Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842486 times)

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #3810 on: August 17, 2015, 01:31:24 PM »
Two new forum members while I took a break to do some re-decorating, wow! Welcome to DarkRawen and Cliodna ;)

Hello! I've yet to manage to read all the way through the thread, but so far I have had a look at the character compilation as well as the first 15 pages of this thread. Everyone's characters were great to read about, but a few people who exceptionally stuck out to me, in a positive way, were the icelandic falconer, the finnish-estonian(?) stamp maker/beekeeper and the accordion-troll. There were others as well of course and I might drop some favorable comments on them as I keep reading. :)
I thought I would share my meager attempt with you. She was originally supposed to be an OC, then she became more like a self-insert during character design.
A couple further words: Her clothes are inspired by estonian national clothing, but heavily simplified to be more suitable for day-to-day wear. She has another set with all the little frills and embroidery set aside for special occasions.

Name: Airi Viiding
Nationality: Finnish-Estonian
Area of birth: Saimaa
Immunity: Yes
Profession: Civilian herbalist
Languages: :estonia: :finland: and a tiny bit of :sweden:

Spoiler: show
Airi is part-estonian from both lineages, with the main bulk of her non-finnish ancestry being comprised of the descendants of Helsinki’s immigrants, post-rash refugees and one seaman in the form of her paternal great-grandfather.  She has four living siblings in total, however only the very youngest of them – Asko – is still residing in her home village. Airi’s sister married off to another settlement whilst her older half-brothers left with some others to prepare Gogland for permanent settlement and have yet to return. 

Airi is a devout worshipper of both finnish nature spirits and the estonian pagan god of Taara. She does her best to, within reason, keep the songs and traditions of her people alive for the future generations and dreams of someday seeing Tallinn – even if from afar. Her family used to own some Old World books, as well as the memoirs of her seafaring great-grandfather, but those were all sold to a traveling danishman when she’d been a little girl.

Her main role in the community is that of a healer. Although more knowledgeable of pharmaceutical medicines than an average person she is one of those people who strongly prefer „natural“ remedies for non-life threatening ailments. Her backyard is filled to the brim with herbs and the occasional cucumber plants, which she diligently takes care of during the summer. At winter, however, the woman dons a pair of skis and a rifle, joining the scouts in locating and eliminating any beasts who might’ve wandered too close to their home.

The finnish side of her ancestry gives Airi some meager affinity with spells, which she uses to it’s fullest potential when healing or warding her home. However, despite this, she is definitely not a proper mage.

More sketches of her: Click Airi's preferred method of dealing with injuries*, her winter clothes and a ski-chase after a rabbit-beast across frozen Saimaa.
_____
*My mother wraps whole horseraddish leaves across her limbs to combat joint pain - I took it to the logical extreme.

I added your 'sona to the infodump! Here
Can I just say how much I love your art style? It's really lovely (and the extra sketches are great)
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

Cliodna

• DeviantArt
  • Celibate because I don't give a ****
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #3811 on: August 17, 2015, 04:30:05 PM »
Welcome, Cliodna! Wow, I love your ssssona, she's really great! Get that hare-beast!
I've collected most of the drawings (the people who gave me permission to post their stuff, so a few are missing) on this pinterest board (updated sporadically).  (Haiz, is it something for the FAQ, do you think? Or does the infodump and spreadsheet make it unneccesary?)
Thank you, the hare doesn't stand a chance. And I'm glad you like her. I'm starting to get second thoughts regarding her as she looks a bit too much like a thinner version of myself, it's freaking me out. XD
And yeah, you have my permission to add her to the Pinterest board, if you want to. I generally don't mind people using, sharing or editing my art, provided that they share the results with me afterwards.

Two new forum members while I took a break to do some re-decorating, wow! Welcome to DarkRawen and Cliodna ;)

I added your 'sona to the infodump! Here
Can I just say how much I love your art style? It's really lovely (and the extra sketches are great)
Thanks. <3 There's a tiny typo to her last name though?
Fluent: :estonia: :uk:
Fluent if I hadn't slept through class: :germany: :finland:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #3812 on: August 17, 2015, 04:35:10 PM »
I forgot to say something about Cliodna's art so

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHV ITS SOBPERTTY *resumes screaminh*

and now we learn I can't type well on mobile
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #3813 on: August 17, 2015, 05:34:37 PM »
Thanks. <3 There's a tiny typo to her last name though?

Oops, my bad. Fixed!
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #3814 on: August 17, 2015, 06:15:16 PM »
haha i kinda wish i got haiz for the art thing because i'm already copying hir style all the time anyway

so i colored this thing 50 million years back

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #3815 on: August 17, 2015, 11:22:39 PM »
I'm just going to drag myself in here and grovel before the might of the art-trade gods, because I have no excuse for taking so long to do something I should have finished months ago

~(T^T)~

Anyways, crying over now. This one goes out to you Laufey, Queen of Watercolors and the Subtly-Creepy! In the style of the awesomely macabre Tim Burton, because inspiration took hold, and who am I to say no to my Muses?

~~~Dere kan ikke unslippe deres skjebne~~~

And have an inverted one of the line art, because it just looks too cool-for-school

Spoiler: whoa the whole thing is opposite • show

:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #3816 on: August 17, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
I'm just going to drag myself in here and grovel before the might of the art-trade gods

you... you are an art trade god

Icon drawn by Piney

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #3817 on: August 17, 2015, 11:40:23 PM »
I'm just going to drag myself in here and grovel before the might of the art-trade gods, because I have no excuse for taking so long to do something I should have finished months ago

~(T^T)~

Anyways, crying over now. This one goes out to you Laufey, Queen of Watercolors and the Subtly-Creepy! In the style of the awesomely macabre Tim Burton, because inspiration took hold, and who am I to say no to my Muses?
Ohmygod Trinkaaaaa!! This turned out amazing!! I can totally see the Tim Burton influence! I thought it was actually some of his characters for a second. Wow. It fits so well.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3818 on: August 17, 2015, 11:43:52 PM »

Ooooo, you finished! :D Love her expression. It looks so much like IRL Laufey even if it's Tim-Burton-ified.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #3819 on: August 17, 2015, 11:48:05 PM »

~(T^T)~

~~~Dere kan ikke unslippe deres skjebne~~~

And have an inverted one of the line art, because it just looks too cool-for-school

Spoiler: whoa the whole thing is opposite • show

SCREECHING
SO BEAUTIFUL
VERY TIM BURTON
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #3820 on: August 18, 2015, 12:45:46 AM »
you... you are an art trade god

SCREECHING
SO BEAUTIFUL
VERY TIM BURTON
SCREECHING
THANK YOU
I TRIED
Ooooo, you finished! :D Love her expression. It looks so much like IRL Laufey even if it's Tim-Burton-ified.
YeeeeEEEPPP I finished, thanks a bundle. (Added bonus points for a SSSSona that looks like the user, YUSSSHH!)
Ohmygod Trinkaaaaa!! This turned out amazing!! I can totally see the Tim Burton influence! I thought it was actually some of his characters for a second. Wow. It fits so well.
GAWWWSHHH, thank you lotsa! Trying to imitate artist styles is one of my favorite ways to draw, that's why I have like no discernable style (Art Style Swap Thread, I'm lookin at chu)
I KNOW RIGHT.
One night my mind was like,
"Yoooooooo, you know who would look dope with a cool Tim Burton style drawing showing the symbolism of inner monsters and the inevitability of their own fate and blood and sinister undertones????? LAUFEY, that's who!"

(DUDES, I totally recommend drawing like The Burton at least once. It's so freeing, what even are clean lines??? And if anyone else wants a cool Burtonified version of their Sona for their art trade, just lemme know, kay? Cuz I think I might have caught the Burton Bug)
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #3821 on: August 18, 2015, 12:59:27 AM »
And if anyone else wants a cool Burtonified version of their Sona for their art trade, just lemme know, kay? Cuz I think I might have caught the Burton Bug)

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Pretty please?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #3822 on: August 18, 2015, 01:26:20 AM »
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Pretty please?
IMA ADDIN YOU TO THA LIST!

ART TRADES WOOT WOOT!

jesty

• Tumblr
  • *twirls around*
« Reply #3823 on: August 18, 2015, 01:28:38 AM »
Trinka.... c-can I art trade with you....?
*hides under the bed*
"There is no reason to not believe that advancement and revolution will come in the future" ~Arie Selinger
:hat: :betterhat:                                  :usa: :spain:
I will Survive~ :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #3824 on: August 18, 2015, 01:33:57 AM »
@Trinka: yes i would also like to art trade with you who is this burton person everyone keeps speaking of

Icon drawn by Piney