Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842972 times)

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #3285 on: July 19, 2015, 05:48:50 PM »
It's been a while since Curry told me they was adding the beginning of a page for my self-insert. It's also been a while I had "translate the introduction" on my to-do list. Sooooooo...

Name : Von Jónsdóttir
Nationality : Icelandic
Immunity : Yes
Profession : part healer in the country, part writer (tales) - mage (not trained)
Language : icelandic, a little finnish but rusty

Spoiler: show
   Von is medium-sized, with short black hair and dark eyes. In the real world, she’ll wear something practical, pants, ankle boots, tunic with waiscoat or a sweater, and always her great-grandmother necklace. If she had to wear something else than pants, she’ll chose a long and ample skirt. In the Dreamworld, she wears brown pants, ankle boots, a white tunic with discreet green leaves embroidery, a belt with leather purses and a knife’s sheath, and a green coat in wool fabric, quite ample. The flower crown came later but always appears since the first time it had been put on her head, and the necklace follow her in her sleep.
   Von’s mother died when she was 4 years old, and her father, mage in the military, by an incident on the field 15 years later. She studied, love books and could have spend her life in libraries, but go back close to her grandmother after her father’s death. She learned what the old woman knew about healing plants and took this role as healer from the countryside like «in the old times», while writing stories because she liked books and had read all those which where available around. Sometimes, she was a story-teller during evenings.
   Her dreams began to be recurrent lately, around her 25. More than one year had past before she passed someone inside, and confirm her mage’s abilities. For all of that, Von had never got lessons, and her father was insistent about concealing her talents if it appeared, because he was fearing her daughter could live an as dangerous life as his. Von’s great-grandmother was Finnish in scholar exchange and helded up in Iceland when the Rash begun to spill, which explain suspicions.Through contact with Óli in the Dreamworld, she learns some rudiments of spells and runes, but also to dodge and fight what can want to kill mages when he shows her something else than the place she wake up night after night exists here. Seeing her in a middle of a confrontation make thing to a kind of dance to avoid being touched.
   When the young man don’t come back after an hectic night during which he had commanded her to leave for safety and promised to join her after, she dive into the other world, searching him in spite of the dangers. She had reached the Dreamworld four time, helped by personal herbal preparations to sink faster into sleep, when a mage and a military man make her leave it. They’re recruiting, some persons had mentionned Óli and her as potential mages. She accepts to follow them because they promise help for his friend : some others cases of dreamers, mages who don’t come back, are known.
   The last deposit when she’s introduced at the Academy of Seiđur is never let her sleep alone.

Von can be particularly stubborn and don’t hesitate to put her life in danger if the reason is important for her, as se does to go searching Óli, lost into the Dreamworld.(Feelings might be involved, she prefer avoid thinking too much to that because it rubs salt in the wound.) She’s not supposed to sleep during the day but bypass the ban without qualms if the need becomes imperative. She has a quiet and calm tone even if she’s not healing, is good to listen to people around her, for empathy, and could easily acts like a big sister. If somebody isn’t feeling good for a reason or an other, she will probably try to comfort her/him/... Her sociability fluctuates, nearly reduced to nothing since Óli hadn’t came back, because she’s both worried and angry against her helplessness to act. She’s losing appetite. Her recent travels and fights into the Dreamworld had let her injuries which are very slow to heal and dissapear, so Von is wearing a sweater with mittens to conceal the marks. She hates polo-neck and would rather knit herself a scarf or an hood rather than wear that.
   Von is carrying with her a leather beggar’s bag which contains a few things :
   - a cup (like a Saami cup, in wood, hanged to the bag)
   - plants for simple preparations, in particular the one which allows her to get back to the Dreamworld faster
   - a notebook and something to write
   - a very small saucepan and matches
   - a light mortar and pestle
   - a clean linen, just in case
   - a good knife, if she’s not wearing it at her belt
   - sometimes, wool and needles
   If she might have took books, she would have done. If Von is not with the others or sleeping, she will most likely be found with a skald or, if a book is missing, it will be because she would have borrow it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6xbmsbvczrq5de/Von%20-%20copie.jpg?dl=0
And I can't do better than this, which is less blurred but still I-can't-draw-while-press-on-the-pen. So I abandon drawings to persons who are talented.

Well done for finishing! I love your 'sona, and her bio is very interesting ;) The infodump has been update with your slide; https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13uzpOibHVPGaUXxIKW_8oPM4SiYfZjCU2d4QyFWuPjY/edit#slide=id.gb2e508985_6_1
Enjoy!
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #3286 on: July 19, 2015, 06:00:51 PM »
This is absolute gold and should be made canon in the self-insert SSSSverse

Oh, I second that. For the use of the word 'mageflake', if nothing esle!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #3287 on: July 19, 2015, 06:02:57 PM »
Haaaaaaa, thank Gwenno :) Your enthusiasm might make me blushes every time ^^°
And thank for adding Von on the infodump, KauniitaUnia :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3288 on: July 19, 2015, 06:31:22 PM »
I finished Fimby! (I'm really pleased with the sash)

I've gotta agree with Fim, I think this is the best of your 'sona drawings so far :) Really well-done face, hair, and pose.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #3289 on: July 19, 2015, 07:42:33 PM »
I'm back, and I read the last pages, and THERE'S TOO MUCH AWESOME STUFF!! <3 <3

And mad robin is conquering over the world, one avatar at a time.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Almond-Goddess

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3290 on: July 19, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
Almond-Goddess: eeeeeeee the little falcon helping!!!

and um
i've been reading Nimona

Little falcon is very affectionate towards her ward. <3 And also: NIMONAA! I was around when Noelle started it as a webcomic and I recently got the hard copy in the mail and everything is beautiful!

Awwwwww, the cutest help possible ! :)

(And thank Unlos.)

The falcon is the most cutest of help!

Yeeeeeah, I once couldn't forum for two weeks and this thread had grown maybe 50 pages (it's out of control  :o ). I like how you have hair brushing to keep grounded, and then your birb is like "nooooooo, grounded is so dumb, come off the ground with me!" - you've such a pretty style though, and I can't be the only one who misses your contributions ^_^

Hair brushing (minus an avian companion) is actually one of the things I do to wake myself up in the morning, because bed head=still in sleepy mode. Birb helping with her hair so they can get off the ground faster pretty accurate, haha.

I've been pretty occupied with the collab project background (which is still open for submissions, anyone interested? :D), but once that is finished, I'll make an effort to post here more often.
Tiffany Hayashi | dA | Tumblr

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #3291 on: July 19, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »
you know the feeling when you want to draw your sona and/or other's sona or maybe interaction between them, but you just can't for various reasons?

because this is what I feel every time I am here and see all those arts there!
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3292 on: July 20, 2015, 06:16:12 AM »
Uh-oh, I feel like a terrible person. I have missed too much. But you're cool and I believe you all know that, and my comments are unnecessary.

Finally, I have some free days and I'm home and I've finished two art trades and i'm almost content with the result. Almost.
Curry and Trinka are my victims.

*zombie voice* the hair!
Sorry, a random background as usual. And a strange glowing thing. A firefly probably?

And Mimmi. Her outfit makes me cry. It's too gorgeous, boohoo! It is obviously not envy.

And one important lesson I've learned. Watching disney movies before drawing is the worst idea.

WOwo, these are beautiful!! If this is what happens if you watch a Disney movie before drawing, then I don't think you should stop! Your stuff is usually really nice, but there's just something about the colors in these :D

*tentatively pokes head in*

Goodness, this thread has grown so big! I can't even remember which page I last read. And here's my contribution to the growing pile of artwork:

Ari not the most organized person on the team. But during the expedition, she found that little routines like brushing her hair first thing in the morning (habits of hers back at home) kept her grounded.
I have the same problem xD
Oh, such a cute little birdie, trying to help with the hair~ >w<

I finished Fimby! (I'm really pleased with the sash)

And waah, imgur suddenly doesn't register the stuff I upload into my account even though I'm logged in! What am I doing wrooong..
*EDIT* Pose from syccas-stock
Wow, so fierce!! How can you improve so much between each picture?? =O

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3293 on: July 20, 2015, 06:47:05 AM »
you know the feeling when you want to draw your sona and/or other's sona or maybe interaction between them, but you just can't for various reasons?

because this is what I feel every time I am here and see all those arts there!

What's stopping you? You can do it if you want to.

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #3294 on: July 20, 2015, 01:02:25 PM »
*tentatively pokes head in*

Goodness, this thread has grown so big! I can't even remember which page I last read. And here's my contribution to the growing pile of artwork:

Ari not the most organized person on the team. But during the expedition, she found that little routines like brushing her hair first thing in the morning (habits of hers back at home) kept her grounded.
Aww, CUTE! I'm going to repeat others in saying this looks stupendous, and your style always makes me so happy! We have indeed missed you here, but I understand why you haven't been able to make an appearance. Looking forward to more cute birbs doing cute things with cute falconers in the future!
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #3295 on: July 20, 2015, 01:13:11 PM »

i'm so sorry sectoboss

prime example of haiz getting along with godless swedes

Lolz, love these little goofy comic-thingies you and others keep doing, really helps the whole SSSS sona verse feel more developed and we'll rounded. I feel like I want to get in on this action more, but  I'm worried about getting people out of character, and I always turn every drawing  I work on into some crazy time consuming ordeal O_o
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #3296 on: July 20, 2015, 01:24:32 PM »
nice! I like the direction your style is going in.

Thanks Haiz!

RealRedCloudYT : Actually yeah, I can see a style change (also feels like you haven't been posting for aaaaages so welcome back), it's kinda closer to Minna's stuff now rather than being really anime-esque as it was originally maybe?

(Hi agin though ü)
Yes, before I tried to make the same style as "Hetalia" because that's how I rolled but now I'm trying to make more at my own style, like, trying to put more differences in faces, noses, height, etc. I made a lot of mistakes in here like the height or the hair. Xe's not that tall or have that strange hair I made.

For y'all: As I always say, I really do LOVE the drawings in here! Keep doing this beautiful art ^w^
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #3297 on: July 20, 2015, 01:57:51 PM »
Heeey

After drawing each group, I couldn't get the characters out of my head for a while, so I kept drawing them. I would finish a group picture and just pick a few of the inserts to draw separately because I was unable to stop. So here are all of my "intermission" (is that the right word? I don't know) sketches. It's under a spoiler because it's a lot of stuff.

From the top, left to right:

- Klarissa, Mith, Matthew
- Julian, Sara
- Jón, Rune, Kendall, Kurt
- Alexis, Fimbulvarg, Karri, Arbet
- Elisabet, Maja, Kahli

BONUS:

(This is not an "intermission" sketch, but I couldn't resist)

ME
YEAAH

Okay, so I had an idea (which I'd act on myself, but oops, lack of talent):
Group 3's calm, kinda reserved skalds meeting the freaking terrifying very enthusiastic cleansers in Group 2, because just imagine the personality clashes.

Alexis can serve as a sorta bridge if you would like, he's not as excitable and as big as a brat as I make him out to be. He just tends to mess things up when he tries... well, anything. But I am relatively good at keeping the peace. and she gets bored easily and needs really clear directions sometimes. but i swear she isn't punching people all the time. she knows where to pick her battles. vaguely.

and i could write it
some of it
maybe

"But you have another story you haven't even typed up ye-!"
"STOP."

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #3298 on: July 20, 2015, 02:14:11 PM »
My favourite things about this picture: Dat axe! It's the perfect thing for splitting grosslings in half, how I wish I had one! And the sash, you're really in your right to feel satisfied with it, holy smokes! It actually looks like an actual 3d model of a sash. And lastly: the fact that my ssssona is clearly kicking all of this monstrosity's hams (for once)!

Also on a related note I really think your art has developed by leap and bounds the last months. In my eyes this is your finest piece yet, though I might be completely a tiny bit biased  ::)
!!! Thank you!
aaaaaa WOW
I have to agree that your art has evolved a lot, and this is amazingly epic. The pose with the halberd is perfect, the troll is sufficiently disturbing, the hair texture and determined expression... what a good composition
Also you should be pleased with the hair and the grossling on top of the sash - just saying, the hair looks really realistic (I checked out Sumeri's tutorial after you mentioned it last time because of the super quick improvement and I bet it helped a lot), and the grossling is such a creepy and creative mashup of organic things. It's pretty great :P
I've gotta agree with Fim, I think this is the best of your 'sona drawings so far :) Really well-done face, hair, and pose.
Wow, so fierce!! How can you improve so much between each picture?? =O

Realredcloud: I noticed the new style first thing! It's very nice, and more realistic than the previous (very cute) more chibi-like drawings you've done until now. 

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3299 on: July 20, 2015, 02:17:55 PM »
AAAAHHHHHHHHH SO MUCH ARTS!!!!!!!! I've been away for so long that all I can do is make a blanket statement of how awesome you all are  ;D
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!