Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841824 times)

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #2670 on: June 28, 2015, 07:52:19 AM »
Ok, so some people have been curious about Sóley's background, especially with the tarot card that Laufey made earlier. I have decided that I will finally post some of her bio here so that people can know a bit about her and hopefully it will help with the stories and stuff that are being worked on. So yep. Here it is for those of you who were asking me about it. For those of you who weren't, here it is anyway :P

Name: Sóley Elín (goes by Sóley)
Nationality: Icelandic
Area of Birth: Iceland
Immunity: Yes
Profession: Mage
Languages: Icelandic, Danish

Bio (sort of):
Born in rural Iceland to [classified] and [classified] as [classified]
Her father was a skald who spoke several languages, including a few dead old world languages, he taught her Danish because he thought it might come in handy one day, he also taught her to love books
Her mother was a mage and when she noticed that her daughter had an affinity for magic she began to tutor her informally
Sóley began a self study in [classified] at age [classified] and began experimenting with [classified] magic
[classified] went horribly wrong [classified] …. [classified]
Found by [classified] living alone in [classified] …. [classified] for [classified] years
Name changed from [classified] to Sóley Elín, relocated by the government to live at Seiður for proper training
Currently lives alone at Seiður academy in one of the boarding dorms for Norwegian mages (possibly how she met Haiz)
Has two hell demon cats named Sindri and Aska she obtained from [classified] during [classified] …. [classified]
She mostly keeps to herself at Seiður, not talking about her past much, partially because she was forbidden by the government but also because she knows that no one would want anything to do with her if they knew about her past and what she did
Her demon cats sometimes misbehave and get into mischief, therefore she can sometimes be seen chasing them through hall ways yelling in Icelandic and throwing galdrastafir at them, causing small explosions and other minor damage until they stop eating her magic books or whatever it was they were doing that they shouldn’t have been
She recently joined group 1 of the SSSS Expeditions because she wanted to leave Seiður and had previously been prohibited from leaving by the government
She’s a bit shy and nervous to be working with a group for the first time in her life, but feels loyal and dedicated to the group and the mission

Arbet's reaction to her would run along the lines of "at least you don't attract monsters all the time". Then he'd pet the demon cats, and succeed because he's just as demonic as they are.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #2671 on: June 28, 2015, 07:54:41 AM »
(By the way, can I write a little sequel to this with my self insert meeting Julien right after this happens? Karl is a Catholic priest.)

Go for it! Julian himself is an atheist so I don't think Karl's going to be converting him anytime soon, but I'd be interested to see a priest's take on this all the same  :)

And I'm glad people liked the story!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2672 on: June 28, 2015, 07:55:09 AM »
Well, I can't draw or do art or nothing (as I've mentioned before) so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right thread. But I wrote a little story about my self-insert Julian (Swedish researcher, cares little for magic or gods, thinks trolls are cool provided they're caged adequately) catching the Dalahasten train down to Oresund.

It's not perhaps the most cheerful thing in the world, I'm afraid. But I like to think the ending’s optimistic:

Remembrance

As for why he’s catching the train, that will hopefully be answered in a later story featuring Haiz’s ssssona as well. (This is all taking place a year or two before the big self-insert expedition brewing in the other threads.)

I hope you guys like it!

Spoiler: show
For anyone curious, I've based Hugo Adamsson off the old guy on Page 145 who seems remarkably unfazed that a giant's trying to get a free ride on his train.

Rather sad....and also inspiring. Prayer is just as effective from a Bible as from a runo, evidently.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2673 on: June 28, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »
I see no end to my sadness after reading this. Great work.

(By the way, can I write a little sequel to this with my self insert meeting Julien right after this happens? Karl is a Catholic priest.)

Karl's a priest? Which expedition group is he in?

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #2674 on: June 28, 2015, 07:58:38 AM »
And I'm glad people liked the story!
You know, you couldn't only write stories which makes people cry. You're made to write short stories.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #2675 on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:56 AM »
*silently checks in*
*thinking to write more about his self inserts*
*not sure if he can or anyone want to hear*

*want to be part of this whole thing but no idea how to do that*
*goes back to silently watching again*
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2676 on: June 28, 2015, 08:06:53 AM »
WRITE, damn you. Hell, any story here is good, given time. You'll do great.

Mélusine

« Reply #2677 on: June 28, 2015, 08:07:53 AM »
*silently checks in*

When I was writing a short novel instead of drawing my self-insert, I was pretty sure nobody would be interested. Well, I'm not sure everybody had been interested. Just try ? :) We have nothing to lose by trying.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #2678 on: June 28, 2015, 08:26:56 AM »
When I was writing a short novel instead of drawing my self-insert, I was pretty sure nobody would be interested. Well, I'm not sure everybody had been interested. Just try ? :) We have nothing to lose by trying.

*waves hand like a crazy person* I'M INTERESTED!!!!! :D I was actually thinking myself of doing some writing on this. I've written stuff in the past (including a few sketchy nano novels) and I have done both solo novel writing and partner novel writing. But anyway. I WANT TO READ IT (IN FRENCH IF THAT IS AN OPTION) *more excited arm flailing*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #2679 on: June 28, 2015, 08:36:19 AM »
*waves hand like a crazy person* I'M INTERESTED!!!!! :D I was actually thinking myself of doing some writing on this. I've written stuff in the past (including a few sketchy nano novels) and I have done both solo novel writing and partner novel writing. But anyway. I WANT TO READ IT (IN FRENCH IF THAT IS AN OPTION) *more excited arm flailing*
^^° Ahem. It's what you can read in the "Self-Insert Expedition" first post. But I can send you the short novels in french if you want :)
When nobody or only two or three persons reacts, I'm the first to think I'm awfully bad/it wasn't interesting, which is stupid, but I understand you, Martti.

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #2680 on: June 28, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »
my english sucks for that, I would draw but no time for doing it that much, I can kind of tell a bit with bad english, but I can't write a story or something.

also I would like to make them having at least 1-2 friends from same area or something. seeing the world being so tiny now, like only few hundred people living there, that means almost everyone knows eachother in same place.
I am trying to check this. I don't know how much updated this is, some of them has so few informations
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #2681 on: June 28, 2015, 08:50:25 AM »
^^° Ahem. It's what you can read in the "Self-Insert Expedition" first post. But I can send you the short novels in french if you want :)

Oh I didn't realize you were meaning that *derp* I should totally pay attention more :P I would like to read it in french though if that is an option. I am taking my university courses in french next year, so all the practice I can get is good. (I will warn you though, I don't know when I'll have wifi for the next few days, so if I don't make replies this week it's because of travelling in Japan and lack of wifi and not because I'm not interested)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #2682 on: June 28, 2015, 08:57:48 AM »
my english sucks for that, I would draw but no time for doing it that much, I can kind of tell a bit with bad english, but I can't write a story or something.

also I would like to make them having at least 1-2 friends from same area or something. seeing the world being so tiny now, like only few hundred people living there, that means almost everyone knows eachother in same place.
I am trying to check this. I don't know how much updated this is, some of them has so few informations
My english isn't good enough, that's why I asked for beta-readers, and they had been kind enough to correct my mistakes :) Don't say you can't !

Oh I didn't realize you were meaning that *derp* I should totally pay attention more :P I would like to read it in french though if that is an option. I am taking my university courses in french next year, so all the practice I can get is good. (I will warn you though, I don't know when I'll have wifi for the next few days, so if I don't make replies this week it's because of travelling in Japan and lack of wifi and not because I'm not interested)
Well, I'm thinking about writing something new, but I'm not sure yet... (With who ? When ? ...) And it will always be in french at the beginning, so... ;)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #2683 on: June 28, 2015, 09:05:37 AM »
You know, you couldn't only write stories which makes people cry. You're made to write short stories.

Ehhh... I'm actually quite a cheerful person in real life (or so I like to think). It's just that everything I write seems to want to turn miserable really quickly. :(

*silently checks in*

DO IT. Trust me when I say I was nervous about getting involved in this thread, considering how art-heavy it is and how that stops me from doing art trades and the like. But everyone really does seem to be interested in everyone else's ssssonas here.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #2684 on: June 28, 2015, 09:16:33 AM »
I was away all day yesterday, and since this thread has grown by six pages, thank you all for the comments on the trade!