Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841903 times)

Almond-Goddess

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #3270 on: July 19, 2015, 01:47:51 AM »
*tentatively pokes head in*

Goodness, this thread has grown so big! I can't even remember which page I last read. And here's my contribution to the growing pile of artwork:

Ari not the most organized person on the team. But during the expedition, she found that little routines like brushing her hair first thing in the morning (habits of hers back at home) kept her grounded.
Tiffany Hayashi | dA | Tumblr

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3271 on: July 19, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
Almond-Goddess: eeeeeeee the little falcon helping!!!

and um
i've been reading Nimona
Spoiler: show

i'm so sorry sectoboss

prime example of haiz getting along with godless swedes
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:19:51 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Fenris

« Reply #3272 on: July 19, 2015, 09:23:35 AM »
Blasphemer! Does your science have a ginger guy riding a chariot driven by goats through the skies while smiting giants with his hammer?

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3273 on: July 19, 2015, 09:33:39 AM »
Blasphemer! Does your science have a ginger guy riding a chariot driven by goats through the skies while smiting giants with his hammer?
... uh ... we used to, minus the flying part. [turns around] Guys, does anyone of you remember which direction the trebuchet pointed when we "got rid of" Wacky Wolfgang ... ?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #3274 on: July 19, 2015, 10:42:56 AM »
It's been a while since Curry told me they was adding the beginning of a page for my self-insert. It's also been a while I had "translate the introduction" on my to-do list. Sooooooo...

Name : Von Jónsdóttir
Nationality : Icelandic
Immunity : Yes
Profession : part healer in the country, part writer (tales) - mage (not trained)
Language : icelandic, a little finnish but rusty

Von is medium-sized, with short black hair and dark eyes. In the real world, she’ll wear something practical, pants, ankle boots, tunic with waiscoat or a sweater, and always her great-grandmother necklace. If she had to wear something else than pants, she’ll chose a long and ample skirt. In the Dreamworld, she wears brown pants, ankle boots, a white tunic with discreet green leaves embroidery, a belt with leather purses and a knife’s sheath, and a green coat in wool fabric, quite ample. The flower crown came later but always appears since the first time it had been put on her head, and the necklace follow her in her sleep.
   Von’s mother died when she was 4 years old, and her father, mage in the military, by an incident on the field 15 years later. She studied, love books and could have spend her life in libraries, but go back close to her grandmother after her father’s death. She learned what the old woman knew about healing plants and took this role as healer from the countryside like «in the old times», while writing stories because she liked books and had read all those which where available around. Sometimes, she was a story-teller during evenings.
   Her dreams began to be recurrent lately, around her 25. More than one year had past before she passed someone inside, and confirm her mage’s abilities. For all of that, Von had never got lessons, and her father was insistent about concealing her talents if it appeared, because he was fearing her daughter could live an as dangerous life as his. Von’s great-grandmother was Finnish in scholar exchange and helded up in Iceland when the Rash begun to spill, which explain suspicions.Through contact with Óli in the Dreamworld, she learns some rudiments of spells and runes, but also to dodge and fight what can want to kill mages when he shows her something else than the place she wake up night after night exists here. Seeing her in a middle of a confrontation make thing to a kind of dance to avoid being touched.
   When the young man don’t come back after an hectic night during which he had commanded her to leave for safety and promised to join her after, she dive into the other world, searching him in spite of the dangers. She had reached the Dreamworld four time, helped by personal herbal preparations to sink faster into sleep, when a mage and a military man make her leave it. They’re recruiting, some persons had mentionned Óli and her as potential mages. She accepts to follow them because they promise help for his friend : some others cases of dreamers, mages who don’t come back, are known.
   The last deposit when she’s introduced at the Academy of Seiđur is never let her sleep alone.

Von can be particularly stubborn and don’t hesitate to put her life in danger if the reason is important for her, as se does to go searching Óli, lost into the Dreamworld.(Feelings might be involved, she prefer avoid thinking too much to that because it rubs salt in the wound.) She’s not supposed to sleep during the day but bypass the ban without qualms if the need becomes imperative. She has a quiet and calm tone even if she’s not healing, is good to listen to people around her, for empathy, and could easily acts like a big sister. If somebody isn’t feeling good for a reason or an other, she will probably try to comfort her/him/... Her sociability fluctuates, nearly reduced to nothing since Óli hadn’t came back, because she’s both worried and angry against her helplessness to act. She’s losing appetite. Her recent travels and fights into the Dreamworld had let her injuries which are very slow to heal and dissapear, so Von is wearing a sweater with mittens to conceal the marks. She hates polo-neck and would rather knit herself a scarf or an hood rather than wear that.
   Von is carrying with her a leather beggar’s bag which contains a few things :
   - a cup (like a Saami cup, in wood, hanged to the bag)
   - plants for simple preparations, in particular the one which allows her to get back to the Dreamworld faster
   - a notebook and something to write
   - a very small saucepan and matches
   - a light mortar and pestle
   - a clean linen, just in case
   - a good knife, if she’s not wearing it at her belt
   - sometimes, wool and needles
   If she might have took books, she would have done. If Von is not with the others or sleeping, she will most likely be found with a skald or, if a book is missing, it will be because she would have borrow it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6xbmsbvczrq5de/Von%20-%20copie.jpg?dl=0
And I can't do better than this, which is less blurred but still I-can't-draw-while-press-on-the-pen. So I abandon drawings to persons who are talented.

Bonus : I was listening to this title while writing "for" her the first time and it fits Von.
/>
(*Sees Feartheviolas's look* No, Vi, I won't add an other title.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 02:31:18 PM by Mélusine »
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #3275 on: July 19, 2015, 02:57:38 PM »
i'm so sorry sectoboss

pffft, nice to see our ssssonas are getting along well :D
Although at the rate it's going, it's more like "my name is Julian and I'm going to fuse magic and science and nothing will go wrong"

Nope, science has no-one so mundane.  ;)
(Raman, Tesla, Fleming and Curie, to pick four out of a pantheon far greater than any we could try to imagine. Julian probably has posters of them on his office walls)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:20:08 PM by SectoBoss »
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3276 on: July 19, 2015, 02:59:55 PM »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6xbmsbvczrq5de/Von%20-%20copie.jpg?dl=0
And I can't do better than this, which is less blurred but still I-can't-draw-while-press-on-the-pen. So I abandon drawings to persons who are talented.

She looks very cute, Mélusine!
Haiz: I hear it in my head already, but please voice-act that thing. It's hilarious ;D
Almond-godess: Such a clever birb Ari has got! Stylish and expressive drawing.
Freddie:  8) I'm glad you like it.

I finished Fimby! (I'm really pleased with the sash)

And waah, imgur suddenly doesn't register the stuff I upload into my account even though I'm logged in! What am I doing wrooong..
*EDIT* Pose from syccas-stock
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 03:02:47 PM by Unlos »

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #3277 on: July 19, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »

Ari not the most organized person on the team. But during the expedition, she found that little routines like brushing her hair first thing in the morning (habits of hers back at home) kept her grounded.
Awwwwww, the cutest help possible ! :)

(And thank Unlos.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #3278 on: July 19, 2015, 04:04:29 PM »

Some doodles I did at 0:30 two days ago. Yep.
Probably going to do some of y'all 'sonas
I have no idea
Can someone notice I changed my style?
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #3279 on: July 19, 2015, 04:14:52 PM »

I'm glad to see a color version of your character Viisikielinenkantele, because -SURPRISE- I was inspired by her and started this a few days ago, but then realized I didn't have enough info to work from... ;)

Sorry for being late, but *EEEE!* Someone was inspired? By me? *faints* I like it very much!

And to all the other artists in this thread: I appreciate all the lovely pictures you're posting. It is hard to see it all when busy in real life but I'm always looking forward to roaming through this thread and staring at all the awesome work when I have time...
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3280 on: July 19, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »

And waah, imgur suddenly doesn't register the stuff I upload into my account even though I'm logged in! What am I doing wrooong..
*EDIT* Pose from syccas-stock

My favourite things about this picture: Dat axe! It's the perfect thing for splitting grosslings in half, how I wish I had one! And the sash, you're really in your right to feel satisfied with it, holy smokes! It actually looks like an actual 3d model of a sash. And lastly: the fact that my ssssona is clearly kicking all of this monstrosity's hams (for once)!

Also on a related note I really think your art has developed by leap and bounds the last months. In my eyes this is your finest piece yet, though I might be completely a tiny bit biased  ::)

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3281 on: July 19, 2015, 04:48:55 PM »
pffft, nice to see our ssssonas are getting along well :D
Although at the rate it's going, it's more like "my name is Julian and I'm going to fuse magic and science and nothing will go wrong"
welp that is absolutely true. I think Haiz miiiight be afraid to jinx it though^^"

nice! I like the direction your style is going in.

aaaaaa WOW
I have to agree that your art has evolved a lot, and this is amazingly epic. The pose with the halberd is perfect, the troll is sufficiently disturbing, the hair texture and determined expression... what a good composition
you'll know where to find me.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3282 on: July 19, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »
i'm so sorry sectoboss

*snicker*
Now Sára really wants to meet this Haiz person, about whom she's heard so much from Julian. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3283 on: July 19, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »
*tentatively pokes head in*
Goodness, this thread has grown so big! I can't even remember which page I last read. And here's my contribution to the growing pile of artwork:

Yeeeeeah, I once couldn't forum for two weeks and this thread had grown maybe 50 pages (it's out of control  :o ). I like how you have hair brushing to keep grounded, and then your birb is like "nooooooo, grounded is so dumb, come off the ground with me!" - you've such a pretty style though, and I can't be the only one who misses your contributions ^_^

It's been a while since Curry told me they was adding the beginning of a page for my self-insert. It's also been a while I had "translate the introduction" on my to-do list. Sooooooo...
Name : Von Jónsdóttir
<finally Von gets a summarised background for the info dump ^_^ Yay!>

Bonus : I was listening to this title while writing "for" her the first time and it fits Von.
<mushishi opening song>
Yayyyyyy ^_^ You've finished the bio, it summarises the main points from the story really nicely, and it adds a few nice extra character aspects on top. Von has a very interesting background and I can't wait until you overcome your writers' block and have more stories to tell :)

Also Mushishi is the most best thing and 100% my favourite anime series ever >"< hah, it's little wonder that people who like Minna's work are also mushishi fans :P

Haiz : Pppppphhhhhht, Haiz and Julian's interactions are some of my favourites. Silly godless swedes :P Agree with Unlos, I'd love to hear this acted out...

Also you should be pleased with the hair and the grossling on top of the sash - just saying, the hair looks really realistic (I checked out Sumeri's tutorial after you mentioned it last time because of the super quick improvement and I bet it helped a lot), and the grossling is such a creepy and creative mashup of organic things. It's pretty great :P

RealRedCloudYT : Actually yeah, I can see a style change (also feels like you haven't been posting for aaaaages so welcome back), it's kinda closer to Minna's stuff now rather than being really anime-esque as it was originally maybe?
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #3284 on: July 19, 2015, 05:29:22 PM »
Almond-Goddess: eeeeeeee the little falcon helping!!!

and um
i've been reading Nimona

i'm so sorry sectoboss

NIMONAAAAAAAAAAA *sobs*
I really need to buy the book hszshkdfhdfjk

This is absolute gold and should be made canon in the self-insert SSSSverse
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz