Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842691 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #1170 on: May 07, 2015, 12:16:56 PM »

I'm literally a beret and beat up old military jacket from looking like a south american communist revolutionary.... oh wait I have both of those in my closet.

Pix, plz?  (In the "How do you look?" thread...)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1171 on: May 07, 2015, 02:03:30 PM »
@Unlos - I'm sorry that this is a bit late; would you like us to change your portrait on the forum to your new picture or just leave it as the older one? We weren't sure whether to update it or not :)
Yes, go ahead and thank you (I put a lot more effort into the second one). (You mean the infodump, right? Or is there a forum I don't know about?)
YOU ARE ALL BAREFACED BABBIES!!

Bwahaha! That is so great! Fenris has got a beard, but far from long enough to be braided, methinks :)

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1172 on: May 07, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »
Ehm I worked on an update actually:

Unlos, I've neglected to comment on this one because I like it a lot, but I'm slightly annoyed that I could've drawn your art trade with this fantastic hair if I had only known

Ooooo..... pretty.... all those sunset colors.
I tell you, the MINUTE I get a full-time job with benefits and everything, so I don't have to keep my appearance mainstream for the sake of job interviews, I'm going to do something like that with my hair.

Of course, I have about several cubic feet of fluffy, frizzy hair, so multiple colors might look more scary than cute on me.    :o
you're the coolest forum mom, have I ever mentioned that?

YOU ARE ALL BAREFACED BABBIES!!

(I'M TRYING VERY HARD TO GROW A BEARD BUT IT'S NOT GOING VERY WELL I'M SORRY)

welcome to the team!! I think the art is good, "how far you have to go" is very much depending on where you're trying to go. There is no ~*Good Art Singularity*~. You might want to practice on anatomy and poses, but this is already pretty good I think! Dynamic and Ready for Action. and for what it's worth, I like your pencilwork - good work on the folds and shadows
you'll know where to find me.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #1173 on: May 07, 2015, 03:15:21 PM »
Unlos, I've neglected to comment on this one because I like it a lot, but I'm slightly annoyed that I could've drawn your art trade with this fantastic hair if I had only known
Thank you, and um, sorry? All the talk about hair made me want to try drawing it how I like it best (unfortunately, the curls die when I have brushed it/worn a ponytail )

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #1174 on: May 07, 2015, 03:26:24 PM »

I've reached Tabea! Sorry for spamming the thread with individual sketches, but I don't have the patience to wait until I've made more, I want to show them to you noww. I was a bit intimidated about sketching her, since her SSSSona is so well drawn, with beautiful lineart and smooth colors, it strikes me as so professional! So I tried a redraw that doesn't really do it justice, and a more realistic sketch. Not too pleased with the hair, have you hair-drawing people some tips (other than observation and practice, which are the best advice, of course)

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #1175 on: May 07, 2015, 04:11:16 PM »

I've reached Tabea! Sorry for spamming the thread with individual sketches, but I don't have the patience to wait until I've made more, I want to show them to you noww. I was a bit intimidated about sketching her, since her SSSSona is so well drawn, with beautiful lineart and smooth colors, it strikes me as so professional! So I tried a redraw that doesn't really do it justice, and a more realistic sketch. Not too pleased with the hair, have you hair-drawing people some tips (other than observation and practice, which are the best advice, of course)
I WAS SUMMONED......
In all seriousness, though, this looks great! I admire your ability to replicate styles so well! :D Hmmm, how to hair... Flowy lines on long hair are really pretty (I say, as I insert curly-qs and swirls everywhere) and you seem to have a really good handle on that! Your linework is very pretty and your shading looks good too, but maybe use a sharper-edged brush on the hair to better illustrate the texture :)
YEET

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1176 on: May 07, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »
have you hair-drawing people some tips

(it's my magesona so it's still on topic ahaha ha yes very clever)

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS THOUGH. um. how do I draw hair. I use firealpaca which is similar to SAI, and I switch between the watercolour and pen (with lowered opacity O:) tools, and then make LOTSA SWOOSH LIKE JUNGLE RIVER
and uh. vary thickness of the strokes?? shadowings?? IDK REALLY i draw hair so intuitively

but all in all that is rly good draw so far!!!!
you'll know where to find me.

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #1177 on: May 07, 2015, 04:59:58 PM »

FWOOSH

*i'm dying*

But seriously, I just draw a lot of lines, looking carefully where it starts and where it ends and trying to figure things as I draw (volume, waves, etc). Maybe look at some reference pictures?
[Reynir moment] I'm sorry, that was not very helpful. :/ [/Reynir moment]
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #1178 on: May 07, 2015, 05:43:17 PM »
Heya guys Haiz I love the way you FWOOSH
So, I've been trying to put together a playlist for myself for when I work on any self-insert-related stuff, and I've got a few songs in there that (for some reason or another) make me think of the SSSS self-inserts, but I've totally run out of ideas--I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Right now I have:
 Walk Off the Earth--Rule the World
 Woodkid--Conquest of Spaces
 Alan Doyle--I've Seen a Little ( I swear, the chorus of this one always gets stuck in my head when I think of the self-insert gang--if our self-inserts were in an adventure/comedy cartoon, the chorus of this would totally be the opening song xD)
 Julie Fowlis--Touch the Sky
 Jonsi--Where No One Goes (couldn't resist)

Anyways, that's the list--but its just too short! Any suggestions?

whoops, just noticed there is an actual thread for SSSS music, my bad! xD

moving on---here is a small doodle I did while at Tim Horton's
I only had a small notebook full of graph paper, two pens (black and blue) and two or three coloured pencils on me, so its not the best quality, but seeing as its a doodle of someone else (Haiz) I thought I should still share xP

don't click it, that just makes it huge and blurry xP
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:07:50 PM by koalalou »

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1179 on: May 07, 2015, 07:48:07 PM »
Sooooooo... I have found myself spending hours to translate a few pages I wrote in french to english, in a universe which is still not and will never be mine, which usually prevent me to write. I'm not sure what's happening to me, but this character won't let me in peace before I let her go outside of my head, and because I'm bad at drawing a self-insert or something else, it had turned into a kind-of-little-short-novel-for-a-character's-introduction.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6smg475r127dde/Self-insert%20M%C3%A9lusine.pdf?dl=0
A special and huge thank to Noodly and Curry who have been very nice beta-readers and kind enough to patiently correct my mistakes. (Sorry if I still have some...) If I can do (write ?) something for you...
*Go hiding herself somewhere*
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:13:09 PM by Mélusine »
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1180 on: May 07, 2015, 07:57:46 PM »
Okay! I wrote my SSSSona a bio:

(That should clear up any hair issues)

Clara “Piney” Bergström
Nationality: ……..Swede
Area of birth: ……..Svenstavik
Immunity: ……..Yes
Profession: ……..Military: Cleanser
Languages: :sweden: :iceland:

*aHEM*
Spoiler: show
Born in the summer of Y71, Clara has lived her whole life in Svenstavik, Sweden (not including the occasional venture to Mora). Her mother was a skald and her father ran a small business. She was generally well-educated, and can’t believe that the Icelandic she learned in school actually stuck with her. Her family was never much in support of the military, mostly because they believed them to be ineffectual. Clara likes routine, and never specifically wished to get out of the house, but when military recruiters came to town, she saw it as an opportunity to get out of school and get out of doing chores. “Oh please Clara, don’t join the military,” said her mother “...and they have cats, you’re allergic." “To put it lightly, you’re not fit to fight,” said her father. “You know what,” she thought, “I’ll prove them wrong. They can’t tell me what I can’t do!” and she signed up to be a cleanser.
The only person she proved wrong was herself, but she will never admit it to anyone. ("F-fire? Pah!”) She was sent into real combat only recently, and only used her flamethrower once, kind of by accident (long story). She swears she’ll only use it for emergencies (and yes, she /does/ know how to use it, gosh!), maybe partly because her peers burned down one of the prettiest abandoned houses she’d ever seen and she teared up a little. Sensitive and timid, that Clara.
Kind of small and always quiet, she has never been assertive by any definition. Her lack of friends in school was mostly due to her general avoidance of conversation and social interaction in fear of being annoying. Hence, she’ll only talk to people if they talk to her first, and will still be a little hostile for a bit, but she’d never intentionally be mean to anyone, don’t worry. Just don’t keep her talking for too long or leave her in the middle of a crowd: she does get very lonely, yes, but she can really only stand people for seven hours out of twenty-four. Don’t try to get to chummy too quickly; leave her alone with a sketchpad and/or a pillow and you’ll gain her trust.

And “Piney” (pronounced… very wrong) is more of a personal nickname, probably only one person has called her that ever, and she wasn’t comfortable with that. But just the /idea/ of having a nickname is fun to her, so hence. Don’t ask where she got the name from (clearly it’s neither Swedish nor Icelandic), she read it somewhere (but she doesn’t know where; she doesn’t read a lot), liked the sound of it, and adopted it.

She got the vegvísir pendant from a relative who visited Reykjávik. She doesn’t wear it too often, and she’s not quite sure what it means. She would love to go to Iceland in the future, and would consider retiring there if it didn’t mean being so far away from her family.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1181 on: May 07, 2015, 08:07:52 PM »
koalalou I don't know what you're talking about, it looks really really REALLY cool and hhh I love the spirals! Crazy pen doodles are my favorite doodles! :D

Everybody go read Mélusine's fantastic short story because it's written really really well and her character has a really interesting story! 11/10, I recommend much for a well-developed character and IT'S JUST REALLY COOL GO READ IT

Piney that's a really cute draw and I like her backstory! A link has been added to your slide on the infodump • v •

EDIT: I also forgot to say this earlier, but Haiz that's an adorable hair draw of yourself and HarrisWilkens that is quite a magnificent beard! A+ art to everybody on this thread! :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:10:24 PM by Curry »
YEET

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #1182 on: May 07, 2015, 08:19:56 PM »
koalalou you did a fantastic job on the hair! I loved it. (I'm starting to notice that I generally like drawn hair).

Piney and Mélusine: Ok, I read Piney's backstory, and I'm about to read Mélusine's "short novel". Your SSSS-sona is so cute, Piney! :)

ALSO:

I was reading the infodump and I realized I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE. I said that Día spoke Icelandic and Brazilian. Brazilian?!! BRAZILIAN???? What was I thinking??? She speaks Portuguese! There's no "brazilian" language. I was capable of getting my own language wrong. Who am I.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1183 on: May 07, 2015, 08:32:59 PM »
ALSO:

I was reading the infodump and I realized I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE. I said that Día spoke Icelandic and Brazilian. Brazilian?!! BRAZILIAN???? What was I thinking??? She speaks Portuguese! There's no "brazilian" language. I was capable of getting my own language wrong. Who am I.

Ehe, noted and fixed! Don't worry, we all have those moments. Some more than others. *looks pointedly at self*
YEET

SolarPoweredGirl

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • A normal kid who isn't that normal
« Reply #1184 on: May 07, 2015, 10:22:51 PM »
Here's my SSSSona doing magey thingys
I was all set to make an actual effort drawing then this happened so yeah my plan failed

But I did decide to copy Haiz's hair chart use Haiz's hair chart as a guide for my hair so that took effort (p.s. Haiz my drawings of hair will never be anything compared to your masterpieces.)
also what are hands even
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:25:56 PM by SolarPoweredGirl »