Author Topic: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play  (Read 46969 times)

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
Re: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2020, 11:20:18 AM »
"I can agree to be in charge, if you all agree that you want me to be. Knowing and considering all the facts I have already said about myself." She says that in both Norwegian and Icelandic. First decision should probably be to delay the journey for a day until they at least make an attempt to find another person to be their captain.

Astrid stops petting the cat and offers a shy smile to Saga.

:no: "That works for me! I'm sure you'll do great."

With the office quite packed by Leo's accounting, but with the door opened partially he is close enough to hear enough of what is being said, despite the din of the dockyards. He begins offering Dísa the play by play of what is being said inside, basically parroting what is being said inside, in Icelandic because that's the only language Leo is absolutely sure that Dísa can speak, concurrently he also dropped his feigned "bad" Icelandic.

:is: ".... the captain of the boat backed out and it doesn't sound like anyone inside knows how to pilot one. There's still an opportunity to back out and vanish since no one's seen your face."

The large woman manages to cross the room and approach the navigator without knocking anything or anyone else over. 

With Marriane no longer blocking the slightly open door, Saga glances over and notices two pairs of feet standing still behind it.

:no: "Are we expecting more crew members? Because I think there are some more people outside."
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2020, 11:33:14 AM »
Crap... alright, so she made at least one person angry already, and two members of the expedition are clumsy. At best.
She takes a deep breath, considering what has been said.
The captain and her would have had to constantly consult with each other to decide on what to do. She never met the man and had no clue how he worked, or if he would even listen to her input. Seeing his character from how he quit the expedition, she is actually somewhat relieved she doesn't have to work with him.

She knows enough about the route and dangers ahead of them.

She has engineers and helmswomen whose input she will consider when making decisions.

Doc... made sense.

That, or she is insane.

Both? Probably not.

Welp.

"I can agree to be in charge, if you all agree that you want me to be. Knowing and considering all the facts I have already said about myself." She says that in both Norwegian and Icelandic. First decision should probably be to delay the journey for a day until they at least make an attempt to find another person to be their captain.

Harald nods. :no: "You're captain," he says declaratively. He stands, puts on his pack, and picks up his anvil. :no: "I will see you all at Dock Five," he says.
Anyone with particularly sharp eyes might notice the slightest of limps with his left leg as the big man leaves the office and makes his way to the dock.

Harald finds his way to Dock Five easily.
The ship is, honestly, slightly larger than he expected. It's nearly fifty meters from bow to stern. There's a single mast in the center of the deck with a square-rigged sail, currently furled, and a large cabin just ahead of it with glassed-in windows that looks to be the bridge. Near the rear of the vessel, a depth charge launcher has been set up on a rotating turret. Near the bow, the entrance to the lower deck is set in a forecastle. It has the traditional dragon figurehead on the bow.
Harald boards the vessel. Some of those watching could swear they see the ship tilt slightly as he walks on board and opens the door to the lower parts of the ship.
The ship is clean and well-maintained inside. The stairwell only leads to another bulkhead door, and opening it reveals the large storage hold. It's only half-full, but that half contains enough food to feed ten people for well over a year and plenty of spare parts, ammunition, and everything else an expedition might need. Harald quietly assesses everything as he walks through the hold, then head through another portholed door to find himself in a well-appointed, if slightly cramped, kitchen. Refrigerator, both microwave and traditional ovens, stovetop, sink, countertops and cabinets, all electric and all in the best of condition. The kitchen opens up into a sort of common area, with tables and chairs and a cabinet full of books and board games. In an alcove offset from the rest is a radio set with a stool bolted to the floor. Harald gives it an approving nod before moving on.
Past the kitchen is a corridor lined with doors, six to each side. The first three doors on each side open to show well-made, if relatively small, cabins.  The fourth pair of doors show bathrooms in similar condition - toilet, sink, shower, and a mirrored cabinet. The remaining doors are more cabins.
Past the corridor, Harald finds a largely empty room that, judging from the few pieces of large machinery, seems to be intended to be a workshop of some kind. The big man sets his pack and his anvil down in one corner, and opens the door at the far end.
Harald looks at the engines, decides he has no metric for understanding how good they are beyond 'these things are big and make boat go vroom', and closes the hatch.

The ship clearly in good condition, Harald sets to securing his tools and setting up in the workshop.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2020, 12:47:36 PM »
With the office quite packed by Leo's accounting, but with the door opened partially he is close enough to hear enough of what is being said, despite the din of the dockyards. He begins offering Dísa the play by play of what is being said inside, basically parroting what is being said inside, in Icelandic because that's the only language Leo is absolutely sure that Dísa can speak, concurrently he also dropped his feigned "bad" Icelandic.

:is: ".... the captain of the boat backed out and it doesn't sound like anyone inside knows how to pilot one. There's still an opportunity to back out and vanish since no one's seen your face."

Dísa has already basically forgiven Leo for pretending to not speak Icelandic, since a) from what she sees the room inside is beyond stuffed with people she doesn´t know, and b) she doesn´t hear a lot but what she does hear is in Norwegian and she doesn´t understand a word. So the translating is much apprechiated.

":is: Oh, that doesn´t sound good... But it´s fine, I waited the last four years for an opportunity like this, I´m not leaving!"

As the people inside apparently decide on a new captain, the tall woman steps out of the doorway at last and Dísa can see in the room. There are other people who don´t look like super strong soldiers. That is a relief, she was scared she may be utterly unfit for the place they would be going. And a familiar face too, finally! Though calling Leif "familiar" may be an overstatement, as the only time she ever spoke to him was when he hired her. The nervous-looking woman next to him who does all the talking and is the new captain now according to Leo´s translation must be Saga. Leif mentioned she did lots of the organizing-part of the mission.

With Marriane no longer blocking the slightly open door, Saga glances over and notices two pairs of feet standing still behind it.

:no: "Are we expecting more crew members? Because I think there are some more people outside."

Oh, the red-haired woman seemed to have noticed them standing outside. She had been playing with a Grade B cat whose fur-color wasn´t really definable until now. She also speaks Norwegian, so who knows what she´s saying. But she seems to be smiling, so Dísa awkwardly smiles back and instinctively takes a step away from the door to be out of sight. The moment she does it she realizes that that is stupid, she wants to go here. But before she can go back the man with the anvil steps outside and walks towards Dock 5. Now there is significantly more space in the room.

She smiles at Leo. ":is: They saw us. I think that´s our cue to go in."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:08:34 PM by Mirasol »
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2020, 12:57:32 PM »
Dísa has already basically forgiven Leo for pretending to not speak Icelandic, since a) from what she sees the room inside is beyond stuffed with people she doesn´t know, and b) they are speaking Norwegian and she doesn´t understand a word. So the translating is much apprechiated.

":is: Oh, that doesn´t sound good... But it´s fine, I waited the last four years for an opportunity like this, I´m not leaving!"

As the people inside apparently decide on a new captain, the tall woman steps out of the doorway at last and Dísa can see in the room. There are other people who don´t look like super strong soldiers. That is a relief, she was scared she may be utterly unfit for the place they would be going. And a familiar face too, finally! Though calling Leif "familiar" may be an overstatement, as the only time she ever spoke to him was when he hired her. The nervous-looking woman next to him who does all the talking and is the new captain now according to Leo´s translation must be Saga. Leif mentioned she did lots of the organizing-part of the mission.

Oh, the red-haired woman seemed to have noticed them standing outside. She had been playing with a Grade B cat whose fur-color wasn´t really definable until now. She also speaks Norwegian, so who knows what she´s saying. But she seems to be smiling, so Dísa awkwardly smiles back and instinctively takes a step away from the door to be out of sight. The moment she does it she realizes that that is stupid, she wants to go here. But before she can go back the man with the anvil steps outside and walks towards Dock 5. Now there is significantly more space in the room.

She smiles at Leo. ":is: They saw us. I think that´s our cue to go in."

:is: "I'll wait for the room to clear a bit more... too cramped for my tastes."

Leo didn't budge.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2020, 01:05:48 PM »
:is: "I'll wait for the room to clear a bit more... too cramped for my tastes."

Leo didn't budge.

Dísa wasn´t really sure what to do now.

":is: Uhm... ok. I think I´ll go inside now. Should I tell them you´re here if someone asks?"

Solokov

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2020, 01:11:28 PM »
Dísa wasn´t really sure what to do now.

":is: Uhm... ok. I think I´ll go inside now. Should I tell them you´re here if someone asks?"

He shrugs. :is: "If someone asks let them know I'm here to report to work for Leif but it's too crowded in there."
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2020, 06:19:28 PM »
He shrugs. :is: "If someone asks let them know I'm here to report to work for Leif but it's too crowded in there."

Alright then. Dísa takes a deep breath and confidently walks into the slightly chaotic meeting. The confidence lasts about to the point where she´s inside the room.

":is: Hello? Sorry to barge in like that, and sorry for being late, I had a little trouble finding the right place, and then there was some confusion over whether there was a queue or if we were supposed to just go in..." She should really stop talking... "Uhm, either way, my name is Dísa Ánnsdóttir, and I´m your mage. Nice to meet you all."
She turns to the woman that is maybe Saga. "So, from what I heard you are the captain? It´s an honor to work with you." She offers the woman her hand, not really sure what is the right way to greet a captain.

phyrestorm999

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2020, 06:25:32 PM »

Well, shit.

No, Marianne does not agree, but it's not like she has anyone else in mind to nominate.  Also, most if not all of these people are older and probably more experienced than her, so if no one else objects, she'll keep her mouth shut.  And hey, maybe the nerd will grow into the role.  It wouldn't be the first time.
Miranda
5/17/2001 - 7/14/2018
Beautiful Fighter, Loyal Friend, Badass Cat

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »
Oh gods.

Nobody objected.

Panik.

:is: "Uh then, thank you for your trust then. Right. Nice to meet you all. Hello Marianne, hello Dísa, hello again, Oliver and Astrid. :no: You are doctor Nyman, right? Also nice to meet you. And you are..." she looks at the man standing by the door. :is: "Doctor Kalsea, I believe? Welcome to the expedition, I hope we have a nice journey and I will do what I can to make sure nobody dies." Was that a good speech? Probably. She correctly named each of the people here, and it was... fine. :is: "Due to the unexpected situation we have found ourselves in, we will wait one more day before we set out, so that Leif has a chance to find a competent captain, stat. If nobody suitable is found, we leave tomorrow morning. I would like to show you to the ship now, and have a few words with a few of you afterwards..." She repeats it in Norwegian.

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

Lallicat

• Scout
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2020, 06:55:37 PM »
Alright then. Dísa takes a deep breath and confidently walks into the slightly chaotic meeting. The confidence lasts about to the point where she´s inside the room.

":is: Hello? Sorry to barge in like that, and sorry for being late, I had a little trouble finding the right place, and then there was some confusion over whether there was a queue or if we were supposed to just go in..." She should really stop talking... "Uhm, either way, my name is Dísa Ánnsdóttir, and I´m your mage. Nice to meet you all."
She turns to the woman that is maybe Saga. "So, from what I heard you are the captain? It´s an honor to work with you." She offers the woman her hand, not really sure what is the right way to greet a captain.

Astrid takes in the new crewmember. She seem to be around the same age as her, and looks a bit nervous. She offers her a wave and a smile.

Oh gods.

Nobody objected.

Panik.

:is: "Uh then, thank you for your trust then. Right. Nice to meet you all. Hello Marianne, hello Dísa, hello again, Oliver and Astrid. :no: You are doctor Nyman, right? Also nice to meet you. And you are..." she looks at the man standing by the door. :is: "Doctor Kalsea, I believe? Welcome to the expedition, I hope we have a nice journey and I will do what I can to make sure nobody dies." Was that a good speech? Probably. She correctly named each of the people here, and it was... fine. :is: "Due to the unexpected situation we have found ourselves in, we will wait one more day before we set out, so that Leif has a chance to find a competent captain, stat. If nobody suitable is found, we leave tomorrow morning. I would like to show you to the ship now, and have a few words with a few of you afterwards..." She repeats it in Norwegian.

While Saga repeats herself in Norwegian, she walks over to Dísa and whispers, :is: "Aren't you excited for this? I've been counting down the days until we leave! What do you think we'll discover?" Realizing that this is a lot of questions, she stops speaking.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:59:41 PM by Lallicat »

Solokov

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2020, 07:06:16 PM »
Oh gods.

Nobody objected.

Panik.

Leo's head snaps up when he hears his name and he considers what was said and waits for Saga to finish... and then repeat herself before he speaks up.
:fi:"I am Leo Kalsea, yes. But I am not a doctor. I am a paramedic."
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2020, 07:09:19 PM »
Oh gods.

Nobody objected.

Panik.

At this moment Dísa truly realized that she has done it. She has actually left home to see the world. And now she is here, and tomorrow she´ll set sail to the voyage into the unknown. Even on a boat! This mission is almost too good to be true. She has grown up riding all kinds of boats, mostly fishing boats, and has even learned fighting on a boat. The water is absolutely her element. A wave of excitement and happiness washes over her and she starts grinning like an idiot.

Wait. Did the captain-woman just say something about having a word with some of the crew-members? She sounded annoyed, was it about her being late??? Oh no, she didn´t tell anyone yet that Leo was still outside-

Astrid takes in the new crewmember. She seem to be around the same age as her, and looks a bit nervous. She offers her a wave and a smile.

While Saga repeats herself in Norwegian, she walks over to Dísa and whispers, :is: "Aren't you excited for this? I've been counting down the days until we leave! What do you think we'll discover?" Realizing that this was a lot of questions, she stopped speaking.

The woman who had smiled at her earlier was talking. She seemed maybe a little older than Dísa was. She pushes her slightly panicked thoughts away and whispers back, ":is: I can´t tell you how much! I think I haven´t slept in days!" She starts grinning again. "I... didn´t really think about what we may find, but I´m sure it´ll be awesome! You´re Astrid, right?"

Leo's head snaps up when he hears his name and he considers what was said and waits for Saga to finish... and then repeat herself before he speaks up.

Looks like "Doctor Kalsea" is Leo´s full name. So Saga did see him. Dísa is glad that she worried for nothing.

Lallicat

• Scout
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2020, 07:22:26 PM »
The woman who had smiled at her earlier was talking. She seemed maybe a little older than Dísa was. She pushes her slightly panicked thoughts away and whispers back, ":is: I can´t tell you how much! I think I haven´t slept in days!" She starts grinning again. "I... didn´t really think about what we may find, but I´m sure it´ll be awesome! You´re Astrid, right?"

Astrid grins back. :is: "That's me! So how did you hear get hired for the expedition? I heard about it from a friend of mine and applied right away. Training cats is fun, but I'd rather go explore. My parents weren't too happy about that," she chuckles. "They want me to pick a job and stay with it for the rest of my life." She rolled her eyes. "Their ideal life for me sounds so boring." Astrid realises that she's rambling again. "Sorry, I talk too much. It's worse when I'm nervous."

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2020, 07:34:51 PM »

Alright, Kalsea was not an Icelandic name, but Saga knows for a fact it also isn't Finnish. :no: "I don't speak Finnish" she says directly. "Please use your other language" she says.

Other people seem to be beginning to chat and relax, nobody has anything else to say...
"Let's head for the ship, then" she says in both Norwegian and Icelandic.

As she heads for the door, she is interrupted by Leif.
:is: "Uh, Saga, you're not really thinking of being the captain, are you?" he asks her.
She stares him down and replies quietly.

:is: "Get to work, Leif."

With that, she leads the group to the docks and their ship, clearly expecting and demanding to be followed.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 08:11:50 PM by Kitty »

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

phyrestorm999

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2020, 11:30:01 PM »
Oh gods.

Nobody objected.

Panik.

Marianne walks off halfway through the Norwegian version of the speech.  She knows where Dock 5 is, and the sooner she boards the ship, the better her chances are of securing at least a semi-private place to sleep. 
Miranda
5/17/2001 - 7/14/2018
Beautiful Fighter, Loyal Friend, Badass Cat