Author Topic: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play  (Read 46868 times)

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Person by day, asleep by night.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/that idiot/ Anything else you feel like using
Re: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2020, 04:50:55 AM »
Harald decides to leave the woman to her work, and sets to getting his hands on proper materials.
Several hundred kroner, the accidental destruction of a shoddily maintained wheelbarrow, and one merchant stared at until he started apologizing (and knocked a significant amount off the price), and Harald is heading up the gangplank of the ship with a crate of ingots on one shoulder and a wheelbarrow of various other metals being pushed in front of him.

As Harald walks onto the gangplank, Oliver turns to look down at him and asks:

:is: "Did you see a woman being followed by a swarm of cats while in town, or are icelandic pastries normally mildly halloucenogenic?"
:gb:-Native speaker
:fr:-conversational (once upon a time (2 years ago))
:fi:-basics
old english (wessex)-some
:ru:-can swear

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2020, 10:54:57 AM »

As Harald walks onto the gangplank, Oliver turns to look down at him and asks:

:is: "Did you see a woman being followed by a swarm of cats while in town, or are icelandic pastries normally mildly halloucenogenic?"

Harald gives Oliver a long, level look. :no: "I do not speak Icelandic," he says, before heading below deck.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2020, 12:30:25 PM »
Harald gives Oliver a long, level look. :no: "I do not speak Icelandic," he says, before heading below deck.

:eng: "Bugger, forgot about you"
He repeats the question in reasonably fluent Danish, far better pronounced than his Icelandic:
 :dk: "Did you see a woman being followed by a swarm of cats while in town, or are Icelandic pastries normally mildly halloucenogenic?"

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2020, 12:36:32 PM »

:eng: "Bugger, forgot about you"
He repeats the question in reasonably fluent Danish, far better pronounced than his Icelandic:
 :dk: "Did you see a woman being followed by a swarm of cats while in town, or are Icelandic pastries normally mildly halloucenogenic?"

:no: "Yes. It was our helmswoman. She was taking care of the local feral colony. I would advise not bothering her." With that, the big man and his cargo vanishes below deck.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2020, 03:22:54 PM »
On the side of the docks, a few fisherman selling their wares are in an argument with Doc, who has spent his time heading into the city and buying a few more medical supplies. He was short on disinfectant.

:is: "This is clearly Turbot, not Halibut," says Doc, pointing to the underside of the fresh fish, which is being prepped for market- it's pre-cut into fillets. "It's greyish!"

The fisherman looks like he's about two seconds from strangling Doc. "It's halibut! I caught it myself! Leave already!"

"You shouldn't be charging more for Halibut if it's not the right fish. You didn't keep the head, the eyes would make it obvious." Doc is puffed up with indignation.

"I risk my life to get this fish! And what do I get! Ungrateful customers!" The fisherman gestures with the tail of the fish. It flops with a wet sound. "I had to harpoon a sea beast to get back with these."
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2020, 03:41:16 PM »
:no: "Yes. It was our helmswoman. She was taking care of the local feral colony. I would advise not bothering her." With that, the big man and his cargo vanishes below deck.

As Dísa walks back out of the storage-room with her respective wheelbarrow, she is surprised to find Harald passing her with another one. His is filled with metal-supplies though.
When she reaches the deck again, Oliver is still watching the city.

":is: Do you know now who the cats were? I heard you and Harald talk, but I don´t speak Norwegian."
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2020, 04:30:40 PM »
As Dísa walks back out of the storage-room with her respective wheelbarrow, she is surprised to find Harald passing her with another one. His is filled with metal-supplies though.
When she reaches the deck again, Oliver is still watching the city.

" :is: Do you know now who the cats were? I heard you and Harald talk, but I don´t speak Norwegian."

:is: "Apparently it's our helmswoman taking care of the local feral colony, make of that what you will."

Looking across the docks, Oliver spots two men having a rather heated arguement over the fish one is selling, and has a feeling that he recognises the buyer... ah, that's it, it's the doctor bloke they hired for the expedition who seems to lack any major distinguishing features. Should probably go see what's going on. He hops of the mast backwards, wraps his arms round it and slides down it at the higher end of advisable speeds. As he hits the deck, he turns to Disa, he says:
 :is: "The doctor appears to be arguing with a fishmonger, I'm going to have a closer look", before heading over to the stall to hear the ongoing arguement, standing close enough to easily be noticed, but merely observing the disagreement as to whether the fish was halibut or not. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:58:57 PM by R.M.S.N.P »

Fuzipeg

• Scout
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2020, 06:51:01 PM »
Svenny is happier now the rest of the cats are away. He remains perched on a shoulder as the other one is being put to use.

Seems to be a weird dwelling. Mainly the hard blood-smelling stuff. He's staying put into he finds somewhere nice to go back to sleep, before he does a full inspection of the place to find all the nooks and crannies that bad things can hide in (and he can nap in).

Somewhere in here is warm, and this big male seems to be heading somewhere near. Definitely a good one to be with.

Spoiler: show
Svenny will stay on the shoulder until removed or until they reach the Forge.
From the :gb: , and I'm into a lot of things.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2020, 07:17:54 PM »

:is: "Apparently it's our helmswoman taking care of the local feral colony, make of that what you will."

Looking across the docks, Oliver spots two men having a rather heated arguement over the fish one is selling, and has a feeling that he recognises the buyer... ah, that's it, it's the doctor bloke they hired for the expedition who seems to lack any major distinguishing features. Should probably go see what's going on. He hops of the mast backwards, wraps his arms round it and slides down it at the higher end of advisable speeds. As he hits the deck, he turns to Disa, he says:
 :is: "The doctor appears to be arguing with a fishmonger, I'm going to have a closer look", before heading over to the stall to hear the ongoing arguement, standing close enough to easily be noticed, but merely observing the disagreement as to whether the fish was halibut or not.  [size=78%] [/size]

":is: Oh... I see."

Dísa doesn´t think she has spoken to the helmswoman so far. Sure seems to be an interesting person. Maybe the cat that will be accompanying them is hers. No, wait. It had been sitting on Haralds shoulder just now, hasn´t it? Anyway...
She watches Oliver glide down the mast for the second time. Yes, he has definitly done this before. Wait, doctor? She raises her eyebrows.

"Our doctor? The one with the funny sweather?" She couldn´t remember his name or picture his face after the short time she had seen him so far, but his sweather was quite recognizable. "And a fishmonger? Maybe I should come, I am a fisher... part-time. At least I spent a lot of time selling fish. I have to return this wheelbarrow anyway."

She follows Oliver to a different dock.

The fisherman the doctor is arguing with looks ready to punch him any second. The doctor doesn´t exactly look like he would be able to take the hit. Why does he want to buy fish anyway?
Oliver doesn´t seem interested in intervening, even as the man starts holding up his piece of fish-fillet like a weapon.

"I think someone should do something...", she tells the scout. Preferably quickly. "Watch this for me, okay?" She puts down the wheelbarrow next to Oliver and walks over to the two arguing men.

"I´m sorry, is there a problem?"

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2020, 08:35:27 PM »

:is:   heading over to the stall to hear the ongoing arguement, standing close enough to easily be noticed, but merely observing the disagreement as to whether the fish was halibut or not. 

Doc notices Oliver as he approaches, giving him a hesitant wave before dodging a piece of fish thrown at him by the fisherman.

"I can't believe you! Such a nuisance!"

Doc waves his hands in the air shakily. "Please! Just tell the truth to your customers!"

"I already told you, you're banned! For life!"

She watches Oliver glide down the mast for the second time. Yes, he has definitly done this before. Wait, doctor? She raises her eyebrows.

"Our doctor? The one with the funny sweather?" She couldn´t remember his name or picture his face after the short time she had seen him so far, but his sweather was quite recognizable. "And a fishmonger? Maybe I should come, I am a fisher... part-time. At least I spent a lot of time selling fish. I have to return this wheelbarrow anyway."

She follows Oliver to a different dock.

The fisherman the doctor is arguing with looks ready to punch him any second. The doctor doesn´t exactly look like he would be able to take the hit. Why does he want to buy fish anyway?

Oliver doesn´t seem interested in intervening, even as the man starts holding up his piece of fish-fillet like a weapon.

"I think someone should do something...", she tells the scout. Preferably quickly. "Watch this for me, okay?" She puts down the wheelbarrow next to Oliver and walks over to the two arguing men.

"I´m sorry, is there a problem?"

The fisherman turns to her, sniffing angrily. "This idiot academic keeps accusing me of selling the wrong fish!"

"I'm sorry," says Doc, wringing his hands, "I just can't let this keep happening! Fish fraud is a real issue! Note how all of the pieces of the fish that would be distinguishable are missing. That can't be a coincidence. Even the color of the scales is wrong..."

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2020, 08:48:23 PM »
Svenny is happier now the rest of the cats are away. He remains perched on a shoulder as the other one is being put to use.

Seems to be a weird dwelling. Mainly the hard blood-smelling stuff. He's staying put into he finds somewhere nice to go back to sleep, before he does a full inspection of the place to find all the nooks and crannies that bad things can hide in (and he can nap in).

Somewhere in here is warm, and this big male seems to be heading somewhere near. Definitely a good one to be with.

Svenny will stay on the shoulder until removed or until they reach the Forge.

Harald heads into the forge and sets down the crate, and the wheelbarrow. After a moment's consideration, he takes Svenny off his shoulder gently and sets the cat somewhere out of the way to continue sleeping.
Right. Time to get to sharpening.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2020, 07:53:03 AM »
Doc notices Oliver as he approaches, giving him a hesitant wave before dodging a piece of fish thrown at him by the fisherman.

"I can't believe you! Such a nuisance!"

Doc waves his hands in the air shakily. "Please! Just tell the truth to your customers!"

"I already told you, you're banned! For life!"

The fisherman turns to her, sniffing angrily. "This idiot academic keeps accusing me of selling the wrong fish!"

"I'm sorry," says Doc, wringing his hands, "I just can't let this keep happening! Fish fraud is a real issue! Note how all of the pieces of the fish that would be distinguishable are missing. That can't be a coincidence. Even the color of the scales is wrong..."

":is: uhm..."

Smart move, Dísa, really smart. Because diplomacy is definitly one of your strong suits...
She should maybe do something against her habit of interfering with situations she can most likely not handle. She takes a closer look at the fish anyway. The doctor is right, that fish is a lot of things, but not Halibut. It´s still charged as Halibut. But acknowledging this will most likely get her banned too.
Ah, whatever, better incure the wrath of some random fisherman she´ll most likely never see again than upset a guy she has to work and live with for the next few months.

"But you are selling the wrong fish. He´s right, the scales are wrong, and the meat is greyish. I really don´t want to be rude, trust me, I am aware of how dangerous it is to catch fish." She rolls up her sleeve to reveal a large bite-scar on her left forearm. It´s well healed and clearly a few years old, but still very visible. "A seal-beast did this. But that´s why the seafood-prices are so high in the first place. There´s no need to raise them even more by pretending the fish is something it´s not."

Fuzipeg

• Scout
« Reply #177 on: December 17, 2020, 09:34:42 AM »
Harald heads into the forge and sets down the crate, and the wheelbarrow. After a moment's consideration, he takes Svenny off his shoulder gently and sets the cat somewhere out of the way to continue sleeping.
Right. Time to get to sharpening.
Svenny has a look around and a sniff, it's very warm here. He settles down on top of a basket of leathers and rags, pads a bit, then yawns and gets comfy.
I assumed there would be protective leathers of some type, and oily rags used to treat the metal.
From the :gb: , and I'm into a lot of things.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
« Reply #178 on: December 18, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »
":is: uhm..."

Smart move, Dísa, really smart. Because diplomacy is definitly one of your strong suits...
She should maybe do something against her habit of interfering with situations she can most likely not handle. She takes a closer look at the fish anyway. The doctor is right, that fish is a lot of things, but not Halibut. It´s still charged as Halibut. But acknowledging this will most likely get her banned too.
Ah, whatever, better incure the wrath of some random fisherman she´ll most likely never see again than upset a guy she has to work and live with for the next few months.

"But you are selling the wrong fish. He´s right, the scales are wrong, and the meat is greyish. I really don´t want to be rude, trust me, I am aware of how dangerous it is to catch fish." She rolls up her sleeve to reveal a large bite-scar on her left forearm. It´s well healed and clearly a few years old, but still very visible. "A seal-beast did this. But that´s why the seafood-prices are so high in the first place. There´s no need to raise them even more by pretending the fish is something it´s not."

"..." The fisherman looks at the scar, then steps back. "Hrm! You're both stupid and I know what I caught. But if you take your friend away now I won't toss him into the harbor."

Doc flaps his mouth a couple of times, but seems unable to speak; he's used up all of his arguments. "But-"

"You seem sensible. I don't know why he convinced you to go around accusing innocent fisherman of fraud!" The fisherman bristles with irritation as he speaks to Dísa. As he's speaking, his partner is putting away the pieces of fish that look suspect.

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #179 on: December 18, 2020, 02:46:33 PM »
"..." The fisherman looks at the scar, then steps back. "Hrm! You're both stupid and I know what I caught. But if you take your friend away now I won't toss him into the harbor."

Doc flaps his mouth a couple of times, but seems unable to speak; he's used up all of his arguments. "But-"

"You seem sensible. I don't know why he convinced you to go around accusing innocent fisherman of fraud!" The fisherman bristles with irritation as he speaks to Dísa. As he's speaking, his partner is putting away the pieces of fish that look suspect.

Despite their attempts to do it discreetly, the fisherman's partner's efforts to be discreet in putting the "halibut" away are spotted by Oliver, who looks accusatively at the pair of fishmongers, saying  :is: "If it's the more expensive fish, why are you hiding it? After all that effort catching it, surely you want to get something out of it. Dishonesty and fraud will not benefit any of us in the long run, so just be honest in the face of the evidence, :eng: you decietful little shit."