Poll

What do you think the state of things is beyond Scandinavia?

More of the Silent World: Trolls, beasts and giants everywhere
7 (16.7%)
A few groups of humans, but mostly wilderness
14 (33.3%)
USA and other superpowers are relatively intact
0 (0%)
Scorched Earth: nothing, not even grosslings, is alive
0 (0%)
Plenty of places like Scandinavia, but isolated
21 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 03, 2015, 03:28:37 PM

Author Topic: Survivor communities outside the known world  (Read 229497 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Survivor communities outside the known world
« Reply #465 on: April 04, 2015, 05:36:03 PM »
Somebody stop me.

You HAVE to do a whole children's book of post-apocalyptic Texan nursery rhymes!  This is hilarious!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #466 on: April 04, 2015, 07:34:22 PM »
Well, I just read through almost this whole topic, and every single idea I have had has already been suggested - except one.
The Hydropolis underwater hotel in Dubai is a good option, because it is like an underwater village, it has lots of space to house survivors, and there are fish and marine plants all around to serve as a food source. It does not have many opportunities for weapons, though.  :-\  It has some boats at the hotel, so I don't see why an area on the mainland couldn't be cleansed to gather resources from, with which some weapons some would be made. The only problem is whale trolls...
 :)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 07:42:36 PM by Luth Nightbreeze »
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #467 on: April 04, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
I played Bioshock. Underwater cities are just a horror scenario waiting to happen.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #468 on: April 04, 2015, 07:45:10 PM »
True. I've never played Bioshock, but I have seen some gameplay, and underwater cities might not be so good. Still, it might survive for a while... probably not past year 90, though.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #469 on: April 05, 2015, 10:29:56 AM »
Well, I just read through almost this whole topic, and every single idea I have had has already been suggested - except one.
The Hydropolis underwater hotel in Dubai is a good option, because it is like an underwater village, it has lots of space to house survivors, and there are fish and marine plants all around to serve as a food source. It does not have many opportunities for weapons, though.  :-\  It has some boats at the hotel, so I don't see why an area on the mainland couldn't be cleansed to gather resources from, with which some weapons some would be made. The only problem is whale trolls...
 :)
I actually think this sounds very plausible! It would be interesting too. In an enclosed space like that it would take only one breach to kill everyone, so they'd be extremely paranoid (is it paranoia if it's justified?) and the necessary 'group before the individual' mentality for enforced communal living like that would be fascinating to see played out.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #470 on: April 05, 2015, 02:47:57 PM »
My reasoning is that if the disease can jump freely from and to species as diverse as bats, wolves, rabbits, mooses, primates, seals and whales, there's very little reason to assume it cannot jump to the rest of the mammalian inventory.

On the flipside, if we assume it doesn't affect xenarthra, it would likely imply it also doesn't affect afrotheria (elephants, aardvarks, dugongs, hyraxes and a few other things), since those are at least as distant from the main group of mammal as those are from xenarthra.

Somewhat relevant: not only rabies cases have been reported in opossums, but these have been linked to a few cases of airborn transmission of rabies.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Mayabird

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #471 on: April 05, 2015, 09:57:02 PM »
Dunno about anybody else, but I would love to see herds of elephants successfully battling trolls and giants, helped out by immune humans, who are setting fires or generally doing things to control the movements of rashified rhinos and hippos so the elephants can take them down.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #472 on: April 05, 2015, 09:59:10 PM »
On the flipside, if we assume it doesn't affect xenarthra, it would likely imply it also doesn't affect afrotheria (elephants, aardvarks, dugongs, hyraxes and a few other things), since those are at least as distant from the main group of mammals as those are from xenarthra.

Excellent!  Then we can have a post-apocalyptic "Babar," with Blessed Pachyderms (and aardvarks) peacefully co-existing in sub-Saharan Africa with the few immune humans (and other vulnerable mammals) in small kingdoms surrounded by ravening predators. 

EDIT:  I missed Mayabird's comment, but I totally agree!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:18:23 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

kapitod

« Reply #473 on: April 06, 2015, 08:51:38 AM »
Potential survivor communities in Britain in Year 90.  I was thinking the collective population of the Isles would be between 20-50,000 survivors.  That might seem like a lot but since the population of the UK was over 63 million in 2011, not to mention the 5 million in Ireland, I think this is pretty fair.

I had just been thinking about this over the weekend, though I meant to add a few areas in the Lake District in England and Northern Wales.  The colours are basically the same as on Minna's map, pink being safe zones and red being areas of risk.

If no one minds I shall attempt to do a speed description of this world.

Mainland Britain was completely swamped by the number of infected but managed to establish several safe zones in the Scottish islands and highlands before the began to completely abandon the more heavily populated areas in England.  Cooperation with the Irish government meant that several thousand Britons were successfully evacuated to Ireland whilst the Royal Navy prevented potentially infected ships from making landfall.  The Irish government meanwhile was able to buy some time, moving large numbers of their own civilians to safe zones in the rural west of the country.

For a time it seemed like the British government would be able to survive, holding the line in Scotland and pushing south in the winter to reclaim more land.  However the Irish containment was breached, a Royal Navy ship went rogue and let through several boatloads of refugees, defending them from the Irish navy's attempts to sink them before it itself was sunk by the British military.  Attempts to kill or quarantine the refugees proved insubstantial with Irish military personnel becoming infected, members of the British army were brought in to help contain the outbreak in Dublin, just as the Scottish outbreak was beginning to get worse... DUH-DUH-DUH-DUUUNNNN!!!

So in Year 90 the British government survives in Stornoway, on the Isle of Lewis.  It's mostly focused on the surviving royal family since it's hard to maintain a democracy when your population survives in very isolated communities and also goes through periods of rapid growth and decline (no contraceptives plus lots of famines and Rash outbreaks makes things messy).  Things are sort of neo-feudal with the leaders of survivor communities making deals to work with the central government in exchange for protection.  The population in Scotland has a lot of English and Lowland Scot descendants, much to annoyance of the Highland Scots who are now a minority.  There's still some Scottish nationalism, but they're mostly ignored as idiots.

The surviving Irish government is under the protection of the British one, but they are very isolationist and don't trust their northern neighbours as far as they could through them since the British are blamed for the Irish outbreak.  There's also a lot of infighting between Irish survivor communities, especially between those that have large English or Northern Irish populations.

I meant to add about the English and the Welsh.  There's a few bases in the Lake District, they were originally small forgotten survivor communities that managed to recontact the government about 30 years after losing contact.  The civilian and non-immune population were evacuated to the recently cleansed Isle of Man (the Trolls abandoned it once they ate all the livestock).  The surviving Welsh communities were discovered by Irish treasure hunters in Year 86, the British government is trying to talk them into rejoining the rest of the survivor communities but nearly 100 years of isolation has left them with a great distrust of the outside world.

I'm done.

snotra

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #474 on: April 06, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »
Interesting story about what might have transpired in Ireland. However, I remember from another forum that on of the Irish folk there claimed the Irish air force is basically a bad joke(with a bunch of transport helicopters, a few propellor fighters nobody is even still supposed to be flying and all that) and that the army is rather under-equipped in terms of transportation possibilities. It has however been a rather long time since I last read anything on that forum, so my memory might be a bit fuzzy. Then again, we don't really know what the Irish army has been up to until year 0, so this assesment of mine might be entirely incorrect.
As for further reclamation attempts, would Hadrian's wall or the Antonine wall have any future strategic value in terms of land barriers stretching across the narrow points of the Scottish region in the future? It feels kind of like the reverse of the scenario in the film Doomsday, where the entirety of Scotland was cordoned off.
Languages: :netherlands: :uk:
I should know these, but rusty: :germany: :france: :italy:
Butchering at every try, but still bragging about it: Middle English (sort of)
To be added some time in the future when time and money can facilitate them: :vaticancity: :denmark: :norway: :iceland: :sweden: :finland:

kapitod

« Reply #475 on: April 06, 2015, 07:50:32 PM »
Interesting story about what might have transpired in Ireland. However, I remember from another forum that on of the Irish folk there claimed the Irish air force is basically a bad joke(with a bunch of transport helicopters, a few propellor fighters nobody is even still supposed to be flying and all that) and that the army is rather under-equipped in terms of transportation possibilities. It has however been a rather long time since I last read anything on that forum, so my memory might be a bit fuzzy. Then again, we don't really know what the Irish army has been up to until year 0, so this assesment of mine might be entirely incorrect.

Oh yes our navy and airforce are terrible.  However I look at it this way, Britain has one of the largest military forces in Europe, and if anyone wants to attack Ireland then Britain is going to view that as a direct threat to their security, which they have done since they first arrived in Ireland (the French and Spanish have been trying to use us as invasion bases for centuries).  So why do we need to waste money when the British will protect us for free??  Therefore if the Irish government will let British civilians live in Ireland during the crisis then the British government will naturally lend their military to helping prevent outbreaks in their flank.

Though the Irish army is meant to be pretty good for its size, however it just didn't have the numbers to successfully prevent the outbreak reaching critical levels.  I imagine that the ancient warrior/mercenary bands have reemerged, travelling from town to town, fighting trolls in the summer and each other in the winter.

As for further reclamation attempts, would Hadrian's wall or the Antonine wall have any future strategic value in terms of land barriers stretching across the narrow points of the Scottish region in the future? It feels kind of like the reverse of the scenario in the film Doomsday, where the entirety of Scotland was cordoned off.

As for Scottish defense the line would have to be drawn north of the Glasgow-Stirling-Edinburgh chain across the middle of the country, which is also the narrowest point and where the Antonine wall originally existed I believe.  But to defend such a line you'd need huge numbers in reserves and resources and I just don't think the British army would have wasted them on a meat grinder like that.  But maybe by like Year 150 if the survivors of Britain find the Nordic council before they kill each other and make a push south they could restablish the wall.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #476 on: April 07, 2015, 04:42:48 AM »
The underwater hotel situation sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen to me, count me out.  I don't want to be trapped down there when some troll/beastie is slowly oozing its' way through what remains of the air ducts and the people who have already succumbed to the rash are becoming part of the new architecture.

As for the survival in the British Isles idea.  Much as I like the thought of my home surviving, I just don't see it happening, definitely not on the scale you are suggesting.  As I've said before, this country is far too international to make any attempt at quarantine effective, plus our politicians are too timid to enact martial law to maintain order.  If there were survivors it would just be tiny groups that were forgotten about/passed over rather than a population the size you are suggesting.  Still the thought of us reverting to a monarchy makes me smile.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #477 on: April 07, 2015, 06:36:50 AM »
Kapitoid, that's some pretty interesting speculation about the state of the British Isles you've got there (nice map too). While I'm not sure whether I share Koeshi's concerns about martial law being viable in the UK or not, I do have one question: how have the British and the Nordics not made contact yet? I'm looking at google maps now and the areas you've marked as safe/cleansed aren't too far away from one of the shipping lanes on the Page 66 map. I would have thought at least one British trawler or something might have run across a Nordic ship in 90 years or so.

Also, why on earth did that navy ship you mentioned go rogue?

P.S. I'm not trying to nitpick, I swear! I'm just curious :)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #478 on: April 07, 2015, 06:42:11 AM »
Well I guess the ship going rogue was something to do the crew rebelling over the killing of civilians, even if they are potentially carrying the Rash.

As for my martial law point, it was that I do not believe that our politicians would enforce it in time for it to be effective.  They are too indecisive and concerned with opinion polls, by the time the situation was bad enough for them to act decisively it would be too late for the situation to be recoverable.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #479 on: April 07, 2015, 07:03:06 AM »
I really don't know whether or not the UK could impose martial law quickly and decisively or not. My guess is they'd try and lock down the ports and airports and the channel tunnel pretty quickly but nationwide martial law might indeed be slow to be implemented. What I'm more concerned with is that such an act would be utterly meaningless when the rash can be transmitted via any mammal (or so it seems). Martial law can keep people from moving around the country, but all it would take is one infected rat or dog or something like that to slip out and that's that.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3