Author Topic: Writers' Corner  (Read 41007 times)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: Writers' Corner
« Reply #270 on: March 15, 2017, 09:33:13 PM »
So, I put everything I want feedback on (so far) up here on AO3, to give you guys more options for feedback.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #271 on: April 07, 2017, 10:55:19 PM »

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #272 on: November 04, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »
So, do any of the denizens of the Forum have anything to add to this discussion, which I think is at least noteworthy?

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #273 on: November 07, 2018, 01:48:13 PM »
Hi, I've just found this thread and I wanted to share my thoughts on the question of whether a character can exist separately from the setting (yes, I know it's long overdue, but I can't help it, having only now found my way here). Because I believe it is, in fact, possible for a character to exist outside a single setting, under two important conditions:
1. They have to be designed to operate separately from the setting. If you want to use your character in several settings, they must be conceivably able to act beyond the bounds of the setting they're introduced in.
2. They must be a static character. That's because the character development is inherently related to the plot, and the plot is inherently related to the setting. And while I think it's possible to carry over character development between settings, I don't think it should be done, because it would inevitably result in a lot of confusion on the readers' side.

A few of my characters are shared between all of my main universe's settings,  and while my settings are of course designed to accommodate them, I believe a character like Death could conceivably fit into pretty much any story with fantasy/supernatural elements.

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #274 on: November 10, 2018, 02:42:21 AM »
Is this where we whine about our writing process? Because I just started a new story and it was supposed to be a short simple Emil/Lalli hurt/comfort story. I had it pretty much laid out. Not the exact details but the very basics I need to get a story and actually get it together pretty well.

But then

Just as I sat down and started writing

My brain just went "but what if we make it Lalli/Reynir instead"

The very basic is still gonna be pretty much the same but now I need to get it to work in a slightly different way and instead of just being simple hurt/comfort it started out angst... How do you all handle your brain suddenly deciding to take stories in a different direction? =/
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #275 on: November 10, 2018, 06:44:45 AM »
If my brain does that to me when I am writing, I save the draft I have in case the new path turns out to be a dead end, then follow the path my brain suggests. Sometimes the brain can come up with remarkable things!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

AndrogynousAutarch

• Preferred pronouns: He/ Him/ They
« Reply #276 on: November 16, 2020, 07:36:20 PM »
Personally, I've been at odds with myself as a writer. My nature and interests tend toward some specific subjects and themes, but sometimes I wonder If I should be challenging myself more as a writer.

For example:

I start with what is supposed to be a simple story about two people falling in love.

The result:

One of them is from a totalitarian police state that has encroached on and invades different peoples and moves on like locusts and the other's family is part of a movement that may have its own ambitions regarding this state.

It is not long before themes of totalitarianism and anthropolgy get in there and copious amounts of otherworldly elements. I realize that it may be the stuff that I'm reading that's getting to me, but still. It's not uncommon for me to take a simple subject and fill it up with me-isms. This is also good though, as it works to make my work distinct and unique.

On the one hand, I could sharpen and specialize myself and on the other I could diversify my content and subject matter.
The king of all creation fell out of heaven, usurped by a seven headed beast. But the old king shall choose a new, and he will ignite the Third Conquest. He will be flanked by a white and a black flame, His coming will be followed by 108 burning stars. He will bear the terrible heat of the voice in his brow, the mark of his lordliness. He will face the beast—and he will annihilate it.
He will wield the terrible blade of Want, and the pillars of heaven will quake with his coming.
And his name—his

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #277 on: November 17, 2020, 11:56:56 AM »
One thing you might like as a an exercise / challenge for yourself could be to participate in the little art challenges we have here. We’ve done it for chapter breaks lately, as well as the recent YoinkTober. Both writing and visual arts (as well as any other media) count. Write a short vignette on each prompt, using the SSSS (or ARtD) world and/or characters. This will keep you from wandering off to your recurring themes, and is low effort so works as quick practice. Plus it’s great fun, if you choose to share your work :)

Prior to SSSS I was frankly derisive of the whole idea of fanfiction, but having tried it I love it! It’s so much easier to get started with an existing world, characters and audience that knows them. Yet still fanfiction is not really bound by the canon, so it allows a great variety!

Pleased don’t be offended, I understand you do proper writing and take it seriously. I’m not suggesting you should switch to fanfiction! But the little challenges could be nice and easy snacks!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

AndrogynousAutarch

• Preferred pronouns: He/ Him/ They
« Reply #278 on: November 17, 2020, 05:25:31 PM »
I suppose I was intending to get in on some fan activities while here. Sure! That sounds like it will work. Minna and I seem to share some interests.
The king of all creation fell out of heaven, usurped by a seven headed beast. But the old king shall choose a new, and he will ignite the Third Conquest. He will be flanked by a white and a black flame, His coming will be followed by 108 burning stars. He will bear the terrible heat of the voice in his brow, the mark of his lordliness. He will face the beast—and he will annihilate it.
He will wield the terrible blade of Want, and the pillars of heaven will quake with his coming.
And his name—his

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #279 on: August 22, 2021, 05:59:56 AM »
So I have already blathered all over the fanfic forum, but I might as well push up my post count by poking in here, too.

I would absolutely love to discuss the craft of writing (my stuff is mostly lighthearted, but I am pretty cerebral about how I put it together).

Are any of the challenges still happening?
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2021, 08:00:24 AM »
We currently (until the end of Sunday today) have a Chapter Break Filler ongoing on the Events board. Due to reasons of privacy and admin consideration, the Events board is visible for users with a minimum of 10 posts. So, you’ll be able to see it soon!

Current prompt is War / Peace (so either or both). The break will be over on Monday, but works can be added next week too - in fact I have hopes that at least a couple of more works are in the making.

We usually have a challenge for the breaks as well as several other times around the year. We’ll see how it goes this year with YoinkTober (you’ll see soon) and Advent Calendar. I hope we can keep them up, although the fandom did take a major hit with the “bunny comic” early this year (let’s not discuss that here, there’s a thread for the bunny comic and a few threads about Forum / fandom future elsewhere, if you need any pointers let me know).
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.