, Western Australia - all hills and plains of red dirt and spinifex grass right up until the places where it looks like the ground has cracked open. The gorges aren't super massive, not like the grand canyon or anything, but they're pretty impressive - the rock's all striped in different layers, there are waterfalls and pools and all the plants are different with heaps of ferns and trees and plants that need far more coolness and water than you can get up on the surface.
- This one spot on the Murray River near Dwellingup (also in Western Australia) where there's rapids down and through all these granite rocks and the churning water's scooped out smooth, round bowls in the rock - have you ever seen a meteorite, one of the metal ones? It's like that, all pitted but smooth, but on a larger scale. And also with a river. In some places the river's carved out paths under and through the rock, it's really cool.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2021, 04:53:16 PM »
Vulpes, wow!! Those are some cool rocks! I like the tiny garnets even if they're not gem-quality. The blood-red (or wine-red?) colour... nice.

The limestone? Ummm... I don't know much about rocks but if it were bigger it'd make for a nice slide. Very climbable. Is it the waves along the beach you got them from that carved the shape out?

The photo doesn't really do the garnet rock justice - the schist itself is quite shiny, and then there are the dark red garnets catching a little light... really beautiful.

I'm assuming the limestone was carved long ago, probably during catastrophic flooding as the last glaciation ended, 10,000 years ago or so. The wave action on the beach is barely enough to round small pebbles. But yeah, it would definitely be fun to clamber on were it of the right scale!

Ooh, wow, these rocks are really cool! I'm not a geologist but I find it really interesting to notice how the type of rocks in an area have such big effects on the landscape and the ecology - for example, limestone ridges have a very different shape and ecosystem to granite-based hills, and you can really see how different a coastline made up of sedimentary rock like limestone looks and behaves from a coastline made up of igneous or metamorphous rock - limestone makes the coast all pitted and rough with cliffs and overhangs and weird little coves, whereas with harder, volcanic rock you get smoother curves with headlands jutting out and massive boulders and curving slopes of rock slowly shaped by the sea.

This area is great for seeing a variety of geology. There are some amazing limestone barrens that have really rare plants, and huge outcrops of ancient seafloor that is so high in magnesium that most plants can't grow there. It looks like the surface of Mars! Also karst topography, with sinkholes and caves, and some crazy sculpted seashores.

Another excess of photos spoilered below:

This is Winterhouse Brook in the Tablelands in Gros Morne Provincial Park:

A closeup of the rock.

Some really surprising plants can survive there, including a disjunct population of maidenhair fern (Adiantum aleuticum, otherwise found in western North America), which I've always thought of as fragile and delicate... but here this was, growing out of chunks of serpentine. This was taken in mid-October so it had died back for the winter.

It's such a beautiful fern, here's some alive - this a less-famous outcrop of the same ultramafic ancient seafloor closer to where I live.

Here's a geology-nerd friend on a neat outcrop along the shore.

There are fossils there as well - not the best photo, but you get the idea.

Okay I think that's enough of a photo dump for now...  :'D

Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2021, 11:05:17 AM »
Keep Looking: you might also like The Breakaways in South Australia. The first time I went there the directions were: drive to Coober Pedy. Go north. At the 14 mile post north of Coober Pedy turn right into the desert. (Yes, long enough ago that Australia hadn’t gone metric and miles were still a thing). Drive straight ahead until you come to an old washing machine dumped as a marker in the middle of the plain. Turn right. Keep driving until you reach The Breakaways. Don’t drive over the edge.

With those directions I found it. Incredible. Decades later, returning from a desert expedition, I showed the place to an English geologist friend who had been on the same job as I had. He stood on the cliffs for half an hour, staring, and then said: “It looks as if somebody pulled the plug on an ocean!” Which is pretty much what it is, complete with seacaves, rock stacks, offshore islands and limestone cliffs.

Nowadays there is an actual road going to it, interpretative signage, the whole deal, but the place is still amazing.

Also you might like the gullies in the Range behind Giles Weather Station (which is the most isolated settlement in Australia and one of my favourite places in the entire world)! Those gullies... I know a fair bit about the area both from my own experiences there and because a friend used to spend half the year as the cook at the weather station, and the other half of the year as the cook at Mawson Antarctic base. For a natural hermit whose serious hobby was map-making both of those were perfect jobs. I used his maps sometimes. If there were ever to be a dinosaur found in Australia I would bet on those gullies as a place to find it. There are other amazing places for rocks, but I think those are the two you might like best.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2021, 07:07:34 PM »
This is a piece of schist (haha) full of finger-tip sized garnets.

Heheheheh

Thanks for your lovely rock photodumps and regional info. I love that we have a shared glacier in our home histories.

I would like to request that more people share rock photos. I think the original thread creator wanted that too. Show me your landscapes and boulders, please please, while we're all still more or less stuck at home! I want to see what the rest of this lovely planet looks like!

(How did you get a geology geek friend, Vulpes? I really want one of those. Is there a catalog?)
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi: