Poll

What do you think the state of things is beyond Scandinavia?

More of the Silent World: Trolls, beasts and giants everywhere
7 (16.7%)
A few groups of humans, but mostly wilderness
14 (33.3%)
USA and other superpowers are relatively intact
0 (0%)
Scorched Earth: nothing, not even grosslings, is alive
0 (0%)
Plenty of places like Scandinavia, but isolated
21 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 03, 2015, 03:28:37 PM

Author Topic: Survivor communities outside the known world  (Read 230026 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Survivor communities outside the known world
« Reply #1200 on: October 31, 2019, 03:16:09 PM »
I think you'd have a lot of survivor communities in the middle east, especially the southern and western parts of the Arab Peninsula and in Iran. Those areas are hot, dry, and mountainous. Lots of linguistic continuity in the two regions (not between them) and plenty of ability to isolate themselves through natural barriers.

bbbbut BEAST CAMELS 
No, Just joking, I think there may be some pockets, certainly.  Long-term they couldn't survive without trade, and the nomadic lifestyle of the traders could be so easily wiped out with just one exposure to Rash somewhere in the clan or their herds.  (I'm one of the writers Róisín mentioned, and the settlements I envisioned were very heavily dependent on magic, as well as engineering and a mostly vegetarian lifestyle.)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

IntensiTea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #1201 on: November 19, 2019, 06:07:10 PM »
Personally, my priorities on survivor communities are less based on logistics and more based on what gives me fun ideas to play around with. While my opinion is... probably not ideal for this thread, I do feel validated by Word of Minna:
You know those movies where the hero is driving a car and suddenly crashes into a bomb and the car makes a somersault in the air and then lands on a helicopter and the hero chases down the bad guys with the helicopter-car? The physics in this comic are sometimes a little like that, except no somersault (and no bomb, car or helicopter).
Source: Adventure I, page 163
My humblest apologies for my American-ness.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1202 on: November 19, 2019, 10:00:06 PM »
Personally, my priorities on survivor communities are less based on logistics and more based on what gives me fun ideas to play around with. While my opinion is... probably not ideal for this thread, I do feel validated by Word of Minna:Source: Adventure I, page 163

hahahaha ...except that the current story features a car, but never mind!  Good stuff.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #1203 on: April 05, 2020, 10:21:11 PM »
Pulling a bit of thread necromancy here, but saw some pics of Mont-Saint-Michel in France on Twitter today and can't help thinking what an awesome place it would be to hold out against the rash in - particularly now that they've removed the causeway to allow all the accumulated silt to wash away and make it into a real island again.

Of course food would run out in no time...
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1204 on: April 05, 2020, 11:12:15 PM »
Food never runs out entirely while the sea is around them. And in that picture I see lots of areas where one  could put in a few potatoes or onions well mulched with seaweed, or plant a few boxes of lettuce, radishes, cabbage or suchlike. Might be both safer than the mainland, and if I remember correctly it was a Pagan holy place for even longer than it has been a Christian one. That might help, and Michael was supposed to be one of the protecting saints..... it is good that the causeway has been removed.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #1205 on: April 06, 2020, 12:00:53 AM »
Food never runs out entirely while the sea is around them. And in that picture I see lots of areas where one  could put in a few potatoes or onions well mulched with seaweed, or plant a few boxes of lettuce, radishes, cabbage or suchlike. Might be both safer than the mainland, and if I remember correctly it was a Pagan holy place for even longer than it has been a Christian one. That might help, and Michael was supposed to be one of the protecting saints..... it is good that the causeway has been removed.

Those are all excellent points. Maybe it's more viable than I thought!

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #1206 on: April 06, 2020, 05:50:49 AM »
Those are all excellent points. Maybe it's more viable than I thought!

I love the idea. (I still didn't manage to visit that place, but I will). I think it's quite viable. If a small island in Saimaa is viable, why not here?

Also, it depends on the population. They could even concentrate on the higher houses and demolish most buildings near the wall, creating a green ring for farming and protection.

Humm, I may write (or draw) something about that...
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

GaelleDragons

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Small lurking troll
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #1207 on: April 06, 2020, 06:09:25 AM »
Pulling a bit of thread necromancy here, but saw some pics of Mont-Saint-Michel in France on Twitter today and can't help thinking what an awesome place it would be to hold out against the rash in - particularly now that they've removed the causeway to allow all the accumulated silt to wash away and make it into a real island again.

Of course food would run out in no time...

I love the idea, though maybe it wouldn't be as impregnable as it seems. The Mont Saint-Michel is surrounded by water when the tide is high, but you can easily access it by walking on the sand when it's low tide. There *are* dangerous areas with quicksand, but nothing a big troll or giant couldn't escape. Also there are a lot of people living close to the shore in this area, so lots of trollified menaces are to be expected.

On the other hand, the walls are high enough to protect the population for a good while, so it would probably still be a pretty safe place. I'll believe so anyway, I really want a few Bretons and Normands to have survived the Rash!
*always scribbling*

Native: :fr:  Fluent (but will make mistakes sometimes ^^"):  :gb:  Supposed to be fluent but is actually really bad:  :es:  Learning out of curiosity:  :is:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #1208 on: April 06, 2020, 06:16:46 AM »
I love the idea, though maybe it wouldn't be as impregnable as it seems. The Mont Saint-Michel is surrounded by water when the tide is high, but you can easily access it by walking on the sand when it's low tide. There *are* dangerous areas with quicksand, but nothing a big troll or giant couldn't escape. Also there are a lot of people living close to the shore in this area, so lots of trollified menaces are to be expected.

On the other hand, the walls are high enough to protect the population for a good while, so it would probably still be a pretty safe place. I'll believe so anyway, I really want a few Bretons and Normands to have survived the Rash!

"The year is 90. France is entirely occupied by trolls. Well, not entirely... A small island of indomitable Bretons and Normands still holds out against the infected."
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

GaelleDragons

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Small lurking troll
« Reply #1209 on: April 06, 2020, 06:22:16 AM »
"The year is 90. France is entirely occupied by trolls. Well, not entirely... A small island of indomitable Bretons and Normands still holds out against the infected."
Well we have our SSSS/Asterix crossover! XD
*always scribbling*

Native: :fr:  Fluent (but will make mistakes sometimes ^^"):  :gb:  Supposed to be fluent but is actually really bad:  :es:  Learning out of curiosity:  :is:

Kyara

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Kyara (Disqus), Sinnena (Tumblr) Ysmeril (Twitch)
« Reply #1210 on: April 06, 2020, 07:18:47 AM »
God, I was living for this ! Maybe Breton and Norman would have finally arrived at some kind of armistice and they would have lived in peace at Mont Saint-Michel (such a beautiful fiction)

It is possible that some Vauban constructions could have been reused too! They are real strongholds, very well thought out. If they could be reset properly, there are few blind spots and many protective walls. The only concern is that they are usually in big cities, with probably a lot of trolls ....

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #1211 on: April 06, 2020, 07:34:18 AM »
I love the idea, though maybe it wouldn't be as impregnable as it seems. The Mont Saint-Michel is surrounded by water when the tide is high, but you can easily access it by walking on the sand when it's low tide. There *are* dangerous areas with quicksand, but nothing a big troll or giant couldn't escape.

My understanding is that it used to be surrounded by fairly deep water but the bay silted up after the causeway was raised in 1879. The causeway has now been removed and replaced with a bridge (which could be pretty easily demolished) in an attempt to wash all the sand out and restore the bay - by year 90 it could be quite deep again!

Also, it depends on the population. They could even concentrate on the higher houses and demolish most buildings near the wall, creating a green ring for farming and protection.

The north side of the island is also pretty undeveloped. It looks to be mostly rocky cliffs, but with determination (and desperation!) I'm sure bits of it could be flattened out.

Oh hell yes! ;D

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #1212 on: April 06, 2020, 08:46:30 AM »

And after all this conversation, and Wyrm "hell yes", here is an inspiring picture...

(click on the image to see a bigger version)

It seems that they did manage to survive quite well :)

Edit: forgot to add guns to the wall... maybe later...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 09:01:49 AM by thegreyarea »

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #1213 on: April 06, 2020, 10:23:13 AM »
And after all this conversation, and Wyrm "hell yes", here is an inspiring picture...

XoX XoX XoX

That's amazing! :D

EDIT: Oh, and we should not be surprised that there are survivors in Normandy, when you consider their flag;D

* One of them
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:33:47 AM by Purple Wyrm »

GaelleDragons

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Small lurking troll
« Reply #1214 on: April 06, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »

That's truly awesome!! Definetely a new headcannon for me x)

God, I was living for this ! Maybe Breton and Norman would have finally arrived at some kind of armistice and they would have lived in peace at Mont Saint-Michel (such a beautiful fiction)
Yes, *fiction*. Even in year 90, there would still be quarrels to know which region Mont Saint-Michel belongs to.
*draws sword* Peace was never an option.

also the flag of Bretagne is way cooler than the Normand flag, just sayin' c:
*always scribbling*