Author Topic: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play  (Read 46892 times)

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
Re: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play
« Reply #180 on: December 18, 2020, 07:26:13 PM »
Leif gets the papers he needs to a copier and he gets his copies made, but both him and the store owner realize he can't pay since he gave his wallet to Dísa. It's not a problem at all, however, and they quickly and easily come to an agreement. The man will keep all his stuff for a few minutes until he gets his wallet. Simple solutions to simple problems.
Now to find the girl. Last he saw her, she was heading for the paint store. Odds are good she got the paint and carried it to the ship by now, so he heads to the docks.

On the side of the docks, a few fisherman selling their wares are in an argument with Doc, who has spent his time heading into the city and buying a few more medical supplies. He was short on disinfectant.

:is: "This is clearly Turbot, not Halibut," says Doc, pointing to the underside of the fresh fish, which is being prepped for market- it's pre-cut into fillets. "It's greyish!"

The fisherman looks like he's about two seconds from strangling Doc. "It's halibut! I caught it myself! Leave already!"

"You shouldn't be charging more for Halibut if it's not the right fish. You didn't keep the head, the eyes would make it obvious." Doc is puffed up with indignation.

"I risk my life to get this fish! And what do I get! Ungrateful customers!" The fisherman gestures with the tail of the fish. It flops with a wet sound. "I had to harpoon a sea beast to get back with these."

Leif tiredly rubs his eyes and turns on his heel, heading for one of the offices for docks authorities. He leans on the counter and flashes a fabulous, confident smile to the receptionist.
:is: "Hey, handsome. Is Tryggvi in? Tryggvi Jensson?"
Receptionist stares at him for a second. "Uh, yes. I think he was about to go on a lunch break..."
"Get him here, say it's Leif. I need him real quick."
"Sure," he says. He gets up and goes to the back, to the offices where unemployed people weren't allowed in. He returns a few moments later with a large man, who smiles at him in greeting and disapproval. "Leif! Why're you in the office?"
"Need you for a second. Seems there's a need for a small inspection on the docks."
Tryggvi's face turns serious immediately. "What is it?"
"Somebody is selling wrong fish, according to my man. Who knows what else they've got in store, you know."
"Your man?" he asks, crossing his arms.
"Yes. Marine biologist from Sweden."
That makes him pause for a second. And think. Of course he heard of the expedition, it's all the dock people were talking about. Clearly he didn't expect Leif to hire a marine biologist, of all people, but it is what it is. Leif patiently waited while he was considering things.
"Alright. Anna! Bjarni! Break's postponed!" he shouts in the back.
Leif considers wiping the wide smug grin off his face, but that would be no fun. No fun at all.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 08:01:23 PM by Kitty »

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #181 on: December 18, 2020, 08:38:53 PM »
Leo leaves the clothing shop with a considerably fuller pack than before and begins his march back to the docks. He had added an extra set of work clothes, some weather gear, and some clothing considerably better at breathing than wool, considering the target area was the Mediterranean, as well as some loose cloth, thread, and a few extra sets of sewing needles.

He slows his walk to watch a commotion near where some fishmongers were hawking fish.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #182 on: December 18, 2020, 08:41:46 PM »
Harald eventually emerges onto deck, looks at the rapidly brewing confrontation, sighs heavily, and heads back down. When he comes back, he's toting his warhammer. He approaches the group without even bothering to conceal the noise of his stride, and looks down at the fishmonger impassively.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2020, 06:43:59 AM »
"..." The fisherman looks at the scar, then steps back. "Hrm! You're both stupid and I know what I caught. But if you take your friend away now I won't toss him into the harbor."

Doc flaps his mouth a couple of times, but seems unable to speak; he's used up all of his arguments. "But-"

"You seem sensible. I don't know why he convinced you to go around accusing innocent fisherman of fraud!" The fisherman bristles with irritation as he speaks to Dísa. As he's speaking, his partner is putting away the pieces of fish that look suspect.

Yes, leave. That might be their best bet. They don´t need to buy that guys fish anyway.

":is: He didn´t convince me to do anything. He´s just objectively correct. So can we maybe just settle this by getting the authorities here and call it a day? If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to lose-"

Despite their attempts to do it discreetly, the fisherman's partner's efforts to be discreet in putting the "halibut" away are spotted by Oliver, who looks accusatively at the pair of fishmongers, saying  :is: "If it's the more expensive fish, why are you hiding it? After all that effort catching it, surely you want to get something out of it. Dishonesty and fraud will not benefit any of us in the long run, so just be honest in the face of the evidence, :eng: you decietful little shit."

Or not. Whatever that last bit was, nice it was certainly not.

"Could we just..."

Harald eventually emerges onto deck, looks at the rapidly brewing confrontation, sighs heavily, and heads back down. When he comes back, he's toting his warhammer. He approaches the group without even bothering to conceal the noise of his stride, and looks down at the fishmonger impassively.

Dísa decides to give up saving the situation. At least she saw Leif go into one of the docks authorities´ offices.

"Ok whatever."
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2020, 06:52:19 AM »
Leif enters the scene following the three officials. He is grinning quite smugly and, as usual, seems perfectly happy standing back while the adults talk.

:is: "What is this commotion- everybody disperse" Tryggvi orders. He sees Harald, man a head taller than he is, doing the imposing glare at the fishmonger, and stares him down with all the authority of his position. Which isn't much, to be honest, but he makes use of what he has. Authorities arrived and it's time for them to go before this stupid thing escalates even more. "Disperse" he repeats slowly and calmly, directed only at him, making the meaning of the word universally clear.
"Which one is the marine biologist?" he asks Leif.

Leif casually strolls in between the people he had hired and gently begins to push everybody except Doc away from the scene. It is time to go. Doc can make his statement on his own.
Once the situation is appropriately farther away, he holds his hand out to Dísa.
:is: "What a lovely day to not start a fight with the locals, innit?" he brightly tells the others.

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Person by day, asleep by night.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/that idiot/ Anything else you feel like using
« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2020, 07:16:44 AM »
Leif enters the scene following the three officials. He is grinning quite smugly and, as usual, seems perfectly happy standing back while the adults talk.

:is: "What is this commotion- everybody disperse" Tryggvi orders. He sees Harald, man a head taller than he is, doing the imposing glare at the fishmonger, and stares him down with all the authority of his position. Which isn't much, to be honest, but he makes use of what he has. Authorities arrived and it's time for them to go before this stupid thing escalates even more. "Disperse" he repeats slowly and calmly, directed only at him, making the meaning of the word universally clear.

Leif casually strolls in between the people he had hired and gently begins to push everybody except Doc away from the scene. It is time to go. Doc can make his statement on his own.
Once the situation is appropriately farther away, he holds his hand out to Dísa.
 :is: "What a lovely day to not start a fight with the locals, innit?" he brightly tells the others.

Oliver looks down at Trygvvi as he walks past him, saying  :eng: "It seems the not so long arm of the law has arrived"
:gb:-Native speaker
:fr:-conversational (once upon a time (2 years ago))
:fi:-basics
old english (wessex)-some
:ru:-can swear

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #186 on: December 19, 2020, 07:31:32 AM »

":is: I agree...", grumbles Dísa and looks at Oliver a little angrily.

Though Leif seems extraordinarily proud of himself for almost doing nothing. She looks at his hand for a few seconds and raises her eyebrows. A "please" would be nice, but that would probably be a little to much for their hero. Well, it´s his wallet. She takes it out and hands it back.

"Thank you for letting be borrow this, I bought all necessary paint-supplies. Tell the doctor if he wants fish in the future, I can just catch him one, I brought equipment. Though no guarantee for it to be Halibut either."

She goes back to the place where she and Oliver left the wheelbarrow earlier. "I´ll go return this now, if you don´t need me anymore."
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2020, 09:14:24 AM »

Harald looks at Tryggvi, then at Leif, nods, and heads back to the ship.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #188 on: December 19, 2020, 10:33:52 AM »
:is: "If anyone wants to grab a lunch with me in that restaurant over there, I'll be done with work in a few minutes" Leif says before Dísa and Harald leave. "My treat."
With that, he also leaves, to go back to the copier and get his papers.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #189 on: December 19, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »

Doc is cornered as he explains his complaint about the fish, getting more and more specific. Doc speaks for fifteen full minutes about the specific properties of the fish.

:is: "...and that's why it's clearly not Halibut. I was not, of course, here to buy fish, but I was wandering by wondering what was being caught in the harbor and I could hardly just leave a mislabel without asking the fishmonger what had occurred." He's gesturing, in full university lecturer mode. Oh no.

The fishmonger scoffs and interrupts him. :is: "Whatever he's saying, he's full of nonsense. He just walked by and decided to argue because he's an ass, it seems! He needs a hobby!"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 01:18:20 PM by amaranthineamusement »
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2020, 01:27:33 PM »
Doc is cornered as he explains his complaint about the fish, getting more and more specific. Doc speaks for fifteen full minutes about the specific properties of the fish.

:is: "...and that's why it's clearly not Halibut. I was not, of course, here to buy fish, but I was wandering by wondering what was being caught in the harbor and I could hardly just leave a mislabel without asking the fishmonger what had occurred." He's gesturing, in full university lecturer mode. Oh no.

The fishmonger scoffs and interrupts him. :is: "Whatever he's saying, he's full of nonsense. He just walked by and decided to argue because he's an ass, it seems! He needs a hobby!"

Tryggvi patiently listens to the full explanation, not interrupting nor showing any signs of boredom. The girl with them seems exceedingly exhausted with his explanation, and the guy is listening with his eyes closed.
:is: "Fun fact, he is completely accurate. Sir, you can go now. As for you, let's begin with a fine for falsifying the name of the fish you were selling, next is a full inspection of all your stock..."

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #191 on: December 19, 2020, 01:53:10 PM »
:is: "If anyone wants to grab a lunch with me in that restaurant over there, I'll be done with work in a few minutes" Leif says before Dísa and Harald leave. "My treat."
With that, he also leaves, to go back to the copier and get his papers.

Harald leaves the warhammer in the forge, checks on the cat - still asleep - and gets a piece of paper and pen. He writes a quick note in Norwegian and Finnish for any crewmates who might wander in, letting them know the name and location of the restaurant Leif had mentioned. He leaves the note on the kitchen counter and leaves the ship fairly quickly, electing to wait outside the restaurant until the man with the money arrives.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
« Reply #192 on: December 19, 2020, 02:06:37 PM »
Tryggvi patiently listens to the full explanation, not interrupting nor showing any signs of boredom. The girl with them seems exceedingly exhausted with his explanation, and the guy is listening with his eyes closed.
:is: "Fun fact, he is completely accurate. Sir, you can go now. As for you, let's begin with a fine for falsifying the name of the fish you were selling, next is a full inspection of all your stock..."

When he's dismissed, Doc wanders off, still thinking mostly about fish.

Harald leaves the warhammer in the forge, checks on the cat - still asleep - and gets a piece of paper and pen. He writes a quick note in Norwegian and Finnish for any crewmates who might wander in, letting them know the name and location of the restaurant Leif had mentioned. He leaves the note on the kitchen counter and leaves the ship fairly quickly, electing to wait outside the restaurant until the man with the money arrives.

When he arrives at the ship, he finds the note, and hurries off to the restaurant- free food is something any academic values. As Doc shows up in front of the restaurant, he waves hesitantly at Harald.

:no: "H..hello? Thank you for, ah... being menacing? Before?" He shoves his hands in his pockets, not sure what to do while he's waiting for Leif to show up and feed them.

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #193 on: December 19, 2020, 02:09:19 PM »
When he's dismissed, Doc wanders off, still thinking mostly about fish.

When he arrives at the ship, he finds the note, and hurries off to the restaurant- free food is something any academic values. As Doc shows up in front of the restaurant, he waves hesitantly at Harald.

:no: "H..hello? Thank you for, ah... being menacing? Before?" He shoves his hands in his pockets, not sure what to do while he's waiting for Leif to show up and feed them.

Harald nods glacially. :no: "We are going to be in one another's company for some time," he says. "It would be remiss to not stand with one another." He pauses. "Will you be able to work? The ship lacks a proper medical bay, though I believe we could set something up in one of the unoccupied cabins."

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
« Reply #194 on: December 19, 2020, 02:13:01 PM »
Harald nods glacially. :no: "We are going to be in one another's company for some time," he says. "It would be remiss to not stand with one another." He pauses. "Will you be able to work? The ship lacks a proper medical bay, though I believe we could set something up in one of the unoccupied cabins."

:no: "...yes." Be nice to the big scary man, Doc. Know your place in the pecking order, Doc.

"An unoccupied cabin could work. I need somewhere that I can decontaminate thoroughly and seal off in case of a, uh, breach..." Doc shrugs. "The bed would work fine as a cot. We're all set as far as materials go, I believe. Although in the silent world, we may run out of supplies quicker than expected..."

"Are you experienced in such, uh, endeavors?"