Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842432 times)

DarkRawen

• Rawen can do it!
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #4035 on: August 29, 2015, 06:23:19 PM »
Two responses in one day - I'm so lucky!
Aw this is so sweet! I love it so much aaaaaaa
The background and details in the uniform are both amazing and the cookie really fits with Hanna's character - did you read the section of her bio on her love for biscuits/pastries, or is it a coincidence? Either way, this picture is fantastic :)

Yeah, it was because of the love of biscuits :P I figured chocolate chip cookies tends to be a safe choice. (: Glad you liked it.

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #4036 on: August 29, 2015, 06:40:50 PM »
Yeah, it was because of the love of biscuits :P I figured chocolate chip cookies tends to be a safe choice. (: Glad you liked it.

Chocolate chip cookies were definitely a good choice to make :P (I mean who doesn't love them?) I think this the first time that particular detail has actually been mentioned outside the bio, so I'm happy and impressed that you paid such close attention to it! Thank you again ^^
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4037 on: August 29, 2015, 10:52:53 PM »
Hello! I've yet to manage to read all the way through the thread, but so far I have had a look at the character compilation as well as the first 15 pages of this thread. Everyone's characters were great to read about, but a few people who exceptionally stuck out to me, in a positive way, were the icelandic falconer, the finnish-estonian(?) stamp maker/beekeeper and the accordion-troll. There were others as well of course and I might drop some favorable comments on them as I keep reading. :)
I thought I would share my meager attempt with you. She was originally supposed to be an OC, then she became more like a self-insert during character design.
A couple further words: Her clothes are inspired by estonian national clothing, but heavily simplified to be more suitable for day-to-day wear. She has another set with all the little frills and embroidery set aside for special occasions.

Name: Airi Viiding
Nationality: Finnish-Estonian
Area of birth: Saimaa
Immunity: Yes
Profession: Civilian herbalist
Languages: :estonia: :finland: and a tiny bit of :sweden:

Airi is part-estonian from both lineages, with the main bulk of her non-finnish ancestry being comprised of the descendants of Helsinki’s immigrants, post-rash refugees and one seaman in the form of her paternal great-grandfather.  She has four living siblings in total, however only the very youngest of them – Asko – is still residing in her home village. Airi’s sister married off to another settlement whilst her older half-brothers left with some others to prepare Gogland for permanent settlement and have yet to return. 

Airi is a devout worshipper of both finnish nature spirits and the estonian pagan god of Taara. She does her best to, within reason, keep the songs and traditions of her people alive for the future generations and dreams of someday seeing Tallinn – even if from afar. Her family used to own some Old World books, as well as the memoirs of her seafaring great-grandfather, but those were all sold to a traveling danishman when she’d been a little girl.

Her main role in the community is that of a healer. Although more knowledgeable of pharmaceutical medicines than an average person she is one of those people who strongly prefer „natural“ remedies for non-life threatening ailments. Her backyard is filled to the brim with herbs and the occasional cucumber plants, which she diligently takes care of during the summer. At winter, however, the woman dons a pair of skis and a rifle, joining the scouts in locating and eliminating any beasts who might’ve wandered too close to their home.

The finnish side of her ancestry gives Airi some meager affinity with spells, which she uses to it’s fullest potential when healing or warding her home. However, despite this, she is definitely not a proper mage.

More sketches of her: Click Airi's preferred method of dealing with injuries*, her winter clothes and a ski-chase after a rabbit-beast across frozen Saimaa.
_____
*My mother wraps whole horseraddish leaves across her limbs to combat joint pain - I took it to the logical extreme.

Tere! Another Esto-Finn ssssona!  (Sorry I haven't checked in & welcomed you earlier, I tend to have limited only lumpy bits of time for the Forums.)  You will no doubt be off in the Silent World, but when you come back, stop in for a sauna!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #4038 on: August 29, 2015, 11:07:23 PM »

Finished my half of my art trade with Trinka!! Since they were Burtonifying everybody else (SO COOL), I figured their sona shouldn't be left out of the fun, and when they asked that Swagger be included of course I went all out with the scribbly black shadows ;3c It was really weird trying to do such a traditional style digitally but it was also SUPER FUN even if my tablet pen nib is in pain, ahahaha

The original is about three times this size, so Trinka, if you want the Grande Version I can get that to you somehow :P
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:33:38 PM by Curry »
YEET

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4039 on: August 29, 2015, 11:19:10 PM »

Sóley thought her past was left behind; she had a new life, a new purpose. But escaping what she had done wouldn't be that easy, her shackled demons wouldn't let her.
Consumed by her studies ..... she began to realize something else was consuming her .....

~~~A Madness Began to Creep~~~

Ahhh, so cool!  Those... and those... and that.... *flaps hands* I love this!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #4040 on: August 30, 2015, 12:54:44 AM »

I wasn't going to say anything other than that's an amazing style imitation, but I just noticed the wings on the hat are bat wings and I love that detail a lot :D

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #4041 on: August 30, 2015, 01:36:47 AM »

Finished my half of my art trade with Trinka!! Since they were Burtonifying everybody else (SO COOL), I figured their sona shouldn't be left out of the fun, and when they asked that Swagger be included of course I went all out with the scribbly black shadows ;3c It was really weird trying to do such a traditional style digitally but it was also SUPER FUN even if my tablet pen nib is in pain, ahahaha

The original is about three times this size, so Trinka, if you want the Grande Version I can get that to you somehow :P

Oooh nice touch with the bat wings!
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #4042 on: August 31, 2015, 02:04:52 AM »

HOLY WOW
WHY IS THIS SO PERFECT?!?
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY HEART?!

yes yes this pleases me greatly, everything is 100% perfect. Love her face, the skribly hair, ADORABLE little bat wings on her hat, and can we all acknowledge how ON POINT Swagger is? I was expecting some sassy little weirdly adorable creepy thing sitting on her shoulder, then you went in an aweaome 180° direction and incorporated him into THE COMPOSITION?!

Yes. Yes. All the yes.
Have I mentioned yet that the skribbly black shading he does is my favorite technique of Burton's, because it is just so fun and easy and pleasant to look at?
Because it is.
And I love it here.
So yeah
I'm just gonna lay here for a while and attempt to compose myself again.

(And yyyyeeeesssss, send me the bigger version, my desktop's wallpaper has been stuck the same since January :3 )
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #4043 on: August 31, 2015, 10:57:22 AM »
My part of the art trade with Keeper - I finished earlier than I thought I would!

I'm sorry it's only a head shot instead of full body; I wanted to try out a different style and wasn't sure how long it would take.
As I mentioned before, the reason for the Harry Potter uniform is that it was the first thing I thought of when I saw your 'sonas outfit on your infodump slide. I thought Madeline would fit well in Gryffindor :P I hope you like it!

she seems to be channelling Hermione Granger. oops
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4044 on: August 31, 2015, 12:47:43 PM »
I wasn't going to say anything other than that's an amazing style imitation, but I just noticed the wings on the hat are bat wings and I love that detail a lot :D
Oooh nice touch with the bat wings!

Aaaa, thank you!! I had started to draw them in as normal wings but, then I actually thought about it ;) There's also a skull and crossbones on the mail icon but it got lost when I shrank it to bearable size :I

HOLY WOW
WHY IS THIS SO PERFECT?!?
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY HEART?!

yes yes this pleases me greatly, everything is 100% perfect. Love her face, the skribly hair, ADORABLE little bat wings on her hat, and can we all acknowledge how ON POINT Swagger is? I was expecting some sassy little weirdly adorable creepy thing sitting on her shoulder, then you went in an aweaome 180° direction and incorporated him into THE COMPOSITION?!

Yes. Yes. All the yes.
Have I mentioned yet that the skribbly black shading he does is my favorite technique of Burton's, because it is just so fun and easy and pleasant to look at?
Because it is.
And I love it here.
So yeah
I'm just gonna lay here for a while and attempt to compose myself again.

(And yyyyeeeesssss, send me the bigger version, my desktop's wallpaper has been stuck the same since January :3 )
EEEEEEEE I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKE IT!!! I really had so much fun doing this and I'm so glad that the Burton Queen gave it her seal of approval :D expect a burton-esque ssss cast at some point in the vague future, huehuehuehue...

Here's the link to the big version (warning: is very big. 3280x3280 pixels. don't do this if you have weak wifi)
YEET

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #4045 on: August 31, 2015, 03:46:51 PM »
KauniitaUnia: Nice work on Keeper, I like the different textures you've used.
Curry: More Burtonn! Also a very nice reference with putting Swagger in the same pose as Kokko on the last page of aRTD.  :)
Tries to not expect a burtonesque cast of the main crew.

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #4046 on: August 31, 2015, 04:11:12 PM »
My part of the art trade with Keeper - I finished earlier than I thought I would!

I'm sorry it's only a head shot instead of full body; I wanted to try out a different style and wasn't sure how long it would take.
As I mentioned before, the reason for the Harry Potter uniform is that it was the first thing I thought of when I saw your 'sonas outfit on your infodump slide. I thought Madeline would fit well in Gryffindor :P I hope you like it!

she seems to be channelling Hermione Granger. oops
Eeeee! It came out really nice! And I pretty much am a lot like Hermione so that is not a bad thing. Personally I would put myself in Ravenclaw, but Madeline's a bit braver than I am so Gryffindor would probably be a better fit for her.
Not to mention my cousin believes I would fit in Slytherin so who really even knows

Yay! :D
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
Announcement
« Reply #4047 on: August 31, 2015, 04:35:03 PM »
Aaaalright, with the forum's birthday happening tomorrow, Para and I figured that we needed to do something with the 'sonas to celebrate as well!

New 'Sona Prompt: PARTY/GALA!!

Break out the party hats, cake, confetti, shenanigans, gowns, suits, whatever screams party when you see it :D If you can draw, DRAW! If you can write, WRITE! If you can party (AND I KNOW YOU CAN), PARTY!

So sorry about the short notice, but the best parties go on for days, soooo ;)

In the incredibly wise and coherent words of Para, "PRTY THEM"
YEET

Unlos

• Tumblr
Re: Announcement
« Reply #4048 on: August 31, 2015, 04:37:57 PM »
Aaaalright, with the forum's birthday happening tomorrow, Para and I figured that we needed to do something with the 'sonas to celebrate as well!

Break out the party hats, cake, confetti, shenanigans, gowns, suits, whatever screams party when you see it :D If you can draw, DRAW! If you can write, WRITE! If you can party (AND I KNOW YOU CAN), PARTY!

Oh, lovely! Very good idea, and I especially like the "party goes on for days" concept :)

ParanormalAndroid

Re: Announcement
« Reply #4049 on: August 31, 2015, 04:40:04 PM »

My coherence was absolutely off the scale, I was like some sort of utterly and completely sane oracle.
But yeah, basically, PRTY HRD and do whatever the hell you want (as long as it's not illegal, please try not to get arrested) to celebrate!