Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 843245 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #735 on: April 20, 2015, 08:23:18 PM »
<snip awesome wall of backstory text>
 What she didn’t know at the time however, was there were pieces of at least three trolls littering the floor around her that day, and it was agreed that maybe she deserved another shot.
Good one! 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Quabus

« Reply #736 on: April 21, 2015, 01:10:43 AM »
Everyone's stuff here is so amazing! Soooo impressed.

I can't upload my sketches tonight, but I've made a self insert.

Clara Jensen

Nationality: ………….... Dane
Area of birth: …... Bornholm
Gender………………... Female
Immunity: ………………… Yes
Profession: …………… Scout
Languages: ……… :denmark: :iceland: :norway: (thanks again KauniitaUnia)

-   grew up on a farm in Nexø on Bornholm
-   moved to Hitra military settlement in Norway with her older siblings at age 13
-   a day scout by profession, but competent in many endeavors: cooking, sewing, farming, and minor first aid; able to read and write, and learned some arithmetic
-   loves animals, but knows how to do what a farm girl (or any good scout, for that matter) must do
-   slightly famous for once killing a deer-beast by jumping out of a tree, feet first, onto (into) its back; is pleased but a bit embarrassed at the attention this has gotten her
-   rather obsessed with old architecture
-   really wishes she was a mage, knows some theory and sketches runes, but has none of that elusive talent: no dreams, no sixth sense, no levitating, no nothing
-   on the flip side, she partly believes in the old-world religion “Christianity” taught her by her great-grandparents as a  little girl; no one knows this other than a few family members
-   knows a few Finnish words and phrases
-   kind of gullible and easily distractible

One question: is the premise here that: these are people Torbjorn &co. considered for the mission but rejected; people who just live in the known world; or people who went on new missions to the silent world after Torbjorn &co. became rich and famous?

I will try to make myself post at least one drawing of my SSSSona in the next 24 hours.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 06:42:00 PM by Quabus »

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #737 on: April 21, 2015, 01:50:28 AM »
Everyone's stuff here is so amazing! Soooo impressed.

I can't upload my sketches tonight, but I've made a self insert.

Clara Jensen

Nationality: ………….... Dane
Area of birth: …... Bornholm
Gender………………... Female
Immunity: ………………… Yes
Profession: …………… Scout
Languages: ……… :Denmark: :Iceland: :Norway: (argh how do you make those flag things?)

-   grew up on a farm in Nexø on Bornholm
-   moved to Hitra military settlement in Norway with her older siblings at age 13
-   a day scout by profession, but competent in many endeavors: cooking, sewing, farming, and minor first aid; able to read and write, and learned some arithmetic
-   loves animals, but knows how to do what a farm girl (or any good scout, for that matter) must do
-   slightly famous for once killing a deer-beast by jumping out of a tree, feet first, onto (into) its back; is pleased but a bit embarrassed at the attention this has gotten her
-   rather obsessed with old architecture
-   really wishes she was a mage, knows some theory and sketches runes, but has none of that elusive talent: no dreams, no sixth sense, no levitating, no nothing
-   on the flip side, she partly believes in the old-world religion “Christianity” taught her by her great-grandparents as a  little girl; no one knows this other than a few family members
-   knows a few Finnish words and phrases
-   kind of gullible and easily distractible

One question: is the premise here that: these are people Torbjorn &co. considered for the mission but rejected; people who just live in the known world; or people who went on new missions to the silent world after Torbjorn &co. became rich and famous?

I will try to make myself post at least one drawing of my SSSSona in the next 24 hours.

Here is your slide on the infodump! https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13uzpOibHVPGaUXxIKW_8oPM4SiYfZjCU2d4QyFWuPjY/edit#slide=id.g99a0f29f7_0_0
I look forward to seeing the artwork of your character :D

Also, you were not far off from making the flags correctly -- the only thing wrong was that the coding can't have a capital letter in it (:Sweden:). All you need to do is type it like this; : sweden : (But without the spaces, obviously :) )
:sweden: :denmark: :norway: :finland: :iceland:
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • i am just a littol creachur
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #738 on: April 21, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »
I just read through this entire thread and now I really need to make a ssssona. *ponders what kind of character to be*
fluent - :usa:
decentish - :mexico:
starting to learn - :finland: :japan:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #739 on: April 21, 2015, 05:30:11 PM »
Ok, here we go...

Name: Día Vikarsdóttir
Nationality: Icelandic
Immunity: Yes
Profession: Mechanic
Languages: :iceland:, :brazil: (the remainings of the language of her ancestors)

- Basically, a small group of brazilian tourists got stuck in Iceland in Year Zero. They eventually adjusted to their new lives, creating a community based on their shared nationality. Día's great-grandparents and grandparents got married inside this community, but Día's mother married an Icelander.
- Día's father is an engineer, and she took after him. She is a travelling mechanic, working wherever there's job available.
- She loves to dismantle things to see how they work, and has a vast collection of gears, screws and other little pieces that she finds along the way.
- She also LOVES building Rube Goldberg's machines, which can often prove itselves a waste of time, if not disastrous.
- She talks to machines more than she talks to people, and can isolate herself from the world when she's working or repairing something.

native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #740 on: April 21, 2015, 05:42:11 PM »
Ok, here we go...

Languages: :iceland:, :brazil: (the remainings of the language of her ancestors)

- Basically, a small group of brazilian tourists got stuck in Iceland in Year Zero. They eventually adjusted to their new lives, creating a community based on their shared nationality. Día's great-grandparents and grandparents got married inside this community, but Día's mother married an Icelander.
- Día's father is an engineer, and she took after him. She is a travelling mechanic, working wherever there's job available.
- She loves to dismantle things to see how they work, and has a vast collection of gears, screws and other little pieces that she finds along the way.
- She also LOVES building Rube Goldberg's machines, which can often prove itselves a waste of time, if not disastrous.
- She talks to machines more than she talks to people, and can isolate herself from the world when she's working or repairing something.

Cute!
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #741 on: April 21, 2015, 05:52:25 PM »
Ok, here we go...

That's cute! We could use a Rude Goldberg machine of some sort in the fan van actually. Like a machine that kicks you out bed, drags you to the dining space and puts food in front of you.

Or we could just hire someone for that, but a machine would be great.

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #742 on: April 21, 2015, 06:00:54 PM »
I have finally made a SSSSona!

Name: Maria Skjöldursdottir
Nationality: Korean-American
Immunity: No
Role: Mage
Languages: :usa: :southkorea: (These languages might be funky), and :iceland:.

A mage that has been working as a full-time healer/support mage since she finished her training. She is often used as a mage of defense, primarily writing/carving runes for protection or luck. Born and raised in Reykjavík, Iceland. Her ancestors, coming from the US, went to Iceland for a relaxing trip, but eventually settled in.
- Has skills in healing, and can travel in dreams without too much trouble.
- Her fighting skills are average.
- Using spells for the offensive is only slightly better.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:10:04 PM by Silenter »
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #743 on: April 21, 2015, 06:06:36 PM »
That's cute! We could use a Rude Goldberg machine of some sort in the fan van actually. Like a machine that kicks you out bed, drags you to the dining space and puts food in front of you.

Or we could just hire someone for that, but a machine would be great.

BEST. TYPO. EVER.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #744 on: April 21, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »
HELLO new crew members!!!!!!!

I'm stepping up my art trade game
Fimbulvarg, troll puncher extraordinai- hang on is that a chainsaw

(first and last time drawing a chainsaw)
you'll know where to find me.

wildfire

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Cleanser of worlds
« Reply #745 on: April 21, 2015, 06:37:04 PM »
I tried really hard..

I'm sorry for bad quality. There are several reasons:
1) I haven't drawn properly since I was 14
2) The apartment I live in haven't got very good lighting
3) My mobile camera isn't the best, even though it's pretty good
4) My uploads lose quality when uploaded

I might update my drawing of Iða, especially since I think this went MUCH BETTER THAN EXPECTED and hope to UP my drawing game.

Also you guys are hecka inspiring I must say, I've never wanted to draw so bad I actually went through with it - not since I was 14. You must all be Mages with Magic Powers. Or you must be SuperAwesome. Or both.
• :norway: :usa: :uk: :denmark: :sweden: :germany: •

And in the light of the sun we go, through rain and raging snow, to find the things we do not know

Quabus

« Reply #746 on: April 21, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »
Here is your slide on the infodump! https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13uzpOibHVPGaUXxIKW_8oPM4SiYfZjCU2d4QyFWuPjY/edit#slide=id.g99a0f29f7_0_0
I look forward to seeing the artwork of your character :D

Also, you were not far off from making the flags correctly -- the only thing wrong was that the coding can't have a capital letter in it (:Sweden:). All you need to do is type it like this; : sweden : (But without the spaces, obviously :) )
:sweden: :denmark: :norway: :finland: :iceland:

Thanks for the tip and for making my slide! I'll edit that in a moment.

Drawings of Clara:

(disclaimer: I shall never claim to be good at drawing. Be forewarned.)

It's a floating head. O.o She always braids her hair so it wouldn't be visible anyway.

I also drew some scenes from her profile because I thought it would be fun to torture everyone with my bad drawings. Grew up on a farm: check. Moved to Hitra: check. Killed a deer-beast, became famous: check.

Other random doodles:

Another couple questions: do you think the military settlement is at Hitra? It's close enough, anyway.
Is there anywhere to discuss the possible history of Denmark being evacuated? Now that I've started to think about it, I'd be interested in theories, but I don't want to spam this thread. (probably I'd never actually say anything, given my history on the forum, but I'd read other people's opinions.)
Do you think it would be possible for someone with no magic talent to carve runes and then a mage to imbue them with magic, or that a mage would have to do the whole process themselves? I guess there's probably a thread for that too. *grumblemumble*

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #747 on: April 21, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »
Another couple questions: do you think the military settlement is at Hitra? It's close enough, anyway.
Is there anywhere to discuss the possible history of Denmark being evacuated? Now that I've started to think about it, I'd be interested in theories, but I don't want to spam this thread. (probably I'd never actually say anything, given my history on the forum, but I'd read other people's opinions.)

Do you think it would be possible for someone with no magic talent to carve runes and then a mage to imbue them with magic, or that a mage would have to do the whole process themselves? I guess there's probably a thread for that too. *grumblemumble*

Hi, Quabus.  There is at least a thread for the latter:  http://ssssforum.pcriot.com/index.php?topic=66.0 ... and you'll find a lot of people eager to discuss that topic with you. 

As for your first question, we don't have a thread addressing it yet -- although it's an interesting issue!  The closest parallel is discussing what happened to the Faroe Islands.  And some of the Survivor Communities Outside the Known World posts touch on areas at the edge of Denmark. 

I encourage you to start a thread on that topic.  Even if you don't want to go on at length, I bet you'll get plenty of opinions to read.   :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:09:07 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #748 on: April 21, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »
Next ficlett in the works. This is for the scouts. It's tenitive title is 'Running Blind' is there anyone who would like to be featured PM me.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #749 on: April 21, 2015, 09:44:56 PM »
ok i'm gonna FIGHT SOMETHING since 3 of you posted all at once just as i thought i was done D: quabus you will be included.... in the next batch. i am so sorry.

From left to right, because my handwriting is literally unintelligible here: Oh Deer, tabeabd, silenter, wildfire
Daéa, RealRedCloudYT
Elrew, KicknRun, princeofdoom, StellersJayC

You guys are all super adorable!! I love your character designs • v •  Keep it up!

Also, Haiz, that's so cool!! I hate drawing chainsaws as well but DANG YOU MADE IT LOOK GOOD what a cool draw omg
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:47:01 PM by Curry »
YEET