Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842651 times)

John Candlebury

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • No John, you are the demons
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #3585 on: August 03, 2015, 10:04:26 PM »
Thanks for the words everyone!
And wow this thread sure moves ultra fast, let me comment on a bunch of stuff!

-----------------

Villain anime Haiz looks rather villainous, also looks very awesome. Really like the odd tone-green lines, they give your character a very emotive and toxic atmosphere (for lack of a better word).

Unlos: Those striped pants are very well done, you really captured the flow of the fabric with that shading.

-----------------

I have to ask:  Are any of your character's co-workers shown here?  I hope standards of professionalism have risen in the Oresund Base radio shack since Trond & Co. were lurking there...   8)

EDIT:  I just noticed the mismatched boots -- how'd that happen?

Yep that would be them! I pretty much got this idea from how carefree everyone on that office seemed. Would be the best to work :D

The story behind the mismatched boots is nothing remarkable, it's just the kind of stuff that  happens when you assemble a cleanser uniform out of clothes you borrowed from friends.

John Candlebury: I really like your style and your character, really well done! Looks like his expression of "I regret everything" is permanent? At least while he is with the expedition...

Thats probably just the: What do you mean with troll infested village? face. Pretty sure the the regrets part comes shortly after though.

-----------------

As last topic, my checklist on how to draw evil, inspired by the great tvtropes:

-More elegant or at least more expensive clothes that what the good guys wear.

-Dark subdued clothes with a single contrasting color are great for evil; if on the other hand,  you want a villain dressed in pastel colors, then the lavishness of their outfit serves as the evilness indicator.

-A mask, hoods or anything covers your character's face. A lot of characterization comes from what they use as concealment: a hood is roguish, a scarf+hat hat combo is classy, a ski mask is a terrorist, a gas mask is oppressive, only a psychopath would wear a burlap sack, and masks tend to vary depending on their design, but for some reason I tend to link them with mental disorders.

-Triangles are Illuminati and EXTRA-evil. The more angular and pointy bits the better, be that in your characters complexion (say a very angular face and nose or a very thin torso/upper body) and/or in their clothing.

-In fictionland, ragged clothes don't make you look like a hobo. Consider that when choosing your own evil sorcerer outfit.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3586 on: August 04, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
For Haiz:

pfffffff OF COURSE
... not saying no to cookies though. just one bite can't possibl- HEY WHERE ARE YOU GOING WITH MY CLOTHES

(also sidenote, they don't have a cape but ridiculous long and jagged sleeves. for some reason.)

Misea: I'd be interested in a tutorial, too, if you ever make one! Your style is gorgeous, and it miight be that some tricks of the trade will translate over to firealpaca...
hey haiz how about you check out the art tutorial thread before asking

Gwenno: come to the dark side, because apparently we do indeed have cookies. at least Sóley does.

John Candlebury: eeeee thank you!!

+ a box of glittery compliments to all you amazing artists who have posted lately!!

I thumbnailed my terrible 'lyric video' project yesterday, it will be 17 slides long... hopefully I will start drawing other people than myself for a while when I finish it! IF i finish it. dear art gods please give me the strength to go through with this

wow such comprehensivity
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:11:45 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #3587 on: August 04, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »
pfffffff OF COURSE
... not saying no to cookies though. just one bite can't possibl- HEY WHERE ARE YOU GOING WITH MY CLOTHES

(also sidenote, they don't have a cape but ridiculous long and jagged sleeves. for some reason.)

Muahahahaha! (I know they're sleeves but I had a hard time drawing your arms crossed with sleeves like that so I magicked it into a cape temporarily because drawing things)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #3588 on: August 04, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »
OoooOOOooo ... so pretty!!!  ;D

:o Oh this is so beautiful, and so much thought put into it as well! It's just like a snap out of their lives and I wish we had that sunshine over here ^_^ It's too bad you're too tired to art, I would have really loved to have seen a tutorial, but maybe next time you draw something you can take a screenshot of the progress or whatever works best for you?

Hehe, thank you! c: And Gwenno, I made a tutorial yesterday! I forgot I had some wips from my drawing for Alethryia XD
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #3589 on: August 04, 2015, 02:20:33 PM »
I was just going to say that our greatest challenge is to villainify Blorptroll without anyone going "awww, he is still cute, though". Is that even possible?
our dear almond-goddess did a nice try, but people still called it cute so I do not feel up to this task tbh

Not villainify, but make tragic perhaps - considering its size, it was almost certainly a baby before the Rash got ahold of it (might explain why all it does is scream, too).
haha yeah I almost had this tragic backstory planned out that it used to be an unborn baby but maybe that is a little bit too dark or grotesque.........................

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3590 on: August 04, 2015, 02:21:54 PM »
Welp then, challenge accepted, although to be honest I don't have a single clue as to how I'm going to go about it!

Buck-teeth, a bowtie and Mickey mouse gloves?

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3591 on: August 04, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »
I was just going to say that our greatest challenge is to villainify Blorptroll without anyone going "awww, he is still cute, though". Is that even possible?

I'm specifically reminded of Almond-Goddess' blorptroll drawing...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3592 on: August 04, 2015, 02:23:36 PM »
Not villainify, but make tragic perhaps - considering its size, it was almost certainly a baby before the Rash got ahold of it (might explain why all it does is scream, too).

I refer you to the second paragraph. Good luck finding fingerprints. Now, I suppose they could run DNA, yes, but to do that they'd have to send it off to... oh, the Mora labs. Well, that's good, right? You can rest assured no evidence will be tampered with. We pride ourselves on that.
(I need to stop this before I bite off more than I can chew)

* Sunflower finds this all madly amusing

What makes it funnier is that another fanfic author recently asked me, "How likely is it that Sara would use blackmail to get her way?"   I guess we're finding out.   8)

As for the Blorptroll, I've suspected from the beginning that it probably grew from a baby.   :(
(Like its patron creator owner person who hauls it around, I see it as agender.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:26:06 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #3593 on: August 04, 2015, 02:26:20 PM »
You... you two do realize it hunts and eats anything that moves right? O~O; Ok it does give very tight hugs, not sure how comfortable ones but hugs, definitely yes.

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #3594 on: August 04, 2015, 02:31:25 PM »
Piney:

(Like its patron creator owner person who hauls it around, I see it as agender.)
I can confirm that as both a troll and a baby, it definitely does not have a concept of gender. nor does it understand the concept of pronouns, sooo you're not gonna accidentally offend it either way hahaha

...you weren't moving
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:40:02 PM by Haiz »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #3595 on: August 04, 2015, 02:41:25 PM »
Buck-teeth, a bowtie and Mickey mouse gloves?

I was going to say something witty as a comeback but you know what, I got nothing. I'm also having a sneaking suspicion that this is by far not the first time. :-\

Viola: OH YES, that happened. I had forgotten about it already. :D

That's probably wise.  Sara happens to be traveling with a lot of alert young Cleansers, mages, and scouts, all of whom are heavily armed and some of whom are a little trigger-happy.  I'd hate to see anyone get hurt.  (Sugary smile.)

Ahhahahaha, haha, ha, er, I'm sure it won't be bothering anyone all the way from Austra- I MEAN GREENLAND. I shipped it to Greenland. Yes. Honest.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #3596 on: August 04, 2015, 02:49:03 PM »
Ahhahahaha, haha, ha, er, I'm sure it won't be bothering anyone all the way from Austra- I MEAN GREENLAND. I shipped it to Greenland. Yes. Honest.

I have a tiny origami prototype Lauftroll that lives on top of my desk lamp. It's kinda like having a venus fly trap. As long as I remember to feed it small insects and bits of ground beef it's quite happy.

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3597 on: August 04, 2015, 02:52:29 PM »
Guess who just finished an art trade!

Kick, Alexis's rapiers became ... not very rapiery. I'm sorry. (also I apologise for any issues in her skin-tone, the dark brown pencil has been missing for ages so I had to build it up from approximately the colour of Mad Robin's hair, instead of starting with something closer to the mark. It didn't work as well as I'd hoped.)
I don't know what happened to Marja, but she seems to be enjoying it. Though Bosse isn't.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #3598 on: August 04, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »
so does anyone want to hear about this plot thing i've got going on

Sure do! Also for some reason the images aren't showing up under the spoiler tag (might be a problem with my browser, mind you). They look pretty cool on imgur, though!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3599 on: August 04, 2015, 05:04:20 PM »
Kick, I want to hear the plot thing!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:10:30 AM by Unlos »