Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841529 times)

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #345 on: April 02, 2015, 10:03:22 PM »
In the previous version of Strelokov's profile he replaced the antennae mast on some vehicle with a pneumatic cannon that could pin a giant to a building like a giant kebab.

unfortunately this was done without authorization and the giant was not dead on impact and still needed to be killed along with everything else that had been woken up.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #346 on: April 02, 2015, 10:07:27 PM »
In the previous version of Strelokov's profile he replaced the antennae mast on some vehicle with a pneumatic cannon that could pin a giant to a building like a giant kebab.

unfortunately this was done without authorization and the giant was not dead on impact and still needed to be killed along with everything else that had been woken up.
That is awesome.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #347 on: April 02, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »
Newly sketched up. I started an hour and a half ago, and that includes the time spent arguing with the scanner and fireworks.

Your interrogator (or his/her skald) has beautiful handwriting.  A Renaissance prince's scribe would approve of that chancellaresca.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solokov

« Reply #348 on: April 03, 2015, 12:07:03 AM »
Your interrogator (or his/her skald) has beautiful handwriting.  A Renaissance prince's scribe would approve of that chancellaresca.

To be fair I cheated and used a font.

Edit: Opening it up to requests, if anyone wants a simmilar dossier looking page for their character let me know and provide a headshot/mugshot and appropriate profile data and I'll put it together for you.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:20:39 AM by Solokov »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #349 on: April 03, 2015, 02:08:21 AM »
Alright. So. Sunflower. I have taken a stab at your OC.

Spoiler: show

Since you are not in the military, and considering that we have very little graphic information (aside from some bystanders), and what we do have is rather dull/modern-ish, I had to improvise for what you are wearing.

This is the base.

The top portion was transformed into a more modern-ish vest/waistcoat. The design were adapted to be sunflowers.

I gave you a cane because I was unsure how else to convey the information that you have a bad leg. For some reason you came out looking like an Edwardian schoolteacher. Miss Frizzle bled into the character concept, I am afraid. No colouration at this point because I frankly do not know where to start with regards to that. One day I'll make the jump to digital, but since I can barely draw in analog, this will have to wait, but the colour scheme is gold, blue, white, green. I considered giving you a sun hat, but considering you mentioned the bun-thing I tried to include that. My hair-game fell short for this and I had a hard time convey your particular hairstyle.

So yeah.

I tried.

Edit: how do I spoiler.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Solokov

« Reply #350 on: April 03, 2015, 02:28:08 AM »
Spoiler tags don't exist. They were a myth like Ice.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #351 on: April 03, 2015, 02:38:29 AM »
Alright. So. Sunflower. I have taken a stab at your OC.

I had to improvise for what you are wearing.

This is the base.

The top portion was transformed into a more modern-ish vest/waistcoat. The design were adapted to be sunflowers.

I gave you a cane because I was unsure how else to convey the information that you have a bad leg. For some reason you came out looking like an Edwardian schoolteacher. Miss Frizzle bled into the character concept, I am afraid.

No colouration at this point because I frankly do not know where to start with regards to that. One day I'll make the jump to digital, but since I can barely draw in analog, this will have to wait, but the colour scheme is gold, blue, white, green. I considered giving you a sun hat, but considering you mentioned the bun-thing I tried to include that. My hair-game fell short for this and I had a hard time convey your particular hairstyle.

Oh my goodness, this is WONDERFUL!  Best Easter present ever!!  Thank you so much!

You had no way of knowing, but I always envied the Scandinavian traditional dresses (like the bunad Haiz drew Sigrun wearing) and regretted not having anything that cute in my WASP-y ethnic background.  (One of my aunts is Swedish-American and wears the most adorable dress from Dalarna on holidays.)  Wish granted!   :D

I like the cane idea.  IRL my "leg injury" is just a knee sprain that never 100% healed, so sometimes it's sore and wobbly; I have to favor it in yoga and dance class.  But I thought in the Known World they might not have as sophisticated physical therapy, and/or there would be a lot more risk of injury.  Besides, I figured that would explain why I'm not charging off into the unknown like all you brave young people.  (Like Taru, I could say "I would die immediately.  And I, personally, do not want that.")

You also happened to hit on a color scheme I like.  As you may have seen in the reference photo I posted, I have reddish-blond hair and green eyes, so I wear a lot of blues and greens.  AND the hair looks very pretty!

Again, thanks so much for the wonderful picture!

The very grateful
Sunflower
"More Information Than You Require"

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #352 on: April 03, 2015, 09:08:31 AM »
Edit: how do I spoiler.

Deal with spoilers is this: forum doesn't support them at the moment. One of the first things that were requested to be added, but there were complications. As far as I'm aware, though, we should have working spoiler codes after the server move later on! For now, though, just resize the images to smaller sizes instead to get a similar effect.
Am notified of private messages via email.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #353 on: April 03, 2015, 02:29:08 PM »
being kindly pestered sometimes makes you do weird things...

have fun with it...

Edit: as requiered:

Age.........................28
Nationality................Norwegian
Area of birth.............Unknown
Gender.................... Female
Immunity..................Yes
Profession................Skald: Behaviorist/Beast tamer
Languages...............:norway: :sweden: :uk: :sign:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 03:18:01 PM by kex »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

SolarPoweredGirl

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • A normal kid who isn't that normal
« Reply #354 on: April 03, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »
Psst @SolarPoweredGirl, I think your last should end with -sdatter rather than -ssen if it's supposed to be a patronym.
So like Yarasdatter? Or just Yarsdatter?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #355 on: April 03, 2015, 04:38:31 PM »
So like Yarasdatter? Or just Yarsdatter?

For an Icelander it would be Yarasdottir.

SolarPoweredGirl

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • A normal kid who isn't that normal
« Reply #356 on: April 03, 2015, 06:50:09 PM »
For an Icelander it would be Yarasdottir.
ah I see.
Here is my completed SSSSona

Name: Maja Yarasdottir
Profession: Mage/Author. Writes spellbooks and sells them at different ports and markets. Obtains new magical knowledge through interviewing other mages she meets.
Pets: Snowy Owl (Bryndis)
Backstory: Maja's true ethnicity is Spain, but she has Icelandic citizenship and name, as her ancestors moved there coincidentally a year before the rash epidemic started. Her mother is a Cleanser, and her father is a Skald. At the age of seven, Maja found an abandoned Snowy Owl chick in her backyard, and took it in. Her family never pushed her to do anything she didn't want to, but she knew they wanted her to be a Cleanser. Instead, she leaned more towards her father's reputation. But her poems always turned out to be about magic, and her stories always starred and adventurous mage. It was then she discovered her true passion.

Almond-Goddess

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #357 on: April 04, 2015, 01:00:18 AM »
How about port security, picking off potentially infected rats and mice (and other critters) that come off ships?  That's always been a well-known vector of infection, going back to the Black Death and beyond.
I agree with this, the last time we had a plague over a third of the population died. Would not want to see that repeat, like, ever (we can argue that the plague was probably carried here by humans rather than rats but it did arrive via a ship). All ships go through rigorous quarantine and are most likely checked a few times on the way to Iceland but it pays to be careful.

The sea creatures Pessi mentioned might also be a hassle, especially seals because they like to occasionally wander on dry land. Maybe there could be work at making sure all the small islands around and near Reykjavík definitely are grossling-free?

A tardy response, but this is a great suggestion! Thank you! I'm still in the progress of fleshing out her backstory, and I'm sure to take this into consideration.
Tiffany Hayashi | dA | Tumblr

Almond-Goddess

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #358 on: April 04, 2015, 01:09:05 AM »
Hey everyone!

I've been perusing this thread, and saw a lot of you drawing each other's characters, some of whom are determined to draw all of them! I wanted to jump the bandwagon too, but I realized quite quickly that I don't really have the energy to draw that many characters, and it would be really unfair of me to pick favorites.

So, I decided that art trades– a drawing of your character in exchange for a drawing of mine– would be a good solution to this. Is anyone interested?
Tiffany Hayashi | dA | Tumblr

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #359 on: April 04, 2015, 01:13:27 AM »
Hey everyone!

I've been perusing this thread, and saw a lot of you drawing each other's characters, some of whom are determined to draw all of them! I wanted to jump the bandwagon too, but I realized quite quickly that I don't really have the energy to draw that many characters, and it would be really unfair of me to pick favorites.

So, I decided that art trades– a drawing of your character in exchange for a drawing of mine– would be a good solution to this. Is anyone interested?

Ooh I would be so up for this! I have gotten very behind on my dumbo headshots but your character is so cool and I'd love to draw her doing something fittingly cool as well?
YEET