Author Topic: WordNerding  (Read 32514 times)

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: WordNerding
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2015, 07:33:33 PM »
as a finnish word, I do love Kakkiainen, which I was just thought and it grew on me xD (my brother's fav finnish word is perkele, he even used it for long time as his nickname xD)

for hungarian, the "szaunni", which is not even an actual word. it was a wordplay/joke in a hungarian movie, related to Sauna (people asked for Sauna there). this word was described by a probably nordic person as Sauna, while the person (not hungarian but in hungary) was thinking of the toilette. this word is a verb means something about "doing something in the wooden cabin" (the actual discription of sauna was "wooden cabin where you sit naked" which applies both Sauna and the old toilettes. and in hungary the Saunas were not known)
so the actual meaning is more like "peeing/pooing in the toilette"
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2015, 05:32:18 AM »
as a finnish word, I do love Kakkiainen, which I was just thought and it grew on me xD (my brother's fav finnish word is perkele, he even used it for long time as his nickname xD)

for hungarian, the "szaunni", which is not even an actual word. it was a wordplay/joke in a hungarian movie, related to Sauna (people asked for Sauna there). this word was described by a probably nordic person as Sauna, while the person (not hungarian but in hungary) was thinking of the toilette. this word is a verb means something about "doing something in the wooden cabin" (the actual discription of sauna was "wooden cabin where you sit naked" which applies both Sauna and the old toilettes. and in hungary the Saunas were not known)
so the actual meaning is more like "peeing/pooing in the toilette"
Pffffft, amazing!
Speaking of wordplay, one of my favourite ones is a Chinese poem called "Lion Eating Poet in the Stone Den", or 施氏食狮史 (also read as Shī Shì shí shī shǐ).

The full poem in Chinese is:
Spoiler: show

石室诗士施氏,嗜狮,誓食十狮。
氏时时适市视狮。
十时,适十狮适市。
是时,适施氏适市。
氏视是十狮,恃矢势,使是十狮逝世。
氏拾是十狮尸,适石室。
石室湿,氏使侍拭石室。
石室拭,氏始试食是十狮。
食时,始识是十狮尸,实十石狮尸。
试释是事。

but is read like this:

Spoiler: show

Shíshì shīshì Shī Shì, shì shī, shì shí shí shī.
Shì shíshí shì shì shì shī.
Shí shí, shì shí shī shì shì.
Shì shí, shì Shī Shì shì shì.
Shì shì shì shí shī, shì shǐ shì, shǐ shì shí shī shìshì.
Shì shí shì shí shī shī, shì shíshì.
Shíshì shī, Shì shǐ shì shì shíshì.
Shíshì shì, Shì shǐ shì shí shì shí shī.
Shí shí, shǐ shí shì shí shī shī, shí shí shí shī shī.
Shì shì shì shì.

Ultimate wordplay, basically.  8)
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2015, 05:42:57 AM »
Well, in Welsh butterfly is "pili-pala" and microwave is "popty-ping" and that's so great.
I also have a bit of a soft spot for "vexed", in English.
Also, pretty much all Icelandic.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2015, 06:03:18 AM »
Also, pretty much all Icelandic.

In Icelandic I really like the word læra (learn). I love the way the vowel sounds against the R. And then there's fjarlægðina (the distance) which also makes me really happy mostly because the sound just kind of flows right across it. It got added to my list when it showed up in a song I really like.

In English I like the word meander. I like stretching out all the vowels like meeeeaaaaaannnder. Melisma is another wonderful English word, especially because it sounds like a medical problem, but it's really a musical term. Hemiola is another musical term that sounds like a medical problem. They're both really fun to say. So is forensic anthropologist.

In French it's chaussurs (shoes) especially ses chaussurs (her/his shoes) which is really fun to say and also sometimes hard :P

In Danish oohhh there are a lot of Danish words that I really like igennem (through) just because it's fun to say, and it's also in a song and also the word anderledes (different). The word lejlighed (apartment) is also a wonderful thing to hear and a very hard thing to say.

In Swedish it's no competition, my favourite word hands down is and will always be sköldpadda (turtle). I sometimes look this word up on the internet just to hear it said. It is beautiful. You should all go listen to it being said right now.

I don't know any Finnish really but this song I was listening to has the word seuraavan and I really really like how all the vowels go. They just flow. I love it. (Also I have no idea what this word means, so hopefully it's not bad or anything :P)

Sorry Norwegian for leaving you out, I should really find some more favourite Norwegian words, because there are some but I can't think of them right now. I will make edits when they come to me.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:31:18 AM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2015, 06:35:52 AM »
In French it's chausseurs (shoes) especially ses chausseurs (her/his shoes) which is really fun to say and also sometimes hard :P
Ahem, excuse me... "chaussures" ;)
Hard to say ? Your teacher must have been nice not to make you say "Les chaussettes de l'archiduchesse sont-elles sèches, archi-sèches ?" ^^ (Even for us the tongue makes bows very quickly.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2015, 06:40:56 AM »
Hard to say ? Your teacher must have been nice not to make you say "Les chaussettes de l'archiduchesse sont-elles sèches, archi-sèches ?" ^^ (Even for us the tongue makes bows very quickly.)

Whoops I can't spell :Þ

Also I've heard that one! I forget who from though. Maybe one of my teachers or my aunt.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2015, 06:53:37 AM »
Weren't the chasseurs, like, cavalry?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2015, 06:59:55 AM »
Weren't the chasseurs, like, cavalry?

Yes, but the term derives from a different verb, chasser (no U), which means chase or hunt. 

(English borrowed the word "chase" after the Norman Conquest, when only the French-speaking upper classes were -- theoretically -- allowed to hunt game animals.  A similar thing went on in the farmyard.  Words for most *living* farm animals stem from Anglo-Saxon -- cow, bull, calf, sheep, pig, chicken, etc. -- but when killed and cooked, their meat is described in French terms:  beef, veal, mutton, pork, poultry, and so forth.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2015, 07:07:42 AM »
Yes, but the term derives from a different verb, chasser (no U), which means chase or hunt. 

(English borrowed the word "chase" after the Norman Conquest, when only the French-speaking upper classes were -- theoretically -- allowed to hunt game animals.  A similar thing went on in the farmyard.  Words for most *living* farm animals stem from Anglo-Saxon -- cow, bull, calf, sheep, pig, chicken, etc. -- but when killed and cooked, their meat is described in French terms:  beef, veal, mutton, pork, poultry, and so forth.)
Ah, thanks- my only knowledge of French military history comes solely from Bernard Cornwell novels, so..

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2015, 07:45:20 AM »
Ah, thanks- my only knowledge of French military history comes solely from Bernard Cornwell novels, so..
Haha, all I know how to say in French is "Hello, I can't speak French well, do you know how to speak English, please?"
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2015, 07:50:57 AM »
Haha, all I know how to say in French is "Hello, I can't speak French well, do you know how to speak English, please?"

Always the most useful thing to say in any language :P

Lainer3

« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2015, 08:18:11 AM »
In Danish oohhh there are a lot of Danish words that I really like igennem (through) just because it's fun to say, and it's also in a song and also the word anderledes (different). The word lejlihed (apartment) is also a wonderful thing to hear and a very hard thing to say.

In Swedish it's no competition, my favourite word hands down is and will always be sköldpadda (turtle). I sometimes look this word up on the internet just to hear it said. It is beautiful. You should all go listen to it being said right now.

Those are some interesting words you like in Danish... Just for the record, it's spelled lejlighed, which both means apartment, and also occasion.

And turtle in Danish is almost the same as in Swedish  ;)

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2015, 08:30:37 AM »
Those are some interesting words you like in Danish... Just for the record, it's spelled lejlighed, which both means apartment, and also occasion.

And turtle in Danish is almost the same as in Swedish  ;)

It seems like I can't spell anything today. Oh dear... my computer only supports one spell check at a time, and I know I couldn't even manage English without it.

And turtle in Swedish sounds different than it sounds in Danish. I have a small linguistic crush on the 'sk' sound in Swedish :P

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2015, 09:29:22 AM »
I like the word "splurge". It's just fun to say  ;D splurge splurge splurge splurge splurge splurge splurge splurge splurge splurge splurge ok I'll stop now
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2015, 06:13:14 PM »
Hm, Swedish has many words I like. The ones I can remember at the moment are:

fjäril - butterfly
ihjäl - to death
kärlekstörst - lovethirst
möjligt - possible
hjärta - heart
genomskinlig - translucent

And pretty much the whole of Swedish language, I guess...  ::)
Native - :serbia:

Fluent - :uk: / :usa:

Moderate? - :sweden:  :italy:

Bits and pieces - :turkey:

atm? -              ^

Want to learn - pretty much anything, but mostly :latvia:, :greece:, Georgian, Modern Standard Arabic, Kalaallisut