Author Topic: Travel Stories and Advice  (Read 15330 times)

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Travel Stories and Advice
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2015, 03:06:43 AM »
I am about an hour north of LA.  I haven't read the Minnions meetup forum yet, but I can say that SF is a bit too far for me to drive (at least on a short notice)!  Glad to know there are some other fans out here around me though :)
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01:

Avatar made by the most awesome Tap.

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2015, 07:48:02 PM »
I'm back from Turkey, I'll do a review of what I did in a few days in case someone wants/needs that :) but for now I'm in NYC so I have other stuffs to do
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

P__

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 09:54:50 PM »
(self reply... I know, I know)
So, what are good/traditional/interesting things to do on 4th of July in NYC? I think we have (a) few visits panned, but nothing beyond that. Any ideas pls?
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 11:59:30 AM »
Ohmygod I loved Stockholm and Mariehamn and Turku and Helsinki and I can't wait to go back.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2015, 08:38:18 AM »
Removed my posts over here and to avoid double posting, we leave it at one so 4th july - 14th july here you are

3rd July
Starting journey now! Okay in about 40 minutes, breakfast first. I am so happy to get going!  8)

7th July
update: met two pretty cool danish ladies who where far more nicer than the danish youths that where afraid I would disturb them if i set up my tent near their booked shelter ( which by lawbwould have allowed me styaing there, but hey no need to spoil everyones weekend) also I met some nice biking folks on ferry today. now onwards to the mountains!

11th July
The most best journey continues. Fenris' parents have been very welcoming to me and shown what norwegian guestright containsall in all. My bike took a break in their barn and the barbecue tasted so nice after a time of just dry bread.
Lastnnight we tried hardly to make a pubtour in göteborg. Not sure were we ended up in the end but we were not able to get to our hostels afterwards. It was a fun night night out, really nice, hoping the meeting with lasse and windy will be as splendid :-)

12th July
I had the most best and long sleep in a very nice hostel. I have decided, that I will stay two nights in Kopenhagen before I leave to Germany. I really need to come back to norway one way or the other with far more time on hand. Also I will have to visit sweden again. Denmark also has its nice sides, but I think that can wait until I own a good bicycle.

With rain over Gothenburg I am not to eager to leave the hostel yet. Details of the meetup I will put in the meetup thread (or maybe windy does ;) ). Fotos will be shown, when I am back of the trip and have selected a few.

addition to copenhagen: drinking with estonians can be really fun. we found a herbal garden and nearly ate up all the garlic there. there was other nice stuff as well but i do not know the english term sadly. copenhagen is pretty cool so far.

13th of July
My first day and second night in kopenhagen say: I totally have to stay another night and i am so looking forward to it. The Estonian has been good company so far and we met some other people I will go visiting stuff with tomorrow, thus staying here longer (and getting a bit poorer...). I will have to return here, absolutely! The free walking tours have been very much entertaining as well as informative. But if it comes to traffic lights the danes indeed stick to protocoll no matter the cost :-) . totally mikkel they are here

15th of July
last night of the tripp, ending where the first night started. visiting another old friend in hamburg was brilliant. having not seen each other for nearly two years, met her new partner who is a splendid person and again people tried to overfeed me XD.

tomorrow morning last 400 km home. with a crying and a laughing eye. feartheviola what you discribe sums up what i felt  in copenhagen mostly :-)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:23:43 PM by kjeks »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Zlatoglazka

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »
!  When will you be there?  Just reserved a cottage west of Lappeenranta, and will be driving through it every day to Joutseno from July 18-24.
Hello! We have finally got our visas and solved other issues, thus I know the dates. We'll come to Imatra the 14th of July and stay at Vuoksen Lautturi Oy (The Vuoksi Fishing Park) for one or two days and casually visit Lappeenranta (and probably some other places).
Then we probably go to Finland again the next week - by bikes and just two of us.
And this time there is a chance to meet you.
UPD: Oh, my husband has broke his arm, thus we're staying at home until he is able to drive again. It's likely all the dates will be shifted for two or three weeks.
Spoiler: show
Just in case: +7(929)100-53-25
Or gmail: lacrimosaspb

mamioja
Thank you for your advice!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:51:46 AM by Zlatoglazka »
:russia: - native;
:uk: - not too bad;
:france: - remember a bit since my school-days;
:germany: :japan: - let's call it "some language bits learned accidentally".

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 01:10:30 PM »
If anyone goes to Japan, a travel tip: There are like no trash cans anywhere, so if you have trash you might have to carry it around with you for a little while. Trash cans for bottles are usually found next to the vending machines, and often times people who run shops have them hidden behind the desks and will throw something out for you if you ask.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 05:20:15 PM »
maybe a list about norway/sweden/denmark will follow, but i learned from kopenhagen: if there is free walking tour guys, go with them. they are very dedicated and tell you a lot of stuff. I am still stunned and they seem to operate worldwide :-)

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2015, 09:48:42 PM »
Are there any Finnish beers similar to the dark, low-hopped, "bread-in-a-glass" Czech varieties?  (That's for preference.)   :)  Also, what are the popular Finnish beers?  (That's for experience.)  8)

Finally, is the duty-free shop the best place to buy Lakka (cloudberry liqueur)?  (That's for taking home, hoarding, and only doling out on special occasions.)  ;D
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2015, 02:07:32 PM »
Aaaah I totally forgot that this existed. Of course I could have put every little story of my trip in here *facepalms* thanks for Auleliel to kinldy remind me about it. Maybe some of the festival picks next week will go in here =) 

Your trip stories still could go here.  Either you could copy-and-paste the content from your earlier posts into a new post here -- or I could move them here.  (PM me if you'd like me to do that, with the links to the posts.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2015, 02:26:32 PM »
I even could remove them myself o_O *pondersondoingthat*

That's right, I forgot!   :P  The power lies within you too, Kjeks! 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2015, 03:24:16 PM »
That's right, I forgot!   :P  The power lies within you too, Kjeks!

Uh Sunny this was a bit of a mess around o_O BUT it works*points upwards*

(and removed earlier posts we do not want to mess in here)

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2015, 02:39:55 PM »
Finally, is the duty-free shop the best place to buy Lakka (cloudberry liqueur)?  (That's for taking home, hoarding, and only doling out on special occasions.)  ;D

If you can't get it in duty-free, your only option is the Alko, I think  (I was buying Terva, myself :) )
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2015, 04:14:12 AM »
Sooo, a week at home is enough, so I set off in direction of Hamburg again.

Final destination: Wacken Open Air. I did what the marketing guys want me to do: I saw the one Band I really want to see in my life and thus bought a ticket despite having vowed several times that /this/ is the last Festival up there.

After having adjusted the tyres of my motorbike last evening I discovered some minutes ago that I put too much pressure on the chain. GAAAAH. So little kjeks, today without assisting hand, earned a scratch more BUT I fixed the problem on my own. Fixed too my hands are the tale telling stains of oilish-dirt and it seems not all of it wants to be removed in one go. Checking in at a friend's tonight, so the party will only begin tomorrow morning =). Pictures will follow after I am done up there and yay, when I am back chapter break is finally over.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2015, 04:31:57 AM »
My family and I have done quite a bit of traveling, which I will get into at a later date, with maybe a few photos as well (for  nice trip across parts of America and Canada). Just wanted to post something here letting you know I'm heading to LAS VEGAS tomorrow morning, and will post some photos from that excurison! It should be lots of fun, I'm excited to go: its for my mom's 50th birthday, and my sister Alethryia will be joining me.

So yup, get ready for some progress posts.
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat: