Author Topic: Cosplay  (Read 142769 times)

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Cosplay
« Reply #510 on: January 20, 2016, 03:25:39 PM »
more wips

can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

LadyRamkin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #511 on: January 20, 2016, 09:00:54 PM »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #512 on: January 21, 2016, 05:44:12 PM »

SIGRUN SWEATER HIGH FIVE

That looks really good already, can't wait to see it finished!

Meanwhile I decided to re-do a few parts of my Reynir cosplay, mostly because we finally got a good look at the "coins" on his sweater on the page where the ghost attacked him. Those are magical staves, no doubt about it, so I decided to switch mine with - well, staves. Tried to pick some that would be relevant so they're mostly for protection against ghosts and for ensuring peaceful sleep (and one that makes sure you don't get lost). I'm also trying to make them a bit better quality this time and in general more like the ones on his sweater, so they'll be smaller, thinner and there'll be more of them this time.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #513 on: January 21, 2016, 05:52:21 PM »

Meanwhile I decided to re-do a few parts of my Reynir cosplay, mostly because we finally got a good look at the "coins" on his sweater on the page where the ghost attacked him. Those are magical staves, no doubt about it, so I decided to switch mine with - well, staves. Tried to pick some that would be relevant so they're mostly for protection against ghosts and for ensuring peaceful sleep (and one that makes sure you don't get lost). I'm also trying to make them a bit better quality this time and in general more like the ones on his sweater, so they'll be smaller, thinner and there'll be more of them this time.

/presses face to computer screen
Those. Are. So cool. : D Good thinking re: using ones against ghosts and such. ...And of course he would need one to prevent from getting lost. Of course.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #514 on: January 21, 2016, 05:55:56 PM »

Wow ! Great job ! :D You'll be a fabulous Reynir ! (I was already jealous of your coat before... ^^)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #515 on: January 21, 2016, 07:22:06 PM »
SIGRUN SWEATER HIGH FIVE

That looks really good already, can't wait to see it finished!
thaaanks

I can't wait for that time too, and I can't wait to wear it finally!
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #516 on: January 23, 2016, 03:52:24 PM »

Wigs look kinda silly while you're working on them... in other words Reynir needed new front curls so now we're waiting over the night to see if I managed actual, lasting curls this time. ;D

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #517 on: January 24, 2016, 07:36:47 AM »

Alright, now we're talking!

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #518 on: January 24, 2016, 08:14:12 AM »

Alright, now we're talking!

Honest to goodness but how do you do this?? ?? I can't style a wig for the life of me and this looks so perfectly Reynir-curled. Please share your cosplay expertise oh great master >"< (seriously tho, how did you manage this? I'd really really like to know!)
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #519 on: January 24, 2016, 08:56:16 AM »
Honest to goodness but how do you do this?? ?? I can't style a wig for the life of me and this looks so perfectly Reynir-curled. Please share your cosplay expertise oh great master >"< (seriously tho, how did you manage this? I'd really really like to know!)

No prollem!

The first step was to do the braid (or in this case re-do it because it was messy and escaping the braid): I brushed out the wig as well as I could, divided it in three and sprayed a little bit of water on each partition to keep them tidy while I braided them. I tied the braid, attached coins and then added some pretty hardcore hairspray on it to further "glue" the braid tidy.

For the front I did the thing you see in my previous photo: rolled up strands of wig and attached them with a pin (although curlers would probably work well for this too). Then I heated the rolls with a blow dryer, let them cool down and carefully unfolded them. I tore the ready curls into smaller sections by hand - if you brush them out you just get a poodle effect. Those I arranged where I wanted to have them and again used the hairspray to finish the work.

Careful with the heat though, if you're curling a non-heat resistant wig like this one heating it too much will frizz it. I went for 30-40s each curl, moving the dryer all the time.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #520 on: January 24, 2016, 09:08:17 AM »
No prollem!

The first step was to do the braid (or in this case re-do it because it was messy and escaping the braid): I brushed out the wig as well as I could, divided it in three and sprayed a little bit of water on each partition to keep them tidy while I braided them. I tied the braid, attached coins and then added some pretty hardcore hairspray on it to further "glue" the braid tidy.

For the front I did the thing you see in my previous photo: rolled up strands of wig and attached them with a pin (although curlers would probably work well for this too). Then I heated the rolls with a blow dryer, let them cool down and carefully unfolded them. I tore the ready curls into smaller sections by hand - if you brush them out you just get a poodle effect. Those I arranged where I wanted to have them and again used the hairspray to finish the work.

Careful with the heat though, if you're curling a non-heat resistant wig like this one heating it too much will frizz it. I went for 30-40s each curl, moving the dryer all the time.

Thank you ^_^ That's exactly the kind of practical advice I needed. Can't wait to see the even more finished cosplay in its full glory :3
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #521 on: January 24, 2016, 01:58:19 PM »
more wips

Wow! After that, I would like to learn how to knit.

I admire your attention to details! I love details, too.
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #522 on: January 24, 2016, 06:59:29 PM »
I thought, if I buy a wig I can style it, but I am not that good, and I don't have that head for putting the wig on, which means I have nothing to put the wig on to style it..... so it looks weird and not that good

buuuut I also thought, I let my hair grow and dye it some kind og ginger and use my real hair, which I can style easier. it is still could grow a bit but almost good yet.

moonamaija

• Tumblr
« Reply #523 on: January 24, 2016, 07:29:14 PM »

Cosplay updates again, I hope this isn't getting too repetitive...

Trousers in action. Pay no attention to the belts, they're there just to, uh, be belts. More action in the cut.

Spoiler: show

These trolls are friends.

Next I had this wonderful idea that since the yard on this side is basically a steep hill I could jump down it for some really cool action photos. Except there were two catches.

First of all all the photos turned out blurry... and secondly I can't manage a graceful landing if my life depended on it.

I'm just not really very good at this athletic stuff, sorry. :D

This is the face of giving up + SNOW SURE IS COLD WHODA THUNK.

~*FIN*~

Omfg your cosplay looks awesome! All the overstitching is so nice and even :o How did you decide on the embroidery? I mean, is that based on something or did you improvise it? I'm planning Lalli's and Tuuri's Keuruu tunic cosplay and I'm trying to decide if I should make the embroidery more detailed than is shown. Also, could you maybe share what kind of patterns you used, esp for the trousers? Previously I have made historically semi-accurate tunics and trousers like this: http://imgur.com/yXSidEM but obviously that kind of trousers won't do.

Also, I would be really interested in anyone's opinion on Lalli's Keuruu tunic, since it's kinda inconsistent. http://imgur.com/yXSidEM shows one long-sleeved shirt, but a page later in http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=91 it's clearly two shirts, a short-sleeved tunic on top. Later in Mora (http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=131) it's consistently one long-sleeved shirt. I personally like the layered look more, even if it seems a continuity error. The collar ribbon changes place too, higher and lower in the collar opening. Does anyone know how other cosplayers have done that costume? Are there even others? Whatever I decide to do, should Lalli's and Tuuri's tunics be similar? Yeah, I can do whatever I want in cosplay, but I'd like my choices to be if not accurate, at least justifiable.
But Crowley remembered what Heaven was like, and it had quite a few things in common with Hell. You couldn't get a decent drink in either of them, for a start. And the boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #524 on: January 25, 2016, 02:40:59 AM »
Martti: the wig heads are really cheap and they help a LOT with wig styling (I could not heat-curl a wig without one), so it's definitely worth the money to get one!

snip

Thank you! The seam embroidery is based on real finds but I've also taken some liberties with it (like using two colours instead of just one), considering we'd be 90 years in the future and... ok that was an excuse, I just wanted to do it like that. :-[ The stitch type is based on Mammen wire embroidery finds. As for the collar, I just kind of took ideas from the wallpaper that showed the crew as they were before they ever signed up for the trip. Sigrun's tunic collar opens at the chest and seems like it could possibly-maybe have the otherwise trademark ribbon decorations nearly every military uniform we've seen so far has and imitated that with embroidery.

For patterns both the tunic and the shirt follow the same pattern you have in your link, except the shirt underneath also has a rectangular collar cover like the one shown here (scroll down a bit). Scroll a bit further down and you'll find the pattern I used for the trousers - I didn't have a ready pattern so I just calculated the right size for each piece for myself. It was a bit a lot of work but I think the end outcome looks pretty nice! Still, SSSS happens in Y90 so you don't have to be "viking-accurate" when you make the cosplay unless you want to, in which case high five fellow clothing history nerd!

Shirt inconsistencies: I think the likeliest explanation is that the overtunic can easily be removed and that the shirt is the default everyone wears normally. Maybe I'm trying too hard to logic this, but the way I see it is that Lalli simply put it on between those two pages while the little steamboat takes some time to travel past the old city. Maybe he got cold? :D In any case I'd say you can go either way, only use the shirt or a shirt + tunic combo, both exist in canon as you pointed out. Same goes for the collar, since you have "options" in canon you can just go with the one that you like best. Tuuri and Lalli's shirts should be similar in my opinion, they're both in the military and the shirts are a part of the uniform so... same shirt, different sizes. Post photos when you're done by the way, I wanna seeeee~