Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842741 times)

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #4995 on: November 17, 2016, 08:38:47 AM »
Welcome finndutchican and PickleChip! ^w^

As far as I know there's no height chart, but there's some pictures of their heights compared to each other:
Spoiler: show

I guess we'll have to ask Minna for estimates of their heights.

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
« Reply #4996 on: November 17, 2016, 01:41:02 PM »

This is Björn Eriksson, Åleta's kinda-sorta-maybe boyfriend. They have been neighbors and best friends since they were 5. Everyone has a had bets on when they will finally be together. He is a woodcarver and likes to makes dala horses.

This is Åleta reading to her half siblings. Their names are Mörten (3) and Nora (6) Svärdson
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:04:38 PM by PickleChip »
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

finndutchican

• En garde! (She/her pronouns)
« Reply #4997 on: November 21, 2016, 11:53:12 PM »
I have a few more quick (like seriously sloppy) drawings of my SSSSona, and also some reworking of her bio:

Name:  Helmi Astrid Laitinen
Nationality:  Finn/Dane (Finnish father, Danish mother), grew up in Finland and doesn't speak Danish
Immunity:  Yes (but is a hypochondriac despite this)
Profession:  Skald, military
Languages:  Finnish, Icelandic (but is very bad at speaking Icelandic -- pretty much just reads it)

Helmi was born in Finland to a Danish mother and Finnish father.  Her parents divorced when she was a toddler, and she only met her mother a few more times before she died in the Danish land reclamation attempt.  She knows her mother was a respected academic, and Helmi shares her thirst for knowledge, poring over any old-world tomes she can get her hands on.  Her father works in the Finnish "navy" and comes and goes from Keuruu, helping the ferries to run.

Helmi is primarily a skald working at Keuruu, but also has some combat training and helps out with missions outside the walls of Keuruu when greater manpower is needed, like when a scout finds a particularly nasty troll.  Hence her sword.  She is not a mage, since she has very little spirituality for a Finn.  Friends who are mages are constantly trying to get her to at least show a layman's sensitivity to magic, but so far it hasn't worked.

The half-Finn/half-Danish aspect comes from my own half-Finn half-Dutch ethnicity.  I got the idea from the fact that when my friend recommended SSSS to me, she got Danish and Dutch mixed up and told me there were Dutch characters.  I was ecstatic at the idea of a webcomic so specifically tailored to my interests, but it turned out that she had just made a (very common in America) mix-up.  (But if the Dutch were in SSSS, I feel like they'd play a pretty similar role to the Danish.  I mean, land reclamation?  That's got the Dutch written all over it!  ..Anyway, I digress.)

Helmi is the name of my great-grandmother, and then the rest of this character's name I made up.

Also, Helmi was saved by Lalli once, two years ago:

This was before she had much experience with missions outside the walls of Keuruu, and she got distracted while reading an ancient plaque she found.  Soon enough, a beast snuck up on her.  She fumbled with her sword, dropping it, and sprinted away as fast as she could.  Luckily for her, Lalli happened to be scouting nearby and was able to kill the beast.  She's gotten significantly better at not freaking out outside the walls since then.

Please enjoy!
Fluent: :usa:
Okay:  :spain:
Learning:  :netherlands:
Want to learn:   :finland:

"Finndutchican":  Noun.  A half-Finnish, half-Dutch American.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4998 on: November 22, 2016, 03:43:41 AM »
Thanks for the padded-out description, finndutchican, and I love the composition of that last illustration, great action.
Also thanks to PickleChip, your character is fun.

Only kinda sorta fun is the next chapter in my story.  It swings around a bit in mood, and is longer than most of the other chapters, but some things happen and then some other things happen and it's all very character-building.  Lots of SSSSonas, but especially watch out for Sofie and her amazing developing spine.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/19773754

Special guest appearance by a SSSSona that has not yet been featured in this story, any guesses whose?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:50:03 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #4999 on: November 22, 2016, 08:51:41 AM »
Thanks for the padded-out description, finndutchican, and I love the composition of that last illustration, great action.
Also thanks to PickleChip, your character is fun.

Only kinda sorta fun is the next chapter in my story.  It swings around a bit in mood, and is longer than most of the other chapters, but some things happen and then some other things happen and it's all very character-building.  Lots of SSSSonas, but especially watch out for Sofie and her amazing developing spine.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/19773754

Special guest appearance by a SSSSona that has not yet been featured in this story, any guesses whose?

Huh, so is Ilya (and by extension, Reynir) attracted to foreign magic? Or is it just certain mages?
Or do they sense the plot armor that comes from being a named character?
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5000 on: November 22, 2016, 03:06:15 PM »
Huh, so is Ilya (and by extension, Reynir) attracted to foreign magic? Or is it just certain mages?
Or do they sense the plot armor that comes from being a named character?
I'm leaving the science of what makes an anchor alone at this point.  I am working with the general idea of *all* people being discernible in the dreamworld to some degree, and Ilya was showing Reynir that those impressions and energies carry properties that can be used to navigate between worlds to some degree.  Ilya's no scientist, though, just someone getting by with the hand they're dealt.  Reynir has been using anchors unconsciously.
The hugely attractive ones are the anchors.  Not all anchors are mages - in fact the only other anchor I've blatantly identified before this chapter is Birgitta, Jodis' girlfriend on the quarantine ship.  Jodis mentioned two at her base in Norway, whom she hired specifically to lure Ilya.  We know of one in the kitchen back in Helvetia, but I didn't specify who.  I guess it's no spoiler, because it actually has no bearing on the plot, but Olaf the cook in Norway is one anchor, and so is Heike.  I suspect Birkir Einarson back in Iceland may be one as well, although not that powerful. 
Lalli and Onni have both seen Ilya running while they were in their havens, but from a distance.  They're not anchors.  :(  Onni has no special powers to detect Ilya's presence at the base in Norway, either.
Plot armour, heh.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #5001 on: November 24, 2016, 01:20:38 PM »
Finally caught up on your superhero AU Wavewright. Been busy with family stuff and trying to badger people to get details of positions I'm applying for.

awesome as always.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5002 on: November 24, 2016, 02:35:02 PM »
Finally caught up on your superhero AU Wavewright. Been busy with family stuff and trying to badger people to get details of positions I'm applying for.

awesome as always.

Aww thanks, hope the applications pan out well.  Didn't you notice....anything vaguely familiar?

Edit: The challenge was: finding a way to incorporate Strelock into the story.  This was one of two ways I nutted out.
I found your comment, and have made the requisite adjustments to the encounter with Strelock!  I seemed to have missed that leeetle detail.  I used the original SSSSona guide for languages, age, character picture, etc, looked again at the various threads for more details, then whizzed through the various RP threads, and still managed to miss the fact that Strelock is female.
Actually, this clears some of the mighty confusion I had over the GoT crossover fic, too, now that I think about it!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 03:03:51 PM by wavewright62 »

Solokov

« Reply #5003 on: November 24, 2016, 05:04:42 PM »
Yeah at some point I realized that the way I was playing Strelock in the RP was closer to the sister character I had for his backstory... So I ultimately decided "meh" and rolled with it. Granted all her documents with the danish military are labeled as a male due to a clerical error that she gave up arguing about because she'd get it changed and for a few months it was right and then some skald who hasn't seen the light of day for months because of a mountain of backlog in records would compare the new documents to the ones on file in the archives and ultimately take the stance "well the archive's can't be wrong", take corrective actions and re-issue amended paperwork and start the cycle all over again.

I decided turning it into a joke on military bureaucracy that only anyone who's ever had to deal with such a clerical error would get, so far no one's commented on it in RP, but granted it's been only a few hours in rp... since you know what I think only Gwenno's character is the only one out there that probably read the paperwork on who's who in the expedition and she's the only one who's heard Strelock referred to as "her" now that I think on it, and that was by Arbet which ultimately could be blamed on accent anyway...

*realizes I'm horribly tangled up in [PLOT] webbing and can't stuggle out of it* anyone got a knife and can cut me down before lore spiders get me?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5004 on: November 28, 2016, 02:53:35 AM »
Please enjoy herewith chap. 21 in Reynir's superhero AU story, in which Lalli seems to be the answer to those niggling questions:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/19899952

Solokov

« Reply #5005 on: November 28, 2016, 04:08:55 AM »
I can't imagine what Turri is thinking right now...

Actually, I can "Oh god's they took my little cousin out there!"
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #5006 on: November 28, 2016, 01:09:59 PM »
Please enjoy herewith chap. 21 in Reynir's superhero AU story, in which Lalli seems to be the answer to those niggling questions:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/19899952
I can't imagine what Turri is thinking right now...

Actually, I can "Oh god's they took my little cousin out there!"

Pretty much. Also, while I don't much like this AU-Emil, he is pretty damn hilarious.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Solokov

« Reply #5007 on: November 28, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »
Ok, I did actually make that post. I was worried I'd fallen asleep typing and hadn't actually posted my thoughts on the latest update.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5008 on: December 03, 2016, 08:39:31 PM »
Chapter 22 is up, a short one but hopefully enjoyable.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/20042425

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5009 on: January 02, 2017, 10:17:35 PM »
*revives moribund thread, and nearly-moribund story*

After a bit of a hiatus to fulfill some holiday challenges, I bring another chapter of the story:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/20828407
No action, but that should come soon.  In fact, I envision only about 3-4 more chapters and an epilogue to wrap up the whole thing.  Cheers to both of you still reading!