Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 31767 times)

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2022, 05:33:34 PM »
Yep, he's a bit of a jerk, but he has quite the way with words.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #226 on: July 28, 2022, 07:03:24 AM »
Shaderunners Act II chapter 3
Spoiler: show
Page 5 Wonderful exit, Dom! You are absolutely right. You chose to be part of this, already got marked by it, it’s time Ezra stop hovering!

Although as a mother of 16 and 18 year old boys, I don’t actually agree that a possibly 17 year old is mature enough to make a decision to embrace a life of crime. Even a Robin Hood type life of crime. But maybe after living on his own in a foreign city since 13 yo is different (probably is).
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #227 on: July 28, 2022, 06:52:15 PM »
Agreed, and regarding...
Spoiler: show
the "Yes Domigo, I'm sure a big speech will change his mind" situation on p. 36: Who else do we know who gives big speeches and whom Ezra hates, and hates that he loves, and definitely doesn't want Dom to emulate (for both their sakes)?
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #228 on: August 01, 2022, 09:48:30 AM »
It's August! But if I can squeak in one more Shaderunners comment: I've only made it as far as Act II chapter 7 page 26, but can I say how much I'm loving Pam? I really like characters like her, though they need more emotive characters to bounce off lest they just be boring. But seeing her get to be the emotional core of an arc is a treat. EDIT: Just finished up the chapter and, uh, maybe "treat" is the wrong word. My heart is sad. :(

With that said, on to August's pitch. This month, I'm pitching a comic about an indoctrinated princess and her adventure centering on a water-themed god! Why does this sound familiar?

Suihira: The City of Water, by Riana Dorsey, stars Princess Wahida of the kingdm of Iona. Iona is known for being the only major source of water in a vast desert created by the war between the gods of water and fire. Akia, the goddess of water, is said to have abandoned the world, but first left Iona's life-giving spring as a last gift to humanity.

Iona's duty of protecting the water and providing it to the rest of the world has been privatized by agreement with an organization called the Water Guard. I'm sure it's fine.

Wahida was raised on fairy tales about Akia and her holy city, Suihira. Wahida and her older sister, Hadima, bonded over praying to Akia. Wahida is somewhat neglected due to her parents' focus on training up Hadima to be the next ruler, while Wahida is just to be married off to solidify a political alliance. Though increasingly infrequent, these prayers to Akia seem to be nearly the only thing they can do to spend time together. When the time comes for Wahida to marry a prince who doesn't actually want the marriage any more than she does, Hadima says that the prayers to Akia were always just a game to her and it's time for Wahida to grow up and do her duty.

Wahida retreats into the depths of the palace, where Akia(?) appears to Wahida in a chamber she didn't previously know existed, which appears to be the source of Iona's water. Akia gives Wahida a mission to find Suihira, which she immediately accepts, running away from her home and family. At this time, Iona's water supply dries up. I'm sure it's fine.

To hide from her family and the water guard, Wahida takes the alias Dija, after an author believed to be the progenitor of the Suihira legend. A couple desert-dwellers named Serrin and Leo figure out who she is, and though they initially consider turning her in for the reward (in their defense, they're poor) they soon become friends and aid her in her journey to find suihira.  Of course, the water guard is still after them, and all if I described all the complications that strained their relationship, I'd be giving massive spoilers. Suffice to say that Dija does not make good decisions.

In terms of content warnings, the about page says this:
Suihira: The City of Water is a fantasy drama comic recommended for ages 12+ for mild profanity, partial nudity, some violence, and intense situations.

The partial nudity refers mostly to Akia, whose human-shaped apparition resembles a naked woman whose glowing hair always conveniently covers the important bits, as well as one other god whose apparition we've seen once so far, from the waist up (he's bald). There's also a scene where Dija has to figure out how to give herself a sponge bath, which one commenter described as the least sexy shower scene ever, and which even I, somewhat of a prude, found unobjectionable.

As for violence, there's a bit of gunplay, a hostage situation or two, and some water guards implied to have been killed between pages by a tidal wave. In the desert. Weird. I'm sure it's fine.

The artwork is very easy on the eyes, with expressive and slightly cartoony characters and some gorgeous environmental work. (What can I say? I have a type.) The linework often has a looseness to it that I don't always like, but it's nothing distracting. It's like a six or seven out of ten at worst. Here are some examples:

What I really love about this comic is the character dynamics. Dija feels so real. She's so deeply flawed, and it can be frustrating but it's so believable that she wouldn't immediately be a better person after the first time she learns something. She has to come to terms with the fact that she's hurt people she cares about and she isn't really helping to fix it, but she wants so badly and tries so hard to do the right thing even when that ends up making things worse. I love her. We're not as deep in the other characters' heads as we are in hers, but we still feel their pain and frustration over the whole situation.

I'd say the character writing is every bit on par with SSSS's. Dija reminds me a lot of Reynir, naive and desparate to be helpful but not knowing what to do and sometimes making things worse.

Is there anything I don't like? Not exactly, but like I said, Dija can be frustrating. That's absolutely not a critique of the writing, but your mileage will vary as to whether it makes for unpleasant reading.

If that sounds like your cup of tea, then check out the comic at suihira.com or start reading from page 1.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 12:08:18 PM by Linebyline »
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #229 on: August 02, 2022, 08:42:36 AM »
Thanks linebyline! I’m terribly ill with a flu but will modify Suihira to the openin post. At some point.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2022, 10:06:36 AM »
Jitter, hope you're recovering OK!

dmeck7755

« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2022, 11:00:11 AM »
Thanks linebyline! I’m terribly ill with a flu but will modify Suihira to the openin post. At some point.

Please take care and get better quickly....
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2022, 01:00:10 PM »
Seconded! Get well, Jitter! Peace and love and soup to you, butter good, etc.!
- Simcha Fisher

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #233 on: August 03, 2022, 08:00:00 PM »
Jitter, I hope you're feeling better!

I've not been keeping up with things here much, but I came across this little animated short https://youtu.be/nWORBZIEjbI and thought this'd be as good a place as any to share it. It's called Widdershins but has nothing to do with the web comic.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2022, 12:26:13 AM »
Get well soon Jitter!
And Vulpes, that animation is a delight.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2022, 12:11:18 PM »
Finally updated the opening post, sorry about that!

September is reserved for Gwenno, who wants to take October?

Update update
In the meantime, have you guys noticed that Barbarous is back? It feels like it’s going very slow, but it’s going. And Blonde Sunrise is updating again, yay!

Shaderunners on the other hand is on unplanned break because the artist broke her arm in July. Phantomarine is on planned break until October but is dropping “ask character” pages every now and then.

Warm Blood hasn’t updated since 2021, but the last page says it will be back. No indication when.

Widdershins and White Noise are updating once a week as per their normal schedule, and Girl Genius is of course appearing three times a week, as is Freefall.

The rest of the works were already finished, right?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 12:16:26 PM by Jitter »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #236 on: August 11, 2022, 12:31:51 PM »
I watched Vulpes’ animation too! Dystopic future for Mechanicsburg, with clanks having taken over!

Turnstylus

• Uuuummmm....
« Reply #237 on: August 17, 2022, 04:27:05 PM »
I've not been keeping up with things here much, but I came across this little animated short https://youtu.be/nWORBZIEjbI and thought this'd be as good a place as any to share it. It's called Widdershins but has nothing to do with the web comic.

I watched the animated short shared by Vulpes as well. Thank you - very enjoyable! Full of wit and humor, and beautifully rendered!

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #238 on: August 23, 2022, 01:18:44 PM »
Just to add to Jitter's recap:

The Sword Interval is completed, but Ben Fleuter recently dropped his next comic, The Beekeeper's Tale.

Suihira is currently updating, recently back from hiatus.

Vainglorious was the example, not an official comic of the month, but it is also recently back from hiatus.

And I'm kinda 0-for-2 in terms of pitching comics that generate discussion, but I have another pitch pre-written for a completed comic that I'll be happy to post if nobody claims October.
- Simcha Fisher

dmeck7755

« Reply #239 on: August 23, 2022, 04:20:31 PM »
Just to add to Jitter's recap:

The Sword Interval is completed, but Ben Fleuter recently dropped his next comic, The Beekeeper's Tale.

Suihira is currently updating, recently back from hiatus.

Vainglorious was the example, not an official comic of the month, but it is also recently back from hiatus.

And I'm kinda 0-for-2 in terms of pitching comics that generate discussion, but I have another pitch pre-written for a completed comic that I'll be happy to post if nobody claims October.

I really liked Sword Interval.  Looking at the prologue page for The Beekeeper's Tale looks interesting.

One thing that i noticed about his art, is what I would describe as jigsaw puzzle-like.  he can cram a lot of images in one panel. You get to the last quarter of the page and there is so much too look at.   (The last page in sword interval had images like that also)

Suihira is a bit random for me.  I like the story so far..
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa