Author Topic: Character Development: Emil  (Read 44289 times)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: Character Development: Emil
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2015, 01:22:32 AM »
I get the feeling that on this latest page Sigrun is hoping for one of 3 things to happen, 2 of which would progress Emil significantly IMO:
1) Lalli & Emil are bait (no significant development)
2) A "The Last Starfighter" scenario where, when confronted with an enemy, Emil emerges as a great fighter (significant development)
3) (my personal preference) A "Lambert the Sheepish Lion" moment where, when confronted with Lalli's imminent death, Emil goes berserker on the troll.

One thing the last few pages have made clear is that Sigrun is trying to get Emil to step up, as we know he will eventually. The question is how/when it'll happen.

Thoughts?

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2015, 02:18:36 AM »
One thing the last few pages have made clear is that Sigrun is trying to get Emil to step up, as we know he will eventually. The question is how/when it'll happen.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that Emil's not going to step up this early in the game. I mean this is still the first day on the job, and Emil doesn't seem like the kind of person, to me, who would suddenly be able to jump into badass-action-mode. Of course adrenaline could do this, but it's not likely to make him a super-confident fighter. My guess for the next events would be sorta Emil and Lalli as bait, but Emil might try to fight the troll back and be ultimately ineffective.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2015, 02:49:58 AM »
My thoughts are that Emil's not going to step up this early in the game.

I mean, this is still the first day on the job, and Emil doesn't seem like the kind of person, to me, who would suddenly be able to jump into badass-action-mode. Of course adrenaline could do this, but it's not likely to make him a super-confident fighter.

That makes sense to me.  I think we'll see things play out sort of the way they did on the Death Train:  Emil will be torn between terror prudent self-preservation and thinking he needs to "protect" Lalli.  If he does something awesome, it'll be out of sheer panic, like when he punched the Death Train giant in (one of) its faces. 

But there are some variables here:  He *has* now faced a giant and survived.  Whether that makes him more confident or paralyzed with fear, who knows?  He also wants to impress Sigrun (beyond his usual need to look good in front of everyone he meets). 

Further, there are thousands of readers pressed up against the fourth wall, hoping for him to bust out and BURN BABY BURN.  At this point, he's practically carrying Chekov's Flame-Thrower.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:42:22 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2015, 03:39:16 AM »
I get the feeling that on this latest page Sigrun is hoping for one of 3 things to happen, 2 of which would progress Emil significantly IMO:
1) Lalli & Emil are bait (no significant development)
2) A "The Last Starfighter" scenario where, when confronted with an enemy, Emil emerges as a great fighter (significant development)
3) (my personal preference) A "Lambert the Sheepish Lion" moment where, when confronted with Lalli's imminent death, Emil goes berserker on the troll.

Thoughts?

What are you talking about? :P Lalli will probably kill the beastie in secs :P Using magic. Leaving Emil speechless.
Fluent:
OK:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2015, 05:59:59 AM »
What are you talking about? :P Lalli will probably kill the beastie in secs :P Using magic. Leaving Emil speechless.
If it's a tiny beast, maybe. He did nothing to the troll on the train (although he was being restrained at the time).

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2015, 08:09:52 AM »
If it's a tiny beast, maybe. He did nothing to the troll on the train (although he was being restrained at the time).

Yeah, Minna said that in the train he couldn't use magic or do soul-guiding because of reasons. Maybe he has to find a nature spirit or something? (Also, I keep wondering why his Kuutar spell was overwhelmed by the weather).
Even if he doesn't use magic though, I'm sure he can slice into ribbons with his knife.
Fluent:
OK:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2015, 11:40:41 AM »
Yeah, Minna said that in the train he couldn't use magic or do soul-guiding because of reasons. Maybe he has to find a nature spirit or something? (Also, I keep wondering why his Kuutar spell was overwhelmed by the weather).
Even if he doesn't use magic though, I'm sure he can slice into ribbons with his knife.

Do you happen to have a link for that? I don't go into the Disqus comments much...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2015, 12:34:12 PM »
Do you happen to have a link for that? I don't go into the Disqus comments much...
[Expands lots on Minnas Disqus page]

... umh, I remember the statement that there were reasons, too, but it apparently wasn't on Disqus ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2015, 01:58:32 PM »
[Expands lots on Minnas Disqus page]

... umh, I remember the statement that there were reasons, too, but it apparently wasn't on Disqus ...

It wasn't :P
http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=174
It's in tha page description!
Fluent:
OK:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2015, 02:03:17 PM »
It wasn't :P
http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=174
It's in tha page description!
Ahh, okay! I do remember reading that, now. Thanks!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »
Here I go thinking again…
I already put this in the page comments, but I'll restate it here: What if Emil never gets over his panicky fear of grosslings, but, when confronted by one, goes into a psycho-zombie-like kill-kill-kill-kill mode, utterly slaughters the grossling, and lapses into near catatonia afterwards, like on the train?
(This has the added benefit of maybe having Lalli as the only one who can bring Emil out of the kill-kill-kill mode.)

Paul Ferris

« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2015, 04:56:53 AM »
Here I go thinking again…
I already put this in the page comments, but I'll restate it here: What if Emil never gets over his panicky fear of grosslings, but, when confronted by one, goes into a psycho-zombie-like kill-kill-kill-kill mode, utterly slaughters the grossling, and lapses into near catatonia afterwards, like on the train?
(This has the added benefit of maybe having Lalli as the only one who can bring Emil out of the kill-kill-kill mode.)

FEED MY SHIIIIPPP.

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:21:47 AM by Paul Ferris »
Learning: :denmark:
Can read and sort-of speak: :france:
Native: :australia:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2015, 05:09:08 AM »

Paul Ferris

« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2015, 05:21:09 AM »
Yes. I want Looney to feed my ship by somehow making this wonderful idea come true.
Learning: :denmark:
Can read and sort-of speak: :france:
Native: :australia:

BrainBlow

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2015, 10:36:32 AM »
I wonder what sort of relationship Emil and Sigrun are going to be fostering.
Sigrun seemed to take a liking to him right off the bat, which I'm kinda assuming is because she probably enjoys the attention that the inexperienced young-uns give her.
She also seems to be generally understanding and accepting of his inexperience and clumsiness, knowing that a gentle yet firm hand is the best way to bring about his potential.
I'm assuming that the "gentle, but firm" approach is probably a standard in the Norwegian armed forces, as simply trying to instill bone-tough discipline just won't cut it when your enemy is an unending legion of Eldritch abominations. It'll whittle away at your humanity and sanity, slowly but surely.
Some gallows humor and learning an enjoyment for "the hunt" is probably how Norwegians go about it just to keep their minds intact.
I imagine this mindset is eventually going to start rubbing off on Emil due to Sigrun's influence.

Still, the relationship they'll build until then will be interesting to see. Sigrun is probably the best thing to happen to Emil. Ever.

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: