Author Topic: Reynir Árnason -- Character Development  (Read 29770 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: Reynir Árnason -- Character Development
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 06:08:11 AM »
Haiz: glad to be useful! :D Also oh man, that Egill. Not sure if he ever kidnapped anyone but he did send his own brother to a certain death so he could marry his wife. On the upside he at least saved the life of that girl who was dying of badly carved love staves...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2015, 06:14:13 AM »
<snip>

that. that is interesting.
I'll quote that to the Magic speculation thread (it's buried somewhere), hope you don't mind :) (If you do mind, I shall remove it)
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 06:52:19 AM »
Laufey: that was a really interesting read! I had no idea there were so many variations to icelandic magic! If Reynir was believed to be a skyggn it would explain why he doesn't know he's a mage.

I was thinking that if Árni got his what he desired for his descendants there is a possibility that Reynir doesn't know much of the world at all. Maybe he is unaware of the existence of magic? (pure speculations of course)

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 07:16:04 AM »
P__: I don't mind at all! :)

AquaAurion: yup, plus although any and all combinations of the talent / skill / knowledge are possible people like to go for the option they think is most obvious. As much of the magic was actually really everyday stuff Reynir probably knows something about it, but since the thought of a male mage can be very unrealistic to him it might make him ignore any "symptoms" of it or explain them, like Árni, as simply dreams and nothing more.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mayabird

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 11:08:21 PM »
Enlightening, educational...and maybe I'm just childish but I find the mere concept of there being such a thing as a 'fart rune' amazing. 

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2015, 03:03:14 AM »
Enlightening, educational...and maybe I'm just childish but I find the mere concept of there being such a thing as a 'fart rune' amazing.
Indeed!  And Haiz' description of the view of magic in Iceland has brought home for me again how much I love learning from this community.
I'm curious to see where his relationship with the rest of the team goes from here.  Sigrun ran screaming at the sight of him (he doesn't know What she's screaming, and it doesn't really sound that commanding from his point of view) and Tuuri's not even coming into his line of sight yet.  He may not have even really registered her presence yet. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2015, 04:32:10 AM »

Heh, there are runes and staves for all purposes indeed. :D Fart runes were considered an attempt at her life because back in Jón Jónsson's day stomach problems could kill you, and of course there was the added bit of humiliation there. The use of magical staves and runes can be very down to earth stuff at times and the actual stave-using even play a somewhat minor role, as with creating necropants (link is totally safe for work but whenever you see the word necropants be ready for possible full frontal male nudity).

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 05:35:09 AM »
Indeed!  And Haiz' description of the view of magic in Iceland has brought home for me again how much I love learning from this community.
wait what did I do
sure you didn't mean Laufey?

I'm curious to see where his relationship with the rest of the team goes from here.  Sigrun ran screaming at the sight of him (he doesn't know What she's screaming, and it doesn't really sound that commanding from his point of view) and Tuuri's not even coming into his line of sight yet.  He may not have even really registered her presence yet. 
hhhhhh yes
I mean, based on various pictures (and the already ongoing shipping) it seems like reynir and tuuri will be MOST BEST FRENDS. I mean they're close in age and tuuri can speak icelandic and both lack immunity and they are both adorable so. I'm excited
you'll know where to find me.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 05:40:03 AM »
I mean, based on various pictures (and the already ongoing shipping) it seems like reynir and tuuri will be MOST BEST FRENDS. I mean they're close in age and tuuri can speak icelandic and both lack immunity and they are both adorable so. I'm excited
I suspect that (since Minna seems to have gone out of her way to make Tuuri not near Reynir) meetingness will probably be the Monday week-opener?
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 10:45:25 PM »
I suspect that (since Minna seems to have gone out of her way to make Tuuri not near Reynir) meetingness will probably be the Monday week-opener?
Here's hoping you are correct.  They may be well-matched in many ways, as pointed out, but Minna's characterisations are never simple.  (And we love it that way!)

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 04:31:43 AM »
wait what did I do
sure you didn't mean Laufey?

!!!!!!
Yes I did, my sincerest apologies. *blush*

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 06:24:39 AM »
!!!!!!
Yes I did, my sincerest apologies. *blush*
ahahahaa don't worry, being mistaken for Laufey is a compliment
you'll know where to find me.

Cat Is in the Moon

• Such Evil.
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 09:17:17 AM »
But overall Reynir's character development may be very interesting well... as it develops. So far he's scared and unsure, but perhaps during his journey he'll get more self confidence, he'll learn to use magic and will over all see the world and thus achieve what he's searching for. The Reynir we see in 300 pages is probably very different from what we've seen so far. :)
I really look forward to his...growth(?)  :D
I wonder if my english's failing me...

Ammerynth

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2015, 09:42:01 AM »
But overall Reynir's character development may be very interesting well... as it develops. So far he's scared and unsure, but perhaps during his journey he'll get more self confidence, he'll learn to use magic and will over all see the world and thus achieve what he's searching for. The Reynir we see in 300 pages is probably very different from what we've seen so far. :)
I really look forward to his...growth(?)  :D
I wonder if my english's failing me...

I think growth is perfectly fine to use. Maybe you could say growth as a character, or something like that. (Not an English teacher or anything, just an English speaker!)

I'm really looking forward to seeing how he'll change in the future, I already really like him and he's only properly been around for... What, six pages? Seven? Not many, anyway. And like a lot of people, I really really hope he'll be great friends with Tuuri(or at the very least, buddies). Then she won't be lonely in the Cat-tank while the others adventure!
Native: :uk:
Learning: :france: :sweden:
Survivor: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:

kahli

• Scout
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »
A place to talk about Reynir's braid!
(Also I wasn't really sure where else to put this comment conversation. Am I doing it right Sunflower? or is there some sort of formula for putting comments into the forum? :-\)

Mystwalker3-
Just wondering, since I have only braided someone's hair a few times in my life, but I seem to recall that starting it is the hardest part, and it didn't seem like something you could do yourself...
So who braids Raynir's hair? How often? Could he possibly do it himself?

Aprillen-
Braiding your own hair is easy. I actually find it easier to braid my own hair than someone else's. Doing it on yourself, you have to do it back to front, and that is actually quicker than doing it the "right" way.
It goes into your "muscle memory". My fingers just know what to do, I don't have to think about it.

polkad0tpanic-
mine's never been quite that long, but it has made it to the middle of my back. learning took a few days and mistakes but it's been all good since then. i get asked if i braid my own hair a lot.

i wonder if i got my hair that long... if my braid would behave this way. i don't see it happening but i want to try now. that'll be a whole lot more spent on shampoo and conditioner...

mamioja-
Normal braid is quite easy to do for yourself. Good instructions by the Aphid here. But a fishbone / french braid is much harder to do by yourself, especially without two mirrors. Mine is almost always uneven, but a friend of mine does hers just perfectly.

Aprillen-
French braids aren't all that hard to do either, with a little practice. That's what I usually do with mine, and I don't need mirrors anymore -- in fact, it usually turns out better if I do it without looking in the mirrors. But yeah, you do need two mirrors when you first start learning it.

The Aphid-
Yeah, he can do it himself. My hair is not quite that long, but almost, and I also do one long braid as my signature style. It took me until I was about twelve to figure out how to do that myself, but no problems since then.

The Aphid-
To further elaborate: I start with both of my hands behind my head, elbows up in the air. (Like if you touch the back of your neck with both palms). Separate the hair into three sections between my fingers, start braiding. After the first few over/under passes, the braid is far enough down that I can pull the whole business over one shoulder or the other to finish. I used to get lopsided results at first, and would try to counterbalance that by trading out shoulders several times during the course of doing a single braid. But by the time I was Reynir's age, I'd pretty much figured out how to leave enough slack so the braid didn't wind up curved in an over-the-shoulder shape.

Ruby-
Ditto for my sister, who has similar long red curly hair. She often leaves it in a braid for days at a time, since it gets so tangled and unruly otherwise.

Auleliel-
Yep, that's how I do mine, too. With enough practice hair can be self-braided in a matter of seconds.

Noodly Appendage-
My mom's hair is about that long and she can.
But yes, it takes practice, although a braid that comes over his shoulder like that is probably easier to start than one down the back.

poklad0tpanic-
do you think it's braided over his shoulder or he put it there? i always braid mine straight and move them as needed.

corncobman-
Either he does braid it himself or by the end of the story he'll look like someone dragged him backwards through a series of hedges.

Adrai-
I'm sorry.
/>
No, I'm not sorry. Sorry.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 05:57:11 PM by kahli »
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Chapter break survivor: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: