Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842258 times)

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #3795 on: August 16, 2015, 12:30:04 PM »
Okay after arguing with Deviant Art I finally gave up and figured out how to post to Tumblr (much easier actually).

I present to you my half of the At trade with Haiz.
http://dancingranger.tumblr.com/post/126835649214/my-half-of-an-art-trade-with-the-ssss-forumite
The rune was designed by Feartheviolas.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

DarkRawen

• Rawen can do it!
« Reply #3796 on: August 16, 2015, 12:32:08 PM »
Ooh, I think the survival chances of the squads may have just been doubled.

I'm not saying I think your sona is an exceptionally good medic or anything. It's just that we only have like one other medic (who moonlights as a mechanic).

(quoting this, but I've read the convo around it). He should at least come in handy :P Whether that's in a medic way or not, might be a different conversation completely.  ;)

I can't see if misea replied to this or not, but we have some new spreadsheets I should totally have added to the faq ages ago. I'LL GO DO THAT IMMEDIATELY
also yo your art is super cool. I must resist urge to sign up for another art trade, I may or may not be an art trade junkie with 9 people on my list...

Ah, okay, yeah, that's fine (:

Also, thanks, I do wish I had a more complete style, but I suppose that'll come around one day :P

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3797 on: August 16, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »
I present to you my half of the At trade with Haiz.

eeee thank you!!!! it's so nice to see Haiz in one of the alternative outfits :3c and the pose is very cool!!
you'll know where to find me.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #3798 on: August 16, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »
eeee thank you!!!! it's so nice to see Haiz in one of the alternative outfits :3c and the pose is very cool!!

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it, I had a lot of fun with it.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #3799 on: August 16, 2015, 05:22:02 PM »
I have been slowly working through the about 10 sheets this thread was growing while I was away from the internet and I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all the awesome art-pieces I've seen in the progress! Blanket kudos to all of you!
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #3800 on: August 16, 2015, 05:52:48 PM »
Finished my part of the art trade with Unlos!

Here is her ssssona, Una. ;D

BONUS
Una is defying gravity!

native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #3801 on: August 16, 2015, 06:10:14 PM »
I love your bonus Daéa ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #3802 on: August 16, 2015, 06:50:56 PM »

BONUS
Una is defying gravity!

The poses are great, especially the bonus. So full of life! =D
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Cliodna

• DeviantArt
  • Celibate because I don't give a ****
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #3803 on: August 16, 2015, 09:31:39 PM »
Hello! I've yet to manage to read all the way through the thread, but so far I have had a look at the character compilation as well as the first 15 pages of this thread. Everyone's characters were great to read about, but a few people who exceptionally stuck out to me, in a positive way, were the icelandic falconer, the finnish-estonian(?) stamp maker/beekeeper and the accordion-troll. There were others as well of course and I might drop some favorable comments on them as I keep reading. :)
I thought I would share my meager attempt with you. She was originally supposed to be an OC, then she became more like a self-insert during character design.
A couple further words: Her clothes are inspired by estonian national clothing, but heavily simplified to be more suitable for day-to-day wear. She has another set with all the little frills and embroidery set aside for special occasions.

Name: Airi Viiding
Nationality: Finnish-Estonian
Area of birth: Saimaa
Immunity: Yes
Profession: Civilian herbalist
Languages: :estonia: :finland: and a tiny bit of :sweden:

Airi is part-estonian from both lineages, with the main bulk of her non-finnish ancestry being comprised of the descendants of Helsinki’s immigrants, post-rash refugees and one seaman in the form of her paternal great-grandfather.  She has four living siblings in total, however only the very youngest of them – Asko – is still residing in her home village. Airi’s sister married off to another settlement whilst her older half-brothers left with some others to prepare Gogland for permanent settlement and have yet to return. 

Airi is a devout worshipper of both finnish nature spirits and the estonian pagan god of Taara. She does her best to, within reason, keep the songs and traditions of her people alive for the future generations and dreams of someday seeing Tallinn – even if from afar. Her family used to own some Old World books, as well as the memoirs of her seafaring great-grandfather, but those were all sold to a traveling danishman when she’d been a little girl.

Her main role in the community is that of a healer. Although more knowledgeable of pharmaceutical medicines than an average person she is one of those people who strongly prefer „natural“ remedies for non-life threatening ailments. Her backyard is filled to the brim with herbs and the occasional cucumber plants, which she diligently takes care of during the summer. At winter, however, the woman dons a pair of skis and a rifle, joining the scouts in locating and eliminating any beasts who might’ve wandered too close to their home.

The finnish side of her ancestry gives Airi some meager affinity with spells, which she uses to it’s fullest potential when healing or warding her home. However, despite this, she is definitely not a proper mage.

More sketches of her: Click Airi's preferred method of dealing with injuries*, her winter clothes and a ski-chase after a rabbit-beast across frozen Saimaa.
_____
*My mother wraps whole horseraddish leaves across her limbs to combat joint pain - I took it to the logical extreme.
Fluent: :estonia: :uk:
Fluent if I hadn't slept through class: :germany: :finland:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3804 on: August 16, 2015, 09:52:15 PM »
I thought I would share my meager attempt with you. She was originally supposed to be an OC, then she became more like a self-insert during character design.
A couple further words: Her clothes are inspired by estonian national clothing, but heavily simplified to be more suitable for day-to-day wear. She has another set with all the little frills and embroidery set aside for special occasions.

[...]

Welcome to the sona world! Airi looks like a very interesting character, and I like your art style, too! I don't know that we have many Estonian characters; we might not have any at all (but don't quote me on that). In any case, some Estonian culture (and some medic knowledge) will be greatly appreciated by everyone, I think!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #3805 on: August 16, 2015, 10:02:28 PM »
Yes, welcome Cliodna! :D Mind if I add you to the SSSSona spreadsheets? And you can sign up for an expedition group in this thread (the spreadsheets are just for funsies aka if you want to see some stats and fun facts about the SSSSonas on the expedition)
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Cliodna

• DeviantArt
  • Celibate because I don't give a ****
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #3806 on: August 16, 2015, 10:30:06 PM »
Welcome to the sona world! Airi looks like a very interesting character, and I like your art style, too! I don't know that we have many Estonian characters; we might not have any at all (but don't quote me on that). In any case, some Estonian culture (and some medic knowledge) will be greatly appreciated by everyone, I think!
wavewright62's "Helle-Mait Räätäli" is marked as finnish/estonian on the spreadsheet. As far as I know she's the only one. :)
Thanks for complimenting my character and my art style. :P These sketches are not my master pieces, unfortunately, but I kind of like them. And who doesn't need a medic! I do not know how good she would be on actual expeditions, but I'm sure we'll manage to get some sort of a use out of her. I mainly made her so I would have a viewpoint through which I could write some short stories and stuff, her turning into a self-insert character was just a happy little accident.

Yes, welcome Cliodna! :D Mind if I add you to the SSSSona spreadsheets? And you can sign up for an expedition group in this thread (the spreadsheets are just for funsies aka if you want to see some stats and fun facts about the SSSSonas on the expedition)
Thanks for the welcome and no, I don't mind, go ahead. :)
Fluent: :estonia: :uk:
Fluent if I hadn't slept through class: :germany: :finland:

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3807 on: August 17, 2015, 04:28:38 AM »

WOW
Look at all the details in the flowers!! And her hands! And her hair! And her clothes!! Eeek, this is so BEAUTIFUL!! *-*
Thank you so much!

(I still have to start yours D:)

BONUS
Una is defying gravity!

Thank you!!! I'm glad you liked my drawing! And I love the drawinings of Una, too! The pose, the expression, the bonus! Weee

Holy various deities, your art is beautiful! I especially like the face and the shading on the torso. (I may have kinda done a doubletake at the accuracy of your cloth-drawing :P)
Thank you!

Welcome, Cliodna! Wow, I love your ssssona, she's really great! Get that hare-beast!
I've collected most of the drawings (the people who gave me permission to post their stuff, so a few are missing) on this pinterest board (updated sporadically).  (Haiz, is it something for the FAQ, do you think? Or does the infodump and spreadsheet make it unneccesary?)

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3808 on: August 17, 2015, 10:22:31 AM »
(Haiz, is it something for the FAQ, do you think? Or does the infodump and spreadsheet make it unneccesary?)
I'll add it to the faq ^__________^ I'm always open for adding in new info in stuff if anyone has any suggestions or unanswered questions!
you'll know where to find me.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #3809 on: August 17, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »

I've collected most of the drawings (the people who gave me permission to post their stuff, so a few are missing) on this pinterest board (updated sporadically).  (Haiz, is it something for the FAQ, do you think? Or does the infodump and spreadsheet make it unneccesary?)

This is awesome. So much arts....
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.