Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 843473 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #4905 on: July 05, 2016, 08:32:04 PM »
Work on the superhero AU fanfic is proceeding, with the next installment introducing several more SSSSonas into the mix.  Noodly Appendage's Sonja appears again, and I introduce Ana Nymus' Ana and Martti Kakkiainen's Riika & Martti to the mix.  First appearances also by Gwenno and Sunflower's Sara Hållander.

Poor disoriented Reynir.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/16812994
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #4906 on: July 05, 2016, 09:04:01 PM »
Work on the superhero AU fanfic is proceeding, with the next installment introducing several more SSSSonas into the mix.  Noodly Appendage's Sonja appears again, and I introduce Ana Nymus' Ana and Martti Kakkiainen's Riika & Martti to the mix.  First appearances also by Gwenno and Sunflower's Sara Hållander.

Poor disoriented Reynir.

A good read! I eagerly await the next installment.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #4907 on: July 08, 2016, 08:21:37 PM »
I liked it. It's set before the ssss'sona expedition right?

You're welcome to use Strelock in a future installment if you want.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4908 on: July 15, 2016, 12:53:14 AM »
I liked it. It's set before the ssss'sona expedition right?

You're welcome to use Strelock in a future installment if you want.

Correct, it's set in Y90, while the RP is in Y96.  Also, as an AU, it's a bit out of time anyway.  Hmmm, Strelock, eh? A bit of havok will ensue, who knows?

AAAAnnnnd without further ado, here is another installment, with more Gwenno and an appearance by Unlos' Una:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/17026392
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:55:22 AM by wavewright62 »

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4909 on: July 15, 2016, 05:49:40 AM »
Nice! I'm looking forward to reading the next installments!

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4910 on: July 15, 2016, 08:57:07 AM »
The tradition of superhero AU excellence continues.

Since it's Y90, if you did want to use Arbet, you'd have to find a way to get him out of Switzerland, where he would currently be learning rudimentary German, figuring out alchemy, and hitting trolls with sharp objects.

But you're welcome to use him, altering chronology as you wish.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:24:38 AM by Ragnarok »
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #4911 on: July 15, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »
Hm, Madeline would not have run away yet, but would be a teenager in the middle of her skald training. If you'd like to work her in, you're welcome to.
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #4912 on: July 15, 2016, 11:32:21 AM »
AAAAnnnnd without further ado, here is another installment, with more Gwenno and an appearance by Unlos' Una:
Oh gosh, it appears I didn't comment on this last time (I thought I had, sorry >"<). This has been real fun to read and I love how much background you're putting into it and all the juicy little clues of what's going to happen next ^_^ I'm a little behind on the scriptorium proper, but I'll be sure to read the next chapter when it comes out! You've done a great job of showing Gwenno, and as far as I can tell, everyone else as well. I was really impressed when reading it as you captured exactly how I'd see her reacting to things :)
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Solokov

« Reply #4913 on: July 15, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »
Correct, it's set in Y90, while the RP is in Y96.  Also, as an AU, it's a bit out of time anyway.  Hmmm, Strelock, eh? A bit of havok will ensue, who knows?

Awesome installment.

Wait the RP is in 96?.....*adjusts chronometer so that Strelock's been there since Y89 instead of just 4 years prior to the RP as otherwise it wouldn't work if Strelock were there before Strelock was actually there*

Spoiler: infodump • show

Let's see...at that point Strelock hadn't recovered much in the way of maging (also the spirits aside from shadow are subtle enough at that point to not be noticed, and the fox doesn't talk or roam far, so it's assumed to be a benign guide spirit than anything else), so basics are they stick to themselves, however the rifle carried by strelock is the M4 variant with the rune-carved suppressor (so it stands out compared to the usual weapons carried by security). most likely this would be after going through y90 sere after whoever I came up with to run (I think it was someone by the name of anderson) the scouting op for Tyr's hand requested to have strelock fast tracked into the y90 variant of special operations.

Strelock would either be at superhero-boot camp on short term security, or as a test of their scouting capabilities, most likely anyway.

the floofy cloak and mask are mandatory, however if no bandanna, hair's cut short and black/brown at this point in time.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4914 on: July 15, 2016, 10:32:35 PM »
The tradition of superhero AU excellence continues.

Since it's Y90, if you did want to use Arbet, you'd have to find a way to get him out of Switzerland, where he would currently be learning rudimentary German, figuring out alchemy, and hitting trolls with sharp objects.

But you're welcome to use him, altering chronology as you wish.

*scratches chin*  Challenging, but maybe.  I can see a how, and possibly a why.  Actually easier to work in than the Y96 version, TBH. 

Awesome installment.

Wait the RP is in 96?.....*adjusts chronometer so that Strelock's been there since Y89 instead of just 4 years prior to the RP as otherwise it wouldn't work if Strelock were there before Strelock was actually there*

Spoiler: infodump • show

Let's see...at that point Strelock hadn't recovered much in the way of maging (also the spirits aside from shadow are subtle enough at that point to not be noticed, and the fox doesn't talk or roam far, so it's assumed to be a benign guide spirit than anything else), so basics are they stick to themselves, however the rifle carried by strelock is the M4 variant with the rune-carved suppressor (so it stands out compared to the usual weapons carried by security). most likely this would be after going through y90 sere after whoever I came up with to run (I think it was someone by the name of anderson) the scouting op for Tyr's hand requested to have strelock fast tracked into the y90 variant of special operations.

Strelock would either be at superhero-boot camp on short term security, or as a test of their scouting capabilities, most likely anyway.

the floofy cloak and mask are mandatory, however if no bandanna, hair's cut short and black/brown at this point in time.

I deliberately leave out a lot of description of character design.  Maybe as a teenager I read too many trashy novels that reveled in describing the glorious hair and eye colours of the characters.  I keep in only the most rudimentary bits, orrrr those bits that have potential plot ramifications. 
Spoiler: show
 Those clogs are not just a comedic device.

That said, I consider it a challenge to my creativity and will endeavour to include Strelock.  Armaments... not a strong point of mine. Hmmmm.

Hm, Madeline would not have run away yet, but would be a teenager in the middle of her skald training. If you'd like to work her in, you're welcome to.

Ditto Madeline, who I actually was working in in a different capacity in the Silent World, but which tbh wasn't convincing me.

Colour me challenged, folks.  Thanks for the feedback!

Spoiler: "My own SSSSona" • show
I can think of abso-blimmin-lutely no way to include Helle-Mai in her little backwater farmlet in Finland anywhere in this scenario.  Irony, eh?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:35:58 PM by wavewright62 »

Solokov

« Reply #4915 on: July 16, 2016, 01:10:09 PM »

I deliberately leave out a lot of description of character design.  Maybe as a teenager I read too many trashy novels that reveled in describing the glorious hair and eye colours of the characters.  I keep in only the most rudimentary bits, orrrr those bits that have potential plot ramifications. 
Spoiler: show
 Those clogs are not just a comedic device.

That said, I consider it a challenge to my creativity and will endeavour to include Strelock.  Armaments... not a strong point of mine. Hmmmm.

Rifle isn't important then, it's just one of the things that makes strelock stand out despite all attempts by them to the contrary. At least you didn't read GRRM as a teen otherwise you'd be sick of descriptions of feasts.

Spoiler: literary device enclosed • show
so instead of a gun it's chekov's clogs?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4916 on: July 16, 2016, 04:20:19 PM »
Rifle isn't important then, it's just one of the things that makes strelock stand out despite all attempts by them to the contrary. At least you didn't read GRRM as a teen otherwise you'd be sick of descriptions of feasts.

Spoiler: literary device enclosed • show
so instead of a gun it's chekov's clogs?

*chuckles*  I like it.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4917 on: July 17, 2016, 03:37:37 PM »
*scratches chin*  Challenging, but maybe.  I can see a how, and possibly a why.  Actually easier to work in than the Y96 version, TBH. 

Spoiler: y90 description • show

He's younger, obviously, and still working in the mercenary business. No facial scars, and the rest of him looks less like he lost a fight with a set of sentient, homicidal kitchen knives.

PM me for more info on what y90 Switzerland is like, if your method of bringing him in is what I think it'd be.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4918 on: July 17, 2016, 03:57:36 PM »

Poor disoriented Reynir.

I'm delighted to see Sara Hållander recalled from Limbo!  Thanks for giving her something to do, Wavewright, while I was occupied with life and adulting and so forth. 

It's a wonderful story so far.  I"m looking forward to future installments!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solokov

« Reply #4919 on: July 17, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »
I'm delighted to see Sara Hållander recalled from Limbo!  Thanks for giving her something to do, Wavewright, while I was occupied with life and adulting and so forth. 

I'm reminded of an insurance commercial's tagline.. "life comes at you fast" or something to that effect. Welcome back sunflower, how's life?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,