Author Topic: Key posts by Minna through the comments and on twitch  (Read 108808 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Archive - Key posts by Minna through the comments
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 01:19:30 AM »
Friends, I hope you consider this good news:  Minna plans to keep writing SSSS for a lonnnnnng time.  (Though hopefully there will be dramatic resolution at some point, not Plot Tumor piled on top of Plot Tumor like Girl Genius.)

(57) [56 = the comment above, archived by BrainBlow]
starfallz 
Minna's stated this will be several books. She's said it feels to be about 5, which would put it to be [much] longer than aRTD.

minnasundberg Mod 
And those 5 books (or maybe 4 if I decide to make each one a little longer [i.e. 5 chapters each, not 4]) are just the first "adventure", the story will continue right on after that.

So this is going to go on for years and years unless something bad happens to me! Oh gosh, there's so many awesome storylines that I so want to draw already but that are like... a decade away, eeehehuh. xS
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:57:42 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 01:27:37 AM »
There's been a lot of discussion about whether, or how, Tuuri's anti-Rash mask sometimes seems to have a perma-smile painted on, and sometimes seems to show her actual face.  (And apparently it is *not* a Magical Expression Mirror like Zeetha's headband medallion in Girl Genius, or Token's mask in Power Nap.)

Our Dear Creator clarifies!

minnasundberg
I originally designed it opaque and with the very visible kitty-face painted on and I do agree that it's kinda cooler like that, but once I started drawing it in the comic it became clear that all of Tuuri's expressions would become incredibly weird/creepy/disturbing with a permanent smile drawn on her face.

Basically I don't want all of her emotions being distorted by a drawn-on kitty smile all the time. So... I changed it to a clear mask. The drawing is on there but I leave it out most of the time for clarity. :<
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »
More from Minna re: the prologue characters (thanks to JoB for catching this):

spas 
...It seems as though she is promising that these details will be filled in, which i can only hope means flashbacks that are then the main story for a while. the communication gap between emil and lalli is not as big of a selling point as she must have hoped, and none of the main characters are as winning as the earlier sets of main characters - heck, i'll even take fighting-car-family over this lot. it is depressing to think that in an apocalypse, the most boring people might survive - but i suppose, who cares, right? since i will not be among them.

minnasundberg Mod 
Ahah, I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you there. Sure, there's going to be the occasional flashbacks to shed some light on everyone's back stories (which will naturally reveal parts of what became of the prologue peeps since they're the ancestors.) But the prologue characters won't ever become a focus of the story again, they were never "main characters" to begin with.

Sadly you'll have to make do with the six characters shown on the front page of the site, they're the main cast. ^_^'

http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=172#comment-1568049117

((042))
cheppoly
...in the distant future, when SSSS is finished and there's a fundraising campaign for the final book, we could meet all the prologue characters again in an extra epilogue?!  Ahh, what a nice dream.

Minna Sundberg
Hey, it's not impossible. I have the stories of the prologue characters mapped out, and occasionally I've even entertained the tought of creating a one-book side story about what happened to them after the prologue.
But that's way off in the future if I ever decide to act on that thought!
But you'll still find out little things about them through the main story, even though they won't physically really be in it. :3

Page 23 = 5 Dec. 2013

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 09:05:39 PM »
More from Minna re: the prologue characters (thanks to JoB for catching this):

spas 
...It seems as though she is promising that these details will be filled in, which i can only hope means flashbacks that are then the main story for a while. the communication gap between emil and lalli is not as big of a selling point as she must have hoped, and none of the main characters are as winning as the earlier sets of main characters - heck, i'll even take fighting-car-family over this lot. it is depressing to think that in an apocalypse, the most boring people might survive - but i suppose, who cares, right? since i will not be among them.

Wow, no offence, but that's kind of a mean thing to say... I can't believe someone finds our crew boring! D;
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2015, 02:27:55 AM »
Until and unless I can find a thread specifically about the future SSSS book.  On page 263, Minna indicated Chapter 5 will *probably* be in Book 1.

Eich
This chapter [#5] will look quite impressive when it comes out in book 2. :)
*Looks forward to print drive*

minnasundberg Mod
Aaaactuallyyy.... I've been planning on maybe including this chapter in the 1st book too, it seems to be short enough that I could still afford the additional shipping cost. (But I'll have to double-check the final page count/book weight and prices once I've got the whole chapter and all the extra content put together, so no 100% promises yet. But I'm hoping it'll work out.)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2015, 02:51:39 AM »
From P. 272, Feb. 18.

tl;dr:  Minna plots the story a good way ahead.  She *doesn't* tailor it to fan comments.

Rosepieces
Minna, I know a good number of webcomic artists and they tend to have a backlog, but much less continuing storylines. So anyway, my question is... How much of SSSS do you already have written?

minnasundberg Mod 
Depends on what you'd count as "written". I've got pretty much the whole main plot outlined in my head, and the next couple of chapters plotted out more precisely.

But as far as actual writing goes I mostly just have bullet lists of important plot points that I need to remember later on and misc scene ideas that I may or may not use at all. Sometimes I write proper scripts for a few pages at a time but I usually end up not even following those once I actually draw the pages, sooo... I'm not exactly exemplary. :P

Rosepieces 
Ah. Mostly I was curious if you kinda ad libbed the story much more than we could ever notice or if you have it set for the most part. Not many webcomics have as much story as yours do, and those that do focus on story tend to have a TON of filler.

lost norseman 
Do the forum [Ed.: or Disqus] comments ever influence the plot lines?

minnasundberg
Naaw, the plot is pretty much going where it was supposed to go all along. I would become pretty confused and directionless if I tried to tailor the story to reader comments rather than follow my own vision. (I know that works for some webcomickers, but it's just not for me.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:36:50 AM by Sunflower »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2015, 03:21:16 AM »
Minna answered this on p. 272 (Feb. 18).  She mentions her drawing tools fairly often, but for some reason we've never captured her answers on the Forum till now. 

Poncho
Hey hey what art product do you use to make these comics?

minnasundberg Mod 
Photoshop and Manga Studio.

Rosepieces

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2015, 02:27:31 AM »
Sunflower missed one from last week, too! tl;dr: It's not that long so read it! But seriously we might be getting info on gear and equipment!

Rosepieces • 5 days ago
Minna! For your next, or at least a future, infographic update could you do something on their equipment? Like the uniforms (I want Lalli's!), Tuuri's mask (want that, too!), their knives (yep, want), etc? Maybe you could include Sigrun's shirt/sweater?

minnasundberg Mod  Rosepieces • 5 days ago
Not the next one, but maybe the one after that. I've been meaning to make myself some proper reference sheets for the longest time, so I might as well turn them into infogaphic once I finally get tot it. :3

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2015, 01:33:11 AM »
There's been a lot of discussion about whether, or how, Tuuri's anti-Rash mask sometimes seems to have a perma-smile painted on, and sometimes seems to show her actual face.  (And apparently it is *not* a Magical Expression Mirror like Zeetha's headband medallion in Girl Genius, or Token's mask in Power Nap.)

Our Dear Creator clarifies!

minnasundberg
I originally designed it opaque and with the very visible kitty-face painted on and I do agree that it's kinda cooler like that, but once I started drawing it in the comic it became clear that all of Tuuri's expressions would become incredibly weird/creepy/disturbing with a permanent smile drawn on her face.

Basically I don't want all of her emotions being distorted by a drawn-on kitty smile all the time. So... I changed it to a clear mask. The drawing is on there but I leave it out most of the time for clarity. :<

I sort of got the impression that she added it herself. Like someone would modify something now with a Magic Marker (that is the most popular marker pen in the U.S.)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 02:27:12 AM »
Page 275, where poor Hilde Rasmussen progresses from hand-sized Rash patches to nearly consumed between Oct. 15 and 30.

minnasundberg Mod 
You could probably add a week, possibly two in some cases, before that first photo in terms of when the very first, tiniest little rash patches started appearing. But yup, it usually just takes a few weeks from first noticeable symptoms-->dead.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2015, 02:31:05 AM »
Word of God, from the Chapter 6 cover (emphasis mine):

Sunflower
Minna, Dear Creator: Please consider a VERY LARGE print run for Vol. 1...!

minnasundberg Mod 
I'll print as many as I can afford with the Indiegogo money (got to have enough left over to pay for the shipping though~), but I'm also going to start saving up for another print run, I promise.

I'm basically hoping that the leftover [1st run] books will bring in enough money to pay for a second print run, that'd be ideal. ^_^

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2015, 04:34:51 AM »
Yrkill 
I'm curious, what sources do you have on Icelandic words and names and stuff? Because, speaking as an Icelander, they're so accurate!

minnasundberg Mod 
Well, I know enough Icelandic to be able to read it, so i usually just google for some icelandic articles/statistics/whatever when I'm looking for something specific. I do the same with Norwegian and Danish! (Also I'm hopeless at learning the genders and forms of words so I check the Icelandic wiktionary aaaall the time, hehe: http://is.wiktionary.org/ xS)

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2015, 08:15:51 PM »
There was a search for this info earlier, so I decided to post it here in case we need to find it again:

How do we know there will be two mages on the team?!

Quote from: Minna
http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=67
Oh! And two of the main characters are mages too! One of them knows it, one doesn't and will find out later. And those two mages won't be from the same country, nope. Wanna guess which two it'll be?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »
Word of God, p. 288:

iitu
I'm so in love with this comic! All the characters and scenery and practically everything! <3
Minna, could you do family trees to the characters? Or are the relations just something that really don't matter? It'd be cool and handy, just popped to my mind.
Kiitti kun teet näin mahtavaa sarjista! Kaikkea hyvää :)

minnasundberg Mod 
Yup, definitely going to make family trees eventually, it's been on my to-do list for a long time. Possibly after the next chapter. :3

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2015, 02:28:10 AM »
Minna said on March 14 via Twitter (in answer to someone calling himself Lalli Hotakainen!)  Emphasis mine.

Lalli Hotakainen @SuomiMaagi  Mar 13
@SSSScomic Moi! I was wondering if you are planning on making a second book edition of SSSS? Sorry if this has been asked before, I might--

Minna Sundberg @SSSScomic

@SuomiMaagi I am. I'll also have about ~1,000 books left over to sell from the first printing after I've sent out the backer books.