Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841997 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #2880 on: July 03, 2015, 05:51:28 PM »
@People who maintain the infodump: Can y'all change Clara's age to 19 since I'm no longer 18? :)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2881 on: July 03, 2015, 05:58:49 PM »
Finally had time to make my ssssona. So let me introduce you

Helga Petterson

Age…………………n/a*
Nationality……… Swede
Area of birth…….Mora
Gender…………....Female
Immunity………...yes
Profession……....teacher, scholar
Languages……..:sweden:, :iceland:, :finland:

*presumably in her thirties

She comes from a family of academics. One of her ancestors on her mother’s side was a foreigner, a man from Hungary, who was an exchange student (an Erasmus student, whatever that means) at the time of the outbreak of the rash. Unfortunately his language was forgotten; she can’t even pronounce his name.
Her most valuable possession is an old, handwritten recipe book (volume 2, pastries) inherited from her grandmother, who won it from a farmer at a drinking contest in Bornholm.

She led a comfortable and uneventful life as a teacher in a public school in Mora. She wasn’t particularly good at teaching and had trouble handling adolescents, especially those who showed no interest in her subjects (Known World history; Culture of the Old World). She was often dreaming of quitting her job and opening a small pastry shop – making all the cookies and pastries from the recipe book. As she became more and more fed up with teaching, she finally handed in her resignation; the last straw was the arrival of a pompous and annoying student in her class – a spoiled kid of a formerly wealthy family.

However, instead of opening the pastry shop, she accepted a job at the New Nordic Museum, mainly because she couldn’t resist the temptation of paid trips and field studies in foreign countries. She even started learning Finnish, and when she felt confident enough, set off to Keuruu to do a „participant observation” by living there and study the culture of Finnish mages. Not that she believed in magic, but the exotic beliefs and superstitions of the Finns were always a hot topic among Swedes.

After arriving in Keuruu she had to face two major problems: her Finnish was not sufficient enough to engage in deep conversations; and talking to mages was much harder than she had imagined. Nonetheless, she tried. She was so enthusiastic, that she even developed a silly little crush on a certain mage with the worst haircut. This one-sided feeling was doomed from the start, and disaster struck soon, when – after too many cups of birch sap ale – she asked him out for a walk by the walls, and started joking about sneaking out of the settlement to the romantic wilderness. She couldn’t exactly recall what happened after her joke, but this incident made it impossible to continue her field study and she felt it would be wiser to leave Finland for now…

So, she needs to find another topic for her research (coming of age rituals in the Sognefjord region? traditional wool production in Iceland?) – or,  perhaps it’s finally time to open that pastry shop.

By the way, she believes in magic now…

Oooh, now we're all dying to know what happened in that incident...

BTW, does it make sense that your SSSSona and mine would know each other?  Since we're both in Mora and share an interest in the Old World?  (Not to mention baked goods...)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2882 on: July 03, 2015, 06:02:53 PM »

So, the idea here is that a part of the group is happily returning from a troll hunt with a lot of kills and explosions and fire, to meet the other part of the group that stayed behind to plan something (maybe a new camp site, I don't know).

Oh, that's really awesome! Kinda tells a story doesn't it.

have this sketch of Haiz in uniform
ze finds it hella uncomfortable and is never seen wearing it. but ze owns one. because protocol or something

I think mage-uniforms might be a thing, Reynir isn't an actual team member after all.
I imaged them pronouncing "bring it" with the most squeaky, high pitched voice, it's really funny :P

Also I've been informed that my ssssona has somehow been promoted to group leader. How did that happen? I thought Karri was the leader of group 2.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:31:17 PM by Fimbulvarg »

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #2883 on: July 03, 2015, 06:14:55 PM »
Speaking of group leaders, who is the leader of group 1?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #2884 on: July 03, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »
I think mage-uniforms might be a thing, Reynir isn't an actual team member after all.
Yeah, me too. Haiz isn't exactly a Reynir but they're Reyniring it anyway

I imaged them pronouncing "bring it" with the most squeaky, high pitched voice, it's really funny :P
.........you're not wrong

Also I've been informed that I've somehow been promoted to group leader. How did that happen? I thought Karri was the leader of group 2.
well, I wasn't present at the time, but it seems there was a discussion on leaders a not-too-long while back - some people got appointed without being consulted apparently. But hey, having you as a team captain would make for some.... interesting happenings
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2885 on: July 03, 2015, 06:17:02 PM »
Speaking of group leaders, who is the leader of group 1?

KauniitaUnia.

Yeah, me too. Haiz isn't exactly a Reynir but they're Reyniring it anyway

Why not, there aren't any authority figures there to tell you not to.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:18:46 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2886 on: July 03, 2015, 06:19:04 PM »
Also I've been informed that I've somehow been promoted to group leader. How did that happen? I thought Karri was the leader of group 2.

My reasoning was that Karri's only a teenager and the hunters would naturally be put in leadership positions anyway. I was also just thinking along the lines of Sigrun, that she's the trained hunter, and a general. Dunno how many Norwegian hunters are trained to be in leadership positions though.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #2887 on: July 03, 2015, 06:23:42 PM »

*EDIT* These sketches are running away with me, I had planned useing max 15-20 minutes on each, but I can't seem to keep to that. I'll be able to do these forever, I think!
Lára (RTR):

Hahaha, yeah, okay, no big deal, play it cool, don't freak, don't freak-*screams* *flails* *continues screaming*
THIS IS SO COOL. I LOVE IT SO MUCH thank you thank you thank you, it's PERFECT!
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #2888 on: July 03, 2015, 06:24:07 PM »
My reasoning was that Karri's only a teenager and the hunters would naturally be put in leadership positions anyway. I was also just thinking along the lines of Sigrun, that she's the trained hunter, and a general. Dunno how many Norwegian hunters are trained to be in leadership positions though.

Pssshhh training. I don't think that would stop any norwegian hunter 'specially not Fimby :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #2889 on: July 03, 2015, 06:31:24 PM »

I figured that I'd go along with Ragnarok's suggestions because of this, and ALSO because Karri doesn't deal with pressure well at all. They aren't actually as stupid/dumb as the Our Fearless Leader comics portray them (I thought those were kind of clearly sarcastic, but some people might have missed out on that) but when put into REALLY high-pressure situations, those kinds of doofy things happen, so being unofficial cleanser leader is near to the maximum amount of responsibility Karri could handle. Fimby, are you ok with being leader or shall we open the position up?

Helia, you've been added, and Piney, you've been updated! :D
YEET

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2890 on: July 03, 2015, 06:41:54 PM »
Oooh, now we're all dying to know what happened in that incident...

BTW, does it make sense that your SSSSona and mine would know each other?  Since we're both in Mora and share an interest in the Old World?  (Not to mention baked goods...)

They probably know each other and have common acquaintances - the number of history lovers in Mora must be low after all.

and the incident... she doesen't remember, but it certainly involved a minor snow storm. Well, you shouldn't be pushy with a mage and anger him with stupid jokes, especialy one without a sense of humour...

Curry: thanks, this was fast :)
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2891 on: July 03, 2015, 06:44:49 PM »
I figured that I'd go along with Ragnarok's suggestions because of this, and ALSO because Karri doesn't deal with pressure well at all. They aren't actually as stupid/dumb as the Our Fearless Leader comics portray them (I thought those were kind of clearly sarcastic, but some people might have missed out on that) but when put into REALLY high-pressure situations, those kinds of doofy things happen, so being unofficial cleanser leader is near to the maximum amount of responsibility Karri could handle. Fimby, are you ok with being leader or shall we open the position up?

Oh I'm fine with it, just don't expect them to be 100% goof-free. That being said I'd like them to have a second-in-command. A yes-person (this is the most important qualification) who knows how to motivate, shows initiative, can handle pesky correspondence with skalds/scientists and the likes, can direct the cleansers in a meaningful way .... oh, and if they can communicate with the puffins (Icelandic) that would also be kinda cool.

Maybe that would be something for Karri?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:06:43 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2892 on: July 03, 2015, 06:54:25 PM »
Oh I'm fine with it, just don't expect me to be 100% goof-free. That being said I'd like to have a second-in-command. A yes-person (this is the most important qualification) who knows how to motivate, shows initiative, can handle pesky correspondence with skalds/scientists and the likes, can direct the cleansers in a meaningful way .... oh, and if they can communicate with the puffins (Icelandic) that would also be kinda cool.

Maybe that would be something for Karri?

Sure, sounds good! Karri's Icelandic might not be the absolute best but they understand it fine and can speak it pretty well and will remember more of it as they use it. Definitely yes-person material 8)

Also, goof-free would be boring! Who wants completely businesslike leaders?? not me that's for sure
YEET

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2893 on: July 03, 2015, 07:24:05 PM »
Sure, sounds good! Karri's Icelandic might not be the absolute best but they understand it fine and can speak it pretty well and will remember more of it as they use it. Definitely yes-person material 8)

Great! Consider yourself promoted *high-five*!

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2894 on: July 03, 2015, 07:31:31 PM »
Great! Consider yourself promoted *high-five*!

Woohoo, let's go! *high-five* I can already see amazing things that could happen...

"Karri, I'm considering weaponizing the truck"
"yELL HEAH"

cut to Mad Max: Fury Road
YEET