Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841396 times)

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #2940 on: July 05, 2015, 06:41:34 PM »
Yikes, I leave for a day and this thread grows by 5 pages....so much awesome artwork....
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #2941 on: July 05, 2015, 08:11:54 PM »
Well while I was without Internet, wrote this.

It's been a few weeks since Arbet arrived. The others have accepted him, Alexis isn't trying to kill him and is actually allowing him to train her, and nobody's gotten themselves killed. Things won't stay that way...
Spoiler: show
"Hah!" Alexis parried clumsily as Arbet hammered at her, using his height and reach to batter her defenses down. Deflecting another overhead strike, she spun, putting as much power as she could into a strike at his head. A strike that was quickly deflected, sending her and her wooden "sword" flying in opposite directions as she hit the ground with a thud.

Arbet pulled two bottles of water from the small box as Alexis picked herself off the ground. This was their fourth sparring session, and the first in which she'd channeled power unknowingly. That was all it could have been, to get past his guard and come as close as she had to marking him. That meant he could finally start with her real training. If they did spar again, their weapons wouldn't be mere wood. He tossed her the bottle, and she caught and opened it, her throat working as she emptied half the contents in one go.
"It's time I started teaching you more than sword fighting," he told her, and her eyes widened, for he'd spoken in perfect Swedish. He gave her a rare grin: after he'd given up on her learning Icelandic, he'd spent the past week refining his command of the language. With his memory, it was easy.
"Sit down" he told her, and to their mutual surprise, she did. He sat across from her, legs crossed.

"Now, I'm not sure how much use I'll be," he began, "but, given the circumstances, I'm what you've got." She nodded slightly.
"What I've managed to figure out on my own is that our kind of magic, the kind based on will, always runs opposite to our normal abilities. An Icelandic mage like me will always find it easier to use their abilities without preparation, unlike our normal runic magic. A Finnish mage, like yourself, gets the short end of the stick. You're going to have to rely on runos even more than usual, though you get a bit more leeway over exactly what you can use the runo for. Any questions?"
"If that sparring wasn't my real training, what the hell was the point of all that sword fighting?" she asked angrily.
"I was trying to get you to access more than your normal spells."
"What does that mean?"
"Put someone with our kind of power under the right pressure, and they'll use that power to enhance their speed and strength. After that, controlling their regular spells becomes much easier."
"So when I draw energy from myself, I'll be able to do more than before?"
"Correct. And it'll get even easier the more you practice."
A look of puzzlement crossed Alexis's face.
"Waitaminute...what you said about enhancing speed and strength....is that why you are what you are? Could I do that too?" 
Arbet's face darkened. "No." he growled. "What I can do...the price is too great. Nobody else should have to pay it." He stood abruptly. "There is nothing more of use I can teach you. Practice." He strode to a nearby tree, pulling his jacket off the branch he'd hung it on.
"The hell do you mean practice?" Alexis shouted. "You can't just walk off after telling me all this! I thought you said you owed me after I fixed you! And now you're just going to leave? What gives?"
"I'm not going to tell you how to use your own f***ing powers, girl!" Arbet snarled. "I don't even know how you came by them, and I'm NOT going to have you get yourself killed attempting my magic!" He sighed deeply. "You, and you alone are the only person who can understand your limitations, and I won't be responsible for getting you killed by forcing you above those limits. The best course of action left is for you to figure out your true power on your own."
Alexis drew in a deep breath. "Y--"
"Arbet! Alexis!" Karri ran into the clearing.
"What is it, jager?" Arbet asked impatiently.
"There's an Icelandic general back at the camp. They're looking for you, saying, saying stuff about how you're some kind of experiment gone wrong."
"Did they see you?"
"No, I got Maja to cover for me while I headed here."
"Alright. How many with him?"
"Forty, maybe fifty soldiers. Half a dozen mages."
"s***. Don't try to hide I was here: if the bastard asks, I ran off two days ago."
"I'll give them the usual 'escaped test subject' spiel. If it works for that guy who wanted us to send him a live troll, it'll work on anyone." A thoughtful look crossed the redhead's face. "I could give them some bad intel, lead them into that nest of Giants we found." They grinned ferally.
"Danke," Arbet said politely. "But I think I have to deal with them myself. I don't want your guys starting a civil war." He turned to Alexis. "Alexis. There's a munitions crate full of my stuff, in the back of the ammo truck. There's a black box inside. Leave the rest if you have to, but that box must not fall into their hands. I'll be in the church with the intact roof. Meet me there as soon as you can."
"Wait, what's--" Alexis began, but Arbet was already gone.
"f***ing arrogant bastard," Alexis growled. "What the hell do we do know?"
"You, you're going to do what he told you," Karri said. "I don't know what his plan is, but if it keeps general <censored> out of here, I don't care." They started walking back to the camp.

His brief step through the shadows took him to the doors of the ancient church. He entered quietly, walking slowly between the crumbling pews. Reaching the remains of the altar, he clasped his hands and knelt before the massive wooden cross. He began his prayer.
"Allmächtiger Gott, ich danke für diesen Tag. Ich bin dein Schwert und dein Knecht und ich Rat einzuholen, für meine Feinde sind in der Nähe, und ich habe Angst. Sie kommen mit Feuer und Schwert, und meine Magie nicht aufhalten. Es ist die Angst in meinem Herzen, o Herr, und mein Weg ist hart. Bitte, lassen Sie mich zu besiegen, diese Feinde, denn sie Feinde Ihrer treuer Diener sind. Amen.
Finishing, he stood and stretched. Walking to a battered alcove, he leaned back into the shadows, closed his eyes, and waited. The seeds had been planted, and if all went well, this long war of his could at last be over.

TO BE CONTINUED

RESPONSE UNDER THE CUTTY

Alexis has been using a sword since she was six.(dreamworld reasons, yeah) She knows how to use that thing. So yeah, she might have actually beat him he wasn't doing something something science experiment.

Restating what i said like two months ago, Alexis' great-grandmother had magic that wasn't Finnish or Swedish, her grandmother had magic that was a mix of her own and Finnish, it skips her parents generation, Alexis is pure Finnish mage.

Growing up in Sweden, with absolutely no mages around did wonders for Alexis' magic. Mostly because half of what she does with it is impossible because nobody told her she couldn't (or shouldn't), but Alexis didn't even know about the difference between Finnish and Icelandic mages or how they did magic. It just tends to be really really violent when she doesn't use runos.

So basically, when Arbet says "Only you can break your limitations", Alexis thought process is going like "I didn't know jack about limitations for the first thirteen years of my life, dude. Get your head out of your butt."

And she's gonna be side-eying Karri for like an hour for what she did.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Fenris

« Reply #2942 on: July 05, 2015, 08:27:35 PM »
A christian prayer? Well, now Team 2 will just be overrun by trolls...

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2943 on: July 05, 2015, 08:31:03 PM »
Why?
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Fenris

« Reply #2944 on: July 05, 2015, 08:34:39 PM »
Why?
Oh, thats more scandinavian folklore I suppose. In most fairytales, at least Norwegian ones, trolls hunt and smell 'christian blood'.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2945 on: July 05, 2015, 08:35:18 PM »
OK

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #2946 on: July 05, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Oh, thats more scandinavian folklore I suppose. In most fairytales, at least Norwegian ones, trolls hunt and smell 'christian blood'.

Sorry to take this thread a bit OT but that was actually really interesting! In Iceland trolls also hunt humans by the smell of Christian blood, same goes for hidden people (Icelandic elves can at worst be so against humans - especially Christian ones - that they attack houses during Christmas just to kill every human being inside).
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #2947 on: July 05, 2015, 08:48:33 PM »
Arbet knows how to use a sword too. 90% of the time he doesn't bother, but since he can create a sword out of shadow, if he does, run. Besides, he's got his own idea over how Alexis's magic works, though his motivations for trying to train her are not his own....see spoilers below. And he's not saying she needs to break her limitations, it's that he doesn't want her to die horribly trying to do something he can do and she can't.
Sorry about magic screwups.....
Yeah I really should stop writing other characters.....

Fenrir project consisted on two efforts on Arbet: the first was genetic alteration using Rash DNA to give him superhuman strength and speed. The second was far more dangerous. You know those two ravens Odin has on his shoulders? Hugin and Munin, aka Thought and Memory. The latter is literally bound to his soul. Worse, he isn't even aware of it. Munin is not exactly the most intelligent of the spirits, but he is incredibly stubborn and believes Alexis is a god and doesn't even know it. As a result, he's influencing pretty much all of Arbet's decisions, including "training" Alexis.

*pokes arbet*are u ok

"believes Alexis is a god"

(                 •              ‿           •                     )

Icon drawn by Piney

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #2948 on: July 05, 2015, 08:59:24 PM »
Love how so many self-inserts are, like, highly-skilled/trained/modified/etc super-soldiers or freaking mages and mine's just bumbling around tripping over things and being awkward.
Skald of the year.

Fenris

« Reply #2949 on: July 05, 2015, 09:06:57 PM »
Love how so many self-inserts are, like, highly-skilled/trained/modified/etc super-soldiers or freaking mages and mine's just bumbling around tripping over things and being awkward.
Skald of the year.
You and me both. Kurt's a regular soldier doing a fair bit of moonshining on the side and fairly decent at soldiering, shooting and hand-to-hand combat but nothing extraordinary.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #2950 on: July 05, 2015, 09:35:35 PM »
You think Munin's bad? You should see what happened to the other experiments volunteers. The Rash DNA bit worked, the binding of demonic/divine spirits? Not so much.
Arbet'll be fine, if you've got a telepath of some kind. Maybe Alexis could go beat some sense into Munin?

Alexis: I'm honored but on the other hand what the ****

And we have a telepathic cat lying around somewhere. But Alexis is just going to yell at the bird. Or run away. Proably run away then go yell at the bird when it does something. Like chash after her. And she issssss a pretty powerful mage, its just she has no idea what she's doing. Zero. Zlich. Nada. None. (bonus points, Alexis curses in french )

Icon drawn by Piney

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #2951 on: July 05, 2015, 10:17:01 PM »
I don't think there's any jackals in the norwegian zoos, but I'm not positive. I have no idea about the other Scandinavian countries, though. If our expedition is even in Scandinavia? Not to mention that the zoo animals would run a high risk of both being infected, if they miraculously survived, being extremely inbred. And then for the local people to recognize the beast as jackal, and not a big fox? I find it highly unlikely. Still, the story works pretty well, and it only takes deus ex máquina to declare that that happened (but aww, I got all enthusiastic about the badger idea, I still think that would be better)
Karris pose in this one cracks me up. What a glorious pair of leaders!

If this is a jackal beast it is an original jackal from the zoo in Year 0 just that the Rash has kept it alive all these years. No chance of it being inbred because they apparently don't breed once they are turned into Rashbeasts. I am just saying that because of the zoos it is possible to have a few exotic Rashbeasts. Any surviving big cats will probably have died out in the first 25 years due to attrition from trolls and limited genetics. If any survive it is probably a hybrid of lion and tiger. Still the odds of them lasting that many generations and having viable cubs is less than 1%.

Fenris

« Reply #2952 on: July 05, 2015, 10:20:10 PM »
If this is a jackal beast it is an original jackal from the zoo in Year 0 just that the Rash has kept it alive all these years. No chance of it being inbred because they apparently don't breed once they are turned into Rashbeasts. I am just saying that because of the zoos it is possible to have a few exotic Rashbeasts. Any surviving big cats will probably have died out in the first 25 years due to attrition from trolls and limited genetics. If any survive it is probably a hybrid of lion and tiger. Still the odds of them lasting that many generations and having viable cubs is less than 1%.
Can't say anything about jackals in Norwegian zoos (can't say I've ever seen one), but Scandinavia do have Lynxes who are pretty big cats.

freddiethefantastic

« Reply #2953 on: July 05, 2015, 11:52:34 PM »
ah when i heard that there was an apple farming ssssona, i couldn't help but doodle them in some cute apple farming overalls!
Unlos, your sona is so adorable!! I hope you don't mind that I drew them???

I hope I got the hair and skin color right! i am lazy trash, and was really bad about looking for references, i'm so sorry!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:57:31 PM by freddiethefantastic »

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2954 on: July 06, 2015, 12:26:26 AM »
ah when i heard that there was an apple farming ssssona, i couldn't help but doodle them in some cute apple farming overalls!
Unlos, your sona is so adorable!! I hope you don't mind that I drew them???

I hope I got the hair and skin color right! i am lazy trash, and was really bad about looking for references, i'm so sorry!!
I love it! And the overalls are so great, I want them! And the cutest hat, too, thank you! Skin color is right, hair is a teensy bit lighter but I may have had Haiz darken it to try it out?