Author Topic: Cosplay (non-SSSS)  (Read 46397 times)

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: Cosplay Help
« Reply #285 on: November 05, 2015, 01:21:26 PM »
And my turn to ask for help. I am preparing Lalli cosplay, and I've got a couple of questions about it.

1. Hair. I was sure Lalli's hair colour is ash blond, and I found the wig I thought was proper. Here it is:

But I looked through SSSS Cosplay thread, and the wigs I saw were white or silver. So I'm in doubt. Any ideas about that?

With this comic's lighting and coloring style, wig color is up to your personal preference as long as it's in a certain family, and that color is a good Lalli color (don't worry!)
Personally I might go a shade lighter (Arda wig color titanium blonde if they have that in your style) but it all depends on what you think would look good with your skin tone. Sacrifice a bit of canon-ness (that really isn't there) to flatter yourself. Trust me, it's worth it :P

As for fabric, I have noooooo idea ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ I miiight eventually make a cosplay properly and I was thinking that I would get a medium-thickness fabric that had a nice look, with good texture and such, and then just use iron-on interfacing to make it stiffer/thicker?
YEET

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #286 on: November 08, 2015, 04:00:51 PM »
Thank you, Curry!

And does anyone have Lalli's hood sewing pattern? I re-read looked the comic through, and it seems a little bit different in various chapters...
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #287 on: November 08, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »
Thank you, Curry!

And does anyone have Lalli's hood sewing pattern? I re-read looked the comic through, and it seems a little bit different in various chapters...

I know Ana Nymus does. She made one from scratch and it's pretty cool.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #288 on: November 08, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »
Is it OK if I just PM her?

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #289 on: November 08, 2015, 04:29:16 PM »
Is it OK if I just PM her?

I'm sure she'd be fine with that
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #290 on: November 08, 2015, 04:53:58 PM »
Thank you!  :)

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #291 on: December 06, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »
Ayyyyy guys
I was wondering if anyone knows of any good red boots? I have a few requirments:
they have to be comfortable to wear at a con
it would be best if they arent rainboots
roughly knee-high
thats it. Also, are there websites that people know of that make custom color long-sleeve shirts+leggings?
Im doing a Terezi cosplay and I want to start now even though the con is in forever.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

darkling_thrush

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #292 on: December 06, 2015, 07:28:09 PM »
So I realize Cosplay is usually based on an already created character, but what I was kinda thinking about developing my own imagined character for the SSSS world. Do you guys follow? It'd kinda be more like renaissance fair, because I'd be creating my personal fictional character. On that note, what do you guys think SSSS fashions are? I would guess each of the countries all have a different vibe.
Speaks: :usa: Understands spoken: :norway: Understands written: :france:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #293 on: December 06, 2015, 10:14:36 PM »
So I realize Cosplay is usually based on an already created character, but what I was kinda thinking about developing my own imagined character for the SSSS world. Do you guys follow? It'd kinda be more like renaissance fair, because I'd be creating my personal fictional character. On that note, what do you guys think SSSS fashions are? I would guess each of the countries all have a different vibe.
*waves* Hello! Welcome to the forum!

I think that sounds really cool - it would definitely be fun to dress up as your own character from the SSSS world! As for your question, have you poked your head in and checked out the PerSSSSonas subforum? There are a bunch of threads where people are talking about self-insert characters and other ideas about what things would be like in Year 90.

There's also this thread where people talk a lot about different materials that would or wouldn't be readily available in the world of SSSS, so that might help too.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

darkling_thrush

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #294 on: December 07, 2015, 11:07:20 AM »
Thank you Kiraly! I'll go check it out. This was a great idea, kinda like a costume help desk.
Speaks: :usa: Understands spoken: :norway: Understands written: :france:

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #295 on: March 12, 2016, 04:30:55 PM »
This is a general sewing question, not cosplay, but I was thinking some of the cosplayers might be able to help me. I'm planning on sewing my prom dress, and I have a pretty good grasp on how to get it done, but there are a few aspects that I want to make sure I get done right.

I'm working with satin, chiffon, and a mesh (all part of the Casa collection), so any tips on cutting or sewing or general "don't mess this up" would be very helpful.

For the dress itself, it's going to be flowy, with a scoop neck and straps, and I want to gather it at the neckline and the waist. I'm not sure what the best way to do this would be- elastic, something similar to pleating, another method I don't know about? To keep it easier, I want to keep it one piece rather than sewing together the bodice and the skirt. I also want to have a sash tied at the waist- I'm not sure yet if I should attach it or just tie it on separately.

I think that's it? I'll take any advice I can get, really.
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #296 on: March 12, 2016, 05:25:58 PM »
Keeper, my best advice would be to get a pattern if you don't have one already. Unlike in cosplay where you might need a very specific and nonexistent article of clothing, there probably exists a pattern for the type of dress you want, and that makes it so much easier to sew an article of clothing. A pattern will also probably tell you how to do the gathering, whether via pleats or elastic or something else, so you don't have to make the decision and worry how it'll turn out. And if you want, you can always alter a pattern to get the look you like :)

The fabrics you're working with seem to be of the slippery type, so you'll want to take care. If you have a rotary cutter, use that instead of scissors to cut out your pieces. I haven't tried this, but I've seen it said that you can starch the fabric a bit before cutting and piecing to make it easier. And whatever you do, use plenty of pins. Seriously, that stuff'll slide right out of place unless it's aggressively pinned in place. I also recommend you take a piece of each type of fabric and do some test sewing just to get a feel before you work on your dress.

I hope this helps! I never went to prom myself, but my friend made her own prom dress as well, and it turned out wonderfully! Good luck and happy sewing!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #297 on: March 12, 2016, 06:11:00 PM »
Thanks Ana! I've looked around for a sewing pattern, but haven't been able to find exactly what I want. I did find a dress that's close enough to trace from, so that's a start. Thank you for the advice on the fabric, I'll be sure to pin wherever I can!
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: Cosplay (non-SSSS)
« Reply #298 on: August 02, 2016, 03:44:34 AM »
Time to necro this thread back up because -

a new cosplay has happened and we had a photoshoot yesterday at Elliðaárdalur! Hyper Light Drifter is an amazing game, I've never rage quit as hard and as often in my life! Yet it's so beautiful and fun to play, holy heck. Anyway without further ado, here's Drifter (prepare for So Much lens flare in the spoiler cut).

Spoiler: show

Aaaand then some chain dash shenanigans blooper shots because I'm a Serious Cosplayer. :D

I'm not sure what's even going on here...

Can't see a hecking thing -
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Cosplay (non-SSSS)
« Reply #299 on: August 02, 2016, 04:08:58 AM »
That character startled me! The design on his helmet is the logo of a major Australian bank.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!