Author Topic: Cosplay  (Read 142779 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: Cosplay
« Reply #495 on: January 05, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »
I hope you are sewing with a waxed thread, Laufey? Makes the whole thing faster, smoother and much less likely to tear at the edges of the fingers. As does using a curved needle rather than a straight one. Pleather also handles easier if you work on it in a warm room, for some reason. Maybe it flexes more? And do you have a glove form? I have tried sewing gloves inside out on a glove form, and it's much easier and faster. Good luck!

In all honesty I hadn't even thought of using waxed thread! It gives me an excellent opportunity to compare though, since I've almost finished one glove already. I can also confirm warm pleather is easier to work than cold, it becomes just slightly stretchier and easier to handle that way. A glove form, hmmm... I don't have one but considering how often I'm cosplaying characters that wear gloves one might indeed come handy...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #496 on: January 05, 2016, 04:07:51 PM »
Neither of those things would ever have occurred to me (then again, I'd probably just buy gloves because I'm crap enough at sewing as is, and gloves would be a pain).
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #497 on: January 05, 2016, 04:37:29 PM »
One of my aunts showed me how to make gloves when I was a girl. Pleather wasn't thought of then, one used pigskin, deerskin or calfskin or other fine leather, or else fabric. Gloves were expensive if you could buy them at all (World War 2 was a tough time for fashion), but ladies were expected to wear them to anything formal. My hands were an odd difficult to fit shape even then, when they weren't gnarly with arthritis, being very square-palmed and short fingered, with the left slightly bigger than the right. So I learned to make my own.

Also, Laufey, not sure if I mentioned, but I am enjoying watching the progress of your costume. You'd fit right in at our Mediaeval Fair, should your travels ever take you to South Australia in May.

And Luth, that's a great photo! Accidental cosplay indeed!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #498 on: January 05, 2016, 07:30:37 PM »
A glove form, hmmm... I don't have one but considering how often I'm cosplaying characters that wear gloves one might indeed come handy...
I see what you did there. ;)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #499 on: January 06, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »
One of my aunts showed me how to make gloves when I was a girl. Pleather wasn't thought of then, one used pigskin, deerskin or calfskin or other fine leather, or else fabric. Gloves were expensive if you could buy them at all (World War 2 was a tough time for fashion), but ladies were expected to wear them to anything formal. My hands were an odd difficult to fit shape even then, when they weren't gnarly with arthritis, being very square-palmed and short fingered, with the left slightly bigger than the right. So I learned to make my own.

Now that's something we didn't have in my family.  Nobody really did more than minor repairs (and to this day, I can do minor repairs and a basic hem and that's about it).  Of course, I also know people who've chaired Costumecon. I should be able to learn!

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Róisín

« Reply #500 on: January 06, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »
Yes, I had gathered from some of your posts that you were deeply into SF Cons. They were something I used to greatly enjoy, though I don't get to them often these years. (No money, don't drive anymore, and can't be away from home for more than a few days.) I've been to several Worldcons though, as well as a lot of other cons. Mostly I was there for the filk and the writing workshops, but used to do masquerades in my reenactment gear: SCA, NVG, Viking Society and the like.) Since I liked hand-making my kit, including mail, it was reasonably authentic-looking.

I was an active live-steel fighter, so the armour had to be good. Used to make mail with two pairs of pliers, from heavy-gauge wire. Once a piece of mail was past the stage of needing to be on a frame, one could carry it about like knitting, only heavier. The bus conductor on our local route was another reenactor, and a cofounder of the NVG. When I was catching the last bus home from work of a night it was usually quite empty, so he and I could often be found in the back of the bus, happily knitting mail together through the hourlong trip, getting bewildered looks from the few other passengers.

I used to hand-make gambesons and heavy tunics to wear under mail, so LOTS of experience at hand-sewing leather!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:23:57 PM by Róisín »

LadyRamkin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #501 on: January 11, 2016, 05:25:23 PM »
Tuuri Pics!

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #502 on: January 11, 2016, 05:38:31 PM »
Tuuri Pics!

What a brilliant Tuuri! :D
And an A++ book reading attitude!
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #503 on: January 11, 2016, 05:45:37 PM »
Tuuri Pics!
You make a perfect Tuuri ! :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #504 on: January 11, 2016, 06:07:36 PM »

Super cute Tuuri and how on earth does she read books, that's cat-level "that can't be comfortable but somehow it seems to be". :D Much love to the socks!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #505 on: January 11, 2016, 06:14:12 PM »
Tuuri Pics!

Oh my gosh, you make such a wonderful Tuuri! That is totally how I imagine she would read books in her spare time. :)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #506 on: January 11, 2016, 08:50:35 PM »

Róisín

« Reply #507 on: January 11, 2016, 10:12:40 PM »
Lady Ramkin, that's a lovely Tuuri! Very feline in her postures. And I do see what the book is!

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #508 on: January 13, 2016, 07:37:20 AM »
Tuuri Pics!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh so much YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been waiting for a Tuuri cosplay for so long and this is so wonderful and totally worth the wait >"< (and I completely accept that that is how Tuuri would read books :P)
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

LadyRamkin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #509 on: January 14, 2016, 10:02:10 PM »
Thanks every one!   :D Maybe i'll work on more pictures later! Maybe even . . . OUTSIDE