Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 843131 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #3240 on: July 17, 2015, 01:39:40 PM »
eee thanks for all the nice comments?? If I come up with another "comic idea" while polishing utensils for five hours tomorrow, who knows, maybe more things will hapen

also I'm linking to the origin of The Blart Incident for those of you who weren't around yet and who haven't bothered to trudge through all 200 pages of this thread, because it's wayy back on... page 82? whoa.
I also think it may have been around the time my hair trigger art reflex response started to develop (coincidentally around the time i was introduced to dood leordie. probably not a coincidence). I don't think this comic can even count as an "art reflex" since I actually spent more than five minutes on it. wayy more than five minutes

edit: also here's where we found out The Great Blart was the reason for Lauftrolls accordionness

GOSH DANG IT ALL TO GOLDURN PIECES NOW I'M TEARY. WHY DO YOU DO THIS.
(No offence but you make a terrible mace, pffft.)
Oh NOOO i didn't mean it to be sad
just haiz spiraling into things as haizes usually do
(I think that's a direct quote from fimby but I don't remember where from)

Aw, that's adorable!  Insightful, too.  I think a lot of us have been in Helen's position of being pushed out of our comfort zones and finding it refreshing -- I know I have. 
hahahaha ha my self-insert is pretty autobiographical woops
I know the entire thing kind of started out as a joke but hey nice opportunity for character development, right??
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:45:11 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Kizzy

• Not online everyday :c
« Reply #3241 on: July 17, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »
*throws blanket of appreciation* So many gorgeous new artworks here, so little time to comment ;-;

I've managed to finish an art trade today despite the mind numbness I've been feeling for days, weee. This time it's Gwenno's self-insert!

So apparently I'm one of the many people who decided to draw her grinning :p I hope you like it~

Annnnd here's a quick ref thingie of my self-insert I drew a week ago:

Decided to write and adjust some info on her
Spoiler: show
Name: Alma
Nationality: Swedish
Birth Place: Luleå
Languages: :sweden:, understands Tagalog, trudging through both :finland: and :iceland:, decent Arabic
Immunity: Yes

- Alma was born to a mixed race father and a South East Asian mother.
- A family friend had to pull some strings to get her into the military.
- Alma is socially anxious and extremely reserved. She also hates being touched and scrutinized by strangers. But if she does know and like you be prepare to be swarmed with hugs and glomps.
- Alma can however, engage in conversations when the right buttons are pushed (beware though, she does go on a tangent and spout a lot of unrelated nonsense).
- Her pet cat, Molly, is sarcastic and the sane man (ha!) of the duo, especially during Alma's petty melodramatic moments.
- Molly was unofficially adopted by Alma as a kitten, hence the lack of collar (she can't resist cute things shhh).
- Between saving a limb and a book, it will most definitely be the latter.
- Alma has some knowledge in languages, not just by virtue of being a skald, but by also studying linguistic field. The two fields of linguistics that she currently studying and they are Language Documentation 1 and Discourse Analysis 2.

1 Self-Explanatory. I would imagine that the government would need a linguist to document any sort of languages that might be found in the silent world. Hmmm, bloptrolls.

2 Discourse analysis: "A vast and multi-disciplinary area, with influences from sociology, linguistics, anthropology and psychology, which analyzes language use beyond the sentence or clause level. It examines the patterns and meanings behind connected speech, such as conversational exchanges or written texts in a Courtroom setting or in doctor/patient interaction".
Perfectly in conjunction with Language documentation.
Fluent: :usa:
Decent:
Should know but doesn't: , Visaya
Wants to know: :finland: :iceland:, Persian, Navajo
Forgot: :spain: :france:

Chapter Survive
:chap7:

Instagram (=ↀωↀ=) Tumblr

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #3242 on: July 17, 2015, 03:57:27 PM »
*throws blanket of appreciation* So many gorgeous new artworks here, so little time to comment ;-;

I've managed to finish an art trade today despite the mind numbness I've been feeling for days, weee. This time it's Gwenno's self-insert!

So apparently I'm one of the many people who decided to draw her grinning :p I hope you like it~

Annnnd here's a quick ref thingie of my self-insert I drew a week ago:

Decided to write and adjust some info on her
Name: Alma
Nationality: Swedish
Birth Place: Luleå
Languages: :sweden:, understands Tagalog, trudging through both :finland: and :iceland:, decent Arabic
Immunity: Yes

- Alma was born to a mixed race father and a South East Asian mother.
- A family friend had to pull some strings to get her into the military.
- Alma is socially anxious and extremely reserved. She also hates being touched and scrutinized by strangers. But if she does know and like you be prepare to be swarmed with hugs and glomps.
- Alma can however, engage in conversations when the right buttons are pushed (beware though, she does go on a tangent and spout a lot of unrelated nonsense).
- Her pet cat, Molly, is sarcastic and the sane man (ha!) of the duo, especially during Alma's petty melodramatic moments.
- Molly was unofficially adopted by Alma as a kitten, hence the lack of collar (she can't resist cute things shhh).
- Between saving a limb and a book, it will most definitely be the latter.
- Alma has some knowledge in languages, not just by virtue of being a skald, but by also studying linguistic field. The two fields of linguistics that she currently studying and they are Language Documentation 1 and Discourse Analysis 2.

1 Self-Explanatory. I would imagine that the government would need a linguist to document any sort of languages that might be found in the silent world. Hmmm, bloptrolls.

2 Discourse analysis: "A vast and multi-disciplinary area, with influences from sociology, linguistics, anthropology and psychology, which analyzes language use beyond the sentence or clause level. It examines the patterns and meanings behind connected speech, such as conversational exchanges or written texts in a Courtroom setting or in doctor/patient interaction".
Perfectly in conjunction with Language documentation.

Ehehe, don't worry, so was I ::)

Infodump updated!
YEET

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3243 on: July 17, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »
Oh dear Fimby & Curry! I would hope that it's not being interpreted as actually thinking any teammates are insane vs sane, it's more daredevil vs cautious to me!

Oh no no, I for one don't mind at all. I understand perfectly if some people do have reservations about those terms though. I throw them around absent-mindedly myself, but always in the sense you described. I think for my ssssona the words are very appropriate. I mean, imagine you are a Swedish skald and someone asked you to describe Norwegian hunters (or Swedish cleansers for that matter); most likely words like "crazy/insane/out of their mind" would come to mind for many.

Gotta agree with the othrens, it's refreshing to see Gwenno in a different light. She looks very reliable and more than a little bit ready for serious ham-kicking.

I'M SORRY FOR BRINGING UP THE BLART INCIDENT ALL THE TIME but i accidentally played out an entire dialogue in my head while at work today, and then my art reflex went a little rogue with it.

"I don't do that" *fingers crossed behind back* That's the most trustworthy face of the century right there  :D.

Suffice to say I found this entire encounter so funny my half-healed sides almost split again! I think you single-handedly have ensured that the Blartening is immortalised as the closest thing to"canon" possible in this thread :P. The way Helen desperately tries to hide is plain priceless. I also like how the only thing my ssssona managed to extract from that entire sequence of praise/self-depreciation was "they want to join the group!". Mind your step Helen, you were this close to being press-ganged into Group 2 :P

The only thing that could top this would be if it ended with the Lauftroll spotting them and having panicky flashbacks~

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #3244 on: July 17, 2015, 04:07:52 PM »
The only thing that could top this would be if it ended with the Lauftroll spotting them and having panicky flashbacks~

Can trolls get ptsd?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #3245 on: July 17, 2015, 04:11:07 PM »

*accordion attack sounds*
*Captain Fim reaches for a handy mage mace*
*grabs only a cloak; the mage learns fast and has already evacuated said cloak*
*hasty accordion retreat sounds*
*the troll also learns fast*
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #3246 on: July 17, 2015, 04:14:40 PM »

waaaaaaaaah this is so cool!! I actually love all the Gwenno art because it's always so lively and dynamic. the pretty much only reason I did a less dynamic pose was for variation aha ha...

and your insert character keeps looking cool

"I don't do that" *fingers crossed behind back* That's the most trustworthy face of the century right there  :D.

Suffice to say I found this entire encounter so funny my half-healed sides almost split again! I think you single-handedly have ensured that the Blartening is immortalised as the closest thing to"canon" possible in this thread :P. The way Helen desperately tries to hide is plain priceless. I also like how the only thing my ssssona managed to extract from that entire sequence of praise/self-depreciation was "they want to join the group!". Mind your step Helen, you were this close to being press-ganged into Group 2 :P
ahahaha I'm glad you liked it! i will make the blartening as canon as i can with my own two hands.
I figured your 'sona wouldn't be one for listening too closely to self-deprecation ramble spirals. (haiz does a lot of these.) ((haiz does not have a lot of hiding skills, either. or any field skills. unless the skill is lying on the floor.))

and yes dot eyes is the perfect choice when drawing trustworthy faces. this was definitely my intention and no laziness anywhere in sight during the making of this comic. can i even call it a comic it's just a bunch of doodles

*accordion attack sounds*
*Captain Fim reaches for a handy mage mace*
*grabs only a cloak; the mage learns fast and has already evacuated said cloak*
*hasty accordion retreat sounds*
*the troll also learns fast*
pfhahahaha ha
(haiz is very attached to that cloak though. I don't know when I decided this but I will probably make a backstory for it one day.)

also everyone at the camp as learnt to flee when hearing accordions. it'll be fun if they ever encounter any street musicians playing the accordion after the expedition

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3247 on: July 17, 2015, 04:22:53 PM »

This is really awesome; it looks like a frame from an action sequence in a cartoon :D

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3248 on: July 17, 2015, 04:24:44 PM »

WIP on Fimby, because I wanted to draw the glorious leader of group 2. My arm is starting to hurt so it won't be finished tonight, though.
(I've been childishly intimidateded by Fimby ever since the comment about being able to headbutt everyone in this forum and about how my dialect is ugly but I'm getting over it! (Sorry about that) I really admire Fimby, and have a BIG senpai noticed me reaction whenever she comments on stuff that I've done)

Kizzy, I love the "YOU are about to get BASHED" expression on Gwenno :)

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3249 on: July 17, 2015, 04:30:59 PM »

WIP on Fimby, because I wanted to draw the glorious leader of group 2. My arm is starting to hurt so it won't be finished tonight, though.
Looking great already! That is one mean looking axe!

about how my dialect is ugly but I'm getting over it! (Sorry about that)

I'm pretty sure I've never said that! It's not objectively true anyways.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:34:33 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #3250 on: July 17, 2015, 04:38:13 PM »
Unlos: yooooooooo that looks really epic O: O: O:

I'm pretty sure I've never said that!

sorry

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #3251 on: July 17, 2015, 04:44:36 PM »
Haiz: Is Fimby our expedition's version of Sigrun? ??? (The comic is amazing, obviously)
I'm not Haiz but I would answer : obviously.

That expression is golden, somehow the first thing that came to mind was 'Movie Villain'.
Or "Now the serious things can begin." (I'm pretty sure english might have a sentence for what I try to mean.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3252 on: July 17, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »
ahahaha I'm glad you liked it! i will make the blartening as canon as i can with my own two hands.
I figured your 'sona wouldn't be one for listening too closely to self-deprecation ramble spirals. (haiz does a lot of these.) ((haiz does not have a lot of hiding skills, either. or any field skills. unless the skill is lying on the floor.))

and yes dot eyes is the perfect choice when drawing trustworthy faces. this was definitely my intention and no laziness anywhere in sight during the making of this comic. can i even call it a comic it's just a bunch of doodles
pfhahahaha ha
(haiz is very attached to that cloak though. I don't know when I decided this but I will probably make a backstory for it one day.)

also everyone at the camp as learnt to flee when hearing accordions. it'll be fun if they ever encounter any street musicians playing the accordion after the expedition
It's not "just a bunch of doodles" -- it's sequential art!   Scott McCloud says so.  (All hail.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

mad robin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3253 on: July 17, 2015, 05:11:20 PM »
Uh-oh, I feel like a terrible person. I have missed too much. But you're cool and I believe you all know that, and my comments are unnecessary.

Finally, I have some free days and I'm home and I've finished two art trades and i'm almost content with the result. Almost.
Curry and Trinka are my victims.

*zombie voice* the hair!
Sorry, a random background as usual. And a strange glowing thing. A firefly probably?

And Mimmi. Her outfit makes me cry. It's too gorgeous, boohoo! It is obviously not envy.

And one important lesson I've learned. Watching disney movies before drawing is the worst idea.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3254 on: July 17, 2015, 05:18:39 PM »
Can trolls get ptsd?

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not a psychologist. But humans can:

waaaaaaaaah this is so cool!! I actually love all the Gwenno art because it's always so lively and dynamic. the pretty much only reason I did a less dynamic pose was for variation aha ha...

pfhahahaha ha

They're probably listening, albeit with no small amount of confusion.
Dot eyes are great, they're the perfect combination of adorable and creepy, as if you're staring into the depths of an abyss.

Unlos: yooooooooo that looks really epic O: O: O:

sorry

H-haha, it's true though.