Author Topic: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play  (Read 46885 times)

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Person by day, asleep by night.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/that idiot/ Anything else you feel like using
Re: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play
« Reply #330 on: January 09, 2021, 08:20:31 PM »
"Oh. Ah, hello, nice to meet you! So you´re a British mage? Scottish mage? That´s so cool, I´ve never worked with... well anyone who wasn´t an Icelandic mage before." Stop rambling, be professional. "I mean... Awesome that you let me contact you. How do I find you in the Dreamspace?"

The red-haired woman looks at the Icelander with her blue-grey eyes, then stops, beginning smootly and warmly, but hampered a little by the language   :is: "Sara Douglas, the mage of Oliver's squad and his sister-in-law. Sort of." extending her hand to shake with a small dignified laugh, calmly steering the conversation back to a normal structure whilst still thinking that Oliver and James shared no parents, but both sets of grandparents, due to the two Harwood brothers each marrying one of the andersen sisters, and she and James weren't getting married until Oliver got back, but even Sara could realise that such information was unecessary for someone you met less than a minute ago to have a proffesional conversation with.

:is: "We tend to think of ourselves as celtic, we share our gods with the Irish and Welsh, alhough the English have their own gods similar to yours but with different names and importance for each of the gods. We're a little like the finns in that we cannot simply cross the water between the islands, but we have our own methods of navigating the otherworld, by anchoring in the waking world." She reaches into a belt pouch and takes out a disk of granite that fits comfotably in her palm, it's surface carved with a spreading oak tree and a stylised knotted rope pattern around the edge. She holds it out in her upturned right palm, saying  :is: "Place your dominant hand on it, grip it lightly, and try to clear your mind then imagine how your dreamscape normally looks."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 04:36:11 PM by R.M.S.N.P »
:gb:-Native speaker
:fr:-conversational (once upon a time (2 years ago))
:fi:-basics
old english (wessex)-some
:ru:-can swear

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
« Reply #331 on: January 10, 2021, 02:56:15 AM »
:dk: "It will make things harder for my research but fair, security comes first when dealing with thre rash" - says Alergo - "That said, how many of the crew are immune and how many are not?"

:no: "I am the only one who's not immune" she says. "Uh, nobody will stop you from doing research and writing it down. Just don't bring anything onboard and take care to keep everything clean."

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #332 on: January 10, 2021, 08:41:25 AM »

The red-haired woman looks at the Icelander with her blue-grey eyes, then stops, beginning smootly and warmly, but hampered a little by the language   :is: "Sara Douglas, the mage of Oliver's squad and his sister-in-law. Sort of." extending her hand to shake with a small dignified laugh, calmly steering the conversation back to a normal structure whilst still thinking that Oliver and James shared no parents, but both sets of grandparents, due to the two Harwood brothers each marrying one of the andersen sisters, and she and James weren't getting married until Oliver got back, but even Sara could realise that such information was unecessary for someone you met less than a minute ago to have a proffesional conversation with.

":is: Dísa Ánnsdóttir, mage of this expedition. Well, you know that already." Dísa laughs a bit nervously. Sara seems nice though, and a lot more reasonable than her sort-of-brother-in-law.

:is: "We tend to think of ourselves as celtic, we share our gods with the Irish and Welsh, alhough the English have their own gods similar to yours but with different names and importance for each of the gods. We're a little like the finns in that we cannot simply cross the water between the islands, but we have our own methods of navigating the otherworld, by anchoring in the waking world." She reaches into a belt pouch and takes out a disk of granite that fits comfotably in her palm, it's surface carved with a spreading oak tree and a stylised knotted rope around the edge. She holds it out in her upturned right palm, saying  :is: "Place your dominant hand on it, grip it lightly, and try to clear your mind then imagine how your dreamscape normally looks."

While listening, Dísa tries to not get overly interested in the Celtic magic-system. At Seiður-academy the teachers mentioned that there were different kinds of mages in Finland and Great Britain in one subclause and left it at that. She still knows a bit more about Finnish mages, since some of the people working at her family´s company used to be soldiers and worked with some of them before. They told stories when she asked. But she has no idea how Celtic mages work.
Being way too curious about all kinds of religions is also what made her sign up for university. But this is no mythology-lecture, just basic information on contacting a mage, remember that? Don´t shower her with questions!

She nods as Sara shows her the stone. It looks beautiful. Icelandic mages don´t use artifacts like this. The Celtic mage has mentioned something about anchoring, maybe that is what it´s for. She puts her left hand on it. "I hope you don´t mind climbing...", she adds after a bit of thinking.

Dísa closes her eyes to imagine a clear picture of her Dreamspace. A small bit of rocky coastline, cracked reddish-brown boulders towering about five meters high next to the water. At the bottom the stones have been smoothed by the tides, further up they have more rough edges, and flowers grow within some of the cracks. The water isn´t deep, but there is no solid ground. Smaller round stones overgrown with slippery green and brown seaweed are covering the bottom of the sea. The Seaweed also grows on some of the rocks that aren´t fully covered in water. It is still wet, as if the tide just went away, but Dísa knows that the water level never changes. This place is just a picture of a moment. It´s enough though to make climbing the rocks unnecessarily difficult, at least according to her cousin Vala. She´s also the reason why Dísa knows it is salt-water, apart from the smell. Vala fell in a couple of times when trying to climb the cliff. Her feet would have kept her over water, the rest of her body on the other hand... But it´s actually not that hard to get up the rocks, at least when you know where to step and where not to. Just to be safe, Dísa imagines all the points to hold onto as vividly as possible. A bit under the highest point of the boulder-tower is something like a plateau, grinded down by wind and water to an almost perfect flat surface. (Though there is never more than a soft breeze in that place either.) On it is something that is best described as some kind of bird-nest, but bigger. It is a construction made from twigs up to full grown branches as well as clearly man-made planks, big enough for a small adult human to lie in with your feet only a bit over its edge. An animal-fur is draped over half of it to soften the wood. from two sides it is protected by rocks rising about a meter higher. This is the place where Dísa usually wakes up, looking upwards to the slightly cloudy sky.

She opens her eyes a bit again, trying not to loose the picture. "And now?", she asks.

Spoiler: show

You can imagine the landscape in Dísa´s dreamspace to look a little like this, but with higher rocks: (Though this picture was admittedly taken in Sweden and not Iceland. But some of the pictures google gave me of Iceland were similar, so let´s just say it counts.)

supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #333 on: January 10, 2021, 06:32:55 PM »
" :is: Dísa Ánnsdóttir, mage of this expedition. Well, you know that already." Dísa laughs a bit nervously. Sara seems nice though, and a lot more reasonable than her sort-of-brother-in-law.

While listening, Dísa tries to not get overly interested in the Celtic magic-system. At Seiður-academy the teachers mentioned that there were different kinds of mages in Finland and Great Britain in one subclause and left it at that. She still knows a bit more about Finnish mages, since some of the people working at her family´s company used to be soldiers and worked with some of them before. They told stories when she asked. But she has no idea how Celtic mages work.
Being way too curious about all kinds of religions is also what made her sign up for university. But this is no mythology-lecture, just basic information on contacting a mage, remember that? Don´t shower her with questions!

She nods as Sara shows her the stone. It looks beautiful. Icelandic mages don´t use artifacts like this. The Celtic mage has mentioned something about anchoring, maybe that is what it´s for. She puts her left hand on it. "I hope you don´t mind climbing...", she adds after a bit of thinking.

Dísa closes her eyes to imagine a clear picture of her Dreamspace. A small bit of rocky coastline, cracked reddish-brown boulders towering about five meters high next to the water. At the bottom the stones have been smoothed by the tides, further up they have more rough edges, and flowers grow within some of the cracks. The water isn´t deep, but there is no solid ground. Smaller round stones overgrown with slippery green and brown seaweed are covering the bottom of the sea. The Seaweed also grows on some of the rocks that aren´t fully covered in water. It is still wet, as if the tide just went away, but Dísa knows that the water level never changes. This place is just a picture of a moment. It´s enough though to make climbing the rocks unnecessarily difficult, at least according to her cousin Vala. She´s also the reason why Dísa knows it is salt-water, apart from the smell. Vala fell in a couple of times when trying to climb the cliff. Her feet would have kept her over water, the rest of her body on the other hand... But it´s actually not that hard to get up the rocks, at least when you know where to step and where not to. Just to be safe, Dísa imagines all the points to hold onto as vividly as possible. A bit under the highest point of the boulder-tower is something like a plateau, grinded down by wind and water to an almost perfect flat surface. (Though there is never more than a soft breeze in that place either.) On it is something that is best described as some kind of bird-nest, but bigger. It is a construction made from twigs up to full grown branches as well as clearly man-made planks, big enough for a small adult human to lie in with your feet only a bit over its edge. An animal-fur is draped over half of it to soften the wood. from two sides it is protected by rocks rising about a meter higher. This is the place where Dísa usually wakes up, looking upwards to the slightly cloudy sky.

She opens her eyes a bit again, trying not to loose the picture. "And now?", she asks.

You can imagine the landscape in Dísa´s dreamspace to look a little like this, but with higher rocks: (Though this picture was admittedly taken in Sweden and not Iceland. But some of the pictures google gave me of Iceland were similar, so let´s just say it counts.)

Sara looks around the dreamspace, then back at Disa. She turns the stone over in her hand to show the previously smooth reverse side, which is now carved with a stylised image of the nest atop the rocks and the sea around it, once again circled with a pattern resembling plaited rope. She moves it to have it's edge face upward, then runs her right index finger along the edge as she says  :sct: "Manannán mac lir, thoir am boireannach seo thairis air do chuantan nuair a dh'fheumas i tighinn thugam, agus mise thuice". The disc splits in half, and she gives Disa the half with the oak tree on it, before placing the other half back in the pouch she originally had the disc in.  :is: "When the time comes, focus on the image, then imagine me, and it should pull you to my dreamscape"

The spell means "Manannán, son of Lir, bring this woman across your seas when she must come to me, and I to her". Very roughly though, as I know very little scots gaelic.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 06:35:15 PM by R.M.S.N.P »

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #334 on: January 11, 2021, 08:41:02 AM »

Sara looks around the dreamspace, then back at Disa. She turns the stone over in her hand to show the previously smooth reverse side, which is now carved with a stylised image of the nest atop the rocks and the sea around it, once again circled with a pattern resembling plaited rope. She moves it to have it's edge face upward, then runs her right index finger along the edge as she says  :sct: "Manannán mac lir, thoir am boireannach seo thairis air do chuantan nuair a dh'fheumas i tighinn thugam, agus mise thuice". The disc splits in half, and she gives Disa the half with the oak tree on it, before placing the other half back in the pouch she originally had the disc in.  :is: "When the time comes, focus on the image, then imagine me, and it should pull you to my dreamscape"

The spell means "Manannán, son of Lir, bring this woman across your seas when she must come to me, and I to her". Very roughly though, as I know very little scots gaelic.

"Woah!" is all Dísa gets out when the stone suddenly shows her dreamspace and splits. She carefully holds the half Sara gave her in her hands looking at it like it is a miracle. (Well, it is magic, so...)

"You have to explain to me how exactly this works at some point." she tells Sara. Wait, what happened to controlling your curiosity? Too late...

doorcf

« Reply #335 on: January 11, 2021, 12:29:10 PM »
:no: "I am the only one who's not immune" she says. "Uh, nobody will stop you from doing research and writing it down. Just don't bring anything onboard and take care to keep everything clean."
:dk: "No problem" - says Alergo while shrigging - "Still, good to know. Also any problems with heavy weapons and explosives? I mean, I can bring a small arsenal in case we get into a big fight, I will take heavy precautions so the weapons aren't a danger but still."

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #336 on: January 11, 2021, 07:57:18 PM »
"Woah!" is all Dísa gets out when the stone suddenly shows her dreamspace and splits. She carefully holds the half Sara gave her in her hands looking at it like it is a miracle. (Well, it is magic, so...)

"You have to explain to me how exactly this works at some point." she tells Sara. Wait, what happened to controlling your curiosity? Too late...

:is: "Maybe when you're struggling to sleep, you can pull me here to explain it" she smiles as she says it, but still seems to mean it.

:is: "Either way, it's time to return to land of the awake, given we're not completely asleep. And I'm sure you've still got some work to do in preparing the ship. But please, make sure you bring Oliver back alive. He may be an arsehole when you first meet him, but he'll never fail to help when things get serious, and if me and james pass on, our child will need some family in the strange and deadly world of the British isles. But enough of such grimness, we'll face our deaths when they come and not waste our days worrying about them." She gives a small determined smile, then begins to return to wakingness, gesturing for Disa to do the same. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:36:19 AM by R.M.S.N.P »

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #337 on: January 11, 2021, 10:55:35 PM »
Harald walks out of the forge, takes a look around, and goes to his cabin. He fits in it in much the same way a gorilla fits in a broom closet, but he doesn't seem all that uncomfortable.
He sits on the cot, roots through his bag, and comes up with a thick leatherbound book and a brass clock. He winds the clock up, then  begins scribbling away in the book with a pencil. He seems to be drawing something. His lips move silently as he works.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #338 on: January 12, 2021, 11:25:14 AM »

:is: "Maybe when you're struggling to sleep, you can pull me here to explain it" she smiles as she says it, but still seems to mean it.

:is: "Either way, it's time to return to land of the awake, given we're not completely asleep. And I'm sure you've still got some work to do in preparing the ship. But please, make sure you bring Oliver back alive. He may be an arsehole when you first meet him, but he'll never fail to help when things get serious, and if me and james pass on, our child will need some family in the strange and deadly world of the British isles. But enough of such grimness, we'll face our deaths when they come and not waste our days worrying about them." She gives a small determined smile, then begins to return to wakingness, gesturing for Disa to do the same.

Dísa smiles as well. ":is: I might do that, thank you! And I´ll do my best." Oliver may be annoying, but he´s part of her first crew, and she will do everything she can to protect all of them.

When Sara starts returning to the real world Dísa finally notices that they are actually standing on a rock in her dreamspace. This realization (plus blinking a few times) catapults her back into being awake out of surprise. The half rock is still in her hands. She carefully puts it in a pocket of her jacket. She´ll have to find a better place for it later.

"But you´re right, I do still have some things I need to prepare on the ship." Like finding a flashlight for reading... And drawing runes, yes, that too. She looks expectant at Leif, whether he still wants to say something.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #339 on: January 12, 2021, 05:20:58 PM »
Astrid woke up with a start. She hadn't meant to fall asleep! What time was it? She hadn't taken a clock of any kind. Realizing that that was something she should probably equip herself with, she stood up and exited her cabin, hoping that she had enough time to find one.

It shouldn't take Astrid too long to find a clock of some kind, I just wanted to add that to her supplies :P

Doc is in the hallway himself, carrying several boxes of medical supplies to his room, which will serve as infirmary if need be- at the sight of someone coming, he panics, nearly dropping them before saving it at the last second. He looks ruffled, but overall energetic. His sweater has the sleeves pushed up to the elbows, and he has an inkstain on his cheek. :is: "Oh!"

He pauses. :is: "...Hello? Are you... have we met?" He's very bad with faces. Has he already forgotten one of the crew? Doc, come on! Get better at this!

as another person emerging from hibernation, hope you don't mind that I have Doc running into Astrid ^^

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 06:49:56 PM by amaranthineamusement »
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
« Reply #340 on: January 12, 2021, 06:54:33 PM »
:dk: "No problem" - says Alergo while shrugging - "Still, good to know. Also any problems with heavy weapons and explosives? I mean, I can bring a small arsenal in case we get into a big fight, I will take heavy precautions so the weapons aren't a danger but still."

:no: "...as long as you handle them safely and don't set them off in dangerous areas... I don't see what could go wrong" she says. "If anything, a professional with proper tools can only help. Right?"

Harald walks out of the forge, takes a look around, and goes to his cabin. He fits in it in much the same way a gorilla fits in a broom closet, but he doesn't seem all that uncomfortable.
He sits on the cot, roots through his bag, and comes up with a thick leatherbound book and a brass clock. He winds the clock up, then  begins scribbling away in the book with a pencil. He seems to be drawing something. His lips move silently as he works.

Leif goes to Harald's cabin with a few papers he grabbed and folded into his pocket before, and hands him a pen. :no: "Sign" he says. It clearly the only word he knows of Norwegian and he pronounces it poorly, too. The papers are nothing special, just a contract before they head out. Everybody signed it before.

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #341 on: January 12, 2021, 08:12:15 PM »
:no: "...as long as you handle them safely and don't set them off in dangerous areas... I don't see what could go wrong" she says. "If anything, a professional with proper tools can only help. Right?"

Leif goes to Harald's cabin with a few papers he grabbed and folded into his pocket before, and hands him a pen. :no: "Sign" he says. It clearly the only word he knows of Norwegian and he pronounces it poorly, too. The papers are nothing special, just a contract before they head out. Everybody signed it before.

Harald looks up from the book, takes the papers, signs them, and hands them back before immediately returning to his drawing.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #342 on: January 13, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »

Apparently Dísa had been zoned out so much she didn´t even notice Leif has already left. Ok... How to get out of that awkward situation now? She looks back at Sara.

"Well then... I´ll need to go to the storage room now. Thank you again for everything, and, well, goodbye, until we see each other again."

She nods at the others accompanying Sara, even Oliver, though he will come on the mission and there is no real point in saying goodbye to him, and passes them to go back to said room.

Arriving there she starts searching. Quickly she finds a crate labled with ":is: emergency lighting". Half of it is filled with with candles (Of a quite peculiar brand. They have a cat circled by hearts on them.), the other half with gas- and flashlights, as well as the necessary supplies to get them working again once their respective fuel is empty. A lot of the flashlights are of the "will-destroy-your-sight-when-looking-even-somewhat-in-their-direction"-variety, probably in case there is fog or something, but some of the regular kind are there as well. She sneaks one of it plus an extra-set of batteries and returns to her cabin, again taking a detour to check whether Astrid has returned by now.

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #343 on: January 13, 2021, 01:57:12 PM »
@Lallicat Astrid can probably hear the ticking of Herman's clock. Just a heads-up.

As Astrid started walking down the corridor, she heard a curious ticking sound coming from the forge. She starts walking towards it to investigate, but bumps into another crewmember on the way there.
Doc is in the hallway himself, carrying several boxes of medical supplies to his room, which will serve as infirmary if need be- at the sight of someone coming, he panics, nearly dropping them before saving it at the last second. He looks ruffled, but overall energetic. His sweater has the sleeves pushed up to the elbows, and he has an inkstain on his cheek. :is: "Oh!"

He pauses. :is: "...Hello? Are you... have we met?" He's very bad with faces. Has he already forgotten one of the crew? Doc, come on! Get better at this!

She waves awkwardly. :is: "I think I saw you in the office, but I don't think we've met officially. I'm Astrid, the engineer."
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #344 on: January 14, 2021, 11:19:12 AM »
As Astrid started walking down the corridor, she heard a curious ticking sound coming from the forge. She starts walking towards it to investigate, but bumps into another crewmember on the way there.
She waves awkwardly. :is: "I think I saw you in the office, but I don't think we've met officially. I'm Astrid, the engineer."

:is: "..I see." Doc shuffles to the side, trying to give her space to pass by. It's very clumsy- he drops one box, but kicks it to the side. Medical instruments clank loudly. "Ah, I'm Ludvig. Ludvig Nyman. The Medic. A pleasure, I'm sure."

"I hope you've been adjusting well to the ship? Feeling well?" Had she missed lunch because she felt sick? That would be very bad.
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man