Author Topic: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play  (Read 46963 times)

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Person by day, asleep by night.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/that idiot/ Anything else you feel like using
Re: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »
Having not found him below the deck, Saga goes outside...

Wait, no, wherefore was right.
After the initial shock of seeing him up on the mast, Saga quickly calms down. It's a mast, it's solid and strong. It can't snap in half from one idiot. And he is climbing it reasonably confidently, so it was clear it to her that he did this before.
At least she now knows who to send up there if she needs a lookout on the open sea.
 :is: "Oliver! Please come down, I have a question for you" she shouts from below.

Oliver slides down the mast like it's a fireman's pole, lands with a confident thud and asks  :is: "What's the question?"
:gb:-Native speaker
:fr:-conversational (once upon a time (2 years ago))
:fi:-basics
old english (wessex)-some
:ru:-can swear

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2020, 12:10:32 PM »
:is: "I'm afraid so, nobody else applied..." And they had to wait for an application, too. The Council politely informed Leif and her that if they set sail without a mage on board, they will send no rescue missions, no matter how close or far from home they are.
Not that they would send one if they get stuck in Mediterranean, but still.
And the response was particularly rude, since Saga isn't so stupid to leave into the Silent World without someone who can see, sense or deal with bad stuff in a bit more effective way than a handgun.
"The paint is in the storage room, yes. I will need your divination skills, too... but that can wait for a bit." Oliver, Oliver, wherefore art thou, Oliver... Wait, no, wherefore means 'why'.
:no: "Also, it's not that I mind you setting up the whole forge in here, under deck, right next to the sleeping cabins," it was the only place to set up, really. "But please check if the ventilation system is right. I'd prefer we didn't choke and die from smoke of all things" she absentmindedly tells Harald. "I'll come back for you soon."
With that, she leaves to find Oliver.

":is: Oh. Oh well, I suppose it is a really dangerous trip. Uh, just tell me when you need me."

She was kinda hoping to have someone to hang out with in her dreamspace apart from her Fylgia, but well, you couldn´t have everything. Onto painting runes, now! Before she leaves, she quickly smiles at Harald pointing to his halfway finished Harpoons.

":is: These are looking amazing, you´re really good at this."
At that moment Dísa realizes he probably doesn´t speak Icelandic, or Saga wouldn´t have adressed him in Norwegian. Oh well, too late. She just smiles again and hopes she got the point across. She also smiles at the medic with the sweather who is peeking in the room and then leaves.
While walking out she starts considering painting a noise-blocking-rune on the door to the forge should there be left-over paint. The room is dangerously close to the sleeping-cabins, and from what she saw, the one the furthest away from it is already taken. Getting some sleep before venturing into the death zone would be good.

She leaves her luggage in the common area for now, especially carefully putting down the guitar. It´s a bit warm already, she shouldn´t have brought it into the forge. But there is time to worry about that later. She gets her rune-book out of the backpack. She has drawn the safety-runes a million times before on her family´s boats, but this time she really doesn´t want to get anything wrong.

Some black paint and brushes are standing right at the front of the storage room. It is really good one actually, waterproof, drying fast and ideal for wooden or metal surfaces. But it´s not a lot, she´ll definitly need to get more for the rest of the trip.

Oliver slides down the mast like it's a fireman's pole, lands with a confident thud and asks  :is: "What's the question?"

Dísa reaches the deck right in time to watch the scout´s bold slide off of the mast. Woah, either he grew up on a boat or he´s really crazy. She turns her attention back to painting a huge protection-rune in the middle of the deck. She just hopes noone steps on it before it´s dry.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 04:04:31 PM by Mirasol »
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »

Saga steps back as he lands, ready to give him space or call for help. But he's uninjured. :is: "Right. Uh. Do you know anything about the Scottish pirates? Their routes, their speed, likeliness they would attack us?" she asks. "I have some concerns about the Northern Sea. Is it safe to try and sail between England and Ireland?" She steps a bit to the side when Dísa begins to do her magic arts and crafts.

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2020, 12:35:18 PM »
Saga steps back as he lands, ready to give him space or call for help. But he's uninjured. :is: "Right. Uh. Do you know anything about the Scottish pirates? Their routes, their speed, likeliness they would attack us?" she asks. "I have some concerns about the Northern Sea. Is it safe to try and sail between England and Ireland?" She steps a bit to the side when Dísa begins to do her magic arts and crafts.

"Of course. I know some of them personally." He smiles as mentions it, anticipating Saga's reaction. "They won't attack us, we're clearly both too small and going the wrong way to be a supply ship. Sailing through the Irish sea should be safe, if rather rough, we haven't had any lethviathans in there for ages, I think they prefer the open ocean, although I did see some pretty big beasts that had gotten themselves beached when I went to the Isle of Mann. But overall, the north sea and the Irish sea, then the English channel seems like the best bet, but I know nothing beyond that. I literally learned that there even was anything beyond that and the french coast less than an hour ago."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 06:26:01 AM by R.M.S.N.P »

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2020, 12:49:31 PM »

"Of course. I know some of them personally." He smiles as mentions it, anticipating Saga's reaction. "They won't attack us, we're clearly both too small and going the wrong way to be a supply ship. Sailing through the Irish sea should be safe, we haven't had any leviathans in there for ages, I think they prefer the open ocean, although I did see some pretty big beasts that had gotten themselves beached when I went to the Isle of Mann. But overall, the north sea and the Irish sea, then the English channel seems like the best bet, but I know nothing beyond that. I literally learned that there even was anything beyond that less than an hour ago."

Uhh... No, the man just learned Icelandic. He probably misunderstood some words. She carefully listens to his recollection of the areas.
Alright, so, Northern Sea was safe from the questionable, concerning and vague activities she heard about the general area of Germany and Poland. They will head to the south through it, then, making a wide circle around England, if necessary. Possibly stopping in Amsterdam, Edinburgh and London, if their mage and scout agree it's reasonably safe to enter them. On their way back, they could go through the Irish Sea, the Isle of Mann that Oliver mentioned, and possibly Belfast and Dublin. And Liverpool, maybe. It's also on the sea, if she remembers correctly.
Great.
:is: "Good, thank you."

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »
Harald looks at Saga's back, then up at the vents in the ceiling that had already been installed.
Really, did she think him an idiot?

Hrm.
:no: "We should have some considerable time before we depart, yes?" he asks Doc, who is the closest person.

:no: "...wha?" Doc, who was zoning out and thinking about his work, comes back to consciousness. "Ah, I believe so? What do you mean by considerable time? I think we have the rest of today?"

He scratches at his chin. "Mmm. If we have the rest of today, actually..." Maybe he should poke around the storage, make sure all of the medical supplies are in order.
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

phyrestorm999

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »
:no: "I'm Astrid Nilsen, engineer for the ship and a cat trainer if the need arises for that." Astrid holds out her hand. :no: "Nice to, ah, officially meet you." She gives Marianne a grin.
:no: "Likewise."

Marianne shakes the offered hand and belatedly remembers to smile back.

:no: "Did the, uh, captain not give you the ship's specs?" 

Of course she didn't.  That would be too sensible.
Miranda
5/17/2001 - 7/14/2018
Beautiful Fighter, Loyal Friend, Badass Cat

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2020, 05:21:07 PM »
":is: Oh. Oh well, I suppose it is a really dangerous trip. Uh, just tell me when you need me."

She was kinda hoping to have someone to hang out with in her dreamspace apart from her Fylgia, but well, you couldn´t have everything. Onto painting runes, now! Before she leaves, she quickly smiles at Harald pointing to his halfway finished Harpoons.

":is: These are looking amazing, you´re really good at this."
At that moment Dísa realizes he probably doesn´t speak Icelandic, or Saga wouldn´t have adressed him in Norwegian. Oh well, too late. She just smiles again and hopes she got the point across. She also smiles at the medic with the sweather who is peeking in the room and then leaves.
While walking out she starts considering painting a noise-blocking-rune on the door to the forge should there be left-over paint. The room is dangerously close to the sleeping-cabins, and from what she saw, the one the furthest away from it is already taken. Getting some sleep before venturing into the death zone would be good.

She leaves her luggage in the common area for now, especially carefully putting down the guitar. It´s a bit warm already, she shouldn´t have brought it into the forge. But there is time to worry about that later. She gets her rune-book out of the backpack. She has drawn the safety-runes a million times before on her family´s boats, but this time she really doesn´t want to get anything wrong.

Some black paint and brushes are standing right at the front of the storage room. It is really good one actually, waterproof, drying fast and ideal for wooden or metal surfaces. But it´s not a lot, she´ll definitly need to get more for the rest of the trip.

Dísa reaches the deck right in time to watch the scout´s bold slide off of the mast. Woah, either he grew up on a boat or he´s really crazy. She turns her attention back to painting a huge protection-rune in the middle of the deck. She just hopes noone steps on it before it´s dry.

Harald looks up from where he's standing in the forge at the same moment the rune is finished. He hums slightly.

:no: "...wha?" Doc, who was zoning out and thinking about his work, comes back to consciousness. "Ah, I believe so? What do you mean by considerable time? I think we have the rest of today?"

He scratches at his chin. "Mmm. If we have the rest of today, actually..." Maybe he should poke around the storage, make sure all of the medical supplies are in order.

:no: "That is workable. My thanks."

:no: "Likewise."

Marianne shakes the offered hand and belatedly remembers to smile back.

:no: "Did the, uh, captain not give you the ship's specs?" 

Of course she didn't.  That would be too sensible.

Harald tilts his head at the sound of conversation drifting from the common room. He moves towards the engine room. Now, where had that cabinet been...ah. There. He finds a thick booklet and plucks it out of the plastic-fronted drawers it's kept in, before heading to the common room and tapping Astrid on the shoulder.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2020, 06:06:13 PM »
Leo arches an eyebrow as Oliver slid down the mast, half expecting a bone grinding crunch, when none produced itself he silently made his way down the gang plank to go do gis shopping. First stop would be a clothing store for some extra clothing.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2020, 06:14:39 PM »
Uhh... No, the man just learned Icelandic. He probably misunderstood some words. She carefully listens to his recollection of the areas.
Alright, so, Northern Sea was safe from the questionable, concerning and vague activities she heard about the general area of Germany and Poland. They will head to the south through it, then, making a wide circle around England, if necessary. Possibly stopping in Amsterdam, Edinburgh and London, if their mage and scout agree it's reasonably safe to enter them. On their way back, they could go through the Irish Sea, the Isle of Mann that Oliver mentioned, and possibly Belfast and Dublin. And Liverpool, maybe. It's also on the sea, if she remembers correctly.
Great.
 :is: "Good, thank you."

"If we're not leaving yet, and so we can explore the town, can you explain to me what "money" is? The baker kept saying that and "Kronur" when I offered various things to swap for a pastry. I assume it's something to do with these things that I found" He takes a few coins from a pocket "because the baker seemed happier when I eventually gave him these. They don't seem very useful, so why does he want them? Are they magic or something weird and high tech?"

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2020, 06:18:51 PM »
Harald tilts his head at the sound of conversation drifting from the common room. He moves towards the engine room. Now, where had that cabinet been...ah. There. He finds a thick booklet and plucks it out of the plastic-fronted drawers it's kept in, before heading to the common room and tapping Astrid on the shoulder.

Someone taps Astrid on the shoulder, and she turns around to face the blacksmith. I don't think I know his name. She realised. The fact that she had to strain her neck to look him in the eyes is a little off putting as well.

:no: "Ah, hello. Do you need something Mr..."
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2020, 06:27:53 PM »

"If we're not leaving yet, and so we can explore the town, can you explain to me what "money" is? The baker kept saying that and "Kronur" when I offered various things to swap for a pastry. I assume it's something to do with these things that I found" He takes a few coins from a pocket "because the baker seemed happier when I eventually gave him these. They don't seem very useful, so why does he want them? Are they magic or something weird and high tech?"

Oh gods. :is: "The coins are money. Money is an universal medium of exchange for goods and services in the Known World. Instead of trading items that may or may not have worth to the baker, you exchange money, which has a determined value known and accepted by all. The items like pastries will have prices on them, and you'll have to pay the amount of money written on the price to get the item" she carefully explains, wondering if Oliver can read. Wondering if he can read numbers.

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2020, 07:02:51 PM »
Oh gods. :is: "The coins are money. Money is an universal medium of exchange for goods and services in the Known World. Instead of trading items that may or may not have worth to the baker, you exchange money, which has a determined value known and accepted by all. The items like pastries will have prices on them, and you'll have to pay the amount of money written on the price to get the item" she carefully explains, wondering if Oliver can read. Wondering if he can read numbers.

"So they're just shiny metal disks? Boring. But the same thing isn't worth the same amount to everyone. I still think our system is better, each person ends up with what they want without any faffing around."

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2020, 07:06:11 PM »

"So they're just shiny metal disks? Boring. But the same thing isn't worth the same amount to everyone. I still think our system is better, each person ends up with what they want without any faffing around."

:is: "Just because the store sets its price, it doesn't mean you can't go to another store if you dislike it. Alternatively, in places where the price isn't set, you can attempt haggling" Saga explains.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2020, 07:08:18 PM »
Someone taps Astrid on the shoulder, and she turns around to face the blacksmith. I don't think I know his name. She realised. The fact that she had to strain her neck to look him in the eyes is a little off putting as well.

:no: "Ah, hello. Do you need something Mr..."

:no: "Harald. Harald Heikki. I believe this might help. It's the ship's manual," he says, handing her the book. :no: "I saw it while I was making sure the planners of this journey had not procured a glorified scrapheap of a vessel in a misguided attempt to pinch pennies. Thankfully, they did not."
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.