Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2496999 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #4320 on: June 19, 2015, 10:24:57 PM »
I love Aksel and Sigrun (prologue) so much and I ship them so hard so I drew a little goofy comic with them.

And if anybody's interested, I decided to document my process for these goofy things.
Spoiler: show
1. The actually fun part. I scrabble and doodle and brainstorm until I've got something I like. I just use some cheap copy paper and a mechanical pencil, then scan it and darken it in picmonkey so it's more visible. Most of my ideas come from real life or from other people's ideas: in this case, these two dorks are reenacting an exchange between me and one of my sisters. My thought process here was A) Aksel is like head and shoulders over Sigrun that is so freakin' cute. B) I bet that he hugs on her all the time C) Hahaha, "Amoeba." (Some of the other stuff on here might get developed further: probably not, though.)

2. Things start getting less fun. I actually figure out the technicalities of getting my joke across: how many panels, can I squish them, words where and how, etc. I'm still excited at this point, but this is when I start to get that sinking feeling. It's just not very good, you know?

3. "Fair copy." Actually worse than the first draft, if that was possible. Who the heck am I kidding. This is a stupid idea, I'm a horrible excuse for an artist, I can't ever do anything good, and why do I even try. Why am I still drawing. You know what? I'm not going to do it. I'm not going to finish it. You can't make me, I refuse. I'm going to bed and never doing anything ever again because look at how ugly and awful and UGH why do I inflict my stuff on other people. Because I'm a needy egoist, that's why. I hate myself so much, I hate my work, I hate the world, I hate this pencil, I hate this paper, I hate this comic, I hate everything. I just want to go to sleep and never wake up again.

Then I scan it, darken it, put it on the forum, people say nice things, I melt into a happy puddle, and later repeat the process all over again, loathing everything I've ever drawn before.
And that, my friends, is the definition of insanity.

Eeee! I love that and I love Aksel and Sigrun; this is wonderful ^v^

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #4321 on: June 19, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
I can relate to this 100%. We can totally have neighbouring cells when they put us in the insane asylum. ;D

And as always, your lovely comic put a smile on my face :)
I need this whole speech engraved in reverse on my glasses so I can see it forever. Ira Glass on Storytelling (But replace "years" with "decades" because it's been ten years and I'm still nowhere near where I want to be)
And thank you for the compliment! That's the only reason I keep doing these things, because I like to make others smile.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #4322 on: June 19, 2015, 10:32:18 PM »
So many cute stuff here!!
Welcome aboard, BlondeGinger. Be warned, once you get caught up here there's no way out. But you will have lots of fun! :)

RTR: I'M FANGIRLING SO HARD RIGHT NOW (Aksel and Sigrun!!!). I love this so much. I must admit I'm a bit jealous: you got their adorable height difference right (*looks back angrily at own drawing*). And don't waste your time hating things, waste your time drawing. More Aksel and Sigrun, if you please. Thank you.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
« Reply #4323 on: June 19, 2015, 10:47:29 PM »
RTR: I'M FANGIRLING SO HARD RIGHT NOW (Aksel and Sigrun!!!). I love this so much. I must admit I'm a bit jealous: you got their adorable height difference right (*looks back angrily at own drawing*). And don't waste your time hating things, waste your time drawing. More Aksel and Sigrun, if you please. Thank you.
UGH, if you INSIST, I guess I'll HAVE to draw MORE of those cuties being cutie-patooties together. SUCH a hardship. :P
(Not now, though, now I need to attend to responsibilities and then go to sleep.)
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #4324 on: June 19, 2015, 11:19:08 PM »
Oh my various deities that is beautiful, Jesty. The smiley pictures quietly washed away all of my "oh noes there's still a dog in there ;_;" feels, and curly-Lalli is freaking hilarious.

Does that mean Emil was playing Hair Salon?

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4325 on: June 19, 2015, 11:24:07 PM »
Does that mean Emil was playing Hair Salon?

...After that, Emil was no longer considered a "friend". :D

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4326 on: June 20, 2015, 02:20:50 AM »
I love Aksel and Sigrun (prologue) so much and I ship them so hard so I drew a little goofy comic with them.

And if anybody's interested, I decided to document my process for these goofy things.
1. The actually fun part. I scrabble and doodle and brainstorm until I've got something I like. I just use some cheap copy paper and a mechanical pencil, then scan it and darken it in picmonkey so it's more visible. Most of my ideas come from real life or from other people's ideas: in this case, these two dorks are reenacting an exchange between me and one of my sisters. My thought process here was A) Aksel is like head and shoulders over Sigrun that is so freakin' cute. B) I bet that he hugs on her all the time C) Hahaha, "Amoeba." (Some of the other stuff on here might get developed further: probably not, though.)

I love seeing the process.  I'm fairly sure that conceptual cycle's familiar to all cartoonists -- Charles Schulz, Walt Kelly, or Oliphant, just as much as Minna, Boulet, or any other modern-day cartoonist. 

Speaking of conceptual... do you mind transcribing the dialog in your sketches?  It looks like significant milestones for the Great Eide Family History are happening there.

Also, I like the way you show Aksel and Prologue-Sigrun's interactions.  I used to think she was just a jerk and felt kind of sorry for Aksel for ending up with her, but you make them cute together.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4327 on: June 20, 2015, 03:16:06 AM »

I love these, they're just... adorable! And I much agree on who's the cutest.  :-*

ALL THE SMILING LALLIS YES PLEASE. Aaaah this was a perfect cute thing to wake up to!

Nice work, especially Lalli's legs are really well done, the tunic looks also great! I don't think there's much more I can teach you really. :D

AAAAHAHAHA this is so cute and hilarious! :D Besides I really, really love these prologue dorks as well so if you're going to draw them more I would not complain, not at all.

Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #4328 on: June 20, 2015, 05:00:16 AM »
*flops around in a puddle of feel-good compliments*
Thank you all, I tried almost my most best ;w; And I am glad I was able to make some of you guys happy through a very depressing spider-doggy moment u_u

And heh, believe or not, I had to practice drawing Lalli smile. Here's a few sketches I did of Lalli being completely out of character :P

Spoiler:  The Different Types of Lallis • show

We have a Lalli high on catnip, an Lalli trying to smile, a "maybe...kind of...one" Lalli, a "nnnooo" Lalli
and on the bottom half we have an Awkward-Lalli and a Lalli saying "Look mom! My Spell made the stars appear!"
a sarcastic Lalli and last but definitely the most best:
a Laughing Lalli becoming totally embarrassing while Tuuri says,"I knew one of my weird jokes would work!" :3   

*goes back to drawing Curly-haired ssss crew*

oh
my
god
YES
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4329 on: June 20, 2015, 05:05:02 AM »
*crashes through window* I HEARD THERE WAS TALK OF ART SUPPLIES??
if you wanna get a really cool drawy thing but not spend all your budget on ALL THE COLOURS *coughs guiltily*, may I suggest the wonder that is a brush pen?

look at those lines, you just fwoosh and WHOA INSTANT ART. it makes everything you draw look cool. I think I converted North, she can probably verify

and to keep it on-topic;

....... my brush pen isn't very thin so it's easier to draw larger things without messing up (SORRY TUURI). I have to admit this thread makes me miss my inks and watercolours back home something fierce, but at least I brought my brush pen. at least I have that.

jesty: seeing those smily lallis first thing in the morning is the best way to start a day tbh

Violas: ooohhh wowwww NICE. I agree with Laufey that the legs and tunic turned out very well, especially the shadowss

RTR: ahahaaa that's adorable. Seeing process is always Very Cool, and I find prologue-Sigrun's "I WANT BABIES" in the idea-dump absolutely hilarious

also that on storytelling-video is a Very Good video. my advice to any and all creative things is always just a lot of chanting "JUST KEEP SWIMMING JUST KEEP SWIMMING" in one way or another
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4330 on: June 20, 2015, 05:08:20 AM »
if you wanna get a really cool drawy thing but not spend all your budget on ALL THE COLOURS *coughs guiltily*, may I suggest the wonder that is a brush pen?

and to keep it on-topic;

Brush pens are life. I wonder if mine are still any good... that's some really nice fwooshing you've done there by the way, please accept some fangirling from me!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Kizzy

• Not online everyday :c
« Reply #4331 on: June 20, 2015, 05:40:05 AM »

Yesss, cute Tuuri is my weakness ;o; and you've drawn her so well! It's rare to find chubby anime(sque) characters.

And heh, believe or not, I had to practice drawing Lalli smile. Here's a few sketches I did of Lalli being completely out of character :P

Don't care if he's OOC cuz he looks super adorable and precious ❤

....... my brush pen isn't very thin so it's easier to draw larger things without messing up (SORRY TUURI). I have to admit this thread makes me miss my inks and watercolours back home something fierce, but at least I brought my brush pen. at least I have that.

Those lines look yummy. I love how flowy Sigrun's hair is *touches*

----

For those who would like Copic alternatives, I would suggest either Promarkers, Touch markers, or Neopiko.

Propmarkers tend to be readily available from what I gather and are the cheapest of the bunch; they blend quite well and merge nicely with other kind of markers. The down side to it is that it's cartridge doesn't hold much ink, it's not refillable and the nibs are not good for small drawings. The colors are also limited.

Touch Markers is a Chinese product and their brush aren't exactly the best (heard that they get ruined easily). Besides that I'm not so sure how good they are. 160 US dollars for a set of 60 seems good to me (a set of 72 copic markers reaches to 300 US dollars...).

Neopiko is considered by some to be a cheaper alternative for copics. They blend well and have a good amount of color variations. It's by the same company that produces Deleter manga tools.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 05:45:10 AM by Kizzy »
Fluent: :usa:
Decent:
Should know but doesn't: , Visaya
Wants to know: :finland: :iceland:, Persian, Navajo
Forgot: :spain: :france:

Chapter Survive
:chap7:

Instagram (=ↀωↀ=) Tumblr

Rosepieces

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4332 on: June 20, 2015, 07:46:24 AM »
Next up in my HTD series: Emil!

Emil = [Fire = ( ) ( ) ( )] + ketchup + mustard + ******

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #4333 on: June 20, 2015, 08:28:52 AM »

look at those lines, you just fwoosh and WHOA INSTANT ART. it makes everything you draw look cool. I think I converted North, she can probably verify

and to keep it on-topic;

Ooooh Haiz nice fwooshing! Also more things to buy! I am never going to be able to afford food again...
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
« Reply #4334 on: June 20, 2015, 10:46:14 AM »
I love seeing the process.  I'm fairly sure that conceptual cycle's familiar to all cartoonists -- Charles Schulz, Walt Kelly, or Oliphant, just as much as Minna, Boulet, or any other modern-day cartoonist. 

Speaking of conceptual... do you mind transcribing the dialog in your sketches?  It looks like significant milestones for the Great Eide Family History are happening there.

Also, I like the way you show Aksel and Prologue-Sigrun's interactions.  I used to think she was just a jerk and felt kind of sorry for Aksel for ending up with her, but you make them cute together.
She reminds me of several people I know (some of them happily married). I mean, we only saw a little bit of her, but she strikes me as the kind who speaks her mind and has absolutely no filter. Drama-queen worry-wart Aksel probably needs some blunt, asinine common sense as a counter-balance. Plus the teasing. (Oh Aksel, you're such an easy mark.) If I felt like he was going to be completely overwhelmed or terrorized by Prologue-Sigrun then I wouldn't see them as a good match, but the whole "ignore any excuses for what I want from others" thing makes me think he can hold his own.
And dialogue.
*ahem*

Aksel: "This is nice."
Sigrun: "I WANT BABIES."

Aksel: "Sweetie, I just don't know-"
Sigrun: "You don't want kids?"
Aksel: "No, I do, but-"
Sigrun: "You don't want kids with me?"
Aksel: "I-what?"
Sigrun: "Who is she?"
Aksel: "Who's who?"
Sigrun: "There's more than one??"
Aksel: "I didn't-"
Sigrun: "I want a divorce."
Aksel: "What??"

Aksel: "Sigrun, I just don't know if I can be a dad."
*insert various comforting fluff here*
*there is definitely a nose kiss*

Aksel: "So, a baby, huh?"
Sigrun: "Yes, a little girl with red hair and blue eyes."
Aksel: "Oh, we're having a girl?"
Sigrun: "Yes, and we'll name her after me."

*40 weeks or so later*
Aksel: "Well, he's not a girl."
Sigrun: "Shut up. I never said I wanted a girl."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:51:17 AM by RandomTexanReader »
John Steinbeck